The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 02:40 PM
Aristocracy

free2rhyme, in fact Nancy Reagan admitted that she did NOT always give the clothes back; that's why she got into trouble. The law in the US is that if you accept free clothes from designers, you must pay taxes on their value. They are treated as income.

I have read that there are rules regarding the acceptance of free clothes by the royals, but I do not know the details. I wouldn't be surprised if there were tax liabilities involved as there are in the US. The royals do have to pay taxes after all.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think Eugenie looked good in her black and white dress and the red dress at Ascot. Hope she never feels the need to lose her curves.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 06-25-2011, 04:44 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi
I think Eugenie looked good in her black and white dress and the red dress at Ascot. Hope she never feels the need to lose her curves.

I agree with your post above. HRH the Princess Eugenie of York does indeed have a very curvy figure, as both her older sister, HRH the Princess Beatrice of York, and their mother, Sarah, Duchess of York, also have.
If she is very smart, she can accentuate her curves in a way that men cannot stop looking at and make some women admire and make some women very jealous. She is lucky curves on a woman are admired today. As I matured it seemed as though women had to almost disappear to, believe it or not, just for men to notice - very thin figures were all the rage. I am glad that part of 'American history of women's figures' is finally dying (a slow death). I hope HRH's curves become her trademark, and hope the media would stop taunting her and her sister for being 'not very attractive' and 'overweight.' Neither of these two young women fit into either category.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:33 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
B&E must spend a fair amount on clothes, they are always dressed in expensive designer wear, and are very rarely seen to recycle their clothing, unlike other more senior memebrs of the BRF.
Seems they spend a lot of money too for somebody who tell them how to dress in very expensive clothes.
Operation Beautify - after THAT hat, Beatrice hires Emma Watson's stylist...who charges 1,500 a day | Mail Online
Old 06-26-2011, 03:09 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
B&E must spend a fair amount on clothes, they are always dressed in expensive designer wear, and are very rarely seen to recycle their clothing, unlike other more senior memebrs of the BRF.
As two of the three ladies who are more senior than them - The Queen, and The Duchess of Cornwall are a fair bit older and thus have a greater store of clothes on which to draw is that really a fair comment?

They are still young girls learning about fashion and what suits them and what doesn't. As most of what they have worn over the last 5 or so years - since their late teen years - have pretty much been universally condemned - they probably wouldn't wear them again. But I wouldn't be surprised if we see more of the single colour outfits they have been wearing more recently and see many of these dresses recycled in the years ahead.

You don't expect to see the same clothes every few weeks on royals and so you have to allow them time to build up a wardrobe. Even comparing them to Kate is unfair as she is 7+ years older than them and has actually been able to build up a suitable wardrobe over those years.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:20 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
As two of the three ladies who are more senior than them - The Queen, and The Duchess of Cornwall are a fair bit older and thus have a greater store of clothes on which to draw is that really a fair comment?
Age or seniority as per rank is not the argument but the fact that they are, unlike B&E, working women of the BRF.

I dont mind somebody building up an expesive wardrobe / hiring an expesive stylist for attending gala/state dinners etc but not for attending Elton John's celebrity party along Liz Hurley or Boris Becker or photoshoots with Sarah to get some cash home.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:35 AM
Heir Apparent

The same thing happened with each of the "commoner" Crown Princesses in Europe. They did not start ourt with a wardrobe for all seasons and all occasions. They had to buy them and got nailed for being spendthrift, fashion racks, shallow fashionistas etc. ad nauseum. Their darling hubby's were all wearing high end tailor-made everythings and handmade shoes but because they had been building their wardrobe all their adult life they didn't get any adverse media hype at all.

The same goes for B & E. They cannot wear the things they wore to discos and University, etc. They have both grown and changed shape and now they are racking up a good "working" wardrobe. To all the grinches . . . . . Back Off!!!!
Old 06-26-2011, 07:16 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Age or seniority as per rank is not the argument but the fact that they are, unlike B&E, working women of the BRF.

I dont mind somebody building up an expesive wardrobe / hiring an expesive stylist for attending gala/state dinners etc but not for attending Elton John's celebrity party along Liz Hurley or Boris Becker or photoshoots with Sarah to get some cash home.

However you miss the point entirely - they are young women starting out in their lives. The Queen and Camilla are elderly ladies, as is Anne,

Kate is also 7/8 years older so has a larger adult wardrobe behind her.

Reports are that Beatrice and Eugenie won't ever be working members of the RF but will be getting their own jobs and earning their own living and thus will be buying dresses that they can afford and going to events they can also afford and not attending state dinners etc so comparing them to older working royal women is totally irrelevant as well - they won't be using their clothes for that purpose.

In time these girls will recycle but I do wish that people would actually remember how young they are and that they do need time to build up an appropriate wardrobe - like all young ladies. Whether the lady is royal or normal they don't wear at 22 what they wore at 18, particularly when they have lost 2 -3 dress sizes in the intevening years.

Elton's party was his annual fundraiser for his AIDs charity by the way - hardly something for Sarah to get cash from but rather one to raise cash for a cause close to Elton's heart. Here are the princesses attending a charity bash and they are bashed again because they aren't recycling their clothes from some other ball they had attended. It was no different to the sort of event that Kate and William went to a week or so back or the event in LA where people are paying thousands of dollars to attend a polo match because William and Kate will be there - it is for charity.

I don't understand why someone would care why someone hired a stylist - if they want to look good for any event why not hire a stylist if they, or in this case their father, wants to pick up the tab. If they want to spend the money on a lovely dress to look good at a charity event what is the problem?
Old 06-26-2011, 11:22 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
However you miss the point entirely - they are young women starting out in their lives. The Queen and Camilla are elderly ladies, as is Anne,

Reports are that Beatrice and Eugenie won't ever be working members of the RF but will be getting their own jobs and earning their own living and thus will be buying dresses that they can afford and going to events they can also afford and not attending state dinners etc so comparing them to older working royal women is totally irrelevant as well - they won't be using their clothes for that purpose.

In time these girls will recycle but I do wish that people would actually remember how young they are and that they do need time to build up an appropriate wardrobe - like all young ladies. Whether the lady is royal or normal they don't wear at 22 what they wore at 18, particularly when they have lost 2 -3 dress sizes in the intevening years.

Elton's party was his annual fundraiser for his AIDs charity by the way - hardly something for Sarah to get cash from but rather one to raise cash for a cause close to Elton's heart. Here are the princesses attending a charity bash and they are bashed again because they aren't recycling their clothes from some other ball they had attended. It was no different to the sort of event that Kate and William went to a week or so back or the event in LA where people are paying thousands of dollars to attend a polo match because William and Kate will be there - it is for charity.

I don't understand why someone would care why someone hired a stylist - if they want to look good for any event why not hire a stylist if they, or in this case their father, wants to pick up the tab. If they want to spend the money on a lovely dress to look good at a charity event what is the problem?
Honestly I think a 22 year old should devote her time to more useful things rather than then "building up a wardrobe" or listening to someone give her fashion advise. I don't think Bea or Eugenie will ever get real respect from the public until they prove that they are not simply "living off their titles" and showing up with Sarah at these events doesn't help the point.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:44 AM
Courtier

The really important issue is that they LEARN from the stylist and not just put on the clothes that are pointed out to them. They can then apply what they have learned across the board without having to put out that amount of money on a frequent basis. It will be interesting to see how this works out. Having a stylist for a really, really big occasion is one thing, but making it a way of life is quite another, because they are non working royals. I hope this falls into the education category. :)
Old 06-27-2011, 07:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

I agree B&E are women starting out in their lives, but unlike other girls of their age, these two have been attending formal events for years, and ought to have reasonably deep wardrobes. I would not expect them to wear clothes that are 4-5 years old, but certainly things for the last 2-3 years could (and IMO, should) be recycled. Catherine is only just setting out on her royal career, but has already demonstrated how she can recycle older clothes. Perhaps the girls need to think a little carefully on how they spend their inheritance.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

Maybe the dresses are borrowed? We don't really know if they actually bought or the dresses are just loaned for PR purposes.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:03 PM
Royal Highness

Eugenie's dress is the same one she wore to the after wedding party after Will and Kate's wedding so they do recycle and in all liklihood it's not borrowed....

It's a bit unfair they get knocked if they wear expensive designer dresses, no one seemed to wonder how the Duchess of Cambridge paid for her ARF gown....I think it's nice they are branching out into nicer clothing
Old 06-27-2011, 10:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Wearing good clothes that look good on them helps with their over-all image, though. Clothes do "make the man"; or, in this case, "the princess." If they look good and feel good about how they look, they will be more successful in whatever they choose to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by free2rhyme View Post
Honestly I think a 22 year old should devote her time to more useful things rather than then "building up a wardrobe" or listening to someone give her fashion advise.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
Eugenie's dress is the same one she wore to the after wedding party after Will and Kate's wedding so they do recycle and in all liklihood it's not borrowed....

It's a bit unfair they get knocked if they wear expensive designer dresses, no one seemed to wonder how the Duchess of Cambridge paid for her ARF gown....I think it's nice they are branching out into nicer clothing
Catherine is the Duchess of Cambridge, and the future Queen. Her position is very different from B&E. Also, Catherine does recycle a lot of her clothes.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:20 AM
Heir Apparent

I think the "recycling" or "upcycling" of clothes is a current trend - a positive one! - and I hope it catches on, especially with royals.

In these days of austerity budgets and the like, Kate and others can be leaders in that field for minimal outlay.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Time to close this thread - thanks for all your contributions!
The new thread can be found here!