Princess Letizia's Daytime Fashion Part 20: June 2011 - August 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: The problem is not how much her wardrobe costs or that Letizia is wearing ballerina shoes, short pants or cutoffs, it is where and when she is wearing them.

Letizia hit the very highest note of fashion and being an ambassador for her country when she attended CP Frederik's marriage to Mary. The colour, the style, her hair, jewellery, shoes, everything was absolutely perfect. So we know she is more than capable of presenting herself as a perfect Crown Princess with her own distinct style and class.

Letizia meeting the President of Roumania and his wife;

Letizia Takes Roumania: See What The Spanish Princess Stowed In Her Suitcase (PHOTOS)

So what is happening now? Is this what one wears when meeting a foreign Head of State?

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...espana-panama-recepcion-a-presidente-de-panam...

Or from this;

Letizia from 2004 at a Military Parade

Getty Images - Navegador no compatible detectado

to this?

9 July 2011, Letizia at at Basic Air Academy

HRH Letizia Princess of Asturias Message Board: July 9

We know that Letizia is a smart, intelligent woman and we know that she can really pull out all the stops to make a fashion statement. But what statement is she making now? Is she discontent with her life? The demands of being Crown Princess of Spain? Her in-laws? Her family? What on earth could make a savvy woman turn up to official engagements dressed like a graceless, petulant, bored, sulky child?

Something is going on with Letizia and until it is sorted we can all look forward to cultural cringe for the foreseeable future.

Letizia has just lost it! She wears pants and flats for military act and a shinny dress for an afternoon meeting. I think she dresses like my teenage daughter at times--she needs someone to advise her and soon! Either she is being rebellious and doing it on purpose or she does not know what's going on anymore. I don't care how much she spends a month. Even if you spend a fortune and don't know what you are buying, you won't look good. Like the new rich that wear whatever has a brand name even if it does not match. Something has happened with her sense of style. Someone please help her ASAP!!!

Letizia has just lost it! She wears pants and flats for military act and a shinny dress for an afternoon meeting. I think she dresses like my teenage daughter at times--she needs someone to advise her and soon! Either she is being rebellious and doing it on purpose or she does not know what's going on anymore. I don't care how much she spends a month. Even if you spend a fortune and don't know what you are buying, you won't look good. Like the new rich that wear whatever has a brand name even if it does not match. Something has happened with her sense of style. Someone please help her ASAP!!!

You could not say better!

Maybe is the teenage-middle age woman's syndrom!

Last edited:
Leti should also try Adolfo Dominguez's dresses and suits for more formal occassions, not always reserved them for Varela.

In general, she is not a big spender, probably spent the least money on clothes/accessories, but had the most activities yearly compared to other CPsses. She hardly wore any brand name pieces, even if they are brand names, they are the Spanish brands, not the top famous Italian/French brands.

Leti should also try Adolfo Dominguez's dresses and suits for more formal occassions, not always reserved them for Varela.

In general, she is not a big spender, probably spent the least money on clothes/accessories, but had the most activities yearly compared to other CPsses. She hardly wore any brand name pieces, even if they are brand names, they are the Spanish brands, not the top famous Italian/French brands.

500 euro on a pair of shoes makes her big spender in my book. But what's your point? I don't care how much or where she shops. She clearly has lost the ability to consistently assemble neat, appropriate clothing for her public life.

It appears from the number of posts that quite a lot of posters are thinking & saying the same about Letizia & her inappropriate dress sense.

Kate Middleton may not be a Crown Princess but I can see Letizia losing a lot of Royal Watchers/fans to the Duchess of Cambridge's camp. I know I'm switching off more & more when I see what the Princess of Asturias found at the end of her bed & threw on :D

500 euro on a pair of shoes makes her big spender in my book. But what's your point? I don't care how much or where she shops. She clearly has lost the ability to consistently assemble neat, appropriate clothing for her public life.

A pair of shoes of 500 Euros looks like to you a great expense... do you know the price of Louboutin, Jimmy Choo, Blahnik, Prada, Valentino, Chanel shoes? ... These brands are those that many European royals normally wear and a simple pair of shoes can have this price.

These ballerinas are expensive because they are special, they have hand-sewn crystals Swarovski. They are not anything that normally there would buy the princess of Asturias, who wears shoes from 60 € of Mango to 250 € of Magrit. A whim? A gift? Who knows?

A pair of shoes of 500 Euros looks like to you a great expense... do you know the price of Louboutin, Jimmy Choo, Blahnik, Prada, Valentino, Chanel shoes? ... These brands are those that many European royals normally wear and a simple pair of shoes can have this price.

And if you can afford the price, which all the European CPs can, these shoes seem to be a good investment; they are and can be reused over the years because of their more timeless elegance.
The brands Letizia seems to favour are time-typical, often too much, and will look even more out of place in a few years and will continually require replacement. At the end of it, that is a more expensive way to build up a functionable CP work wardrobe IMO.

The brands Letizia seems to favour are time-typical, often too much, and will look even more out of place in a few years and will continually require replacement. At the end of it, that is a more expensive way to build up a functionable CP work wardrobe IMO.

Exactly.

Letizia doesnt have a working basis wardrobe at all that could be used over decades (apart from some evening gowns).
Instead, she will buy/is given the latest average fashion incl shoes that she will wear to death without any strategy or reflection, before the stuff is given back or never seen again for other reasons.

I personally find it more economic - and that is the way Queen Sofia handles her wardrobe - to buy timeless pieces of good quality and above average price range that can be used/mixed and matched again and again and again, like the classical Varela suits or shift dresses of the earlier years.

UserDane, many royals follow also the fashion...peep-toes, platforms... she began, but later many have not escaped to the trends.

The majority of her shoes have a classic design, but they add a platform in the front part. It think it is not only a fashionable question, but also of comfort.

This is a fashionable and quite confortable way to look taller, as you can have 12-14 cm height. Without the plateforms it is impossible.

But the problem with Letizia is neither the style of he shoes, not their price. The problem, is that her way to dress is not adequate to her position and to each circumstance.
Have a look to the other Crown Princesses! Victoria, Mary, Mathilde, MMarit. They ALL have a style adequate, and they leave the extreme and trendy outfits for their private moments.

Her number of activities compared to other CPssess should have nothing to do with how sloppily she dresses.

It appears from the number of posts that quite a lot of posters are thinking & saying the same about Letizia & her inappropriate dress sense.

Kate Middleton may not be a Crown Princess but I can see Letizia losing a lot of Royal Watchers/fans to the Duchess of Cambridge's camp. I know I'm switching off more & more when I see what the Princess of Asturias found at the end of her bed & threw on :D

An Ard Ri.
You certainly are well within your rights to move to Kate M from Letizia. Each of us have different motivations for following the RFs. For you it is clothes, for me the interesting part is the activities and how the Spanish monarchy as well as Spain will transition in these interesting times. Letizia initially attracted me because of traits such as high intelligence, hard worker, tenacity etc as well as her uncommon, arresting beauty. I was also interested in finding out if the love between Felipe and Letizia would grow and prosper.

Yes, Letizia, in her effort to promote Spanish fashion, has let fashion dictate her image, rather than her image dictating the fashion she wore. The pendulum has swung too far in the designer's corner. She is not a fashion model, or a celeb whose job is to display the latest off the spanish catwalk.

Despite this, there are too many fascinating things going on her and Spain's trajectory for me to stop watching her

Last edited:
JJK, Letizia is not a fashion model or celeb; she is a future queen and her style is a reflection of what she thinks of the "activities" she promotes and the people she's is greeting. Most importantly, it's a relfection of what she thinks of her role as crown princess. Judging by her clothing choices, I'd say she has a pretty low opinion of that role. Again, this is not a choice this is her job. She's supposed to dress for the job she's taken. IF she's as intelligent and tenacious as you say then she know exactly what she's doing by showing up her events looking obsurdly out of place amongst her guests.

JJK, Letizia is not a fashion model or celeb; she is a future queen and her style is a reflection of what she thinks of the "activities" she promotes and the people she's is greeting. Most importantly, it's a relfection of what she thinks of her role as crown princess. Judging by her clothing choices, I'd say she has a pretty low opinion of that role. Again, this is not a choice this is her job. She's supposed to dress for the job she's taken. IF she's as intelligent and tenacious as you say then she know exactly what she's doing by showing up her events looking obsurdly out of place amongst her guests.

Right to ALL you said.
She is doing a lifejob, which she has accepted to do it! She was not born in, she entered!

For the first years, she showed respect, high opinion to her task, and intelligence.

But now, she looks absent, doing her job without heart, like an automate(!) and her body/dressing language shows a fed-up! IMO at least.

She showed in the past that she was able to understand the protocol/appropriate rules and to follow them.
And now ! opposition, rejection.

Last edited:
Right to ALL you said.
She is doing a lifejob, which she has accepted to do it! She was not born in, she entered!

For the first years, she showed respect, high opinion to her task, and intelligence.

But now, she looks absent, doing her job without heart, like an automate(!) and her body/dressing language shows a fed-up! IMO at least.

She showed in the past that she was able to understand the protocol/appropriate rules and to follow them.

If you care to look couple of previous pages, you will find that I have written in detail that I am disappointed in her clothing choices

There are two core issues here
1. Her clothing choice
2. Her interest in her job as crown princess.

I find that people are conflating the two. Sure there is some overlap between these 2 concepts, but not a 100% overlap as is being presented here. Poor clothing choice does not mean she is fed up in her role as princess.

If this was true then the following would also be true:

1. She has been not interested in doing her job since at least Sofia was born, because since then she has been wearing really bad, but trendy and hip, but sometimes ugly fashion. Witness her shapless short skirts, her ugly shoes etc.
  2. Other well dressed princesses, even someone like wife of Prince Nicolas of Greece, or other european princesses are more dedicated towards their role, are contributing more to the survival and flourishing of their monarchies.
But we know that this is not the case

1. There have been plenty of press reports of how people who meet the princess have been impressed by her preparedness of the event, the issues etc. If her clothes indicate that she is not interested in her job, then these statements would not have been made.
  2. Just the quality and quantity of events that Letizia does should show that she is far from not being interested in her role. We all know about the quantity. Just look at the quality for a second. Extremely few of her engagements are events that we traditionally associate with princesses - like patronizing the arts, the theatre etc. That is light events. Most of Letizia's events are heavy duty. Rarely does one see her at a musical event, a theater event etc. We see Queen Sofia there, but not Letizia.

Thus, presently, IMHO, the theory that she is not dressing well, hence has lost interest in her job, does not hold water. If other posters can provide datapoints that link her poor dress sense with poor assessment of her performance at her job, or even some datapoint that assesses her as doing her job poorly, I am all ears.

There is however plenty of evidence that she has decided to support Spanish fashion industry. In her desire to do so, she has really lost control and has become a fashion victim.

Ofcourse this is my opinion only. No offense intended:flowers::flowers:

jjkg, excellent post ! Lots of events she attended with Felipe don't belong to light social events, people used the snapshots taken during the speeches or parades saying her looking absent, sad or whatever, in fact her serious look has not been any different from her husband or people there.

And if you can afford the price, which all the European CPs can, these shoes seem to be a good investment; they are and can be reused over the years because of their more timeless elegance.

Zara and Mango are time-typical, you don't wear them pass 1 year or 2, plus you can buy about 40 pieces of Zara or Mango for one piece Prada. Most of her clothes from Varela (he is still the main designer) are classic pieces, in a way timeless, she still wore the suits she bought in 2007.
The ballerina with crystals belongs to the collectors' items. I find it more interesting than the Chanel flats (the same price or more expensive) every rich woman seems to have a pair. Regarding the platform shoes, she had been wearing them the last 3-4 years, the trend seems still continue, I'm sure she can wear them as long as she wants to, they are much less eccentric than Sonja's old ball gowns made 20 years ago. She doesn't have Elena's long feet to hold up steep heels very well, she might feel more comfortable wearing platforms that make the heels less steep.

Her number of activities compared to other CPssess should have nothing to do with how sloppily she dresses.

That's not the intend of my post. jjkg has said it better than me, I don't need to repeat it again here.

Last edited:

My point was exactly that she is not a celeb or a fashion model. I spelled it out in my post.

Basic issue is that Letizia has come across dressed badly because her clothing represents what is "in" this season. Unfortunately what is trendy nowadays is really horrible. Her intentions / her directive to support spanish fashion may be good. But it is coming at a cost to her image. She needs to dial it back ASAP. It is now starting to become a detriment to her image (at least in the royal forums population).

But clothes alone are not an indicator of how dedicated she is at her job. Wearing good clothes, being focused on clothes is the easiest thing to do when you have designers waiting for you call. It is much harder to actually prepare for the events, know the issues, the people and somehow help them network etc.

Bottom line for me is that she needs to start gaining control over her clothes and not wear what she is given by Mango/Zara etc. Clothes are the wrapping of a "Present/ a Package". No matter how good the Present is, if the wrapping is poor, Present does not attract attention, invites derision. Letizia needs to understand this and take appropriate action.

Letizia doesnt have a choice not to be interested in her job. When she married Felipe, Sofia will have told her that the phrase "I am not in the mood" can be deleted from her vocabulary for the rest of her life. This isnt Denmark, Norway or the Dutch but Spain, where the institution as a whole would be discussed very quicky given the right reasons.

However, I do believe that fashion choices do reflect what is on the individual's mind. After over seven years of marriage, Letizia may be over the enthusiastic vision she had when starting royal life and after being used to a thriving career its hard to come to terms with merely being a pretty accessory - exactly what she now refuses to be.

Last edited:
An Ard Ri.
You certainly are well within your rights to move to Kate M from Letizia. Each of us have different motivations for following the RFs. For you it is clothes, for me the interesting part is the activities and how the Spanish monarchy as well as Spain will transition in these interesting times. Letizia initially attracted me because of traits such as high intelligence, hard worker, tenacity etc as well as her uncommon, arresting beauty. I was also interested in finding out if the love between Felipe and Letizia would grow and prosper.

Yes, Letizia, in her effort to promote Spanish fashion, has let fashion dictate her image, rather than her image dictating the fashion she wore. The pendulum has swung too far in the designer's corner. She is not a fashion model, or a celeb whose job is to display the latest off the spanish catwalk.

Despite this, there are too many fascinating things going on her and Spain's trajectory for me to stop watching her

This is a discussion on Letizia's Daytime Fashion & not Letizia's merits/work.I've stated many times that I Letizia works quite hard on behalf of the Crown but her clothes often let her down thats all.

My interest in the Spanish Monarchy & Royal Family has nothing to do with Letizia,I followed them long before she came along ;)

Even though Letizia has decided to support Spanish fashion and sometimes make bad fashion mistakes, that doesn't mean that she can't dress appropriately for the events she's attending. I can cope with bad fashion mistakes, but not dressing inappropriately for the events she's taking part in. I'm sure there are very few people here who would have attended, e.g. the military events, dressed as casually as she did, esp with her husband in uniform. She could have found something more suitable, even in Mango or Zara.

This is a discussion on Letizia's Daytime Fashion & not Letizia's merits/work.I've stated many times that I Letizia works quite hard on behalf of the Crown but her clothes often let her down thats all.

My interest in the Spanish Monarchy & Royal Family has nothing to do with Letizia,I followed them long before she came along ;)

Thanks for the putdown!

I DO KNOW that this discussion is on Letizia's Daytime & Fashion. However I am not sure if you do when you made the following comment :
I

My response was to this sentiment which you have expressed in this post and several others.

If you raise this topic here, then I am quite within my rights to respond that while you think "a LOT" of royal watchers are leaving Letizia for Kate, there are many who are staying put because their motivations go beyond fashion.

Holier than thou attitude is not appreciated, especially when evidence to the contrary is right in your own posts

Last edited:
This is a fashion thread and if someone like Letizia who has dressed appropriately and attractively in the past decides not to bother any more then people may well spend more time on other "fashion" threads".

This has nothing to do with her worth as a charity worker, helper to her husband, worker for her country, mother of a royal heir (or just plain mother).

All these are covered in other appropriate threads. To dislike someone's fashion sense is not treason! Although to be honest, Letizia is a unique case as we all know she can knock their socks off if she so chooses.

Unfortunately most often she not only doesn't choose, but seems to be making an almost political statement by wearing totally inappropriate clothes. This is not a fashion statement but, as a future Queen, it is interesting.

Thanks for the putdown!

I DO KNOW that this discussion is on Letizia's Daytime & Fashion. However I am not sure if you do when you made the following comment :

My response was to this sentiment which you have expressed in this post and several others.

If you raise this topic here, then I am quite within my rights to respond that while you think "a LOT" of royal watchers are leaving Letizia for Kate, there are many who are staying put because their motivations go beyond fashion.

Holier than thou attitude is not appreciated, especially when evidence to the contrary is right in your own posts

It wasn't a putdown hence the use emoticon!

My comments were made in jest,so please lighten up otherwise the ignore button sounds like a safer option.

This is a fashion thread and if someone like Letizia who has dressed appropriately and attractively in the past decides not to bother any more then people may well spend more time on other "fashion" threads".

This has nothing to do with her worth as a charity worker, helper to her husband, worker for her country, mother of a royal heir (or just plain mother).

All these are covered in other appropriate threads. To dislike someone's fashion sense is not treason!

Thanks for the kind and well researched response.

Kindly note that nowhere have I or anyone berated others for disliking Letizia's fashion (we all appear to dislike it intensely, including yours truly), nor have I called their shift of attention TREASON.

All I did was pen one response to repeated postings of intent to abandon Letizia, and provide a counter narrative. However that appears to be NOT sitting well with posters here. What is good for the geese is not good for the gander. Rants on Letizia's fashion and mental state - all welcome. Any pushback unwelcome.

Before this degrades into a fight, I will leave the thread for a while.:flowers::flowers:

Edited to add
It wasn't a putdown hence the use emoticon!

My comments were made in jest,so please lighten up otherwise the ignore button sounds like a safer option.

Please do avail of the ignore option

Last edited:
Lets get back on topic and discuss Princess Letizia's fashion and
not compare her to other royals or discuss the Princesses work ethics in this thread.

Right to ALL you said.

I have seen your posts and I understand what you are saying, but the visual images I have of Leticia are perhaps not so grave. I have seen a few that were off or awkward but I think I have missed the worst of them. I don't mean to be lazy, but I would be grateful if you (or someone else) could send a few examples of her most offensive outfits. thank you very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom