The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 08:02 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamk View Post
Her hair sure is messy -
Hate to make the comparison but Mary and Alexandra are always impeccably groomed, even for a casual concert.
Exactly my thoughts! Private is now only inside their home, not outside. By the way Joachim's combination is so hideous, I mean that's what we usually see on him, these dreadful colours, but I had hoped that Marie had a good influence on his appearance. Not yet it seems, at least for now.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:47 AM
Aristocracy

Marie is naturally beautiful which is probably something Joachim admires and enjoys. They already know one another and this part of their natures. No surprises. I am sure he saw her before they left the house and found her quite appropriate. I have seen MM of Norway in such a hairstyle ... and I think they both look quite lovely. Every hair in place is not necessarily "beautiful". :o)

Old 06-18-2008, 09:23 AM
Nobility

Concert @ Schackenborg - june 17, 2008

http://www.hola.com/casasreales/2008...n-marie-2a.jpg
Old 06-18-2008, 09:51 AM
Nobility

PJ looks like a father who is taking his daughter to school!! Funny looking couple those two (but nice..)
Old 06-18-2008, 11:06 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamk View Post
Her hair sure is messy -
Hate to make the comparison but Mary and Alexandra are always impeccably groomed, even for a casual concert.
The weather on that day was rather changing. The only thing steady was the wind..............so having messy hair is only natural - unless off cause she had the means to controle the weather-gods.

And for wearing a hat - it would not be fitting for that particular event.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Funny the first solo event Mary has done she wear a parka similar than the one Marie wore this day!!! She looks nice, but I think she won't be so stylish has Mary is!
Old 06-18-2008, 07:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Taking a closer look at Marie's ensemble (here, here, and here) at the concert I'm not too fond of the jacket she wore with the pants (way too tight.) The cut of the jacket makes her hips as well as waist look incredible wide. Overall, thumbs down; very sloppy. And don't get me started on Joachim's suit. Is he color blind?

*images courtesy of DRW's; rehosted

Quote:
I don't think so, as she was not sitting in a seperate box but in the first row, so a hat could have spoilt the fun of the others in the rows further to the back.
True.

Quote:
And probably that's how Marie and Joachim want to live at Schackenborg: as a farmer and his wife - while at Copenhagen they are prince and princess.
What in the world does that have to do with hats?
Old 06-19-2008, 12:27 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneeuwklokje View Post
PJ looks like a father who is taking his daughter to school!! Funny looking couple those two (but nice..)
What has that got to do with fashion?
Old 06-19-2008, 12:30 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras View Post
Taking a closer look at Marie's ensemble (here, here, and here) at the concert I'm not too fond of the jacket she wore with the pants (way too tight.) The cut of the jacket makes her hips as well as waist look incredible wide. Overall, thumbs down; very sloppy. And don't get me started on Joachim's suit. Is he color blind?

*images courtesy of DRW's; rehosted

I couldn't have said it better myself. But of course i will add more. The colour combo she is wearing is hideous. It looks very 1990's. And black shoes?? Good lord will someone get this women a stylist??!! And what on earth is Joachim wearing?? My god these two did so well on their wedding day and then to come back and have their first public appearence marred by this hideous, horrible ensemble, such a shame. First impressions count. Was it laundry day or something, or are they blinded by love?
Old 06-19-2008, 01:42 AM
Courtier

Formal --- informal ---
Marie looks dressed waaaaay too down for such an event. It was in their backyard, but it looks like there were dignateries present and she was presented with a bouquet. She could have made some kind of effort to look more decent and pulled together. Nice dressy slacks and a groomed hairdo would have helped. Her clothes look like she bought them at a discount mall.
Look at Joachim - he wore a shirt and tie, so he was a bit dressed up.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras View Post
As for the hats: farmer's wifes in their backyards normally don't wear hats, even if there's a party going on.

If you have a closer look at Marie you'll see that under her jacket she wears a shirt that looks matching to her trousers from colour and fabric. So I guess she wore a trouser suit and added the jacket because of the weather.

I like the way she appeared today with Joachim, very relaxed and full of natural beauty.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:30 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
As for the hats: farmer's wifes in their backyards normally don't wear hats, even if there's a party going on.

If you have a closer look at Marie you'll see that under her jacket she wears a shirt that looks matching to her trousers from colour and fabric. So I guess she wore a trouser suit and added the jacket because of the weather.

I like the way she appeared today with Joachim, very relaxed and full of natural beauty.
She may have added the jacket but it is still, IMO, a horrible outfit, she looks like she just got out of bed. And I don't think it was the day to be ' a natural beauty'. She should have made more of an effort. She looks as bored as her clothes. There's natural and then there's natural.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:43 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
What has that got to do with fashion?
Just their overall image??
Should I put it like this: PJ looks like a daddy who is all dressed up to take his rather underdressed daughter to school??

I actually like men wearing colourfull suits, but Marie isn't doing herself any favours with this set of clothes. Joachim do something about it, Marie is now an HRH. (But he is probably so in luuuuuuuv that he even would like it if she wore a paper sac....)
Old 06-19-2008, 07:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Maries sense of fashion has been, until now, and I'am also talking about her previous marriage days, very awful reagrding official duties, but I'am certain that in a few weeks she will change!!! She has to change and she surely is going to have a fashion adviser but she will chose her suits by her personal taste also so I think she will have a poor fashion sense ath the end!
Old 06-19-2008, 07:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by biboquinhas View Post
Maries sense of fashion has been, until now, and I'am also talking about her previous marriage days, very awful reagrding official duties, but I'am certain that in a few weeks she will change!!! She has to change and she surely is going to have a fashion adviser but she will chose her suits by her personal taste also so I think she will have a poor fashion sense ath the end!
So far I had not the impression that she was poorly dressed. Understated, yes, but not bad quality or bad style. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder and really, as long as she dresses appropriately when on official duty or with other members of the RF then it's okay for me. We've seen later fashion icon Diana in jeans and t-shirt at Highgrove and out and about in the next village as well, so give Marie a break.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:08 AM
Courtier

Lets hope she takes advice well, the girl needs it. She can only go up from here.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by missjane View Post
she looks like she just got out of bed.
I don't know about you and your habits but I prefer to sleep sans make-up, sans jewelery and without a braid, so Marie for me looks not as if she hadn't been to the bathroom this morning.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:33 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
I don't know about you and your habits but I prefer to sleep sans make-up, sans jewelery and without a braid, so Marie for me looks not as if she hadn't been to the bathroom this morning.
Well, people do expect SOMETHING when they come to a concert where there is a princess present. I mean, we all have clothes like that in our closets by the dozen. Alexandra got it right from day 1, why can't she?? Apart from her gorgeous weddingdress, I've never seen her in anything really nice (and I don't mean expensive designerdresses, many highstreetshops have really nice stuff these days), so maybe she is the only French woman "sans sense du fashion"??
Old 06-19-2008, 09:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneeuwklokje View Post
Well, people do expect SOMETHING when they come to a concert where there is a princess present. I mean, we all have clothes like that in our closets by the dozen. Alexandra got it right from day 1, why can't she?? Apart from her gorgeous weddingdress, I've never seen her in anything really nice (and I don't mean expensive designerdresses, many highstreetshops have really nice stuff these days), so maybe she is the only French woman "sans sense du fashion"??
But why do you think it is so bad? We didn't even see her trouser suit properly, so how can we decide is was ugly? And maybe Marie and Joachim are like duck couples with him the colourful part of the two? At least I remember some pics where Marie was dressed appropriatly (Tivoli-party, Fleming-christening, Balcony with Royal family) and Joachim wore terrible combinations with too colourful shirts. But if she loves him and he loves her?

As for her hair, it obviously was windy and a bit cold which hints at weather we call in summer the "backside" of a High, with winds and fast changing clouds mixed with bright sunshine. So I found her hairstyle suitable, have no problem with it.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:41 AM
Nobility

Well, what is dressing appropriately exactly?? That red contraption she wore at the Queen's birthday was absolutely inappropriate (God, what a word to spell..), she outshone the Queen and even Joan Collins wouldn't have worn anything like that in her Dynasty days. The Tivoly dress? Yuck, yuck and more yuck (and tacky as well). Only the christening dress was nice, but then she ruined it by wearing black underneath. She most certainly has the budget for it and lots of time I suppose, but hey, you can't buy taste. I imagine she has had some "princess lessons" and clothing was almost certainly part of that. For the concert e.g. she could have worn a simple black and white pinstripe suit with a white blouse. Perfect for the occasion and no one would have complained. They really have to sort this woman out pretty soon, otherwise we have a Danish Sarah Ferguson on our hands. (Well, that would give anybody something to write about at least....)

Tags
fashion, princess marie, style