Princess Letizia's Daytime Fashion Part 20: June 2011 - August 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am on the same page with many of you. I defended Letizia sometimes but it has become outrageous. It's like she is deliberately doing this, for what reason, I'm not sure. But it's not just her clothes, but as stated earlier, her attitude. Believe me, I know about getting older, I'm the same age as the Princess, but age is a number and you age, there's not a whole lot we can do about it, instead, it's what we do with it that matters.

Personally I wouldn't have worn what she wore to a military graduation. But if the Palace is ok with what she's been wearing lately, then I don't have a problem. I don't think her clothes are getting more attention, like someone has said.

At the end of the day it's what she's done not what she wore. She represents Spain & the Family she's married in and since the Palace is ok with it and the people of Spain are ok, then she's fine. She's not a celebrity or a model.

Honestly, I'm fine with what she's wearing. She looks appropriate, she's not dressed like Kim Kardashian. If she starts dressing like her, I would be speechless.

Last edited:
I have noticed that in a few occasions the Princess has been wearing some of the fashions by Mango (a Spanish company). Their line of clothing is modestly priced here in the USA. Below are a few photos, the dresses and skirts appear to be a good fit for young women and casual events. I applaud Letizia's efforts to promote local merchants.

Princess Letizia Wears Animal Print In Peru (PHOTOS)

I'm all for simplicity in fashion, but not simple to the point of casual. I'm old fashioned, but this outfit to a Naval graduation is too casual and out of place. It could be seen as being disrespectful to those being honored at the ceremony in that Letizia didn't feel it was important to dress accordingly for a semi-formal occasion. It's very disappointing.

Her look from head to toe is embarrassing at such an event. its way too casual, either make an effort in attending and representing he family or stay at home. These events are listed on the calendar days/weeks ahead therefore no excuse in outfits or in getting a new outfit that is appropriate.

The bag is cute but never for such an event, nice for a day out with the family or kids.

She usually wears her wedding ring on her right hand like most of Spaniards. Felipe wears his on his left hand.

I am on the same page with many of you. I defended Letizia sometimes but it has become outrageous. It's like she is deliberately doing this, for what reason, I'm not sure. But it's not just her clothes, but as stated earlier, her attitude. Believe me, I know about getting older, I'm the same age as the Princess, but age is a number and you age, there's not a whole lot we can do about it, instead, it's what we do with it that matters.

I doubt it's about the age, she is married with two kids. Sometimes she dressed too young (these days many older women wear minskirts, platforms including some famous politicians in Spain):flowers:, sometimes she dressed pretty old too, wore clothes only middle aged (or old) women would wear.
I think there is a serious economic crisis in Spain, she probably wants to dress down (or Zarzuela wants her to appear modest), sometimes she overdid it, such as the military graduations.
It seems she was dressing for another event today.
http://www.xunta.es/image/image_gallery?img_id=408905

Last edited:
I somehow get the feeling that the SRF has followed the papers and the reports of the Cambridge visit, about how the most important thing in those articles was what Catherine was wearing. The situation in Spain is difficult and the SRF hardly wants that the main thing of the princes of Asturias´s work would be Letizia´s clothes.
Felipe and Letizia represent the SRF. And if king Juan Carlos, queen Sofia and Felipe are satisfied with the way Letizia dresses, then it is fine for me.
Yesterday her outfit was casual, but everything fitted to each other.
Xunta

Long before Kate was in Canada Letizia wore inappropiate clothes to ceremonies. It has nothing to do with the way the press covers Kate's dressing during her visit to Canada.

And anyway but the result is ... everybody is speaking about the way Letizia is dressed, so it is counter productive. Her way to dress is not low key, it's exactly the contrary because it provoks such coments.

I somehow get the feeling that the SRF has followed the papers and the reports of the Cambridge visit, about how the most important thing in those articles was what Catherine was wearing. The situation in Spain is difficult and the SRF hardly wants that the main thing of the princes of Asturias´s work would be Letizia´s clothes.
Felipe and Letizia represent the SRF. And if king Juan Carlos, queen Sofia and Felipe are satisfied with the way Letizia dresses, then it is fine for me.
Yesterday her outfit was casual, but everything fitted to each other.
Xunta

I would disagree. Letizia is a working lady therefore a working person will know what is appropriate and what isn't especially if the have attended such event for the past few years. This is simply not a working outfit for someone in her position. Moreover, Letizia has dressed appropriate on many occasions as a newlywed and after that for a few years, therefore she does have a sense of what is right and not.

Nobody is saying that if she dresses in an appropriate outfit the press would be over it, nothing wrong with a suit, I don't care if its from mango or zara in this case but at least its a suit, simply what this event requires at least.

Letizia can simply recycle many of her lovely suits worn in the past years, even daytime dresses, those outfits were some of her best and I dont recall the press focusing on them except the Armani suit.

A few examples (only a few to the many great looks she has)
This suit ** this ** this ** this and this

Last edited:
I like the animal print dress with the beige cardigan she wore in Peru. She looked really fresh and summery!

Letizia looked really out of place next to Felipe in his white uniform. I wish she would finally stop attending official events being completely underdressed. The look itself was nice - but really very casual. A suit would have been a good choice - she could have recycled one of her many suits.

Letizia will always be her own woman. I never quite understand the need to put her in a pigeonhole.

She has her own style on the outside, and a very effective goal where it counts.

Letizia will always be her own woman. I never quite understand the need to put her in a pigeonhole.

She has her own style on the outside, and a very effective goal where it counts.

I wouldn't use the word 'style' where Letizia is concerned these days but thats my opinion & each to their own .

Letizia looked really out of place next to Felipe in his white uniform. I wish she would finally stop attending official events being completely underdressed. The look itself was nice - but really very casual. A suit would have been a good choice - she could have recycled one of her many suits.

I found this photo of Letizia from 2004 at a Military Parade

Getty Images - Navegador no compatible detectado

Look at the difference in her choice of clothing,has she thrown out all of her pressional outfits in a bid to appear more 'youthful' ?

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm my own woman but I work for a corporation and that corporation has a dress code that I must adhere to. Letizia can be her own woman all she wants but she has a job that has job requirements. Her "superior"" the Queen of Spain, has set a standard of appropriate manner of dress for such events. Letizia is not doing her "job" correctly IMO.

Last edited:

I'd agree if she was dressing the way she does now at the start of being a Crown Princess but thats not the case, she dressed so professionally, so Princess like for a few years and then went down the hill.

I'm my own woman but I work for a corporation and that corporation has a dress code that I must adhere to. Letizia can be her own woman ll she wants but she has a job that has job requirements. Her "superviser" the Queen of Spain, has set a standard of appropriate manner of dress for such events. Letizia is not doing her "job" correctly IMO.

She's not dressing suitably for the job in my opinion,she makes the effort ever now again.

I think she does work hard but her poor dress sense lets her down & attracts a lot of negativity.

She's not dressing suitably for the job in my opinion,she makes the effort ever now again.

I think she does work hard but her poor dress sense lets her down & attracts a lot of negativity.

Yes, if her goal was to focus attention toward things more important than wardrobe then she's missed her goal. Her fashion choices obliterate other things because they're noticeable for they're inappropriateness.

I too think she works hard (but she ain't a doing hard physical labor or a single mother trying to support children on her own) and is very beautiful. I don't dislike her; there aren't any royals that I dislike. In fact, I root for her and the SRF in these difficult financial times. England's Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother was able to lift a weary peoples' spirits with her lightness and beautiful clothing. She gave them something positive rather than companion their suffering. Whether people want to accept it or not clothing and fashion do have an impact on mood and, again, are a reflection of what's going on internally. I do think that could be a temporary rut...I've certainly had them. But, again, it's not my job to appear in public all the time.

Does she need supporters ? I thought that's what the Family is for?

I would disagree. Letizia is a working lady therefore a working person will know what is appropriate and what isn't especially if the have attended such event for the past few years. This is simply not a working outfit for someone in her position. Moreover, Letizia has dressed appropriate on many occasions as a newlywed and after that for a few years, therefore she does have a sense of what is right and not.

Nobody is saying that if she dresses in an appropriate outfit the press would be over it, nothing wrong with a suit, I don't care if its from mango or zara in this case but at least its a suit, simply what this event requires at least.

Letizia can simply recycle many of her lovely suits worn in the past years, even daytime dresses, those outfits were some of her best and I dont recall the press focusing on them except the Armani suit.

Thanks for posting these pics of Letizia from the past. Those were the days! Everything about her was different. Obviously her face has changed, but her entire demeanor has as well! She looked so confident and had a spark about her. Don't know if she had help picking her clothes in the beginning, but she certainly needs some now. Yes, Spain's economy is suffering. But to use that as an excuse for how she appears at the majority of the events she attends doesn't make sense when she is the only member of the SRF dressed the way she is.

Thanks for posting these pics of Letizia from the past. Those were the days! Everything about her was different. Obviously her face has changed, but her entire demeanor has as well! She looked so confident and had a spark about her. Don't know if she had help picking her clothes in the beginning, but she certainly needs some now. Yes, Spain's economy is suffering. But to use that as an excuse for how she appears at the majority of the events she attends doesn't make sense when she is the only member of the SRF dressed the way she is.

That was the Letizia that I use to follow,she was so confident,elegant & chic.

I agree with Emmily,thanks for posting those pictures :)

Yes, I was shocked to see Letizia's 'outfit' at the Academy ceremony. It was far to informal and casual for a special occasion. I live in Los Angeles and don't get to see many pictures of her, but that pink ensamble she wore to Will and Kate's marriage was beautiful and elegant. As a new member of Royal Forums, I'll be able to keep up with my favorite Royals. I'm pleased to see that Germany's Fredreich is getting married. I'm looking forward to seeing pics of their wedding.

That was the Letizia that I use to follow,she was so confident,elegant & chic.

I agree with Emmily,thanks for posting those pictures :)

Me too. I find her style choices very disappointing lately.

Those are all indeed beautiful and elegant outfits dazzling, but frankly Letizia has lost a considerable amount of weight from when she was dressing so beautifully.

I don't think those clothes fit her any more...which is a shame because she looked wonderful and healthy in those photos. :sad:

Yes, if her goal was to focus attention toward things more important than wardrobe then she's missed her goal. Her fashion choices obliterate other things because they're noticeable for they're inappropriateness.

I too think she works hard (but she ain't a doing hard physical labor or a single mother trying to support children on her own) and is very beautiful. I don't dislike her; there aren't any royals that I dislike. In fact, I root for her and the SRF in these difficult financial times. England's Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother was able to lift a weary peoples' spirits with her lightness and beautiful clothing. She gave them something positive rather than companion their suffering. Whether people want to accept it or not clothing and fashion do have an impact on mood and, again, are a reflection of what's going on internally. I do think that could be a temporary rut...I've certainly had them. But, again, it's not my job to appear in public all the time.

What works in one country might not work in another one. Spain and England are two different cultures (at least for royals) and can't be compared. If Letizia brought 30+ new outfits for a 9-day trip like kate, she would have been criticized endless even at good times.
So far no talk about her clothes in the media, perhaps her goal has been achieved. On the other hand, I definitely would like to see her dress better and throw away the suede jacket that has been worn a dozen times already.

I have to agree..she looks horrible, swede jacket, swede shoes in the middle of the summer time...also they are not even elegant they look horrible indeed!:ROFLMAO:

I have to agree..she looks horrible, swede jacket, swede shoes in the middle of the summer time...also they are not even elegant they look horrible indeed!:ROFLMAO:

I wouldn't say horrible but she looks out of place & not very regal looking.

Is Letizia afraid to wear a skirt or attempt to try & look feminine?

Not a fan of this 'Butch Ortiz' look myself :sad:

What works in one country might not work in another one. Spain and England are two different cultures (at least for royals) and can't be compared. If Letizia brought 30+ new outfits for a 9-day trip like kate, she would have been criticized endless even at good times.
So far no talk about her clothes in the media, perhaps her goal has been achieved. On the other hand, I definitely would like to see her dress better and throw away the suede jacket that has been worn a dozen times already.

Who's talking about buying new clothes? She already has tons of clothes and judging by the post above (by Moonmaiden) of the outfits she's worn to military ceremonies in the past she does or did know how to dress appropriately for the occasion she was attending. So she's lost a little weight; clothes can be taken in. That would go even farther in showing her people that she conscious of the economic situation but still respects the position she's in as Princess of Asturias. But hey maybe she's just not feeling well, or maybe she's pregnant again and can't be bothered because of morning sickness or maybe she's in a rut or is disinterested in doing the same engagements year after year. Regardless, I really want her to come out of her fashion funk.

Who's talking about buying new clothes? She already has tons of clothes and judging by the post above (by Moonmaiden) of the outfits she's worn to military ceremonies in the past she does or did know how to dress appropriately for the occasion she was attending. So she's lost a little weight; clothes can be taken in. That would go even farther in showing her people that she conscious of the economic situation but still respects the position she's in as Princess of Asturias. But hey maybe she's just not feeling well, or maybe she's pregnant again and can't be bothered because of morning sickness or maybe she's in a rut or is disinterested in doing the same engagements year after year. Regardless, I really want her to come out of her fashion funk.

Hear, hear dbarn67!

I'm in the same boat as you.

Catherine is a new bride and a new member of England's royal family. Naturally she needs to purchase clothing. Can you imagine the outcry if Catherine started showing up to engagements with her husband dressed like Letizia does? Letizia isn't a newlywed, and she has a large wardrobe she could easily pull from. She chooses not to.

If her goal is to show that being a member of a royal family isn't any different than the regular woman on the street, then why have royal families? Being part of a family like that is going to set you apart from everyone else. She look she presents is one that says, "Out of place."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom