The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 07:21 AM
Majesty

The evening dress from the night before the wedding was hideous - simply shows her lack of class and style.

The dress on the night of the wedding either is great or another hideous creation - depends on whether there was something wrong with the back side photo of she really was wearing a dress without a lower back.

Her taste is atrocious and getting worse rather than better.

The best dress she wore was to the wedding but it was ruined by that thing on her head. I really can't believe that any milliner actually would put his/her name out as having created that monstrosity. I also can't believe that the members of her family actually let her become the laughing stock of the world - what a sad family they must be to have allowed her to walk out the front door wearing that thing.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:37 AM
Courtier

Where the dress is tucked in is where the back of the dress ended .

Old 05-03-2011, 08:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

The best dress she wore was to the wedding but it was ruined by that thing on her head. I really can't believe that any milliner actually would put his/her name out as having created that monstrosity. I also can't believe that the members of her family actually let her become the laughing stock of the world - what a sad family they must be to have allowed her to walk out the front door wearing that thing.

Oh, I don't know...remember Bjork at the Oscars in her swan dress?
Now, remember any other dresses from the same year?

See what I mean? People still remember it!

If what Beatrice wanted was to be noticed, well, she got it!
Everyone else faded into obscurity while Beatrice was the center of attention, and maybe that was her goal all along?
Old 05-03-2011, 09:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

...remembered for bad things, I don't think that is a good thing...
Old 05-03-2011, 09:57 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

I agree about that hat - the milliner [Stephen Treacy] has explained that it is a 'sculptured bow'. It just shows how little I know about the way of fashion - to me, it was just a collection of open spaces......although I can see a bow-shape now.

In the past [and I am talking about several years ago] Princess Anne used to be the most criticised Royal when it came to fashion: one particular outfit stands out in my mind - a too long brown tweed suit that made her look about 100 years old. It was shapeless, baggy and as I said, an unflattering length....

At that time, the Queen often rated a close second ['How can the Queen spend so much on handmade clothes only for them to look like she has bought them at a charity shop?' was the common cry from the Tabloids.] I can remember that one of Her Majesty's creations was covered in the most extraordinary little fabric bows everywhere. There was also an evening dress covered with California Poppies, as a tribute to hosts on a State Visit to the USA. But although no doubt a kindly-met compliment, it just looked.......strange.

And then I began to think things through and in my humble opinion, this is why I think the Royals tend to sport fashion disasters - it is firstly because most Royals are not particularly interested in fashion [which is actually no crime!] and secondly it is because, in my opinion, no one [due no doubt to a misguided sense of deference], has ever plucked up courage to tell them when they look ridiculous. I mean, if I had been invited to the Royal Wedding and set off wearing Beatrice's 'creation', my friends would have screamed with laughter and said ' Oh, No! Don't!!! You cannot leave the house looking like that!! You look terrible and will be a laughing stock!' It is my humble opinion that most of the BRF do not have friends either willing or able to give them objective advice.

The role of the designers who sell the royals these clothes and hats is very questionable. Do they feel unable tactfully to persuade their royal clients into something more suitable, or are they, as Designers, unable to produce consistently flattering work? Some of the styles you see on the catwalk are marvellous, others defy description.

ON the whole, the most stylish members of the BRF are those who have married into it. Poor Sarah has appeared in some expensively hideous mistakes, but then again, this is because in my very humble view, she has no interest in fashion.

However, at the end of the day, it is not a crime to be less than stylishly dressed. The only downside of inappropriate wear is when it diverts attention from the event to the wearer.

Only my views,

Alex
Old 05-03-2011, 10:17 AM
Courtier

The dress Eugenie wore for the evening wedding reception was ok on here But im sorry to say this, but I dont think either Beatrice or Eugenie have any sense of style...its just to much of everything...
Old 05-03-2011, 11:41 AM
Courtier

I liked they outfits both wore to the evening events. Beatrice's hat ruined her outfit. Eugenie's whole look was just a miss it was too much.
I think they need to keep it simple they can look really good. The Designers are not gonna tell them they look horrible and lose a sale the dress Beatrice wore for the evening wedding reception was over $5,000.00.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

A good place to start for both York girls (and Chelsy) would be to go up at least one size. Nothing is more unattractive than tight clothing.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Princess Beatrice's royal wedding hat mocked online - The Star
Old 05-04-2011, 12:17 AM
Heir Apparent

I hate to be rude, but that is hardly surprising! Not something I would do, but I am not surprised that others are...
Old 05-04-2011, 12:54 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassary View Post
Also here is a fun video from ABC News in the US. It aired in the US on the wedding recap show. The first 2 minutes mention hats at the wedding and how Cynthia McFadden (host) met Bea at the Philip Traceys.
Millinery Madness Video - ABC News
Thanks for posting the video, glassary. I feel very sorry for Beatrice. She comes across as sweet and somewhat taken advantage of by Philip Treacy. The guileless way she assures Cynthia McFadden that she trusts him made me very sad. It's obvious she's trying her best, one would think in a Valentino dress and a fascinator by a famous fashionable milliner, one would be ok.

I note that Treacy was careful to be interviewed immediately after the wedding and very ungallantly made it clear that both Princesses of York had not told him what they wanted. Despite the success of his other hats/headpieces at the wedding, I think it reflects very badly on him that he was prepared to let a client look that bad, and then not take full responsibility for it. I feel that he was more concerned with trying to show how 'clever' he was rather than make Beatrice look beautiful and gorgeous, as he claims.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:34 AM
Courtier

Thanks for posting that video, it's the very first time I've ever heard Beatrice's voice, totally lovely, charming, soft, and a bit shy. And not a speck of make-up to be had, a truly natural beauty imho.

With that drop dead gorgeous thick natural red hair, big blue doe eyes, exquisite skin, and lovely patrician features inherited from her father Prince Andrew, she makes a striking figure indeed and always has. Which is why I don't understand why a stylist or she herself has never outfitted her properly!

Seriously, with hair like that that most women would kill for, half of it alone could adorn 10 heads, not to mention the glorious natural color, it should n-e-v-e-r be covered up, ever. It's her crowning glory, just as the Bible states:

"does not even nature itself teach you that if a man has long hair, it is dishonor to him, but if a woman has long hair, it is glory to her."

Huge understatement wherein Princess Beatrice is concerned, she has the hair of a goddess! Therefore, no more silly fascinators nor hats or anything of that nature. The most she should wear, if anything, on her head is a couple of dazzling small jeweled barrettes, like Alanis Morissette did when she performed her song "Uninvited":

That's it. Though I would prefer her to show off her hair like the Pre-Raphaelite Beauties did over a hundred years ago:

Most especially Beatrice reminds me of a mermaid, complete with thick fiery red hair, lovely white skin without a blemish, and those striking big blue eyes (which don't need any adornment either, they're striking just as they are, black eyeliner is not necessary whatsoever). And like a mermaid, I would like to see her outfitted in the turquose colors of the sea:

SHOW OFF THAT ONCE-IN-A-LIFETIME THICK BEAUTIFUL GORGEOUS NATURAL RED HAIR, BEATRICE, IT'S HONESTLY YOUR "CROWNING GLORY", JUST AS THE BIBLE STATES!!!!
Old 05-04-2011, 03:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Beatrice really is strikingly pretty. As far as her hats and fascinators go, the simpler the better. I agree that her hair is one of her very best features, and she has a lovely slim figure now, nice skin, and arresting eyes.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:55 AM
Courtier

Being a princess she will be wearing hats that is a given. She just needs to find a better designer to work with . He could have done something elegant and fun for her. He knew this was a royal wedding not Ascot where that hat would have looked fine.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

Teletubby? Weapon? Beatrice
Old 05-04-2011, 08:49 AM
Commoner

People aren't remembering the great British tradition of eccentricity. This post from an interior design blog has a nice reminder of it.

Sure one doesn't usually see it in the dress sported by the royals, but I like that the Princesses are having fun with fashion. How boring a world it would be if everyone dressed safe and traditional.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:46 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Princess View Post
Thanks for posting the video, glassary. I feel very sorry for Beatrice. She comes across as sweet and somewhat taken advantage of by Philip Treacy. The guileless way she assures Cynthia McFadden that she trusts him made me very sad. It's obvious she's trying her best, one would think in a Valentino dress and a fascinator by a famous fashionable milliner, one would be ok.

I note that Treacy was careful to be interviewed immediately after the wedding and very ungallantly made it clear that both Princesses of York had not told him what they wanted. Despite the success of his other hats/headpieces at the wedding, I think it reflects very badly on him that he was prepared to let a client look that bad, and then not take full responsibility for it. I feel that he was more concerned with trying to show how 'clever' he was rather than make Beatrice look beautiful and gorgeous, as he claims.
Yes, it's funny, with all the criticism of Beatrice's hat, we forget the role of the designer. Why would a well-known milliner make such an outrageous-looking hat for a royal wedding? He probably knows Beatrice and Eugenie like to experiment with fashion and figured he could have fun experimenting with the hats for them - he knew they wouldn't say "no" no matter what he made.

Beatrice does look cute (I've always loved her hair and porcelain skin) and comes across as very sweet and genuine in that video. She usually does. I love Princess Beatrice's bubbly enthusiasm. Every time I've seen her on video, she comes across as so excited about life. I can't make excuses for her fashion sense at the wedding, but t's a shame that the public doesn't get to hear her speak very often and has to make its judgment on what she wears. I also thought it was interesting that Beatrice said she trusted Philip Treacy "completely." I wonder if she's like Sarah - prone to taking bad advice.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:00 AM
Serene Highness

I am glad to hear that it was a stylized bow - my husband says he saw that instantly. To be honest, I did not (someone here said it looked like a door knocker and that stuck in my head).

Beatrice's make-up was part of the problem. Since the hat projected out over her face (bad idea, especially for a young person with a pretty face), her already deep-set, lovely eyes looked more deep-set and the circular way she does her heavy eyeliner didn't help. Her face is much prettier and more proportionate when her forehead is showing, so I agree that Treacy, in his rush to do as many hats and fascinators as possible for this wedding, did not think through the sort of style that would work with this face.

By itself, the hat is fun, rather Alice in Wonderland, and Beatrice pulled it off as well as she could. Had it not been nearly over her face, she would have shined forth much more beautifully. I try to keep remembering how young the two princesses are and how much fun it must be to try fashion just for fun. They certainly brought interest to the wedding - and now, many more people know who they are.

I think in time both of them will develop a more mature and elegant style - and there's plenty of time for that.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:13 AM
Royal Highness

Ok I am not sure I am understanding all the poor Bea stuff....this is a women who wore a butterfly hat to her other cousins wedding- I suspect she enjoys wacky hats and being avante garde and crazy hat girl, in fact she known for it. I don't think she felt Tracey took advantage of her or someone gave her bad advice based on her past wacky hat wearing moments....I think it's her character and as long as she's happy with it why not?

On the other hand a poor fitting outfit is just a bad choice....a la Eugenie at the wedding
Old 05-04-2011, 12:21 PM
Nobility

Sorry to say, but clearly, the girls have inherited their mother's fashion sense, or lack thereof. Treacy or no Treacy, to wear or not to wear is up to the individual, not the designer.