The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 06:45 PM
Aristocracy

Angry

oh my i am sorry what is she wearing, the outfit and the hat does not look good, i love what mary is wearing the best she pull it off but is marie getting any help with her fashion? i don't know why they make marie wear that horriable jacket

Old 06-30-2008, 07:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm not to fond of Marie's suit, the color is good but the fabric and cut are not good on her petite frame, the ball gown though is stunning, the color and cut are perfect and her hair is lovely! Mary as always looks flawless, I particularly liked the ball gown, the black top and multicolored skirt is fantastic.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
An unfortunate suit and hat for Marie. The suit appears wrinkled, and the jacket is not fitting. The hat's shape does nothing for her - although it looks better in the pictures far away - but the white does not match the grey suit. (And she should have stuck with the bolder shades - dark blue or the dark purple, because in my opinion, the grey washes her out.)
What on Earth is she wearing? Did her stylist die prior to her steaming the wrinkles out of her suit? Who ever designed the suit should have used a better fabric. I can see his/her vision, but the execution of the ensemble... tragic. Now, that isn't Marie's fault by the way. As for the hat... oh dear.

Bless her heart... she'll find her niche someday...

Quote:
Of course, there is no black pantyhose...
Well thank the higher powers for that!
Old 06-30-2008, 08:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianne View Post
An unfortunate suit and hat for Marie. The suit appears wrinkled, and the jacket is not fitting. The hat's shape does nothing for her - although it looks better in the pictures far away - but the white does not match the grey suit. (And she should have stuck with the bolder shades - dark blue or the dark purple, because in my opinion, the grey washes her out.)

It is, per se, an appropriate suit for the occasion, and with the fashion for skirt length these days barely covering anything, I'm greatly relieved to see Marie's skirts landing neatly at the knees, but the wrinkled look and the colour doesn't really do her any favours. Of course, there is no black pantyhose...
UGH! Marie, that suit and hat are not the best for you at all. Find some help quickly. Mary as always looks every bit the CP. She is just lovely and so put together. Marie has a long, long way to go if this is how she is starting out.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:38 PM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

Marie - please burn that outfit! I have an image of what she reminds me of in my head, but I can't seem to figure out what exactly it is. Not good either way. Mary looks wonderful - a new hat! And a new coat!! Can I ask what the little ribbons they ladies are wearing are for? Both Mary and Marie are wearing them during the day and during the gala
Old 06-30-2008, 09:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'd been wondering that too Jess.

marie looks to me like she might be another letizia, and wear a lot of suits.

Just as an aside, does anyone know how to save these pics??? Some of them are gorgeous.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Why is there such a negative and cruel attitude toward Marie. She has only been a princess for a few weeks. Just look back at Mary's and earlier also Diana's first years and you will find disasters - lots of them. No need to tear her apart. There are many positive ways to look at a young newlywed woman trying to find her style. She has the inborn french "chicness" (probably not such a word) that no other countries women can match. She'll be just fabulous as time goes by.
I feel that the administrators should encourage a civil tone on these boards and not be the voice of constant negativity.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:32 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
Why is there such a negative and cruel attitude toward Marie. She has only been a princess for a few weeks. Just look back at Mary's and earlier also Diana's first years and you will find disasters - lots of them. No need to tear her apart. There are many positive ways to look at a young newlywed woman trying to find her style. She has the inborn french "chicness" (probably not such a word) that no other countries women can match. She'll be just fabulous as time goes by.
I feel that the administrators should encourage a civil tone on these boards and not be the voice of constant negativity.
Amen to that. I totally agree.
We really should not get so hot and bothered. Let's just have fun discussing the two ladies' fashions.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:51 PM
Heir Apparent

I for one think that the tone of this thread is a usual exchange of opinions-both negative and positive. The same happens in other fashion-related threads (e.g., Crown Princess Letizia and Crown Princess Maxima). So far Princess Marie has displayed a rather interesting mix of outfits. A fair number of these outfits had some minuses. Looking at Princess Marie's outfits, I do not see this French innate sense of style.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:55 PM
Gentry

Poor Marie, the suit didn't suit and the hat was a big mistake. Is this the place to ask about the medal Mary was wearing?
Old 06-30-2008, 10:33 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmi View Post
I'd been wondering that too Jess.

marie looks to me like she might be another letizia, and wear a lot of suits.

Just as an aside, does anyone know how to save these pics??? Some of them are gorgeous.
Just right-click and do "Save As".

What is the medal that both ladies are wearing? Is it for some kind of army unit?

I think both Mary and Marie were dressed nice, although Marie's outfit was slightly big for her, and Mary's hat was a different color of purple than her dress.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

This is a discussion forum, Grevinnan, and every single person here has the right to voice their opinion even if it differs vastly from yours. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it wrong, uncivil, and crude. Please respect others opinions.

Second, there has been nothing malicious nor hurtful stated by anyone; in fact, what you as well as others are reading is constructive criticism along with gushing posts. Simply put: There is a civil tone to these posts. So far there hasn't been anything obscene, vulgar, threatening, abusive, or any use of defamatory language within this topic. As Al Bina noted, this is what many topics within the Royal House of Fashion contain. Not everyone agrees and yes, people do voice their strong opinions within the rules of the forums.

If you have more concerns please feel free to contact a RHofF mod via PM anytime.

Thank you for understanding.

GT
RHofF Mod
Old 07-01-2008, 01:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
Just right-click and do "Save As".
I've tried that in the past, and the file name (the one that comes up automatically) is "transparent" - and thats exactly what the image is when I open the file

Thanks tho
Old 07-01-2008, 02:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessRulz View Post
Can I ask what the little ribbons they ladies are wearing are for? Both Mary and Marie are wearing them during the day and during the gala
When you attend anniversaries of some kind in the military, royal house, or other occasions, it is quite common to receive a commemorative medal for the event. Since Mary and Marie are wearing the same medal, I highly suspect that this is such a medal.

Quote:
As I've been one to voice a negative opinion on the last outfit, but been very positive on a lot of the ones before, I'd like to add something to GlitteringTiaras' excellent comment.

I do understand what you're saying, but I don't think Marie is being torn apart. Plain and simple.

Previous in this thread you will find plenty of people liking her style, and plenty of people disliking it. That's human. To me there seems to be a balance between the positive and the negative, people are expressing themselves in civil tones and not using crass language, and most of us are not just saying negative things to be negative (or positive things to be positive, for that matter), but it actually has a basis in something that we've seen her wear. And, yes, for some there will always be negativity, or positivity regardless of the evidence, but one can hope that most of us will look at the evidence prior to making our mind up.

The problems arise when the debate becomes so one-sided that people cannot post their opinions on something because the general consensus has decided that everything this princess does is wonderful, or everything she does is tragic, and all other opinions are shunned and the posters feel excluded.

To me, Marie is a fascinating entity - because I'm able to follow the whole process of becoming "princessified". I like her, as I like Mette-Marit, Victoria, Laurentien, Claire & Mathilde - but that does not mean that I am blind to their faults or turn the other way around when they are wearing something less than fortunate. I'm not looking for the perfect princess, but watching a human adapt to living in, or being, an institution.

And to conclude, I do think she'll be fabulous as time goes by as you say, because she has already shown me - via her outfits prior to marriage, the wedding dress, the dress at the French embassy, the dress at the wedding in Geneva (which I liked, also for an informal summer wedding of friends, even if few others thought it appropriate) and the dress for the concert in Tivoli, which all looked quite good to me.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:28 AM
Gentry

Quote:
I agree, first mistake...

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess gertrude View Post
the ball gown though is stunning, the color and cut are perfect and her hair is lovely!
I agree too: absolutly stunning...
Old 07-01-2008, 04:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
... and the dress for the concert in Tivoli.
Which I thought was spectacular
Old 07-01-2008, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger

First Galadress worn as a Princess

IBL Bildbyrå | 0435 44 07 65

I like it alot. The cut of the neckline looks great on her. As well as the colour.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

IMO, Marie's dress looks cheap. Also the material looks cheap!
I like Mary's dress better.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her_Majesty View Post
First Galadress worn as a Princess

I like it alot. The cut of the neckline looks great on her. As well as the colour.
I like this dress but I can´t see the French "chic" that I would like to see.
Of course the kind of simple chic that we saw when Carla Bruni visited the Queen earlier this year is very expensive to achieve....
Old 07-01-2008, 08:21 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

I thought Marie looked ok but nothing more in all outfits except for that silver "Tin Man returns" outfit together with a hat that somehow survived a clothes collection several decades ago - what was she thinking?

I hope with time passing by she will develop some basic fashion sense. Unfortunately it's inevitable that Marie is being compared to her sister-in-law who has raised the bar quite high in terms of appearance.

Tags
fashion, princess marie, style