Queen Letizia's Evening Wear Part 3: July 2016 - June 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Nico.... pandering to the antiquated IHA is not an option for the more liberated Queen of Spain, who looked perfectly respectable imo.

Last edited:
It is a beautiful evening dress, but not for that occasion. It wouldn't surprise me if her hosts found that dress embarrassing.
The other ladies are dressed in a much more conservative way.

Letizia should have chosen something else for a state visit to Japan; there are so many exquisite evening dresses that are more demure.

Nico , The Queen of Spain should have worn an evening dress as Queen Mathilde in Denmark and not showing her whole arms which are not the best of her.

But that's YOUR opinion ! For instance i thought that Mathilde looked like a giant christmas present and Maxima was a bit too flashy.
I perfectly understand that someone doesn't like the look of Letizia, it's a matter of taste after all.
But the thing that bothers me is that some members are insinuating that Letizia was literaly showing her boobs during a state dinner in Japan (which is not true ) and of course was disrespectful to her hosts (not true at all as well).

I perferctly understand that some of us are still mourning the good'ol state visits with all the pump, the gloves, the hats ... And i pretty know that some of us are still regretting Queen Sofia (and are more or less looking at Letizia with disdain).
It's a thing to like, or not, an outfit, it's another to insult the current Queen of Spain.

Last edited:
I thought it was a nice idea, though velvet is not my fav fabric.
Love her outfits so far in this tour.

Last edited:
The second dress is so much better than the one worn at the State Banquet. Had she worn this one with a floor length skirt she was the star of the evening at the imperial table.

The shoulder-pads are so exaggerated. I don't care for that.

This picture says all. Look at every lady. Do it one by one: the ladies at the main table, the ladies at the second table, the lady standing behind the main table. Find the person making the impression of wearing a negligé:

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8pbreJXYAA1ozx.jpg

my thoughts too. letizia stands out - but for the wrong reasons. i guess if she had her arms covered, this would have looked okay. cleavage + uncovered arms and shoulders were just not the wisest of sartorial choices for a state visit banquet in japan.

Insults... pffff... Several posrers thought it was actually a nice dress but not for a State Banquet in the Imperial Palace in Tokyo.

If that is an insult, what to think about the classification "Christmas tree" for Queen Mathilde, while she wore a petite diamond diadem and moderate jewels at the imperial banquet?

Last edited:
Lovely gown at the State dinner. Very good choice, but wished for a necklace. I'm not sure about this talk of "not appropriate" choice for that event. I've read all the comments and I can see the point in both sides. However, one must know that the Imperial princesses and the Empress all need to follow the Imperial agency rules, I think if the agency wasn't that conservative, they would have more freedom. I'm sure they were not "upset" or "insulted" by Letizia's choice of gown, it's very beautiful, anyone would envy to have one gown like that.

For the Imperial agency I understand. But naming Japan as whole nation of conservatism, is not correct. Japan is very traditional but also very modern at the same time. I don't know about you here, but I'm familiar with Japan and its society, and from what I've seen in Tokyo, you don't find conservatism at all. Okay, women don't show much cleavage, but you have no idea how many girls wears mini-skirts, mini-dresses and shorts. It was absolutely insane, especially in Shibuya or Harajuku. Even in winter! I could go on and on, really, conservatism is not a word I felt while there, tradition yes, but not conservatism.

Last edited:
The purple gown is absolutely stunning. She looked incredibly regal.

Armani Prive for Letizia this time ;)
http://assets.vogue.com/photos/55c650c608298d8be215e643/master/pass/00140fullscreen.jpg

Hope she won't get the same critizism she got the last time she wore the brand... :rolleyes:
This particular ensemble is awkward. European designers always fail to organically incorporate Asian elements in their clothing.
Lovely gown at the State dinner. Very good choice, but wished for a necklace. I'm not sure about this talk of "not appropriate" choice for that event. I've read all the comments and I can see the point in both sides. However, one must know that the Imperial princesses and the Empress all need to follow the Imperial agency rules, I think if the agency wasn't that conservative, they would have more freedom. I'm sure they were not "upset" or "insulted" by Letizia's choice of gown, it's very beautiful, anyone would envy to have one gown like that. ... [snipped].
[my bolding]
Is there any reason for anyone to envy? I personally envy ladies in Japanese kimonos as they are gracefully delicate. One might assume that Mrs Abe's kimono can be as expensive as the gala dress in question. When it comes to fashion, a key element for a Japanese woman is appropriateness. Some members found the gala ensemble inappropriate. That is all.

Last edited:
The blue evening dress is stunning BUT when you go on visit you have to respect the rules where you go. I did not know that Japanese court is conservative but the protocol responsibles of the Spanish court should know. When the Queen of England goes on visit abroad she's her trip prepared by her advisors because it is impossible for her to know the customs and mentalities of each place, and we never saw the Queen of England make mistakes. They same team should exist for the Queen of Spain. So two possibly reasons are for this "faux pas" Either the Spanish court counsellors are useless and they should be changed, or Letizia does not hear any advise and acts as per her only mind.
Maybe her sole criteria is to appear beautiful and does not give a damn to be appropriate.

State Dinner Japan wearing Varela's Disney dress, one of the most beautiful dresses, I like it.

Letizia saca en Japón su vestido más Princesa Disney

Great dress! :flowers: Needs an impressive necklace imo. Would have been perfection then.

SV to Japan, Day 2: Dinner at Akasaka Palace
A new black velvet dress with silk applications. I think I like it, but that piece of silk on her waist is very strange.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8uSO-dU0AAmB0i.jpg

Topflight imo. :flowers: Really handsome dress. Love the nod to Japanese design.

Last edited:
Letizia looked lovely. I think people fail to realize that the Japanese ladies pretty much wear their traditional formal kimonos in all formal situations. These gowns are extremely expensive and are worn over and over.

Is mrs. Abe wearing a negligee? Look at those lacy arms and that deep,scoop neck. The blue evening gown would have been fine with the matching necklace, slightly adjusted lower. The Armani prive is perfection

Last edited:
The blue evening dress is stunning BUT when you go on visit you have to respect the rules where you go. I did not know that Japanese court is conservative but the protocol responsibles of the Spanish court should know. When the Queen of England goes on visit abroad she's her trip prepared by her advisors because it is impossible for her to know the customs and mentalities of each place, and we never saw the Queen of England make mistakes. They same team should exist for the Queen of Spain. So two possibly reasons are for this "faux pas" Either the Spanish court counsellors are useless and they should be changed, or Letizia does not hear any advise and acts as per her only mind.
Maybe her sole criteria is to appear beautiful and does not give a damn to be appropriate.

Considering the plunging necklines of Silvia and backless dress of Diana, either the standards are not as prudish as people seem to think. Or she isn't alone.

There is no plunging neckline. Not even a sweet heart. Honestly only the Amish think that showing the nape of the neck is lingeray. No cleavage is shown.

As for tonight the dress is lovely. Save the shoulder pads and the waist. The sleeves are beautiful as is her styling.

Considering the plunging necklines of Silvia and backless dress of Diana, either the standards are not as prudish as people seem to think. Or she isn't alone.

There is no plunging neckline. Not even a sweet heart. Honestly only the Amish think that showing the nape of the neck is lingeray. No cleavage is shown.

As for tonight the dress is lovely. Save the shoulder pads and the waist. The sleeves are beautiful as is her styling.

I think people often commenting on royal fashion have no idea what royal fashion in the past 80 years looked liked and comment on a gown being "appropriate" and post their ideas of what "royal appropriate" must be in their minds.

Unlike in Japan, where the men in "grey suits" decide what the princesses wear and even influence the empress, monarchs in Europe have more freedom of choice. They are still bound by royal protocol but they are not restricted as much as Japanese royal women are. For those who do not understand what I'm talking about, you only have to look at Japanese princesses' style. They all look the same, their dresses are cut the same, they have similar pastel colours and wear jewelry apparently identical. Letizia, as Head of State consort from the visiting country was perfectly fine in her choice of dress.

Having said that, I don't like the blue ball gown, it's too Disney for Letizia. Her style is too sophisticated to wear this.

I love however the Armani dress, all of it. I think is a wonderful tribute to Japan and she looks superb.

Frankly, as a Spaniard I find your post insulting. There is no "faux pas" made by Spanish royal protocol. Queen Letizia is the wife of the Head of State and REPRESENTING Spain in Japan. She is not wearing a bikini or showing her knickers. She is wearing a ball gown that's actually pretty conservative by today's standards while representing our country.

The Queen of Spain is bound by Spanish protocol who are in permanent contact with their counterparts before State visits. EVERYTHING is agreed before the visit begins.

Good grief, I can just imagine the scandal in Spain if Letizia follows your advice of wearing a hijab or abaya because she has to comply to Saudi's dress customs and protocol on the next State visit to Saudi.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure where the idea has come from that Queen Letizia has avoided - deliberately or otherwise - Imperial Court protocols by wearing an inappropriate gown. It is rather a presumption with no basis at all given the following images:

The Asahi Shimbun Weekly Photos and Images | Getty Images

http://katemiddletonreview.com/wp-c...Imperial-Family-New-Years-greeting-2016-2.png

The gown itself is very beautiful and it's nice to see her wearing a dress with a fuller silhouette than usual.

Thank you. :flowers: the top of her dress is quite similar to the ladies in the far end, in purple and white. Especially the white dress.

@Alondra
I'm sorry if you felt this way. I clearly said from the beginning that personallly I did not know about Japanese court customs, but apparently Letizia dress was considered as non appropriate, you can see many posters. Assuming that it is, I said that it was not her faults but Protocol office's fault who should have advise, unless they did and she did not follow the advise.
I do not see where is the insult for the whole country, and I remind you that it is not the first time Letizia steps out inappropriate. I remember a Pasqua militar with 3/4 length pants and a shawl.
And nobody told her to wear a hijab. Just to be careful to slightly adapt outfits, according to where you go.
I presume that it would be less a scandal to officially visit the Swedish court wearing an ultra mini skirt and huge clivage, than the Saudi Arabian one.
I found her dress magnificent, but as posters said court is conservative, slightly cover arms and back could be ingenious

@Alondra
I'm sorry if you felt this way. I clearly said from the beginning that personallly I did not know about Japanese court customs, but apparently Letizia dress was considered as non appropriate, you can see many posters. Assuming that it is, I said that it was not her faults but Protocol office's fault who should have advise, unless they did and she did not follow the advise.
I do not see where is the insult for the whole country, and I remind you that it is not the first time Letizia steps out inappropriate. I remember a Pasqua militar with 3/4 length pants and a shawl.
And nobody told her to wear a hijab. Just to be careful to slightly adapt outfits, according to where you go.
I presume that it would be less a scandal to officially visit the Swedish court wearing an ultra mini skirt and huge clivage, than the Saudi Arabian one.
I found her dress magnificent, but as posters said court is conservative, slightly cover arms and back could be ingenious

a) Apparently because posters here find her dress inappropriate it becomes gospel.

b) Letizia has never worn a 3/4 length pant to a Pascua Militar. She's worn long grey pants with a beautiful shawl. I have no idea where you come from but in my country is perfectly acceptable for women, including the Queen, to wear pants in official engagements.

https://goo.gl/images/GzV9tQ

Last edited:
Why is it always a drama to say something remotely critical about Letizia?

Some posters found the dress pretty but not suitable for a State Dinner in Japan, some disagreed. What is fine. It's a matter of opinion. From what I read, nobody insulted Letizia or used a language that is against the rules of this forum.

What I find disturbing is that some posters think that they have kind of a last word on opinions or can determine what is right or wrong, that a negative opionion 'becomes gospel' as if it was a lie. It is not a lie, it's a matter of perception. Or because a magazin publishes an article about Letizia not toasting - in this case El Mundo - makes it trash.

a) Apparently because posters here find her dress inappropriate it becomes gospel.

b) Letizia has never worn a 3/4 length pant to a Pascua Militar. She's worn long grey pants with a beautiful shawl. I have no idea where you come from but in my country is perfectly acceptable for women, including the Queen, to wear pants in official engaments.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...608039822904527951&selectedIndex=0&ajaxhist=0

I think that fandesacs2003 is referring to some other events that involved the military where Letizia was very casually dressed what has been discussed at length already at this forum.

Letizia has worn pants very often to general military events, but only once for National Day military parade (the photo with the grey pants). The Pascua Militar event in January in always very formal with long skirt/dress, a code that Letizia has never broken.

Why is it always a drama to say something remotely critical about Letizia?

Some posters found the dress pretty but not suitable for a State Dinner in Japan, some disagreed. What is fine. It's a matter of opinion. From what I read, nobody insulted Letizia or used a language that is against the rules of this forum.

What I find disturbing is that some posters think that they have kind of a last word on opinions or can determine what is right or wrong, that a negative opionion 'becomes gospel' as if it was a lie. It is not a lie, it's a matter of perception. Or because a magazin publishes an article about Letizia not toasting - in this case El Mundo - makes it trash.

What I find disturbing is words like "inappropriate" when it refers to a dress.
I like it even less when Spanish protocol is called useless on a fashion forum. We all have different opinions whether we like a look or a particular style but people should take care the language they use. If you say " I hate her dress" is perfectly alright, making snide comments about the royal house is not ok specifically when the poster has no idea about royal Spanish protocol.

We have gone through this before. You have the right to speak your mind. So do I.

Last edited:

Time to move on. The drifting-off discussion has been removed. Thank you for your understanding!

(..)
As for the last night blue dress, which by the way I found magnificent I don't agree to call it Disney dress, I would say fairy tale dress.
We are in a fashion forum and when we dislike the use of an outfit it does not mean that we wish to hurt neither the person wearing it nor a whole country.
Inappropriate for an occassion does not mean ugly or vulgar. It mean that it just not fit in the special occasion.
And by the way who is the designer ? It can not be Caprile, Varela maybe?

The fairy tale dress is by Varela, other than that Letizia wore her usual Boss, an Armani Prive dress, I think the green dress was CH, no promotion of new spanish designers.

This blouse is a real no no for me. Not only is she too bony to make this look attractive, imo, it looks too,casual for a queen on duty. More of a backyard barbecue outfit to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom