Princess Marie's Fashion and Style Part 1: June 2007 - September 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, Marie's dress looks cheap. Also the material looks cheap!
I like Mary's dress better.

totally agree with you, marie's dress doesnt do her any favor on the other hand mary looks wonderful as always!!!:flowers:

"What on Earth is she wearing? Did her stylist die prior to her steaming the wrinkles out of her suit? Who ever designed the suit should have used a better fabric. I can see his/her vision, but the execution of the ensemble... tragic. Now, that isn't Marie's fault by the way. As for the hat... oh dear"
you crack me up glittering tiaras, thanks for my laugh outloud of the day:flowers:

OMG that's what it is, i knew the grey outfit reminded me of something, the TIN MAN, thank you duke of marmalade for putting your finger on it!

i'm sorry (and i certainly don't mean to pick on Marie, just the outfit), she looked beautiful and radiant and very happy but the day outfit was awful. i didn't like the dinky hat, the cut of the suit, those sleeves:eek: (she must be using fred's old tailor, remember how his sleeves used to always be too long), the bulky shoulder pads, the wrinkles everywhere.....hopefully it won't show up again in the recycle thread;)

that said- IMO Marie was flawless at the gala.

oh my i am sorry what is she wearing, the outfit and the hat does not look good, i love what mary is wearing the best she pull it off but is marie getting any help with her fashion? i don't know why they make marie wear that horriable jacket :eek::wacko:
Goodness!!!!!!!! The sleeves are too long the jacket ill fitting........How did she leave home like that? Hopefully she will look at those photos long enough to learn how to move around in the clothes and see how they fit.
Whoever sewed this thing should be fired......

Goodness!!!!!!!! The sleeves are too long the jacket ill fitting........How did she leave home like that? Hopefully she will look at those photos long enough to learn how to move around in the clothes and see how they fit.
Whoever sewed this thing should be fired......
i agree with you, my goodnes, who is dressing her??? this sleeves!!! does he hassoembody helping her? she should to ask for an S.O.S.

It's the little things that add up and make Marie such a fashion disaster ---
the grooming, the right accessories, the correct undergarments.
The gray (?) suit --- the skirt should have been lined or at least Marie should have worn a slip underneath so that the skirt didn't cling so much - a size larger in the skirt would have helped also - it just looked too tight and clingy.
The jacket was a mess and all buttoned up like that, looked uncomfortable and bulky. It looked like a straitjacket and hot. And the hat --- I guess that Marie thinks that just any hat will do.
Marie does not understand day time dressing. She only worked in lower level office jobs where she was not expected to dress in an appropriate business like manner. She is starting from scratch.
As for the gala gown --- it is very cheap looking --- in fact, all of Marie's clothing looks cheap and tacky --- as if she is shopping at very low-end stores.
All in all, these events which Marie has been attending have been planned for months and she has known for months that she was going to attend them (if she wasn't going to go AWOL at the last minute). She should have preplanned all of the outfits carefully - down to the tiniest detail. After all, it's not as if her Danish lessons were occupying all of her time.

As for the very first so official event fot Marie her outfit wasn't the best choice. It's pretty outfit but for the older lady. Sleeves too long, material hmm... nice but too heavy as for her, I think. Shoes could be little higher.
We should take her some time to find her new royal style.

Mary comparing with Marie much elegant. And she has so nice hat.

It looks that they have quite good relationships on these photos.

What I can say about her light blue outfit... maybe that what I've say on the other board - pretty but for the older lady. Sleeves too long, material to heavy, shoes could be higher.

I've hope to see her on the next event in better outfit. She need some time to find her new royal style.

Last edited by a moderator:
in fact, all of Marie's clothing looks cheap and tacky --- as if she is shopping at very low-end stores.

After all, it's not as if her Danish lessons were occupying all of her time.

:lol: I have to agree here pamk, Marie doesn't even look a bit classy and I fear that this won't change because a) it perfectly suits Joachim who usually looks terribly old fashioned combined with poor grooming or b) she has already given up as she doesn't want to be drawn into this "who looks better Marie or Mary" competition.

Too bad because Marie does have potential ... hopefully she only needs more time to realize. Rome wasn't build in day.

"What on Earth is she wearing? Did her stylist die prior to her steaming the wrinkles out of her suit? Who ever designed the suit should have used a better fabric. I can see his/her vision, but the execution of the ensemble... tragic. Now, that isn't Marie's fault by the way. As for the hat... oh dear"

you crack me up glittering tiaras, thanks for my laugh outloud of the day:flowers:

OMG that's what it is, i knew the grey outfit reminded me of something, the TIN MAN, thank you duke of marmalade for putting your finger on it!

i'm sorry (and i certainly don't mean to pick on Marie, just the outfit), she looked beautiful and radiant and very happy but the day outfit was awful. i didn't like the dinky hat, the cut of the suit, those sleeves:eek: (she must be using fred's old tailor, remember how his sleeves used to always be too long), the bulky shoulder pads, the wrinkles everywhere.....hopefully it won't show up again in the recycle thread;)

that said- IMO Marie was flawless at the gala.

:flowers: No problem, and I'm glad to put a smile on someone's face today... it was beginning to become too serious in this topic. So I thought I would lighten the mood.:D

Back on topic, the [url=http://www.iblbildarkiv.net/FotoWeb/FWbin/preview.dll/AOD08063023.jpg?D=826D4FD3243C8C18AFC7C6BBFF1BB5DA59A46E228B4EF44C18046D66F6B1D3D13887586ED04C7DB896ECF5E03E912C12FA15FD3B92C5BCDA3253906E0BF4DEF9FF09ED954D9D5180848A6FE7B90626160FD754EE721C2DF4907200D256F7D63857B7C5E96D43C9AD7E20789FEBD29E2AE41025F3D03387C386D011DBE432C9FEB6A9BC3F2F96339CB1AB7620275A3EDB31928BD6A81D6B865CCB740E5AEF770E28027E87C52998BFB95ACBFA966F261ABA025AB56B22F9C1]gala gown[/URL] she wore to the Bella Centre was lovely on her. Deep jewel tones suit her perfectly.

Last edited:
I think we all need to give her a little time. I seem to remember comments about Mary not as elegant as Alexandra, can't compare with Alexandra. Everybody makes fashion mistakes.

I thought Marie looked ok but nothing more in all outfits except for that silver "Tin Man returns" outfit together with a hat that somehow survived a clothes collection several decades ago :eek: - what was she thinking?

I hope with time passing by she will develop some basic fashion sense. Unfortunately it's inevitable that Marie is being compared to her sister-in-law who has raised the bar quite high in terms of appearance.
I agree, Marie must be aware that she will be inevitably compared to Mary and hopefully she will lift her game. Her gala dress is nice and appropriate, but not a knockout or as fashion forward as Mary.

The gala gown looked absolutely smashing on her.
If we can think about it. She must have had to choose a lot of clothes for her new life and it is possible that she will have some bumps along the way.
As long as she promises to burn the silver suit and the hat that went with it I will forget the whole thing ever happenned.

Just as an aside, does anyone know how to save these pics??? Some of them are gorgeous.

Right now, your link shows the grid. When you click on a picture, it looks like this:
royal news
On the right, just above the gallery of photos, there is a button 'Download'. Click on this button and a window opens up where you want the file to be saved. The default filename for all the photos is web.jpg so just give it a new name. There is one event that doesn't have the 'Download' button - Soren probably forgot to put it. Without this 'Download' button, you won't be able to save any of the photos and all you get is a blank file if you right-click and 'save as'. Good Luck!

Thanks ayvee, I'd missed the download button...

I cannot belive!!!Look at that hat so masculine yes Queen Amina you are right masculine is the correct word!!! It is horrible it doesn't suit the outfit it doesn't suit her at all , it's too big and very inapropriate for this ocassion!!! Marie is not a women hat, and this one is really really horrible!!!! The suit is also awful and very old fashion!!

Last edited:
Marie's day time outfit was not that bad, as was said previously the colour works but it would have helped a lot if the fabric was different and if the suit was tailored. Hopefully she'll learn from this though it seems to me like she picked the suit at the very last minute and thus didn't realise that it would wrinkle that badly. As for the hat I really liked it, it was something different from the run of the mill royal hats. It was masculine and could have gone over well with the right kind of bag and better shoes.

Marie's gala gown otoh was inspired, it was the right style, the right fabric and the right colour overall this outfit really did it for me. I hope she can transfer the imagination and input she puts into her evening wear to her day wear as it would go a long way fashionwise.

The purple evening gown was a lovely choice & perfect color. The dress wasnt anything new nor was the style, ive seen it in almost every other magazine but it did suit her well.

I cannot belive!!!Look at that hat so masculine yes Queen Amina you are right masculine is the correct word!!! It is horrible it doesn't suit the outfit it doesn't suit her at all , it's too big and very inapropriate for this ocassion!!! Marie is not a women hat, and this one is really really horrible!!!! The suit is also awful and very old fashion!!
You are right about the suit. Pretty awful. The shoes were wonderful! Not a total loss. Remind me of a pair Mary has.

I still think that the purple gala gown had an almost negligee or nightgown look to it with all of that flowing fabric --- creeped me out.
Just not right for a royal event --- even the medal pinned to the bodice looked badly positioned.
The narrow fringed woolen scarf used as a stole --- did she grab that from her winter coat? Get a proper pashmina in a lighter color --- they are sold everywhere. Ask Mary - she uses pashminas.
The overall effect was so dark --- dark hair, deep tan, purple gown, black accessories in summer? Better luck next time.

The purple evening gown was a lovely choice & perfect color. The dress wasnt anything new nor was the style, ive seen it in almost every other magazine but it did suit her well.

Hasn't Princess Caroline worn something very very similar?

I still think that the purple gala gown had an almost negligee or nightgown look to it with all of that flowing fabric --- creeped me out.
Just not right for a royal event --- even the medal pinned to the bodice looked badly positioned.
The narrow fringed woolen scarf used as a stole --- did she grab that from her winter coat? Get a proper pashmina in a lighter color --- they are sold everywhere. Ask Mary - she uses pashminas.
The overall effect was so dark --- dark hair, deep tan, purple gown, black accessories in summer? Better luck next time.

Methinks you are being too harsh. She looked lovely!

Wow! I'm surprised to see Marie's outfits provoking so much of a reaction!
With the exception of the grey suit, which was not only unattractive but all wrong for the event itself, I think she's looked very nice.

The black and white oufit in Berlin(?) was simple and classic, as was the lovely blue coloured dress. She has the perfect figure for such girlish styles, having very slim shoulders and toned arms.

Both of the purple evening dresses were lovely, the first with the ruffled skirt was particularly nice. The longer dress was pretty, even if the style has been seen before. Plus she won marks in my book for having the good sense to bring a shawl.

The grey suit with the rather masculine hat wasn't one of those moments I see pics of a royal person and go "wow". But the purple gown was nice. I think Marie will get there. She just need some time. :)

Just look at Mary. She has always looked great, but she turn out better and better I think.

The grey suit with the rather masculine hat wasn't one of those moments I see pics of a royal person and go "wow".

Actually, I think thats a really nice way of summing up. Thank you

http://royals.web-log.nl/photos/uncategorized/2008/06/30/mary_marie.jpg i think this outfit was a mistake for Marie
It doesnt seem to fit her right abit too big in all places especially the sleeves
Not keen on the shiny material as it looks cheap and very creased
Its abit too covered up the long sleeves and the high neck - was it a cold day???
it must be hard for Marie especially when Mary turned up in the most lovely outfit ever

it must be hard for Marie especially when Mary turned up in the most lovely outfit ever

Marie will find her royal style with time. Marie may be one of those lucky people who dont really compare themselves with their peers.
At the moment, it looks like Marie may be quite classic, which Mary is, but she is also quite fashion foreward too (if that makes any sense). So hopefully they'll end up with two complementary but differing styles, especially for events such as these where they have to sit side by side.

Last edited:
You can't even compare the two...this is a thread pertaining to Princess Marie's style, not a comparison to Princess Mary's style...which frankly has been getting a bit boring of late, too safe, too polished, too stiff and dare I say it, verging on the Stepford Wives...

I thought Marie's grey/silver suit was fine...the hat was unusual, which is a good thing...I think she is trying her best and I do recall Mary wearing something similar once (yes, I am aware of the hypocrisy)...All her other choices have been satisfactory, but come on, she has been married and a princess, for what, two minutes...give her a break and wait and see...I like what I have seen so far and maybe with Marie it is more like, "What you see is what you get", whereas with Mary her motto could well be, "I'll give you what you want to see"

http://royals.web-log.nl/photos/uncategorized/2008/06/30/mary_marie.jpg i think this outfit was a mistake for Marie
It doesnt seem to fit her right abit too big in all places especially the sleeves
Not keen on the shiny material as it looks cheap and very creased
Its abit too covered up the long sleeves and the high neck - was it a cold day???

The material is very strange and stiff-looking. I really don't like the shape of the hat. This outfit is just wrong for her.

Xeara, I totally agree with you, when I said that Marie's Trillby was masculine I thought it was a good thing. It was just so different from most hats that royal women wear that one has to give her credit for that fashion risk which really worked for her, the only problem was the fabric of her suit. Had the fabric been softer and her heels sky high with that hat she would have made one hell of a sexy princess.

Are you really? Why?
With the exception of the grey suit there's been nothing "wrong" with her outfits per se. She hasn't done a Mabel and worn something outrageous or a Laurentien and opted for something gaudy. If anything she's played it quite safe in her clothing choices.

From what I can see there's nothing controversial about any of the outfits she has worn.

{ed. - Elspeth}

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom