Princess Letizia's Eveningwear Part 2: July 2008 - February 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She looked stunning at Joachim & Marie's wedding last May,in her gorgeous red gown,and then nothing.Very second-class clothes,as you said.Clothes that we all can afford,but most of us wouldn't even bother to shop.Especially in Greece,Zara and Mango shops are at the bottom of a woman's list.Who needs another blouse from Zara or a Mango dress?I mean they are so affordable and common-you can see such clothes every day around you-that you just don't get excited by them anymore.

She looked stunning at Joachim & Marie's wedding last May,in her gorgeous red gown,and then nothing.Very second-class clothes,as you said.Clothes that we all can afford,but most of us wouldn't even bother to shop.Especially in Greece,Zara and Mango shops are at the bottom of a woman's list.Who needs another blouse from Zara or a Mango dress?I mean they are so affordable and common-you can see such clothes every day around you-that you just don't get excited by them anymore.

Dear Iakynthi! CP Letizia did not attend the wedding of Marie and Joachim.
Do you mean the gorgeous red dress she wore to Mary and Frederick wedding?

Letizia as well as other princesses promotes her country's designers. thats why she wears a lot of Mango, Zara, Massimo Dutti. And thats great they are popular in other countries (may be because of the Princess ;) )

Obviously,I was confused.Thanks for the correction,Sofajr!
I was talking about the greek reality around me:those brands are not that popular anymore,not as much as they used to be in the past.But,I can understand the fact that a Princess can influence other women in the way they are dressed.It's only natural.

Have you ever thought of the idea, that Letizia may be LIKE her dresses and that this is the reason, why she repeats them so often. I know how hard it can be to find good looking evening gowns, that fit and make you feel comfortable at the same time.

I like that she wears Zara, Mango etc. The most spanish women can afford those dresses too, and that makes her go more intouch with the people. They can say, she is still one of us.
If you look at the political situation Letizia and Felipe really need the benevolence of the people, to become King and Queen.
In those times of economic crisis you can't waste money on expensive gowns. Although you might be right, Duke of Marmalade, buying ONE expensive dress make people more furious than some little daywear clothings. It's not so conspicuous.

I think she wears the platform shoes because of Felipes heigth. And - if you have ever worn highheels with and without platforms - you know, the ones having a platform are more comfortable.

:previous: She probably does like them but oh how I wish she still wore the type of clothers that she wore up to her wedding.

Recycling her clothes is both commendable and necessary, we just wish there were a few really "Wow" dresses in her wardrobe. She has to have new clothes and we are all aware that "Gala" wear doesn't doesn't come cheap. So to are TPTB, but surely is is just as easy to buy something terrific instead of something her mother-in-law wouldn't be out of place in! :ohmy:

agreed so i change my statement to she stopped looking "splendid" after the year of her wedding, 2004.
i find you so hard with letizia
yes in years 2003 2004 and some of 2005 she had a fantastic look and apparence, she was a "new princess"
but she "learned" the job and she prefers to give it an other importance than dresses, fashion, apparence...
she is always, nice dressed, she is always elegant, she is always very smart
yes the most of the time she wears "normal" clothes , and what? this is her choice, her point of view, and if you or me or other people who love to see fantastics gowns, eveningwears, beautiful, spectacular dresses we can go toward fashion site"s, or magazine, or looking for actresse"s "red carpet" pictures...

I agree with you ikram, she can be that type of obsessed princess with fashion and the perfect look, but she chooses to be elegant, simple with normal outfits and really I respect her for that cause she can do something for her people with simple dresses:)

Yes but her body measures never really changed. It's not that she gained weight etc and had to bin and replace her whole wardrobe.

That was not my point. She had 2 kids the first 3 years, she spent the majority of time wearing the maternity clothes or the maternity leave. Although I do like to know why she hasn't been recycling the clothes before her pregnancy with Leonor was known, if she still owns those clothes.

I agree that good gowns can be recyled forever but how many gala gowns of this category does Letizia own - I am talking about high level, eg state events? Not more than four or five, the rest are strange combinations consisting of second class Varela top & skirt. In terms of "decent" gala gowns Letizia is at the very end of the royal list compared to what both her peers and mother-in-law or sisters-in-law usually own and wear. I haven't seen her "sparkling" for years, acutally she stopped looking splendid on her wedding day.

Her red gown at the Danish wedding did look splendid, I think that particular appearance, not only the gown, also perfect hair, makeup and jewels, is hard to beat not only by her, also by most of her royal colleagues. She was lucky that she didn't need to wear a sash or a tiara like other royal women, that often adds the stiffness to the appearance in general.
I think in general Caprile's clothes were very decent, might not be as fashionable as the Valentino coutures, but very appropriate for the royals. The 80's style Varela top & skirt only happened after she came back from the maternity leave of Sofia.

A couple of 'sparkling' appearances
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/8532/ingrid00019ihrd6wz0.jpg
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/5605/felipexi1wc6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish she could return to some of these appearances!!Some clothes are really nice,like the red/black skirt,the blue dress and the red top.By the way,I prefer Letizia with straight and not curly hair.

beautiful...
but could you tell me wiche among of the them is really more elegant than Cp Letizia ..?
eveningwear-wise?
nearly all of them...Maxima, Mary, Mathilde, Victoria...
they have a more "royal" look when it comes to eveningwear.

Lets stick to Letizia & keep away from the comparisons as much as possbile please guys!

marmi
RHoF Mod

Recycling is a good thing but why it must be exactly the same dress at exactly the same event over and over again is beyond me. Having said that, especially the green skirt and the red combo are so incredibly matronly that Letizia can still wear these outfits at the same events when she's 70, provided that the Spanish monarchy will make it that far.
There are obviously some events in the Spanish calendar, like Pascua Militar, that require a certain "type" of outfit that is more traditional and conservative. Having a new dressmade every year would be incrediby wasteful.
Duke of Marmalade said:
To all those who say that Letizia is the biggest money saver around, especially in times of economic downturn, by recycling her outfits to death I can only say that in the big picture, since her wedding, she's one of the greatest wasters, considering what her wardrobe used to consist of and that she recylced almost nothing of the tons of suits or shoes dating from the first three years.
It doesn't take a genius to work out that most of her early wardrobe was probably based solely on loans from designers. It's only more recent items that she uses regularly, which would suggest that those items are her own and not simply gifts from designers.
Due of Marmalade said:
And I wouldn't call buying dozens of new platform shoes in every imaginable colour exactly "saving money". If there is something a royal woman needs for representing her country at state events it's a decent new gala dress, not a vast collection of footwear that is supposed to be trendy.
Dozens? Moreover you forgot comfortable.....

There are obviously some events in the Spanish calendar, like Pascua Militar, that require a certain "type" of outfit that is more traditional and conservative. Having a new dressmade every year would be incrediby wasteful.
Like Mary initially everyone was counting the cost of every new outfit, forgetting that she was starting from scratch so to speak. In the years since her engagement she has amassed more than a few of that "certain type" dress. We only wish she would ring the changes a bit more often. Mix and match the dresses with the engagements if you will. :whistling:

Dozens? Moreover you forgot comfortable.....
Halt! Step away from the shoes! When you are a Crown Princess you are allowed a little obsession. Ahhh . . . . shoes, flat shoes, stilletto heeled shoes, platform soled shoes, shoes that look great, shoes that miss the mark, but above all . . . shoes that feel good! :in_love:

Like Mary initially everyone was counting the cost of every new outfit, forgetting that she was starting from scratch so to speak. In the years since her engagement she has amassed more than a few of that "certain type" dress. We only wish she would ring the changes a bit more often. Mix and match the dresses with the engagements if you will. :whistling:
Well most of her early wardrobe was suits. You can hardly mix and match a suit, that would just look odd.

Well most of her early wardrobe was suits. You can hardly mix and match a suit, that would just look odd.
I'm thinking about the gown she wore to Mary and Frederik's wedding, her own pre-wedding gown, and many more "first Tiara" type events. Many of them were absolutely stunning.

IMRIC she has worn the silver/grey pre-wedding gown several times and also the red gown with the broacade jacket she wore in Denmark.

Many of the earlier dresses were by Caprile and I think in all likelihood just loans.

IMRIC she has worn the silver/grey pre-wedding gown several times and also the red gown with the broacade jacket she wore in Denmark.

Many of the earlier dresses were by Caprile and I think in all likelihood just loans.

the grey / silver dress was worn twice, once as original (pre-wedding gala), than in an altered version eight months later on the occasion of a state visit. never seen again.

same goes for the red skirt, also worn twice (mary's pre-wedding gala and during a state visit two months later). never seen again, and that goes for so many pieces of letizia's wardrobe that were never recycled. whether she had to return gowns or suits to designers is pure speculation. caprile, who has given interviews on his designs for letizia in the past, has never indicated such an agreement, same goes for varela.

letizia's way of handling her wardrobe is at least strange or uninspiring, either recycling without the slightest variation, sometimes in a very short period of time, or wearing the same type of clothes in an obsessive way, like platforms or scarfs, as if she got stuck at a certain trunk every day, unable to get further down the closet or, if the loan theory is right, the designer will give her 50 pairs of platforms or 30 scarfs on the condition to return within the next two or three months and she makes the most of it.

still, it's strange that a princess has to deal with her wardrobe on such a level. well, whatever jc's guidelines on wardrobe are, there seems to be a special "as cheap as possible" restriction for letizia that doesn't apply to the other female members of the srf, but they are either a queen or "true" borbon.

What I don´t understand, if that is true that most of the early gowns were loans, why she doesn´t still borrow things for the big events? It´s not like there are that many Spanish galas... her mixing and matching of skirts and tops at these events is for the most part terrible...and ruins what may be otherwise a half-decent outfit...
I really loved this http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/76...F7A37F02F3BA580907115827B54C1591E7EC1A351FC8B

and think this should be her minimum standard for evening/gala events. Honestly, I wouldn´t care if she wore the same dress to every event (e.g at the Pascua Militar) as long as it was smart and she looked well.

Eireann,it's a beautiful gown,but you must have noticed how skinny her shoulders and arms look in it.The truth is that with this body type she doesn't have many choices.

why she doesn´t still borrow things for the big events? It´s not like there are that many Spanish galas... her mixing and matching of skirts and tops at these events is for the most part terrible...and ruins what may be otherwise a half-decent outfit...

i think she still borrows ... only that she doesn't borrow stunning caprile gowns anymore but ugly and cheap looking varela tops, to be matched with ugly and cheap looking skirts.

only one example:
http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/81...69679A269F9CCD5C4DE6BD716BA9DE30A760B0D811297

another one with a cheap looking top. the skirt is decent (caprile) but already worn to death, so i think it's safe to say that she owns it:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_bjeVPmM61...c/VTM_ZSNL9XU/s320/princess+letizia+ortiz.jpg

Based on Caprile's interviews, my impression was that Letizia bought all the clothes made by him. She recycled almost all the long gala gowns except for the red gown and the floral top in Denmark (the red skirt had been recycled). That's probably other reasons she decided not to recycle the red gown. Caprile mostly makes coutures and his clothes are not cheap, she probably doesn't have the budget to wear his clothes all the time. Caprile would have been an excellent designer for Letizia, even the classic grey suit he made for her last year was better than most of Varela's clothes.
Varela is another story. Most of Varela's clothes Letizia wore were available at the stores. It's very possible he loaned her samples of his new collection each year or gave her a big discount on the pieces she liked.

the grey / silver dress was worn twice, once as original (pre-wedding gala), than in an altered version eight months later on the occasion of a state visit. never seen again.

same goes for the red skirt, also worn twice (mary's pre-wedding gala and during a state visit two months later). never seen again, and that goes for so many pieces of letizia's wardrobe that were never recycled. whether she had to return gowns or suits to designers is pure speculation. caprile, who has given interviews on his designs for letizia in the past, has never indicated such an agreement, same goes for varela.
It would hardly be professional for him to do so. He's hardly likely to come out and make such a statement unless he has approval from the RF and considering the way the Spanish royal household operates they are unlikely to ever do so.

Duke of Marmalade said:
letizia's way of handling her wardrobe is at least strange or uninspiring, either recycling without the slightest variation, sometimes in a very short period of time, or wearing the same type of clothes in an obsessive way, like platforms or scarfs, as if she got stuck at a certain trunk every day, unable to get further down the closet or, if the loan theory is right, the designer will give her 50 pairs of platforms or 30 scarfs on the condition to return within the next two or three months and she makes the most of it.
Well considering unlike other princesses she doesn't have a Lady-in-Waiting or a stylist AND has the busiest agenda it's hardly a surprise if she doesn't spend as much time on her wardrobe.
[Duke of Marmalade]
still, it's strange that a princess has to deal with her wardrobe on such a level. well, whatever jc's guidelines on wardrobe are, there seems to be a special "as cheap as possible" restriction for letizia that doesn't apply to the other female members of the srf, but they are either a queen or "true" borbon.[/quote]
I agree it is strange.

But what is even stranger imo is the way people continue to condemn Letizia for this when it is appears to be omething she has no control over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom