Princess Sofia's Fashion & Style, Part 3: March 2017 - November 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oh dear, that dress makes sofia look so wide, and why the hat when nobody else is wearing one.
Completely agree with you about the dress making her look wider than she might actually be, and the hat is terrible. One thing I can say, is that I do like the texture/design of the fabric. On another cut of dress it would be lovely.

Completely agree with you about the dress making her look wider than she might actually be, and the hat is terrible. One thing I can say, is that I do like the texture/design of the fabric. On another cut of dress it would be lovely.

I'm wondering why that would be a bad thing? :huh: Some of you have echoed this idea. (BTW I actually think the dress looks great). Is it so bad a thing to appear to be 'larger' than one is?

I have occasion to work with some young girls regarding body image and this being slaved to the camera lens image (as self image) is a key element we discuss.

Mercy that is not at all flattering for her.

LaRae

The evening dress is a much better choice, the fitting is perfect and combined with her lovely updo and the tiara with pearl tops I think she looks great, very pretty!

What's going on with that neck bow? Is this dress another product of H&M?

the dress is rather dreadful. on the positive side, it looks like she has been awarded an order by iceland.

I like the idea of the dress .. I like the color. I just think it overwhelms her.

LaRae

So beautiful, I just miss the emeralds of her tiara !

the dress is rather dreadful. on the positive side, it looks like she has been awarded an order by iceland.

According to the Wikipedia, CP and Daniel didn't have Icelandic orders before, so I assume their orders were also awarded on this state visit. Is it the Order of the Falcon ?

I've had it in general with black in January, but this is charming an an old worldish way. I think it's styled really well. And she certainly looks good with the guys.

This gown is just so heavy. The top part looks like lace came to life, and the bottom part... I honestly cannot tell they are flowers. There is no need to do a 3D effect on every element...

Maybe with some light colour accents this gown would not look so much like a mess of black.

According to the Wikipedia, CP and Daniel didn't have Icelandic orders before, so I assume their orders were also awarded on this state visit. Is it the Order of the Falcon ?

Victoria received hers back in 2004. CP was not involved in the state visit and Daniel of course wasn't married yet, so neither would have received it. As all three are involved in the state visit this time and so have received the order. And yes, it would be the order of the falcon.

I'm wondering why that would be a bad thing? Some of you have echoed this idea. (BTW I actually think the dress looks great). Is it so bad a thing to appear to be 'larger' than one is?

While we should encourage positive body image, is this the same thing :ermm:

Honestly never heard of anyone wanting to look wider then they are. Its not flattering. Its a bad thing, because it often means the clothes are ill fitted or not flattering. Even a woman who is not stick thin, should know how to dress their body.

The color and style is lovely. The stripes are even pretty. But the volume of the skirt is not flattering. If it was an A-line skirt, it would look great.

Her hair looked lovely, but the hat was bad. :sad:

The evening look was too busy. I didn't like the 3d effect of the flowers. Or the tie around the neck. Simpler looks suit her better.

Love she wore the tiara with the pearls. Much better then the emeralds.

I quite like her dress in welcome ceremony minus these loose sleeves, but not sure about her hat.

The gala gown, yes it's dreadful, looks like a mourning dress to me. Color is not a problem (there are many wonderful gown in black!) but the whole design is depressing. Black is fine, lace is fine, 3D flower is fine, bow is fine, but when all these are combined into one gown it is not okay. (I even don't realize there are 3D flowers, it looks like a mess to me.) For her tiara, at first I think emerald would be better than pearl, at least there could be some colors, then I realize it may be a risky choice as the sash is in blue. (......but black + pearl is really like something you wear for funeral:bang:)

I've had it in general with black in January, but this is charming an an old worldish way. I think it's styled really well. And she certainly looks good with the guys.

I was thinking that, too. ;) ?

The day dress, I'm surprised that Lars Wallin has managed to made such an unflattering dress. Sofia has had it before. The stripes are a nice idea but otherwise the dress doesn't look good at all on Sofia. And why she had a hat?

The evening dress, it is so similar than this Ida Sjöstedt dress Sofia wore at the state visit of the Governor General of Canada last February. The dress is ageing and the pearls and black dress bring funerals to my mind.
https://www.elle.se/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Princess-Sofia-1-800x1201.jpg
https://x.cdn-expressen.se/images/e9/c6/e9c6ef51370c4c69b94f5a15ea3d33d5/16x9/1360.jpg

Last edited:
I agree about the mourning vibe, first thing old women from the 19th century came on my mind on some depressing photographs.
Too many styles in one dress, middle parting, not liking any of it. I am glad the tiara came without the emeralds.

I wasn't fan of Sofia's daytime look. I think it would have been better if the skirt had fallen in soft folds [now her skirt looked stiff and bounchy around her knees] and soft updo would have looked better with this kind of outfit.
I liked Sofia's black evening gown. It showed her figure at the best and those flowers created interesting texture. But when you wear black, then it can look a little too funeral, so you should choose warmer makeup or you end up looking like a ghost floating through the the castle.

Last edited:
Princess Sofia got 2/5 for her daytime look and 5/5 for her evening look from Expressen's Emma Malmlöf (https://www.expressen.se/nyheter/kungligt/getingbetyg-sa-kladde-sig-kungligheterna/). I love her overall look, she looks radiant, but 5/5 is maybe a bit generou. She would look even better if the top part was more simple (and got rid of the bow around her neck, the Swedish royal women seem to love those for some reason).

I'd like to get hold of all the bows they wear and toss them!

LaRae

I like the black gown. It looks really heavy though.
Don't care for her day dress.

LOVE her coat...I would wear that!!!

LaRae

The black gown at the gala dinner was a bit on the severe side and reminded me of a Victorian Widows gown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom