The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 11:09 AM
Royal Highness

Thank you for the information,Princess!

Old 03-02-2009, 11:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

Only the Catholic reigning Queens, Princesses, etc.., have the Privilčge du blanc, "privilege of the white".

Old 03-02-2009, 12:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Letizia was the picture of perfection when meeting the Pope, imho. Her dress was pure simple elegance and she looked lovely wearing a mantilla. A very regal royal..
Old 03-02-2009, 01:49 PM
Heir Apparent

I never knew that there was a protocol for color selection when meeting the Pope. Thank you, Princess of Europe, for the information. I think that Letizia looked perfect for her meeting with the Pope. The mantilla was gorgeous, and her dress was elegant. Yes, the dress was conservative, but that is the style that is expected for a meeting with the Pope.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaK View Post
The black dress is a bit too conservative on its own, but fits the mantilla perfectly. I'd love to see Letizia wearing a white mantilla (like Elena) one day.

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/7872/51003870.jpg
http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/2922/51003564.jpg
http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/7043/51003472.jpg
http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/3308/51003547.jpg
I must say that I usually like the black mantilla more than the white one, itīs more traditional ( Iīve seen it more times, in my own family). Iīve always loved seeing women wear black mantilla, and Letizia wears it really well (although, honestly, Iīve never seen a woman who doesnīt look good with mantilla, itīs so elegant...)

Old 03-02-2009, 05:42 PM
Moderator Emeritus

State Visit from Russia

Letizia wearing a new galadress

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...fQfHz/610x.jpg

I am a little disappointed by this new dress.
The top is nice, but the bottom part looks weird.
It looks like she wore a dress and put another skirt over it.
Her hair looks beautiful (although I'll never really like seeing tiaras and open hair) .

Old 03-02-2009, 06:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her_Majesty View Post

Her hair looks beautiful (although I'll never really like seeing tiaras and open hair) .
Do you remember that ugly pink gown by Varela ? It looks like he cut short the sleeves, changed the fabric of the skirt, here goes his black version . I'd rather see her recycling than wasting money on another Varela's gown. Hopefully it's only a rent, return the ugly skirt as soon as the gala is over (the top is not bad) .
I agree her hair looks beautiful. Prussian tiara looks better with open hair.
Queen's stunning red gown looks like the one from the gala in NY with Clinton and Penelope.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...GZ1wK/610x.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...59fx1/610x.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...ff7C2/610x.jpg
Old 03-02-2009, 06:04 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her_Majesty View Post

yes almost like a dirndl the top looks like a bathing suit and too bad she didn't bring something to cover those arms another odd gala look. as usual it's queen sofia who adds some quality.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:05 PM
Nobility

I prefer gowns with long sleeves for Letizia
Old 03-02-2009, 06:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
yes almost like a dirndl the top looks like a bathing suit and too bad she didn't bring something to cover those arms another odd gala look. as usual it's queen sofia who adds some quality.
Why should she cover her arms ? That's just how she looks and she is comfortable with it, that's all it matters. Some royals have thick knees or legs, sometimes wore skirts above the keen, does it really matter ?
Many models out there have the same or even thinner arms, they don't cover theirs .
Old 03-02-2009, 06:15 PM
Royal Highness

Well,too bad for them!!
Old 03-02-2009, 06:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

This kind of 'overskirt' was a popular late 1980s look for evening dresses - especially for matrons. This is not only un-imaginative but also completely outdated.
This dress does nothing for Letizia, but then the whole Varela closet doesn't. Her gala wardrobe will remain in quite a desperate state if new additions look like this.
Queen Sofia is more elegant and fashionable on these occasions than her daughter-in-law... I don't get it.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:29 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

its the large overskirt that annoys me - she does favour those oversized puff skirts and they swamp her (i think this is her 4th dress like this - green skirt, brown and red skirt and the pink crinkle skirt and now this black one) I think this would have looked better without the puff skirt and been far better a sleak beaded dress from top to bottom

Old 03-02-2009, 06:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

As long as they are comfortable with their own appearance.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaK View Post
As long as they are comfortable with their own appearance.
Hmmm.... IMO a royal spouse should have a more polished look for a occasion like that. And yes, there is definately a huge differeence between a future queen and a model or an actress
regarding the look.
She need advice!
I know that we should not compare her to the Queens and Princesses, but Letzia could learn a lot when looking what a Queen Silvia has worn in her early years, what kind of
gowns a CP Victoria or Mary wears at such occasions, and most of the time Maxima gets it right at State Dinners.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinigirl View Post
Hmmm.... IMO a royal spouse should have a more polished look for a occasion like that. And yes, there is definately a huge differeence between a future queen and a model or an actress
regarding the look.
She need advice!
I know that we should not compare her to the Queens and Princesses, but Letzia could learn a lot when looking what a Queen Silvia has worn in her early years, what kind of
gowns a CP Victoria or Mary wears at such occasions, and most of the time Maxima gets it right at State Dinners.
I was only refering to the physical look, in fact Letizia rarely wore flashy clothes like a model. She didn't dress like a model either at the dinner. She has thin arms, that's how she looks even when she was pregnant, it doesn't mean she can't wear sleeveless clothes (black sleeveless dresses was Audrey Hepburn's signature look). Victoria's arms were pretty masculine before she lost weight the last few months (a very noticeable weight loss was at the Nobel awards last year) and her gala gowns were almost always the same style in different colors (very boring), Mary has a rather broad shoulder for her height, I don't think they looked perfect on sleeveless clothes either, it doesn't matter as long as they are comfortable with it.
Letizia has nice makeup and hair, I don't find her unpolished, just don't like her clothes. Regarding most of Varela's clothes not good enough for a future queen, that's another story (that I agree with).
Old 03-02-2009, 06:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Oh boy! The overskirt is hideous enough in itself, but showing a few inches of the dress at the bottom is even worse in my book!
The hair is fine in and of itself, but another, softer, tiara would have been far more flattering.
I'm sorry but I just dont like this at all!
Old 03-02-2009, 07:00 PM
Aristocracy

I think it's a beautiful dress.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:18 PM
Courtier

It is very hard for me to see what the dress is really like - the top looks pretty, but I don't like her skinny arms - they are skinny not toned -
This the best hair-do which I have seen Letizia wear with that ugly Prussian tiara -
Old 03-03-2009, 12:42 AM
Imperial Majesty

The dress is beautiful and I donīt mind that it is sleeveless, her arms donīt look too skinny.
Daylife

Closed Thread