Princess Letizia's Eveningwear Part 3: February 2009 - July 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Letizia's dress, though I find ridiculous that she has changed it 3 times.
It looks like she cannot afford to buy a new one.
I didn't like the shoes and the pin.
Carla looked by far more chic.
Queen Sofia looked great in red.
http://i44.tinypic.com/16a39r7.jpg

This dress has been worn 3 times. The 3rd time is the worst of all. The added beadwork makes it look quite cheap.

I couldn't agree more! The dress was sparkling the way it was originally designed and basically "raped" by the first alteration and even more 2nd time, adding those cheap looking beadwork or embroidery that doesn't work with the back of the dress.

Updo and tiara is always better but hair and make-up was fine. Good to know that Letizia owns the double platforms in silver, too :eek:

I thought that overall everybody involved looked pretty uncomfortable and like they are all glad it's over, sporting some fake smiles etc all evening. Both Carla and Letizia looked pretty plastic imo and far from natural but Carla is Carla, she's got the look, and any comparison is unfair because she is a former professional model, blessed with style and grace, Letizia might be trying hard but is not quite getting there. Carla looked devine, Letizia next to her had something of a dressed up Barbie.

It's a bit painful to see what has become of one of the best dresses Varela ever made for the Princess. "Rape" unfortunately puts it right. The silhouette and elegance of the original were brilliant, the first alteration was bland, but the second re-incarnation doesn't make any sense at all anymore, design-wise.
The newly added, rather girlish embroidery doesn't match the great sequinned train and ruins its effect, and adding it to the hemline as well throws the gown's proportions off.
That awful glorified safety pin on display wasn't even needed with the fleur-de-lys-brooch sufficiently securing the sash... all in all, Letizia continues to be quite unfortunate in her choice of gala looks.
Carla Bruni's overall style in her midnight blue velvet gown was perfectly elegant - she might have a model's training, but that doesn't buy you great taste, which she has. Gorgeous draping details of the fabric too, visible only on a few pics as the gown's color is so dark.
In close up, it's rather amazing to see how boldly the Princess used make up in comparison to Carla Bruni, who goes for a more appealing natural look (of course achieved by make up as well), while Letizia's face almost looks painted in.

It's a bit painful to see what has become of one of the best dresses Varela ever made for the Princess. "Rape" unfortunately puts it right. The silhouette and elegance of the original were brilliant, the first alteration was bland, but the second re-incarnation doesn't make any sense at all anymore, design-wise.
The newly added, rather girlish embroidery doesn't match the great sequinned train and ruins its effect, and adding it to the hemline as well throws the gown's proportions off.
That awful glorified safety pin on display wasn't even needed with the fleur-de-lys-brooch sufficiently securing the sash... all in all, Letizia continues to be quite unfortunate in her choice of gala looks.
Carla Bruni's overall style in her midnight blue velvet gown was perfectly elegant - she might have a model's training, but that doesn't buy you great taste, which she has. Gorgeous draping details of the fabric too, visible only on a few pics as the gown's color is so dark.
In close up, it's rather amazing to see how boldly the Princess used make up in comparison to Carla Bruni, who goes for a more appealing natural look (of course achieved by make up as well), while Letizia's face almost looks painted in.

I agree with everything you said Boris - but the dress was designed by Caprile, not Varela (we don't want to give him credit for something he didn't do in the first place, do we ;)).

Thank you for the correction - I typed in the wrong name, of course the beautiful original was by Caprile... I doubt that Varela has the expertise to make a gown like this one.
It's forever regrettable that Princess Letizia switched to Varela for most of her eveningwear. It would be interesting to know who made the alterations to the silver gown now - I can't imagine that Caprile would destroy his own design, and the new beading is not exquisitely made either.

Honesty, I don't like this dress. Previous version were much better for me. Without the collar CP looks so tiny. Nice hairdo but I would like to se other tiara.

I really like this gown. Maybe she has worn it before but, it's still very elegant & I think this one looks better than the previous one. I like her make-up & hair,too.

I couldn't believe it either. I had to look very closely but the infamous "safety pin" was back! Kind of sad....
I have to feel that there is some meaning behind this safety pin, especially since she wears it quite openly and wants people to notice. Just wish that the reason [whether a joke or a deeply sentimental reason] would be "leaked" the public. You know that Felipe and other Royals know about the safety pin and do not discourage. A puzzle.

She looks like a princess.
She is a Princess.

There really have been many gala occasions in the past months.
I liked the red lace dress alot. Really stunning.
I didn't like the silver one. The material looked a little too pale and the cut wasn't especially flattering for Letizia.

I was never a big fan of this dress although it's glitzy enough for the event itself. I think I preferred its second incarnation the most.

She seemed to be wearing a bustle and when she turned sideways I didn´t like it at all, from the front I thought she looked stunning but I am afraid as far as "chic" goes Carla won this particular round she just oozes class.

Did she wear this particular dress before her wedding, I don't remember it. It might just be me being forgetful.

It is a beautiful dress, and this probably has been posted before but I believe Letizia and Carla have graced the front cover of the Daily Telegraph, with the headline Has Carla met her match? A beautiful article comparing Letizia and Carla Sarkozy.
x

Yes lumutqueen she did, it was her prewedding dinner, check out the thread for that for tons of pictures! ;)

I was never a big fan of this dress although it's glitzy enough for the event itself. I think I preferred its second incarnation the most.
Yes, I too preferred the second incarnation. It had a more balanced appearance and with her updo the Prussian tiara perfected the whole look.

This time round as soon as she turned sideways I thought :eek: She needed more at the top of the dress to balance it out. It almost looks unfinished! Which, with the obligatory safety-pin makes it look even more so. The mess of hair made the Prussian tiara look very small! No balance at all.

The beading on the dress actually reflects the details on the train
http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/9281/27apriln.jpg
picture from royals

I meant it in a different sense. The embrodery might match the behind but completely destroys the design of the dress. The original was designed to honour the Countess of Barcelona who owned a similar dress and whose former jewellery Letizia wore on the eve of her wedding, with the "train" as eyecatcher.

I already thought that altering the top made the dress, that used to be so classy and regal, incredibly bland, and now adding the embrodery makes it actually look cheap, like a doll's dress, suiting the girly platform style Letizia loves so much.

:previous: Unfortunately you have the right of it. Having looked at the previous incarnations and then this latest debacle I have to question just who is in charge of Letizia's wardrobe.

For heavens sake, there is enough tinselly embroidery lace around the bottom of her dress to decorate an entire Christmas Tree. And as for the deletion of all taste by adding the same tinsel look to the bodice it would be an embarassment if it wasn't for the fact the all eyes were glued to the extraordinary addition of a "Bustle". It is truely rivetting. But tell me, what woman in her right mind would want to walk around with all eyes fixated on her butt, bustle and train?

All I can say is . . . . . Bin it, Burn it! Put a stake through the bodice if need be, so there is no way that that sucker is ever going to arise to haunt us again.

I ask you, who in this brave new millenium would turn a Haute Couture work of art into a travesty of Hollywood brass by choice?

Perhaps the silver/grey gown was altered for the Indian State visit. Caprile added the embroidery because the Indian sari is usually sequined embroidered. When I first saw Sofia's red gown at the gala dinner for the French President, I already had a thought that Letizia might swap the two gowns to avoid wearing the same color, so that she wouldn't be accused of trying to upstage the Queen. I'm more convinced now after seeing the details of the altered gown in the HQ pictures. I wish Caprile would talk why he altered the gown again and added the embroidery this time as he did through an interview last time.

I wish Caprile would talk why he altered the gown again and added the embroidery this time as he did through an interview last time.

Maybe it wasn't him this time and somebody else sat behind Zarzuela's sewing machine. I recall that he confirmed that the Princess requested to alter the dress the first time around, poor man, what could he do, the top was already perfect so he had to come up with something that was bound to look worse.

The second alteration was actually no change in design but only taking away parts of the train and add it to the border, top and bottom, instead. Anyone with simple sewing skills could have done that, no need to involve Caprile again.

i would love to see her gala dresses side by side
i think there has been such link before but i cant find it

:previous: See post #205 of this thread!
:)

Although I loved the original version, it was very regal and just gorgeous, still the first alteration was contemporary with clean lines. But I hate the latest incarnation. Talk about ruining a good thing. If she had stopped at the extra beading around the neckline, it would have looked acceptable. That extra inch at the hem doesn't make any sense.

Carla's Sarkozy dress was by far much better than Letizia's one. It's simple, yet sophisticated by the detail of deep back colar. I never liked those satin dresses that letizia wears, imo, the fabric make it too much and cheap, maybe if it was another fabric, it would be better.

Why so much importance to that silver dress?

Why did she alter it? and why such obstination on that dress?

are there no other dresses? I prefer she sticked to the wonderful red dresses she has...

I don´t like this evening dress,she has more beautiful evening dresses

That silver dress is on an amazing journey. I love it! It just keeps evolving and changing. Very economical too. Can't wait to see it again--new and improved, I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom