The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 05:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Flat shoes are nice if she was on holidays...not with this suit! The suit is too tigh for her, she is thin, very very thin, but has managed to wear such tigh trousers and also the length are too short ...

Old 07-21-2011, 07:25 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaK View Post
I doubt that's enough. She and Felipe usually do thorough studies on the organizations/events, make sure the speech connects with the current society and people, reflect the issues, provide encouragement and inspiration, thus they have to be informed well on the current affairs and government policies although not making political policy.
In the big picture it may not be enough and I do think that Letizia is a clever woman but I am referring to what THE PUBLIC will see, the PUBLIC image. There can only be one in the PUBLIC image of a monarchy, Spain is no exception, the consort is there to back up & take in, look nice & neat, give birth to children, engage with charity etc etc, Sofia's role is no different.
It could well be that Felipe or other people will recognize what Letizia does behind closed doors every single day, but she is and has always been in her journalist career very much about public recognition & reassurance and that is not what she gets as consort to the heir of the Spanish throne, quite frustrating for a former career woman.

Quote:
Although royals are not doing heavy physical work, there is certain stress to be watched by hundreds of people at the events, photographed like being in a zoo, then you have to choose your clothes, do your hair and makeup with minimum help ....
Of course you are right but hey, thats everyday life of a female royal isnt it? Something Letizia either wasnt aware of or thought she could change with her intellectual assets but was proven wrong.

In the beginning, when Letizia was still idealistic about her role, she dressed nicely because she tried to be the perfect princess, fitting in everywhere she could and doing everything she was told. Since reality has sunk in, the effort has gone but I see her choice of clothing still as a statement, a rather worrying one though.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by biboquinhas View Post
Flat shoes are nice if she was on holidays...not with this suit! The suit is too tigh for her, she is thin, very very thin, but has managed to wear such tigh trousers and also the length are too short ...
Agree,the shoes didn't suit her outfit.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:11 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahla10 View Post
Excuse my harsh words but you can totally see that the pants are too tight around her bum .
The fit of these pants borders on vulgar. I don't know anything about tailoring, but I have tried on lots of clothes! The fit, IMO would have to be intentional- the center seam intentionally made small to ride up into her ... ... I'm not sure which word to use, so I'll leave it blank.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Junly 21, 2011 - Letizia in white pants, polka dot grayish top with a beige cardigan with lace insert in the back.

Her overall looks sloppy IMO. The cardigan is cute but could've been dressed up with a rich looking printed/colorful top that would match the overall look.
Pants and the polka dot top both look big on her.

Full view ** Back view
Old 07-21-2011, 10:15 AM
Heir Apparent

this photo tells everything about the outfit http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-stpUCTBt8Z...7zE20IEWwl.jpg
Old 07-21-2011, 10:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
Junly 21, 2011 - Letizia in white pants, polka dot grayish top with a beige cardigan with lace insert in the back.

Her overall looks sloppy IMO. The cardigan is cute but could've been dressed up with a rich looking printed/colorful top that would match the overall look.
Pants and the polka dot top both look big on her.

Full view ** Back view
Very nice!!

Surprisingly better than the last times!!
Old 07-21-2011, 10:33 AM
Courtier

I agree, in the past we did see her appropriately dressed for most occasions. Certain oufits were so chic and elegant. However, I do not know what has happened of late. She is such a lovely, lovely girl with quite a charming husband. I think everyone can have "off" days but Letizia is have just having too many of those right now.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:37 AM
Heir Apparent

The pieces combine to look wrong somehow. 3 disparate pieces just thrown together so no wonder she looks sloppy. The pant legs are too wide for her frame making her look like they don't fit; messy. The cardi is doesn't help either...the blouse and shoes are decent.

Is it common in the SRF for them to do 90% of their appearances together? It's lovely to see but don't they both have separate interests?
Old 07-21-2011, 12:36 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

It does look sloppy and it doesnt help that each piece is of bad quality, something I'd probably buy for a beach holiday at the rummage table.
http://1.1.1.4/bmi/www.ppe-agency.co...PE11072168.jpg

Again, I wouldnt say anything if the SRF was on a close-to-the-average-spaniard strategy (how can there be a strategy for one family member only anyway ), but Felipe is always, even without dress code among children etc, in very formal high-quality custom made suits & tie. He is actually the least casual CP among his peers, always accurate & well groomed (ok, he is not Charles but for me he is the runner-up in that department) and this is the approach that a royal should usually have.

His wife's outfits are in sharp contrast and no match at all. I dont believe somebody in casareal will tell Letizia what to wear, its rather a statement she makes since other options to get a message across are very limited.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:30 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post

His wife's outfits are in sharp contrast and no match at all. I dont believe somebody in casareal will tell Letizia what to wear, its rather a statement she makes since other options to get a message across are very limited.
Isn't this Dianaesque, where Diana used her clothing to send messages of her unhappiness with Charles and Camilla affair, wanting out etc?

I think this kind of "read" on Leti's clothes may be a bridge too far. For now. All indications are that her husband and girls dote on her. So it is less likely that she is going the Diana route.

Considering that Felipe, Sophia do not appear to mind her dress sense, my read is that :
  1. She has poor fashion sense. Her default is her suits she used to wear as journalist and during first few years of her marriage. Somewhere along, she got the advice to dress younger, hipper, not a younger version of Queen
    Sofia. This is not her default setting. So she has made some big blunders.
  2. Bad advice from her main designer - Varela and his assistants. He has been pushing his atrocious clothes on her. His interest is to sell his designs, not to maintain the image of monarchy. There is a conflict of interest here.
    Take for example this recent pant suit which is so tight. Assistants who fitted her with this suit must have known how bad it looks given Leti has a backside. But this conflicts with probably their main driver - to get the publicity from Leti wearing this creation of theirs.
  3. I also must add that I am really disappointed with current fashion trends - pants, shoes etc. When Leti started wearing those platform shoes, we all railed against her. Now they are everywhere.
She really needs a fashion adviser whose primary driver is projecting Leti's image, not that of the designer's image - whether it is Mango/Zara/Varela. Press may not have picked up her latest blunders, but if this keeps trend continues there will be raised voices.

If there is a message that she is sending with her clothing, my speculation is that she may be wanting to hire a fashion advisor, but the old foggies in the palace bureaucracy resisting it. If there is a message, it may be to get them to cave.

But this is all pulled out the air speculation. Leti needs help and palace needs to wake up and provide it.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkg View Post
Isn't this Dianaesque, where Diana used her clothing to send messages of her unhappiness with Charles and Camilla affair, wanting out etc?

I think this kind of "read" on Leti's clothes may be a bridge too far. For now. All indications are that her husband and girls dote on her. So it is less likely that she is going the Diana route.

Considering that Felipe, Sophia do not appear to mind her dress sense, my read is that :
  1. She has poor fashion sense. Her default is her suits she used to wear as journalist and during first few years of her marriage. Somewhere along, she got the advice to dress younger, hipper, not a younger version of Queen
    Sofia. This is not her default setting. So she has made some big blunders.
  2. Bad advice from her main designer - Varela and his assistants. He has been pushing his atrocious clothes on her. His interest is to sell his designs, not to maintain the image of monarchy. There is a conflict of interest here.
    Take for example this recent pant suit which is so tight. Assistants who fitted her with this suit must have known how bad it looks given Leti has a backside. But this conflicts with probably their main driver - to get the publicity from Leti wearing this creation of theirs.
  3. I also must add that I am really disappointed with current fashion trends - pants, shoes etc. When Leti started wearing those platform shoes, we all railed against her. Now they are everywhere.
She really needs a fashion adviser whose primary driver is projecting Leti's image, not that of the designer's image - whether it is Mango/Zara/Varela. Press may not have picked up her latest blunders, but if this keeps trend continues there will be raised voices.

If there is a message that she is sending with her clothing, my speculation is that she may be wanting to hire a fashion advisor, but the old foggies in the palace bureaucracy resisting it. If there is a message, it may be to get them to cave.

But this is all pulled out the air speculation. Leti needs help and palace needs to wake up and provide it.
I took a look back at her fashion choices all the way back to 2005. I was impressed some of the time but alot of the time she was just as clueless. Intermittently, there were true sartorial breakthoughs when she looks sublime. But for the most part she made some strange choice back then too. So I'm inclined to thing she has relatively poor taste.

I believe that how one presents oneself to the world is always a reflection of what's going internally. I don't ascribe that trait solely to Diana. But I do think Diana and Leti use their clothing consciously or unconsciously to send a message. But IMHO Diana was rarely so consistently inappropriate as Letizia has been recently. The "tourist" outfit at the military graduation was straight out disrespectful IMHO.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

The flats she wore yesterday are "Marilyn" from Pretty Ballerinas, with Swarovski crystals, cost 499 euros in Spain.
Letizia luce unas manoletinas de 500 euros | Divinity
Old 07-21-2011, 03:43 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn67 View Post
I took a look back at her fashion choices all the way back to 2005. I was impressed some of the time but alot of the time she was just as clueless. Intermittently, there were true sartorial breakthoughs when she looks sublime. But for the most part she made some strange choice back then too. So I'm inclined to thing she has relatively poor taste.

I believe that how one presents oneself to the world is always a reflection of what's going internally. I don't ascribe that trait solely to Diana. But I do think Diana and Leti use their clothing consciously or unconsciously to send a message. But IMHO Diana was rarely so consistently inappropriate as Letizia has been recently. The "tourist" outfit at the military graduation was straight out disrespectful IMHO.
More than the military graduation, the outfit she wore when she had lunch with the head of state of Panana - those ridiculous green pants -was the deal breaker for me. How could she be dressed like that to meet head of state?
Here is the pic:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-4EmhIVuaOZ...%2524599x0.jpg

More importantly, why are the King, Queen, Felipe silent when she was dressed so badly for a state occasion - lunch for a foreign head of state? For me, the answer to this question is critical.

I do not buy the argument from Duke that Palace wont say anything. They may not say anything if she was dressed conservatively, but poorly for a run-of-the-mill graduation ceremony (we have all heard how much the King did not want Leti to become a fashion icon, to focus on clothes etc) But they have to say something when she is dressed badly for a state occasion. For a royal family that is so very focused on strengthening their position in Spain, and makes so much effort to be seen helping Spain, it defies logic that they would let Leti's recent dress transgressions go unnoticed.

That is why I speculated that there may be a behind the scene battle going on for getting Leti some fashion help. It is clear that Leti has very poor fashion sense when she steps out of suits. And it is extremely clear that the fashion advice she is getting is horrendous and I repeat, more geared towards selling the latest concoction of the designer, and not on Leti's image.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:01 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
More than the military graduation, the outfit she wore when she had lunch with the head of state of Panana - those ridiculous green pants -was the deal breaker for me. How could she be dressed like that to meet head of state?
Here is the pic:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-4EmhIVuaOZ...%2524599x0.jpg

Until I saw this picture, I thought everyone was being overly dramatic about how "terrible" she looked.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:37 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
That is why I speculated that there may be a behind the scene battle going on for getting Leti some fashion help.
What help? She knew how to dress before and a couple of years into her marriage on a rather normal than expensive level and its not that difficult, really. If there is no time or interest to worry about fashion, its easy to dress simple & professional clothes that fit well into the budget. Its more about getting a basis wardrobe and somebody managing it, very similar to Queen Sofia, and less about budget or economy.

I find the idea absurd that casareal would tell Letizia how to dress. She is an adult who has been cut short on too many issues anyway, with a husband who could easily afford a different level of wardrobe on his own, Felipe might be dependant on his father but not to the degree that he has to beg for money to run his family life.

I still believe it is a statement, the last bastion of autonomy so to say, and its well possible that Felipe is silent because he has witnessed or is still witnessing the suffering of his wife whose life & character has been restricted in so many ways because of him and his inabilty to fight her corner against those who are in charge of the institution.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:29 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post

I find the idea absurd that casareal would tell Letizia how to dress. She is an adult who has been cut short on too many issues anyway, with a husband who could easily afford a different level of wardrobe on his own, Felipe might be dependant on his father but not to the degree that he has to beg for money to run his family life.

I still believe it is a statement, the last bastion of autonomy so to say, and its well possible that Felipe is silent because he has witnessed or is still witnessing the suffering of his wife whose life & character has been restricted in so many ways because of him and his inabilty to fight her corner against those who are in charge of the institution.
What I find extremely absurd is refusal to believe that Letizia, in all areas of her life, is on a leash. Sometimes the leash is very long to give the illusion of freedom - like your stance that she has absolute freedom in fashion, or short - like her public life.

The Spanish royal family and its protectors seems to go the extra mile to ensure nothing that could possibly impact the future of monarchy goes untended. Letizia playing host to the Panama head of state lunch in that absurd outfit crosses red lines. It directly impacts the image of warmth and welcome that the royal family and the State were aiming to project at the lunch. That outfit should throw up a flag for people concerned.

Secondly, you seem to be wedded to the notion that Letizia's clothing reflects her rebellion and her unhappiness with royal life and desire to escape her life.
I can buy that she is going through a bit of a down time, but given the obvious love that exists between the Felipe and her, and her noted trait of dedication, I find this notion hard to accept. Also, Letizia would not consciously do anything that would undermine her daughter's future.

If she works so hard behind the scenes to ensure she and Felipe are well prepared for the events they go to (even you acknowledge that), then how could that same Letizia undermine all her hard work by simple act of dressing badly for the event. It does not compute!

The notion that I am wedded to is the fact that she has poor dress sense when it comes to mixing "cool" and "current" with "conservative". She is getting false advice, has poor internal compass on these matters, and has gone off the tracks. Needs help.

But this is all neither here or there. We both are speculating based upon our own prejudices and opinions of Letizia and her personality. Bottom line is this problem needs to be nipped in the bud.

Cheers
Old 07-22-2011, 03:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think because of the financial crisis, she either was told or wanted to dress down a bit to look more like normal Spanish working women. I have seen many pictures of Cristina, Elena, Telma going to work, most of the times they didn't dress like when they were doing royal acts or presenting news, no better than Letizia now. But Letizia should know when to dress up a bit, for example, the military events. Also she loves pants, but unfortunately the pants are truely the weakness of Varela, Zara or Mango, that really let her down lots of times. If she wore knee length skirts instead of those pants the last couple of weeks, most would have much less issues on her clothes IMO.
jjkg, Letizia and Felipe were not the hosts for the President of Panama, they were only playing hosts for the CP of Spain, CP of Saudi, Charles and Camilla. She and Felipe were holding an audience with young leaders (college kids) before the lunch. I pretty much agree with what you have been saying.
Varela is such a bore, his clothes have always looked the same. This spring/summer, I haven't seen many new pieces from Varela (the blue suit was from 2 years ago), perhaps Letizia is also bored with his designs.
I also think she needs to get a stylist (get rid of Varela) as Zapatero's wife Sonsoles who looks modern and stylish.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:55 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaK View Post
Varela is such a bore, his clothes have always looked the same. This spring/summer, I haven't seen many new pieces from Varela (the blue suit was from 2 years ago), perhaps Letizia is also bored with his designs.
I am by no means a fan of Varela but some of his designs are perfectly fine and suitable for the occasion, Letizia only needs to pick the right outfits, with or without help. When looking at other royal ladies, it doesnt take rocket science to figure out how to dress, simple & professional with a decent quality is enough.

I apologize in case I am wrong but I believe this suit is by Varela, one of the few new pieces lately, a great look for Letizia:
http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/P...eWVx9MAh8l.jpg
Some of Varela's shift dresses look very nice too.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:01 AM
Heir Apparent

I think we should NOT talk about crisis anymore, related to Letizia's choices!!!!!

When she buys flats at 500 euros, to appear like a rich young student, she crosses the line of no excuse!!!

Her choice of outfits is absolutely conscient, and has NOTHING to do with money, it is JUST bad taste, rejection of protocol and revolution, a like "I wear WHAT I want, and noone can say anything"

Someone in a prevous thread asked how the Casa Real and Felipe do not say anything! They might say, she does what she wants.

Closed Thread