The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
This is some regrettably vulgar look.
An evening appointment doesn't require gothic eye make up, dark purple (or black?) nail polish, too much cleavage, unflattering shiny pants and a fussy, glittering bolero that wouldn't have looked out of place on a 1980s pop starlet.
I don't like the fringe either - it puts too much emphasis on Marie's chin, which is not exactly petite.
IMHO it's a very bad outfit for anyone, and especially for a Royal.
I couldn't agree more! The neckline is much too revealing, almost as usual, tacky nailpolish, shiny disco pants and a bolero straight from 80's Dynasty That's one unsuitable outfit for a royal.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Serene Highness

Ok,let me just say that she could have done better.I'll be waiting for her next appearance.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:39 AM
Royal Highness

I must say that I really like this look. Pants are too shiny but rest of the outfit is very nice. Hairstyle is fantastic and heavy make-up looks good on Princess. Marie's individual style is very ok IMO.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgl View Post
Princess Marie debuted a new look at the By Malene Birger fashion show in Copenhagen:

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/w...e_nyt_look.jpg
http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/w...e_nyt_look.jpg a good close up of her hairstyle
http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/w...e_nyt_look.jpg a good close up of her bag

And you can vote whether this look is "hot or not":
Hot or not? Prinsesse Maries nye frisure - MSN Starlounge

I like her hair and the top, but I'm not wild about the pants. I don't think they are very flattering.
Well it's certainly a dramatic new look, to say the least. I love the hair, the make-ups a little too much. The trousers are nice, but the top is a little too revealing for Marie.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Royal Highness

It must have been a very casual event for Marie to dress like that - all in black. There is nothing special about the outfit that would indicate she is a princess - she simply looks like a run of the mill girl out at the pub. Usually I think she looks very princess like, but not on this occassion!
Old 08-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well I agree that the pants were OTT, but the blouse/lacey jacket was nice.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

I like the look that Marie went for. It's different and fresh.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Heir Apparent

She's not dressed that outlandishly compared to some of the other guests at this event:
Billed-Bladet - Masser af kendte til By Malene Birger-show - se billederne

I really didn't like her pants, but compared to the others, this look is very tame.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:38 PM
Heir Apparent

The problem here, as I see it, is the "other's" are Not royal princesses. Marie is... and should dress accordingly. Perhaps more importantly, she is Expected to do so and in this case, missed.....
Old 08-09-2009, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by udyusa View Post
The problem here, as I see it, is the "other's" are Not royal princesses. Marie is... and should dress accordingly. Perhaps more importantly, she is Expected to do so and in this case, missed.....
Marie is indeed a princess now but she is not expected to dress as if she was a crown princess (and im not comparing to Mary but in general) so she doesnt have to look always so stylish and so well put together, personally I do expect her to dress abit more normal than always very dressed up in suits or formal wear. She doesnt seem to know what suits her or what is appropriate to wear when going out in public (private wear/unformal outfits seem to be right/neat put together) looks like Marie doesnt have a stylist not someone who quite knows what she should wear so I dont blame her for her mistakes.

Another note, Marie might find what she is wearing great and others wont like it, its only a matter of taste. Marie and other princesses wont always please us
Old 08-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Courtier

Granted, others were more outlandish than Marie at this event. However, she looked very unlike royalty in this outfit. I believe just entirely too much shine - jacket, pants, shoes, black nail polish. AWFUL, just awful, look.

The contrast between her very delicate beige lacy dress with soft curls framing her face look at the christening just a few days ago to this straight-angled black shiny look complete with black nail polish is too much of a swing. Either she has no idea of when to say no to a stylist who suggests such a look, or she herself can't judge what is appropriate for royalty.

Hopefully she'll get better. We keep saying this, don't we? She is not a pop star, movie star, or anything along these lines. This look is less than desirable, shows very cheap looking taste. She is a princess of the realm, an adult and a mother.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Administrator

I personally enjoyed her outfit. However, I do understand where everyone is coming from in the "unprincess like" aspect of the outfit. I personally think that based upon what everyone was wearing...this was not your usual fashion show. Not classic, conservative or haute couture but more of edgy, youthful and trendy. Therefore her clothes reflected the show. For example (using American designers)....those who dress to go to a Betsy Johnson fashion show are not going to wear the same thing goign to a Caroline Herrara show.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:49 PM
Courtier

Perhaps, but she is part of the ruling family of the country, and, as such, needs to avoid looking vulgar.

Others may have looked that way, but she has a special place in that country. She should not forget that. Her signature low cleavage is also getting old.

I agree with all the posts that this was not appropriate attire for royalty.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Well said, rylt11, and I could not have said it better. I tried, but I wasn't able to say it as well as you.
Marie's mistakes are getting to be too numerous, as well as old, IMHO. She has so much potential and the ability to look elegant and royal. She needs only to ask....
Old 08-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Administrator

She has only been a member of the royal family for what like two years? I am sure Joachim had an opportunity to see her before she left the house, as he had been a royal his entire life, most likely he had an opportunity to say...You know...you shouldn't wear that.

Everyone has a bad clothes day, hopefully if this is the case (and I don't think it is) we will all move on from this occurence. Even accalimed fashionista's have had a bad day.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:22 PM
Courtier

Joachim wears interesting color palettes sometimes, but a man is limited to jackets, trousers, ties.

Women have many more choices - dresses, coat dresses, tops, jeans, pants, wide legged pants, long dresses, tea length, knee length, and a wide variety of necklines, sleeves, and, above all, fabrics.

If the stylist suggested this look for her, I doubt if Joachim would object. She should be more in tune with what is right and what is off the mark. This reminds me of the blue dress she wore when pregnant, which revealed every detail of her figure... that was also off the mark. She needs to be aware of what is proper or not.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Joachim is aware of what looks good on him. He has his tailors and his valets, i imagine, that have been with him since his birth, (almost), advising him.

On the other hand, Marie is quite new to this way of life. However, I feel that she should be aware by this time to know how a princess should dress. She does not have to be a CP to be able to know the difference between proper and what is just...wrong.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:23 AM
Courtier

She looks great if she was not a Princess. That is her one big problem she forgets who she is now. She leaves no doubt she likes skin tight and very low cut.

Maybe someone will tell her she must tone it down.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:28 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

New thread can be found here

Closed Thread

Tags
fashion, princess marie, style