Princess Letizia's Daytime Fashion Part 22: October 2011 - February 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm suprised varela price are expensive dress 2.350 euros, it' quite similaire to foreign designer as rouland mouret , mcqueen and more others

He is riding the coat tail of Letizia, before Letizia, he wasn't even a first rated designer in Spain before Letizia (he still isn't talent wise IMO). Since Letizia almost wore his clothes exclusively for the big occasions, why not triple price them ? He rarely had a problem of selling the exact copies Letizia wore no matter what price.

It was her MIL (Sofia) who suggested her to use a single designer to make life easier since she was not interested at clothes. The suggestion is a bad one for Letizia (Varela is no Armani) and the rest of Spanish designers. Sofia never received much press on her clothes herself, but Letizia has been a different story, it's not fair for other Spanish designers. I think that the 10 Spanish designers gifted her outfits a few years ago was a gesture of hoping her wearing their clothes, but unfortunately it didn't happen. Letizia has been doing a great job promoting the Spanish leather goods (shoes, purses), but clothes are too much Varela.

Duke, I don't think this outfit from Varela is cheap price wise. You can see a similar outfit (blue skirt, silver top, the same fabrics) on Varela's website for 2400 Euros. I think Letizia might get herself a white or silver top in the future, it will become a completely different outfit for a warmer weather.

http://www.felipevarela.com/

One thing I notice about Princess Letizia, is that she mixes textures very well. Also, I like how she and Prince Filipe coordinate their outfits so closely.

I don't like this outfit at all. It's just plain ugly IMO.

23/1/12 @ Manuel Fraga's funeral
http://img.irtve.es/imagenes/funeral-manuel-fraga-madrid/1327348064631.jpg

Varela's designs for Letizia can now be bought online from his website
Fotos Felipe Varela vende algunos de los diseos de Letizia

24-01-2012 Madrid Princess Letizia and Prince Felipe attended the reception for the ambassadors at the royal palace in Madrid.

Plain black skirt & a black/shiny/cheap looking material blouse with a zipper polo neck, open toe shoes :wacko:
For this event very disappointing, the outfit looks unelegant and plain, boring hair, no jewellery apart from the boring star earrings, what an ugly outing for such an event.

http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jan2012/PPE12012428.jpg
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jan2012/PPE12012448.jpg
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jan2012/PPE12012444.jpg

Beautiful lady and beautiful outfits. She is so natural, I love her so much :D

... [snipped] Duke, I don't think this outfit from Varela is cheap price wise. You can see a similar outfit (blue skirt, silver top, the same fabrics) on Varela's website for 2400 Euros. I think Letizia might get herself a white or silver top in the future, it will become a completely different outfit for a warmer weather.

:: FELIPE VARELA ::
The clothes by Varela are underwhelming. Given the advantages of having Crown Princess Letizia as a client, he could put more effort in articles of clothes she buys from his fashion house. It is unfortunate that Crown Princess Letizia can not buy dresses by Victoria Beckham or Roland Mouret. She would have looked nice in them.

Last edited:
The close up shots of Letizia allow you to see lurex woven into the fabric of the top but it fails to lift it from dull Gray and the zip is at odds with the occasion being more suited to street wear. The skirt looks mismatched with the skirt. The full length view does absolutely nothing for her. She looks flat, shapeless, and colourless.

No decent jewellery. An elegant pair of earrings (she has many), perhaps a nice necklace (of which she also has many), and her wedding ring at the very least.

I am amazed that normal human feminine ego or vanity would allow her to walk out the door looking so drab and colourless. Once again she looks like she couldn't care less and has gone out of her way to look like she's at a funeral!

Standing beside a Queen dressed for the occasion with a soft sage green gown and discreet but elegant jewellery, Letizia looks like the ubiquitous drab "Poor Relative/Companion" of a really bad historical novel!

I think she tried to look austere and discreet at this tough time, but overdid it. Also it's Varela's fault mainly since a black or a brown dress can also look very glam. I don't how how would a designer put these two pieces together for a diplomatic reception ?

I agree this dark and mismatched outfit does not do anything for Princess Letizia, if that was the objective, it was on target. One thing I have noticed about Letizia's style is that she appears to be very comfortable with both extremes, either very elegant or very austere.

I think she tried to look austere and discreet at this tough time, but overdid it. Also it's Varela's fault mainly since a black or a brown dress can also look very glam. I don't how how would a designer put these two pieces together for a diplomatic reception ?
[my bolding]
Perhaps he just complied with his client's wishes.

The close up shots of Letizia allow you to see lurex woven into the fabric of the top but it fails to lift it from dull Gray and the zip is at odds with the occasion being more suited to street wear. The skirt looks mismatched with the skirt. The full length view does absolutely nothing for her. She looks flat, shapeless, and colourless.

No decent jewellery. An elegant pair of earrings (she has many), perhaps a nice necklace (of which she also has many), and her wedding ring at the very least.

I am amazed that normal human feminine ego or vanity would allow her to walk out the door looking so drab and colourless. Once again she looks like she couldn't care less and has gone out of her way to look like she's at a funeral!

Standing beside a Queen dressed for the occasion with a soft sage green gown and discreet but elegant jewellery, Letizia looks like the ubiquitous drab "Poor Relative/Companion" of a really bad historical novel!

Couldn't agree more. Very strange outfit.

Varela designs clothes, he is not Letizia's personal dresser. What she pulls from her closet and puts together is pure Letizia. Good, bad or indifferent.

What she is wearing does not convey any hint of austerity and descretion, just plain poor taste.

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more, Marg. Well said..

Varela designs clothes, he is not Letizia's personal dresser. What she pulls from her closet and puts together is pure Letizia. Good, bad or indifferent.

What she is wearing does not convey any hint of austerity and descretion, just plain poor taste.

For the recycled clothes, she did pull them from her closet and put them together, but this is a new outfit, more likely just as the previous two years, she went to Varela and asked him to make an outfit for her for the diplomatic reception. I really doubt this idea of T-shirt (Varela also modified an old black dress from Caprile to a T-shirt and skirt before) or Polo-shirt style gala outfit was originated from Letizia. Sure she also agreed on the style, otherwise she wouldn't take the clothes home. Varela has benefited so much for being Letizia's solo designer, he could have put more effort. When Caprile made gowns for Letizia, almost each one had some stories behind it.

Last edited:
The skirt is ok, it should have been paired with a colourful blouse, plus hair up and some long earrings, that would have made a perfect look. In order to wear some decent jewellery Letizia doesnt have to look like a christmas tree but the star earrings are not up to scratch.

The blouse is plain ugly, how can somebody design an evening outfit with a zipper polo neck? I just cant see people running into the shop buying such an outfit.
http://www.divinity.es/wp-content/gallery/letizia-luto-peep-toe/gtres_u171486_011.jpg

Last edited:
The skirt has a lovely fit and cut to it but was poorly matched with a top that looks like a pullover sweater in a much lighter fabric. The whole look was way too dark. Letizia also failed to match the right shoes, open toe was a big no IMO. Effort was lacking in the hair department, a simple up do or pulled to the back would've made a big difference.

Are we looking at the same outfit??? Yes, something can be done with the hair, but at least it looked tidy and I love the skirt and the belt.

24-01-2012 Madrid Princess Letizia and Prince Felipe attended the reception for the ambassadors at the royal palace in Madrid.

Plain black skirt & a black/shiny/cheap looking material blouse with a zipper polo neck, open toe shoes :wacko:
For this event very disappointing, the outfit looks unelegant and plain, boring hair, no jewellery apart from the boring star earrings, what an ugly outing for such an event.

You read my mind Duke & expressed exactly what I was thinking :D

Not really liking the latest outfit. The two pieces don't really go together.

For the first time I noticed that her top has very small sequins on it. Sadly it did not photograph very well from a distance. But still lovely and very simple.

For the first time I noticed that her top has very small sequins on it. Sadly it did not photograph very well from a distance. But still lovely and very simple.
I don't mind it either. Letizia looked really decent although I'm not keen on the shoes at all.

I like the long skirt but not the top (well, maybe it didn't photograph well, as Parrothead said above). ;)

I did not like at all the T shirt, the shoes and the earrings. It is not even a case of bad taste, which I think can be excusable. It looks like it is a case of "I don't care" - again!.

I am not liking the outfit at all. Too dark and drab for my taste.

That is a very nice combination of colors; the rosy-pink is lovely on her. She looks very fresh and youthful.

Love the cardigan and the colour combination. I agree that it looks very youthful on her.

Very spring-time look. I love the shade of pink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom