Queen Elizabeth II's Fashion and Style Part 4: April 2012 - July 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
HM looked great at the races! The color was lovely on her and she looked so very happy.

For today's pageant, the Queen is wearing an ivory dress and coat in white Boucle fabric and threaded throughout with silk ribbon, designed by Angela Kelly. The Boucle has been embroidered with gold, silver and ivory spots and embellished with Swarovski crystals to reflect the River Thames. The outfit is finished with a silk organza frill. The Queen's hat has a swept up brim, the crown of which is made of the same material as the coat and details include feathers hand dyed in Buckingham Palace by one of Angela Kelly's team.

- The Queen
- The dress
- The hat

Last edited:
And she's wearing the Jardine Star brooch, one I've always associated with maritime events. A wonderful choice of brooch for today.

Last edited:
I am watching the event on a french TV, and Karl Lagerfield is a guest to comment about the fashion choices of the British royals. He said that what the Queen is wearing is nice, white coat and hat, but he didn't like the shawl and the black bag, he suggested if she had worn a cape from same coat's fabric on her coat, instead of holding a shawl, it would had been perfect. I actually agree with him, even if he's rude sometimes in his comments, but this time, he was more flegmatic :), and he had drawn a croquis alive to explain his idea.

Last edited:
Quite a mistake to have Angela Kelly design today's outfit, IMHO; Stewart Parvin has dressed the Queen far better on numerous occasions over the past few years.
The coat is neither memorable nor particularly attractive, and the hat looks - from what I've seen briefly in the live footage - actually quite unflattering on the Queen.

Queen Elizabeth's II ensemble was not exactly flattering.

Last edited:
I may be in minority, but I happen to think Her Majesty looked wonderful.
Most of all, I appreciate the symbolism behind every detail of the outfit; Angela Kelly did a good job.

HM looks wonderful, as always. Angela Kelly never lets the Queen down.

I may be in minority, but I happen to think Her Majesty looked wonderful.
Most of all, I appreciate the symbolism behind every detail of the outfit; Angela Kelly did a good job.

Agree with you in all. There is a reason people like me are not making fashion choices for Her Majesty! That would be quite a laugh but I am sure "We would not be amused" and that Karl Lagerfeld would experience utter apoplexy.

It is her attention to the people and to the details of her role (symbolic and not) that has strengthened Her Majesty's relationship with the realm over the years. She may make safe choices, but the focus is always on her realm rather than herself. It's refreshing in a world where we worship media hogs that the Queen gives us much of substance to admire.

Spoken like a true American, I know - but Her Majesty only seems to get better and better.

Not a massive fan of the outfit - dont like the ruffle down the front of the coat and the hat is not to my taste. But the colour works for the 'diamond' Queen

I appreciate the symbolism behind the creation of this outfit, but it's not the best look I've seen on the Queen. I do like the fabric of the coat, though, but the ruffles down the front and on the collar make it too fussy in combination with the sparkly material. I didn't like the hat as well, especially the feathers.

Last edited:
I am not a fan of this outfit on HM. It just doesn't flatter her. I am disappointed.

At first everything looked good on tv. But the more I look at it the less I like the whole look. I think I liked it at first because of the color. It really surprised me that she was in white(or ivory or however it should be described).

The more I look at pictures I realize the coat looks like a fancy bathrobe. The hat is ok but she's been wearing much nicer ones this year. And the shoes and bag need to go back to whatever decade they came from.

I think she looked lovely, and for a day that was freezing, wet and raining you wanted something for warmth as well.

I think Her Majesty looked lovely in white. It's a perfect color to stand out on a barge that is mostly red. She's elegant, as usual, and I do love that brooch.

I think Her Majesty looked lovely in white. It's a perfect color to stand out on a barge that is mostly red. She's elegant, as usual, and I do love that brooch.

I liked it too, and I like it even better close up where you can see the bits of gold in it. The hat is really unusual. Not sure if I like it, but it's certainly different!

White looks great on her but I don't like the coat. The hat is horrid.

HM wore a very special, beautifully designed outfit with lovely detail today. I liked the style of the hat and the enchanting detail.

Love the outfit- but not the hat- too satellite- dishy/ looks like a mushroom top! The hat is alien-esque!

Last edited:
HM wore a very special, beautifully designed outfit with lovely detail today. I liked the style of the hat and the enchanting detail.
I agree, she looked quite lovely and the colour was perfect as demonstrated when The Spirit of Chartwell took up station to review the flotilla. The Queen was clearly visible to all who passed.

I loved her ensemble. She always manages to look fabulous in white and this time out I think Angela Kelly and her team have outdone themselves. I just wish the sun had shone and we could have seen the sparkle of the crystals and the flash of her wonderful Jardine Star brooch.

Tonight at the Jubilee Concert, a very smart move in iconography:
The Queen appeared in an Admiral's Cloak - just like she did in the late 60s for a portrait by Cecil Beaton (his original idea which she was at first apprehensive about, if I remember correctly) and then again a few years ago for the far gloomier portrait by Annie Leibovitz who cited Beaton.

The Admiral's Cloak has exactly the quality of being timeless which was missing from her outfit for the river pageant which tried to repeat certain successes of the Queen's all-white evening looks but failed, IMHO.

Wasn't the cape worn in the famous portrait by Annigoni
Actually, no.
His first (romantic) portrait of her painted soon after her accession shows her in the robes of the Order of the Garter, the second (stark) portrait from the late 60s in the red robe of the Order of the Bath, if i remember correctly.

HM looks lovely in the golden dress, really beautiful. I adore that cape also.

She's the star of the weekend's celebrations, and tonight she truly looked it. I love the dress and the cape. Elegant and lovely. A true Queen.

Actually, no.
His first (romantic) portrait of her painted soon after her accession shows her in the robes of the Order of the Garter, the second (stark) portrait from the late 60s in the red robe of the Order of the Bath, if i remember correctly.
Mmmm, if you look at the link I posted it looks like the Admirals cape.

NGalitzine said:
Mmmm, if you look at the link I posted it looks like the Admirals cape.

Yes. The link you posted was the Beaton photo with the admiral cape, not the Anigoni painting with the garter cloak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom