Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie's Fashion and Style Part 2: June 2010 - June 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, Eugenie's dress looks good.
Beatrice's... hrm... well, not so much :p

Didn't Beatrice wear a sequined gown for the pre-wedding gala as well?

Yeah :p Apparently, the photos were from there... sorry :p

Last edited:
These girls can't dress to save their lives.
I don't like the dress Beatrice wore at the evening reception. She's had three misses for me: the pre wedding reception, the ceremony and the evening reception. She didn't look good at either event. She should fire her stylist.

Beatrice's dress at the evening reception looks like a Marchessa and she seems to have tucked the back of it in. Which is why it looks like that there is a picture of it on Net a Porter.

Does anyone know of a pic of Bea going to the reception? The pic of her leaving in the trainers/sneakers appears like the back end of the dress is tucked up in the waistband. I'm hoping that isn't the case!

Also here is a fun video from ABC News in the US. It aired in the US on the wedding recap show. The first 2 minutes mention hats at the wedding and how Cynthia McFadden (host) met Bea at the Philip Traceys.
Millinery Madness Video - ABC News

I wish the girls would stop wearing these over-the-top hats at wedding ceremonies. They would be more suitable for Ascot (actually perfect for Ascot!) but not for a royal wedding.

I agree, that hats were Ascot and Not Wedding (but I cannot fault the young ladies for making this mistake - stylist/designer/friends/advisors are to blame here).

These young women have to make a bewildering number of fashion decisions (especially recently). Someone needs to help them more (or they are churlish and refuse all offers of advice - an impression that will take more fashion mishaps for me to buy into).

I think (I hope) they want to look like fashionistas, but they really need to look around at what's going on, worldwide, in fashion and work with the bodies and faces they actually have - runway fashion is never going to look good on them. But it can be modified (Eugenie seems to be getting this and is pulling ahead of her sister, style-wise - which, if they are noticing it, must be a source of tension).

However, if Eugenie's dress was actually tucked up into the waistband and she wore sneakers home, we can guess that that particular dress struck her "party mood" button.

The amount that some have estimated that these two young women are spending on clothes is rather astonishing too, and the clothes seem to scream "I cost money!" and "My wearer wants attention!", maybe not because of how they are styled - but that's the response one has when one learns who the designers are and that they are one-offs.

Does anyone know of a pic of Bea going to the reception? The pic of her leaving in the trainers/sneakers appears like the back end of the dress is tucked up in the waistband. I'm hoping that isn't the case!

Also here is a fun video from ABC News in the US. It aired in the US on the wedding recap show. The first 2 minutes mention hats at the wedding and how Cynthia McFadden (host) met Bea at the Philip Traceys.

The skirt is tucked in it looks like she was dancing and the dress got in the way. Net a porter has a picture of the gown I haven't found any of her in the full dress.

I loved both evening dresses of Beatrice, although there's no good picture of the purple one.
Her outfit at the wedding, inclusive hat, ... I don't have words for that ;)

Sometimes simplicity is the best choice...they should follow that rule and see the results!

The evening dress from the night before the wedding was hideous - simply shows her lack of class and style.

The dress on the night of the wedding either is great or another hideous creation - depends on whether there was something wrong with the back side photo of she really was wearing a dress without a lower back.

Her taste is atrocious and getting worse rather than better.

The best dress she wore was to the wedding but it was ruined by that thing on her head. I really can't believe that any milliner actually would put his/her name out as having created that monstrosity. I also can't believe that the members of her family actually let her become the laughing stock of the world - what a sad family they must be to have allowed her to walk out the front door wearing that thing.

Where the dress is tucked in is where the back of the dress ended .

The best dress she wore was to the wedding but it was ruined by that thing on her head. I really can't believe that any milliner actually would put his/her name out as having created that monstrosity. I also can't believe that the members of her family actually let her become the laughing stock of the world - what a sad family they must be to have allowed her to walk out the front door wearing that thing.

Oh, I don't know...remember Bjork at the Oscars in her swan dress?
Now, remember any other dresses from the same year?

See what I mean? People still remember it!

If what Beatrice wanted was to be noticed, well, she got it!
Everyone else faded into obscurity while Beatrice was the center of attention, and maybe that was her goal all along?

...remembered for bad things:ermm:, I don't think that is a good thing...

I agree about that hat - the milliner [Stephen Treacy] has explained that it is a 'sculptured bow'. It just shows how little I know about the way of fashion - to me, it was just a collection of open spaces......although I can see a bow-shape now.

In the past [and I am talking about several years ago] Princess Anne used to be the most criticised Royal when it came to fashion: one particular outfit stands out in my mind - a too long brown tweed suit that made her look about 100 years old. It was shapeless, baggy and as I said, an unflattering length....

At that time, the Queen often rated a close second ['How can the Queen spend so much on handmade clothes only for them to look like she has bought them at a charity shop?' was the common cry from the Tabloids.] I can remember that one of Her Majesty's creations was covered in the most extraordinary little fabric bows everywhere. There was also an evening dress covered with California Poppies, as a tribute to hosts on a State Visit to the USA. But although no doubt a kindly-met compliment, it just looked.......strange.

And then I began to think things through and in my humble opinion, this is why I think the Royals tend to sport fashion disasters - it is firstly because most Royals are not particularly interested in fashion [which is actually no crime!] and secondly it is because, in my opinion, no one [due no doubt to a misguided sense of deference], has ever plucked up courage to tell them when they look ridiculous. I mean, if I had been invited to the Royal Wedding and set off wearing Beatrice's 'creation', my friends would have screamed with laughter and said ' Oh, No! Don't!!! You cannot leave the house looking like that!! You look terrible and will be a laughing stock!' It is my humble opinion that most of the BRF do not have friends either willing or able to give them objective advice.

The role of the designers who sell the royals these clothes and hats is very questionable. Do they feel unable tactfully to persuade their royal clients into something more suitable, or are they, as Designers, unable to produce consistently flattering work? Some of the styles you see on the catwalk are marvellous, others defy description.

ON the whole, the most stylish members of the BRF are those who have married into it. Poor Sarah has appeared in some expensively hideous mistakes, but then again, this is because in my very humble view, she has no interest in fashion.

However, at the end of the day, it is not a crime to be less than stylishly dressed. The only downside of inappropriate wear is when it diverts attention from the event to the wearer.

Only my views,

Alex

The dress Eugenie wore for the evening wedding reception was ok on here:) But im sorry to say this, but I dont think either Beatrice or Eugenie have any sense of style...its just to much of everything...

I liked they outfits both wore to the evening events. Beatrice's hat ruined her outfit. Eugenie's whole look was just a miss it was too much.
I think they need to keep it simple they can look really good. The Designers are not gonna tell them they look horrible and lose a sale the dress Beatrice wore for the evening wedding reception was over $5,000.00.

Last edited:
A good place to start for both York girls (and Chelsy) would be to go up at least one size. Nothing is more unattractive than tight clothing.

I hate to be rude, but that is hardly surprising! Not something I would do, but I am not surprised that others are...

Thanks for posting the video, glassary. I feel very sorry for Beatrice. She comes across as sweet and somewhat taken advantage of by Philip Treacy. The guileless way she assures Cynthia McFadden that she trusts him made me very sad. It's obvious she's trying her best, one would think in a Valentino dress and a fascinator by a famous fashionable milliner, one would be ok.

I note that Treacy was careful to be interviewed immediately after the wedding and very ungallantly made it clear that both Princesses of York had not told him what they wanted. Despite the success of his other hats/headpieces at the wedding, I think it reflects very badly on him that he was prepared to let a client look that bad, and then not take full responsibility for it. I feel that he was more concerned with trying to show how 'clever' he was rather than make Beatrice look beautiful and gorgeous, as he claims.

Thanks for posting that video, it's the very first time I've ever heard Beatrice's voice, totally lovely, charming, soft, and a bit shy. And not a speck of make-up to be had, a truly natural beauty imho.

With that drop dead gorgeous thick natural red hair, big blue doe eyes, exquisite skin, and lovely patrician features inherited from her father Prince Andrew, she makes a striking figure indeed and always has. Which is why I don't understand why a stylist or she herself has never outfitted her properly!

Seriously, with hair like that that most women would kill for, half of it alone could adorn 10 heads, not to mention the glorious natural color, it should n-e-v-e-r be covered up, ever. It's her crowning glory, just as the Bible states:

"does not even nature itself teach you that if a man has long hair, it is dishonor to him, but if a woman has long hair, it is glory to her." :heart1:

Huge understatement wherein Princess Beatrice is concerned, she has the hair of a goddess! Therefore, no more silly fascinators nor hats or anything of that nature. The most she should wear, if anything, on her head is a couple of dazzling small jeweled barrettes, like Alanis Morissette did when she performed her song "Uninvited":

YouTube - Alanis Morissette - Uninvited

That's it. Though I would prefer her to show off her hair like the Pre-Raphaelite Beauties did over a hundred years ago:

YouTube - Pre-Raphaelite women: Courtly Love & Medieval Romance

Most especially Beatrice reminds me of a mermaid, complete with thick fiery red hair, lovely white skin without a blemish, and those striking big blue eyes (which don't need any adornment either, they're striking just as they are, black eyeliner is not necessary whatsoever). And like a mermaid, I would like to see her outfitted in the turquose colors of the sea:

YouTube - Mermaids - Sirenas

:britflag: :cheers:SHOW OFF THAT ONCE-IN-A-LIFETIME THICK BEAUTIFUL GORGEOUS NATURAL RED HAIR, BEATRICE, IT'S HONESTLY YOUR "CROWNING GLORY", JUST AS THE BIBLE STATES!!!! :cheers: :britflag:

Beatrice really is strikingly pretty. As far as her hats and fascinators go, the simpler the better. I agree that her hair is one of her very best features, and she has a lovely slim figure now, nice skin, and arresting eyes.

Being a princess she will be wearing hats that is a given. She just needs to find a better designer to work with . He could have done something elegant and fun for her. He knew this was a royal wedding not Ascot where that hat would have looked fine.

Thanks for posting the video, glassary. I feel very sorry for Beatrice. She comes across as sweet and somewhat taken advantage of by Philip Treacy. The guileless way she assures Cynthia McFadden that she trusts him made me very sad. It's obvious she's trying her best, one would think in a Valentino dress and a fascinator by a famous fashionable milliner, one would be ok.

I note that Treacy was careful to be interviewed immediately after the wedding and very ungallantly made it clear that both Princesses of York had not told him what they wanted. Despite the success of his other hats/headpieces at the wedding, I think it reflects very badly on him that he was prepared to let a client look that bad, and then not take full responsibility for it. I feel that he was more concerned with trying to show how 'clever' he was rather than make Beatrice look beautiful and gorgeous, as he claims.

Yes, it's funny, with all the criticism of Beatrice's hat, we forget the role of the designer. Why would a well-known milliner make such an outrageous-looking hat for a royal wedding? He probably knows Beatrice and Eugenie like to experiment with fashion and figured he could have fun experimenting with the hats for them - he knew they wouldn't say "no" no matter what he made.

Beatrice does look cute (I've always loved her hair and porcelain skin) and comes across as very sweet and genuine in that video. She usually does. I love Princess Beatrice's bubbly enthusiasm. Every time I've seen her on video, she comes across as so excited about life. I can't make excuses for her fashion sense at the wedding, but t's a shame that the public doesn't get to hear her speak very often and has to make its judgment on what she wears. I also thought it was interesting that Beatrice said she trusted Philip Treacy "completely." I wonder if she's like Sarah - prone to taking bad advice.

Last edited:
I am glad to hear that it was a stylized bow - my husband says he saw that instantly. To be honest, I did not (someone here said it looked like a door knocker and that stuck in my head).

Beatrice's make-up was part of the problem. Since the hat projected out over her face (bad idea, especially for a young person with a pretty face), her already deep-set, lovely eyes looked more deep-set and the circular way she does her heavy eyeliner didn't help. Her face is much prettier and more proportionate when her forehead is showing, so I agree that Treacy, in his rush to do as many hats and fascinators as possible for this wedding, did not think through the sort of style that would work with this face.

By itself, the hat is fun, rather Alice in Wonderland, and Beatrice pulled it off as well as she could. Had it not been nearly over her face, she would have shined forth much more beautifully. I try to keep remembering how young the two princesses are and how much fun it must be to try fashion just for fun. They certainly brought interest to the wedding - and now, many more people know who they are.

I think in time both of them will develop a more mature and elegant style - and there's plenty of time for that.

Ok I am not sure I am understanding all the poor Bea stuff....this is a women who wore a butterfly hat to her other cousins wedding- I suspect she enjoys wacky hats and being avante garde and crazy hat girl, in fact she known for it. I don't think she felt Tracey took advantage of her or someone gave her bad advice based on her past wacky hat wearing moments....I think it's her character and as long as she's happy with it why not?

On the other hand a poor fitting outfit is just a bad choice....a la Eugenie at the wedding

Sorry to say, but clearly, the girls have inherited their mother's fashion sense, or lack thereof. Treacy or no Treacy, to wear or not to wear is up to the individual, not the designer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom