Princess Madeleine's Fashion & Style, Part 2: August 2009 - November 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO the best thing about the dress is the rich moss green color. The design of it is strangely old-fashioned and too fussy, adding up to a style that's strictly 'Scarlett O'Hara on a bad day'.
Queen Silvia's 93 Nina Ricci gown may have had similar horizontal stripes, but it was far superior.
Princess Madeleine looks quite gorgeous in close up though, with a good jewelry combination and hairdo (and, Laurentienne: Of course Princess Madeleine dyes her hair, and has been for ages. Her natural color is a dark mousy blonde).

I just LOVE Madeleines dress! I think it´s one of the best she´s ever worn, i love the colour and the cut, the jewels also looked great - even though she´s wearing the four-button tiara...

IMO the best thing about the dress is the rich moss green color. The design of it is strangely old-fashioned and too fussy, adding up to a style that's strictly 'Scarlett O'Hara on a bad day'.
Queen Silvia's 93 Nina Ricci gown may have had similar horizontal stripes, but it was far superior.
Princess Madeleine looks quite gorgeous in close up though, with a good jewelry combination and hairdo (and, Laurentienne: Of course Princess Madeleine dyes her hair, and has been for ages. Her natural color is a dark mousy blonde).

I agree with Boris the colour is the best thing about the dress, and I couldn't find the words to describe what I thought of the dress but 'Scarlett O'Hara on a bad day' hit the nail on the head!! :ROFLMAO:

I also agree that Queen Silvia's 93 was much nicer than what Madeleine wore..Does anyone know who designed this gown? Or maybe (lets hope not) Madeleine had an input?

Now to be positive, I liked her hair style (but not the colour) and make up. But the tiara and necklace didn't seem to 'sit' well together. All in all this was a very busy emsemble and overly fussy. Im very disappointed :sad:

I like the colour, but the stripes are simply too much for my taste. :ermm:

I love the colour, but I don't care for the lacy stripes. They are too "Old West", IMO. Her hair and tiara look great. The train of the dress is also very pretty, except for the lace.

I agree totally, sgl. She looks divine in green, but the stripes don't work. Victoria's dress was way better.

Hmm, not the best of her Nobel look, but she looks good. I don't like this color on her. The lacy stripes are interesting details.

Not the best dress she has but it's ok!

We'll see tonight if she does better!

After long consideration, my opinion is that the dress works for Madeleine. I'm not quite sure why, the color, shape or what, but even the dreaded black lace is ok on this dress. Please keep in mind that I'm saying that this is the best dress I've ever seen on her, but definately not the worst. Now after saying all that, I kind of hope that I don't see it again (can't explain that thought either?!?!?).

If only the balck lace would have been used on the bodice only of the gown, I would LOVE this dress. The lace just needed editing, IMO. The luxury of the green satin looks fantastic on Madeline. I personally liked the "comb" adornement of the button tiara in her loosely toused hair. The necklace is devine.

I am inclined to agree this Scarlet on a bad day. The shiny the lace I don't think it works on her at all what makes the outfit is the jewels gorgeous otherwise it would be a complete madame look IMHO

Madeleine today at the King´s dinner, she is wearing last year´s Nobel Day dress, moderated version. I don´t like her hairdo.
IBL Bildbyrå
IBL Bildbyrå
Last year the dress looked like this
IBL Bildbyrå
I like this new version much more than last year.

LadyFinn your links aren't working for me.

The links aren't working for me either.

I thought her green Nobel dress this year looked more like a prom dress a teenage girl without much money would wear. I liked the one tonight (Dec. 11) a lot better, though. More mature looking.

:previous:

Lovely gown, well tailored and nice make up. Madeleine looks every inch a Princess IMO. :flowers: Only her hair looks a bit messy from the back view to me.

Apparently IBL has some problems.
Here are the photos of the dress:
SvenskDam
SvenskDam
Last year:
ANP Beeldbank

Is it the same version?
Seems a lot of alteration to the dress.
Pattern on the bottom of the bodice, the added off the shoulder straps, it's also a different colour than last years dress and the bodice seems tighter. :ermm:

Anyway I love it, she looks stunning in chocolate. :flowers:

Indeed, there have been considerable alterations made to this dress by Lars Wallin, and I can only applaud them. The reworked version of this dress is far superior to the overly fussy original - a classic and classy look.
All in all, Princess Madeleine's clothing color palette has become quite interesting over the past year, with original choices resulting in sometimes surprisingly good results.
It's a pity though that her curly updo from last night hides the two strands of diamonds in her hair.

This brown new dress is very beautiful! Madeleine was lovely and so happy to be with her fiancé!

I really like the new version of last year's dress much better. It looked great on Madeleine.
The colours suit her best. I also liked her hairdo. Pitty that the diamonds in her hair were hardly recognizable.

I agree that the re-worked version was much better! Last years pink jacket always looked very strange to me, and I mean both the poofy cut and the colour combination. But the shoulder line of the new version is very flattering. Imo both sisters looked very nice together, with the colours of their dresses and off-the-shoulder-cut harmonizing. It only looked strange that Madeleine was the only one without a tiara, and the diamond necklace barely visible in her curly up-do (which would have been great to show off a tiara, by the way).

Last years dress says to me "I'm a young lady who has a boyfriend". This years remade dress says, "I am a woman who is about to be married." The remake is very becoming on Princess Madeline, I love this color on her, which is strange on a blonde (though the pink unlerlay helps her coloring).

Additionally, her hair kept toused is appealing to me, and I rather like the Romanesque feel of the diamond headband amongst her curls. Madeline's evening bag is especially nice with the studs. The necklace, I truly love. I have noticed that Princess Madeline always seems to know what necklaces to wear, good for her, she has a treasure trove to choose from...

Apparently IBL has some problems.
Here are the photos of the dress:
SvenskDam
SvenskDam
Last year:
ANP Beeldbank

Lovely dress, amazing color for her - warm and deep.The embroidering on the skirt is fantastic. I also like the reduced straps. The hairstyle is so nice, the diamonds are a amazing details. The clutch bag is amazing (Bottega Veneta?? --> picture

I found a close-up of princess hair with headband
close-up

Last edited:
Yippee Madeleine wore a nice dress! I really was expecting something bad. This dress is much better altered than the way it was last year, I love the neckline, as Madeleine has great shoulders and arms to wear this style!

I liked her hair with the diamonds too, really different. However (I'm going to be a spoilsport) I would liked for her to wear a tiara to such a special event and maybe the diamonds hair peice to another event

Indeed, there have been considerable alterations made to this dress by Lars Wallin, and I can only applaud them. The reworked version of this dress is far superior to the overly fussy original - a classic and classy look.
All in all, Princess Madeleine's clothing color palette has become quite interesting over the past year, with original choices resulting in sometimes surprisingly good results.
It's a pity though that her curly updo from last night hides the two strands of diamonds in her hair.

Just wondering, as this dress has been altered would it have been altered by the original designer? Or would that be offensive to the original design concept?

I understand that many royal ladies alter their clothes, and I think this is great, but would the original garment's designer be willing to accomodate such changes?

I'm interested as it seems that the royals are the only ones in the public eye who do this as celebrities only wear an outfit once, and if it's recycled it's a faux pas.

Has Lars Wallin designed many outfits or gowns for Princess Madeleine?

Thanks for any answers to my questions (I know there are a few!) :flowers:

Lovely dress, amazing color for her - warm and deep.The embroidering on the skirt is fantastic. I also like the reduced straps. The hairstyle is so nice, the diamonds are a amazing details. The clutch bag is amazing (Bottega Veneta?? --> picture

I found a close-up of princess hair with headband
close-up

I too love this clutch! Lucky Madeleine, has a few Bottege Veneta bags which she gets a lot of use out of...I would LOVE to even have one! :lol:

Just wondering, as this dress has been altered would it have been altered by the original designer? Or would that be offensive to the original design concept?

I understand that many royal ladies alter their clothes, and I think this is great, but would the original garment's designer be willing to accomodate such changes?

I'm interested as it seems that the royals are the only ones in the public eye who do this as celebrities only wear an outfit once, and if it's recycled it's a faux pas.

Has Lars Wallin designed many outfits or gowns for Princess Madeleine?

Thanks for any answers to my questions (I know there are a few!) :flowers:
That's an interesting question and my answer is only speculation. But I imagine that a designer would rather change the dress him- or herself rather than having someone else do it. He or she might have had several ideas for it right from the beginning of the design process and had to decide on one version for the finished dress. Maybe designers like to play around these different ideas as every alteration also is a creative process. Also they might still have some of the original materials, so that they can add or replace parts with it.
But as usual with royal-related topics no-one talks about the behind the scene things. I guess that royals buy their dresses, unlike celebrities who borrow most of their gala gowns. So they have every right to alter and recycle them. I like to think of it as a sign of real class and style compared to sheer desposible red carpet celebrity glam. ...uups I veered off topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom