Princess Marie's Fashion and Style Part 1: June 2007 - September 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She is a young woman thrown into the official life of the royals. She'll find her style. The dress for the wedding was perfectly ok.

The dress Marie wore to the wedding looks cheap I'm sorry to say.

She is a young woman thrown into the official life of the royals. She'll find her style. The dress for the wedding was perfectly ok.

So was every woman about to marry a royal. So what makes Marie any different? The answer: Absolutely nothing.

The short cocktail/nighclub slip dress she wore to a daytime wedding isn't exactly my style. However, if she felt comfortable, well, that's all that matters. However, the slip thingy was a no-no fashion forward and etiquette wise. Sorry.:)

She’s just beautifully elegant. She has the good taste to be simple and classy, she does not look like a "Christmas tree" ;).

perhaps she chose to wear only her engagement ring on her right hand

So was every woman about to marry a royal. So what makes Marie any different? The answer: Absolutely nothing.

The short cocktail/nighclub slip dress she wore to a daytime wedding isn't exactly my style. However, if she felt comfortable, well, that's all that matters. However, the slip thingy was a no-no fashion forward and etiquette wise. Sorry.:)

I absolutely agree. She really has to step up te plate big time in more than one way. She still doesn't seem to speak any proper Danish (and it's been 3/4 of a year since she became engaged...), she has had plenty of time to sort out her wardrobe (and certainly has the money for it). It's all "Laissez faire, laissez passer" with her, come on Marie, get your act together. As second wife of the second son it can't be that difficult. She went to some posh boardingschool, so she should know all about manners and etiquette, they wouldn't have to teach her that. She should dump all the tacky clothes and get to work!!!!!!!

I'm sure as time passes she'll find her niche as a royal including her "royal" clothing for official duties. Marie may not have a stylist at the moment so perhaps that is why her ensembles are all over the place and ill fitting.

As for her etiquette: I don't care. As long as she doesn't chew gum, looked bored, and attends all of her confirmed engagements despite having a little cough she'll be fine.

Now, all she has to do is hire a great stylist for her hair and clothing or at least have a consult;).

Am so pleased you said that about her hair too long too straight not flattering on the face. I can't believe though they have allowed her out without a stylist but it's clear they have.I do not like the spotty dress I just said so in another thread it's a bit cheap looking and I hate spots I think she has had enough time to get one thing right but she seems to have done little. I could be wrong it is how it APPEARS to me though.

Maybe she really is as naive as she appears in the interviews?? I am very curious how she 'developes' over time. So far, well, I'm not impressed.

I don't think Marie is naive. I think she is going to be more low key and not a royal involved as Alex was. I think this is why Joachim picked her. Why she will not become this fashion plate with 200 patronages. I think she will more be the role of Joachim's wife and royal #2. It is my impression of things the couple has said.

Loved her blue dress. I think the other ones are fine. Including the one worn to the wedding.

Erm:ermm:, well, poor Marie continues to wear something completely out of place to an event. After another no-show to the 350 Royal Guardsman Rosenborg Tattoo Parade with Joachim, Marie was well enough to attend a concert at Tivoli with the rest of the royal family. The dress is nice (love the color on her), but in a different setting. Most of the women who attended wore appropriate early summer attire with jackets and shawls already covering them up.

[URL="http://images.bt.dk/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=BT&Dato=20080629&Kategori=ROYALT&Lopenr=629002&Ref=PH&Item=5&Maxw=300&Maxh=445"]Marie looks very, er,[/URL] va-va-vooom in a skin tight deep purple cocktail dress with sheer black pantyhose and black sky high heels. Very French. Very unDanish-like. (Ugh:rolleyes:... sheer black pantyhose! Yes, I hate them... get over it.)

[URL="http://www.bt.dk/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=BT&Dato=20080629&Kategori=ROYALT&Lopenr=629002&Ref=PH&Profile=9000&Params=Itemnr=6"]Link to see other images[/URL]

Last edited:
Lovely dress, suits Marie well & the color is stunning but not to this event, its to dressy IMO and she looks like she is trying very hard.

Wow, amazing dress!
Marie looks very confident, and both look happy. :)

Love the purple dress very nice indeed but detest the black stockings. It makes the look very 80's. All she needs is big hair to go with it!

I love the colour on Marie also, she looks great in strong colours. Denmark may be cooler than France - hence the stockings? Just a thought,also - 80's fashion is kind of around at the moment.

The 80's redux was a couple of seasons ago... I guess Marie didn't get the memo. The purple dress is lovely on her (minus the gross sheer black pantyhose), but it's completely wrong for this specific occassion. Sorry. And I agree with MissJane, she desperately needs to do something with her hair. If she did, it would have changed the who "look" for the better. :)

Joining other members, I have to say that Princess Marie looked fine in the purple dress. However, the black tights spoilt the whole outfit for me.

Princess Marie's dress seems to be the purple version of the gray dress that Princess Mary wore for Prince Frederik's 40th birthday balcony scene. Both dresses have the same neckline, belt around the waist in a similar color in the same width and buckle, same number of tiers on the skirt (6). I'm sure both the purple and gray dresses are made by the same designer. Love both versions of the dresses.

-Ayvee

The cut of both dresses has been rehashed over and over again since the mid-50's. So it's not surprising that every designer and their mother has a dress in their collections at one point and time in a designers career. Though I will say a heavier fabric, ala Queen Rania's and Crown Princess Mary's dress, looks better than the light fabric (which, judging from the one image seems to be silk chiffon) used on Marie's.

[URL="http://members3.boardhost.com/scandinavia/msg/1214798409.html"]More shots of the silk dress with four tiered ruffles below the waist[/URL] (scroll down); [URL="http://images.bt.dk/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Avis=BT&Dato=20080629&Kategori=ROYALT&Lopenr=80629047&Ref=AR&MaxW=600&Border=0"]the top [/URL]part of the dress, hence her bust, is way too tight resembling Zara's white blouse from Ascot this year. The bottom also seems a tad snug.

Last edited:
Princess Marie's Overall Outfit

I like P.Marie's dress, I don't think its too much for the occasion but she really let down a great dress with her horrid shoes. They look like the same pair she wore to the french embassy gala as well as to germany with P.Joachim. They are a decent pair of work shoes but for a nice evening concert they are a no-no. Marie seems to be very understated in her clothing choices which suits her fine but she needs emercency help with her accessories post haste!

Mary is lovely with thar recycle dress, I do love it!! Marie is also good, purple is a fashion colour but she ruins all with those black sockings!

Yes, it really looks the same dress but in different colours!
I hope they won't dress the same outfits in future. If it is boring to see Mathilde and Maxima wearing the same dresses, it would be even more boring if that happened to Mary and Marie both princesses of the same Country.

Mary is lovely with thar recycle dress, I do love it!! Marie is also good, purple is a fashion colour but she ruins all with those black sockings!

Totally agree! Looks like a dress to be worn to a cocktail party and then to wear that dress with black stockings and black shoes in the summer --- too heavy looking from the waist down with all of that black --- Total mismatch!

Erm:ermm:, well, poor Marie continues to wear something completely out of place to an event. After another no-show to the 350 Royal Guardsman Rosenborg Tattoo Parade with Joachim, Marie was well enough to attend a concert at Tivoli with the rest of the royal family. The dress is nice (love the color on her), but in a different setting. Most of the women who attended wore appropriate early summer attire with jackets and shawls already covering them up.

[URL="http://images.bt.dk/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=BT&Dato=20080629&Kategori=ROYALT&Lopenr=629002&Ref=PH&Item=5&Maxw=300&Maxh=445"]Marie looks very, er,[/URL] va-va-vooom in a skin tight deep purple cocktail dress with sheer black pantyhose and black sky high heels. Very French. Very unDanish-like. (Ugh:rolleyes:... sheer black pantyhose! Yes, I hate them... get over it.)

[URL="http://www.bt.dk/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=BT&Dato=20080629&Kategori=ROYALT&Lopenr=629002&Ref=PH&Profile=9000&Params=Itemnr=6"]Link to see other images[/URL]
:whistling: Well, I like the dark pantyhose - we're not approaching the horror that is Mette-Marit and thick black pantyhose with summery-dresses and suits, so Marie's look okay to me, especially with the dark colour of the dress :ROFLMAO: Don't kill me...

Seriously, to me it looks like an appropriate outfit for a gala concert in the evening - a summery type of dress, appropriate length, no decolletage, in a regal colour, mixed with the slightly more formal tights and shoes. It's similar to Countess Sussi's dress in length, and she isn't wearing her jacket either.

However, looking at the royal ladies, I have a difficult time ascertaining what exactly the dress-code was for those not in uniform. :ermm:

You have Margrethe in a red creation that looks a tad over the top, but because it is Margrethe it goes :rolleyes: Benedikte looks more moderate, the jacket and suit could have been a daytime event and not a concert at 19:30. Mary's dress is a cross between Margrethe and Marie in length, but with a decolletage both in front and back (according to reports).

Personally, I might have liked to see a bit more coordination between them when they know they'll be appearing in public together.

It looked like the Queen was the only one wearing a full length gown. As stated Mary's outfit was inbetween and low in front & back. The rest of the ladies wore their dresses/suits knee length.
So far I liked Marie's outfit, although usually I'm not in favor of black stockings,but this seemed to go with her smart dress, and thank heavens she didn't wear too much jewelry with the dress.

Mary looks classy --- Marie looks tacky ---
It boils down to the grooming, the accessories, the attitude --- everyone is talking about the "French Sense" of good dressing --- Marie is just not hitting the mark ---
There is a photo at the event of Marie walking arm-in-arm with PJ and the look she is giving him --- very smug --- the two just look so mismatched at this point - I guess that I just don't get it -

The purple dress is too sexy for the occasion, I don´t like it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom