The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 05:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her_Majesty View Post
Letizia recycling her silver pre-wedding gown
Silver Dress
Another picture

Well, the dress still looks lovely, but I really liked it much better with the original collar.

(1) The first time Letizia wore the dress (pre-wedding)
Original Version(pictures from Royals)

(2) For the State Visit from Hungary (2005) the collar was altered
Altered Version (Jamd)

(3) The new version (the collar has been altered again as well as the bottom part)
Current Version
This is one of my favourite Letizia´s gowns. I think that my favourite version is the second, but the others two are beautiful too.
She looks stunning this night, very regal.

Proud admirer and supporter of the Princess of Asturias, Viana and Gerona (2005 - ) :)
Old 04-27-2009, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger

Some more pictures of the dress

http://www.hola.com/casasreales/2009...palacio-3a.jpg
http://www.hola.com/casasreales/2009...palacio-1a.jpg
http://www.hola.com/casasreales/2009...palacio-4a.jpg (Hair is lovely, but I hoped to see an updo this time....and: the good old safety Pin is back. )

Old 04-27-2009, 05:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
the good old safety Pin is back. )
Oh no...not again

Proud admirer and supporter of the Princess of Asturias, Viana and Gerona (2005 - ) :)
Old 04-27-2009, 05:34 PM
Heir Apparent

I couldn't believe it either. I had to look very closely but the infamous "safety pin" was back! Kind of sad....
Old 04-27-2009, 05:47 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Letizia looked fantastic tonight at the gala she really pulled it all together for the dinner with Carla (except for her platform shoes of course) - ive been waiting to see this dress since its last outing in january 2005 and what a perfect occassion to dust it off from the wardrobe

Troonopvolgers!: Staatsbezoek uit Frankrijk aan Spanje.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:47 PM
Heir Apparent

I love this silver dress. The most recent styling is very pretty. I love the beaded detail on the top and bottom. She looked very beautiful.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

I too love the detail on the bottom of the also, it is beautiful. The top of he dress is something in any of the versions that I have not loved. It's very, well I just don't have any words. Her hair and makeup and tiara are stunning!
Old 04-27-2009, 09:48 PM
Aristocracy

Wow, Letizia is very elegant and beautiful. I like her gown in any version, also I like the tiara too. She has a very good figure to wear such stunning gala dress even have 2 pregnacies. She tends to have the open hair with tiara recently but i think that updo is always the best way to wear tiara. Anyway, I am happy she used the old dress plus a little change. So fresh! She is just gorgorus
Old 04-27-2009, 10:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

I like that this dress seems to be slightly remodeled each time we see it. This time, the top is almost a bit too celebrity for me, but my goodness does she look great in it!
It was a nice colur choice next to the black and the red of the other women too.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:04 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

This dress has been worn 3 times. The 3rd time is the worst of all. The added beadwork makes it look quite cheap. Overall, not too sure if I like the look. She didnt seem to be wearing a necklace which I think she had to since neckline is quite open.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

I like Letizia's dress, though I find ridiculous that she has changed it 3 times.
It looks like she cannot afford to buy a new one.
I didn't like the shoes and the pin.
Carla looked by far more chic.
Queen Sofia looked great in red.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:31 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
This dress has been worn 3 times. The 3rd time is the worst of all. The added beadwork makes it look quite cheap.
I couldn't agree more! The dress was sparkling the way it was originally designed and basically "raped" by the first alteration and even more 2nd time, adding those cheap looking beadwork or embroidery that doesn't work with the back of the dress.

Updo and tiara is always better but hair and make-up was fine. Good to know that Letizia owns the double platforms in silver, too

I thought that overall everybody involved looked pretty uncomfortable and like they are all glad it's over, sporting some fake smiles etc all evening. Both Carla and Letizia looked pretty plastic imo and far from natural but Carla is Carla, she's got the look, and any comparison is unfair because she is a former professional model, blessed with style and grace, Letizia might be trying hard but is not quite getting there. Carla looked devine, Letizia next to her had something of a dressed up Barbie.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

It's a bit painful to see what has become of one of the best dresses Varela ever made for the Princess. "Rape" unfortunately puts it right. The silhouette and elegance of the original were brilliant, the first alteration was bland, but the second re-incarnation doesn't make any sense at all anymore, design-wise.
The newly added, rather girlish embroidery doesn't match the great sequinned train and ruins its effect, and adding it to the hemline as well throws the gown's proportions off.
That awful glorified safety pin on display wasn't even needed with the fleur-de-lys-brooch sufficiently securing the sash... all in all, Letizia continues to be quite unfortunate in her choice of gala looks.
Carla Bruni's overall style in her midnight blue velvet gown was perfectly elegant - she might have a model's training, but that doesn't buy you great taste, which she has. Gorgeous draping details of the fabric too, visible only on a few pics as the gown's color is so dark.
In close up, it's rather amazing to see how boldly the Princess used make up in comparison to Carla Bruni, who goes for a more appealing natural look (of course achieved by make up as well), while Letizia's face almost looks painted in.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:02 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
It's a bit painful to see what has become of one of the best dresses Varela ever made for the Princess. "Rape" unfortunately puts it right. The silhouette and elegance of the original were brilliant, the first alteration was bland, but the second re-incarnation doesn't make any sense at all anymore, design-wise.
The newly added, rather girlish embroidery doesn't match the great sequinned train and ruins its effect, and adding it to the hemline as well throws the gown's proportions off.
That awful glorified safety pin on display wasn't even needed with the fleur-de-lys-brooch sufficiently securing the sash... all in all, Letizia continues to be quite unfortunate in her choice of gala looks.
Carla Bruni's overall style in her midnight blue velvet gown was perfectly elegant - she might have a model's training, but that doesn't buy you great taste, which she has. Gorgeous draping details of the fabric too, visible only on a few pics as the gown's color is so dark.
In close up, it's rather amazing to see how boldly the Princess used make up in comparison to Carla Bruni, who goes for a more appealing natural look (of course achieved by make up as well), while Letizia's face almost looks painted in.
I agree with everything you said Boris - but the dress was designed by Caprile, not Varela (we don't want to give him credit for something he didn't do in the first place, do we ).
Old 04-28-2009, 07:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you for the correction - I typed in the wrong name, of course the beautiful original was by Caprile... I doubt that Varela has the expertise to make a gown like this one.
It's forever regrettable that Princess Letizia switched to Varela for most of her eveningwear. It would be interesting to know who made the alterations to the silver gown now - I can't imagine that Caprile would destroy his own design, and the new beading is not exquisitely made either.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Some more pictures of the dress

http://www.hola.com/casasreales/2009...palacio-3a.jpg
http://www.hola.com/casasreales/2009...palacio-1a.jpg
http://www.hola.com/casasreales/2009...palacio-4a.jpg (Hair is lovely, but I hoped to see an updo this time....and: the good old safety Pin is back. )
Yesterday night we have seen a really wonderful Letizia...
Old 04-28-2009, 01:16 PM
Royal Highness

Honesty, I don't like this dress. Previous version were much better for me. Without the collar CP looks so tiny. Nice hairdo but I would like to se other tiara.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:20 PM
Heir Apparent

I really like this gown. Maybe she has worn it before but, it's still very elegant & I think this one looks better than the previous one. I like her make-up & hair,too.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by udyusa View Post
I couldn't believe it either. I had to look very closely but the infamous "safety pin" was back! Kind of sad....
I have to feel that there is some meaning behind this safety pin, especially since she wears it quite openly and wants people to notice. Just wish that the reason [whether a joke or a deeply sentimental reason] would be "leaked" the public. You know that Felipe and other Royals know about the safety pin and do not discourage. A puzzle.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:41 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I couldn't agree more! The dress was sparkling the way it was originally designed and basically "raped" by the first alteration and even more 2nd time, adding those cheap looking beadwork or embroidery that doesn't work with the back of the dress.

The beading on the dress actually reflects the details on the train
http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/9281/27apriln.jpg
picture from royals

Closed Thread