Princess Letizia's Daytime Fashion Part 20: June 2011 - August 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love that red dress.She looks beautiful in red.

I thought she looked beautiful. There's a clarity to her eyes and face that exudes grace. I imagine she feels greatness at every precious place where I find her to be smiling. Lovely hair. I loved the color of her style. It makes me feel sensational so much.

She looks better than she has in the past few weeks, months...but the dress is not appropriate for a daytime event. It has been said already that it is way too short for a person in her position as CP but also as a woman her age. The length would be perfect for her to go out at night with her husband to a private party. Also, it is okay to wear pants, but for some odd reason, the pants she wears seem to be suctioned by her body and make her look vulgar and inappropriate. She needs to look in her closet and get the outfits that she used to wear a couple of years ago--also someone needs to tell her to stop putting her sleeves up...not good!!

It is such a shame.. Letizia seems to always miss getting it "just right". Just when you think she has it..ooops! it is too short, too casual, too flimsy, and on ad nauseum. Fingers crossed that one day she will hit perfection! :)

Well, it is what it is--she is not tweny anymore so the look is not appropriate not only for her age but because of who she is. Too casual yes, she was way casual at the military events; too flimsy, yes, you don't want her to have another Marilyn Monroe mishap; the color is beautiful, but she needs to put effort to look good. She seems upset, disconnected with her reality, sad, and not enjoying what she is supposed to do for her country. She used to look great always, but she does not seem to care much anymore. Yes, let's keep our fingers crossed for next time, not for perfection but for an ounce of common sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well said, Roxsteve. I could not have put it better. Letizia, perfection? Only in my dreams, sadly.

It is such a shame.. Letizia seems to always miss getting it "just right". Just when you think she has it..ooops! it is too short, too casual, too flimsy, and on ad nauseum. Fingers crossed that one day she will hit perfection! :)
I know it seems mean and maybe petty but a woman in Letizia's position is in the public eye and people will make judgements, perhaps unfair, based on how she looks.

But Letizia has been doing this "job" for long enough to have it down pat. She's walked the walk and looked great! In all honesty I find I didn't actually like many of her outfits but probably thousands of others did. More importantly, they were appropriate for the engagement. Now she seems to find it an effort to even arrive and when she does, more often than not, not only is she is not dressed for the occasion, she looks like she grabbed something from the wardrobe in the dark, the colours and styles a mishmash that defies description.

Her last outfit, red/pink/orange, depending on the light, was more suited to a private cocktail party and was far too short for a woman of her age and position. It was however, a vast improvement on her last few outings. The less said about the Military Graduation the better and here's hoping the next visiting Head of State will be greeted by a charming, elegant and chic Crown Princess, who looks like she is actually enjoying the occasion.

I say I hope she wears what she wants to wear. She used to wear suits a lot and posters complained that suits were boring. She changed and her style is unpredictable and we still complain.

7 years ago, some of Varela's suits did look a bit old for her age just as some think Kate's clothes are too old. Now she is about 40, those suits would look better now than before IMO. I have never liked cardis for an official event (Michelle O is not a good example to follow), especially when it's paired with pants, the whole look tends to be too casual.

Well, it is what it is--she is not tweny anymore so the look is not appropriate not only for her age but because of who she is. Too casual yes, she was way casual at the military events; too flimsy, yes, you don't want her to have another Marilyn Monroe mishap; the color is beautiful, but she needs to put effort to look good. She seems upset, disconnected with her reality, sad, and not enjoying what she is supposed to do for her country. She used to look great always, but she does not seem to care much anymore. Yes, let's keep our fingers crossed for next time, not for perfection but for an ounce of common sense.

Yes, the dress is filmsy, but she is thin and petite enough to pull it off IMO.
The event was less formal, men didn't even wear a tie, that was not often in Spain. You don't have to like her clothes, but no need to use clothes to attack her role, she looked happy and prepared for the event as she usually did. Anne terrible cloths and styles, Maxima usually over the top with messy hair and terrible makeup, nobody used it to attack them personally.

Well said, Roxsteve. I could not have put it better. Letizia, perfection? Only in my dreams, sadly.

Nobody is perfect anyway. Even one finds it perfect, someone else might find a fault, doesn't it make a whole royal watching entertaining ?

Last edited:
Of course Princess Letizia cannot be perfect for everyone but when the majority seams to think that she is not wearing the right clothes all the time...whe can assume that she is really not perfect at all!

The dress seems to be out of proportion. If it were longer it would be more balanced.

7 years ago, some of Varela's suits did look a bit old for her age just as some think Kate's clothes are too old. Now she is about 40, those suits would look better now than before IMO. I have never liked cardis for an official event (Michelle O is not a good example to follow), especially when it's paired with pants, the whole look tends to be too casual.

Yes, the dress is filmsy, but she is thin and petite enough to pull it off IMO.
The event was less formal, men didn't even wear a tie, that was not often in Spain. You don't have to like her clothes, but no need to use clothes to attack her role, she looked happy and prepared for the event as she usually did. Anne terrible cloths and styles, Maxima usually over the top with messy hair and terrible makeup, nobody used it to attack them personally.

Nobody is perfect anyway. Even one finds it perfect, someone else might find a fault, doesn't it make a whole royal watching entertaining ?

Completely agree that she should return to the suits she wore in the early days. As you say, some of them were too old for her at that age, but they wouldn't be now. Too often she dresses in clothing that would look better on someone 10 years her junior.

She is certainly thin enough to wear the red dress in question, but not as far as length goes. Letizia is a beautiful woman, but she needs to start covering her legs up:) This isn't an attack on Letizia! No one expects perfection from her, but it would be nice to see some effort on her part

No one is attacking Letizia's role through her clothes...she is doing it herself. It is unacceptable to attend a military ceremony dressed like you are going to the grocery store afterwards. It is an insult to the institution whether you are a princess or not, and if you are a princess, then you should be extra careful about your looks. No one wants to be mean, but she is doing it to herself--maybe she is being rebelious, maybe she is tired of her role as CP, maybe she is not in the mood, but the Queen always look "perfect" because she loves her country that much....

No one is attacking Letizia's role through her clothes...she is doing it herself. It is unacceptable to attend a military ceremony dressed like you are going to the grocery store afterwards. It is an insult to the institution whether you are a princess or not, and if you are a princess, then you should be extra careful about your looks. No one wants to be mean, but she is doing it to herself--maybe she is being rebelious, maybe she is tired of her role as CP, maybe she is not in the mood, but the Queen always look "perfect" because she loves her country that much....
I completely agree. It's a matter of respect, for oneself, for the ceremony/occasion, for your family and for your country. No one is perfect and all you can do is your best, but she doesn't seem to be even trying.

You just did, although not directly. I don't think 'clothes' and 'whether you love your country or not' are co-related. I have known people who always dress well only think about themselves (I'm not talking about Sofia here) or vice versa, plus fashion is subjective with various tastes. Letizia is a Spanish woman, I doubt she loves Spain any less than the rest of the SRF unless you have any proof she doesn't.
Clothes are important, but there is no need for such an exaggeration, as if she has involved in any sort of corruption LOL.

Last edited:
Zara has pants of similar style. The pants are a bit too long (maybe her heels were not high enough this time), not a very good quality, thus probably doesn't photograph well from certain ankles, but overall it's not that bad (I have seen worse pants on others), probably looks better in person.

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/7779/119490758.jpg
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/5776/119490751.jpg
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/5083/119490828.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/--yC9wWr41...AAS4U/wMZbooIcnwU/s1600/15381033790_cD3P7.jpg

How does she act when she wears these outfits- are her speech and mannerisms normal? Does she address people formally and act as she should, or do the casual clothes come with a casual bearing as well? Does she act self conscious or like she is being "bad" or rebellious, or does she seem oblivious?

Does the press comment on this, or is it not mentioned? When I see photos of Letizia's fashions here (like on HuffingtonPost.com), they only show the high points, and ignore any "off" days. Could it be that she is unaware of this controversy?

Sorry for so many questions!

How does she act when she wears these outfits- are her speech and mannerisms normal? Does she address people formally and act as she should, or do the casual clothes come with a casual bearing as well? Does she act self conscious or like she is being "bad" or rebellious, or does she seem oblivious?

Does the press comment on this, or is it not mentioned? When I see photos of Letizia's fashions here (like on HuffingtonPost.com), they only show the high points, and ignore any "off" days. Could it be that she is unaware of this controversy?

Normal acts, normal behaviors, I haven't heard of any 'controversy' except on the internet forums/websites. Media has been more interested at the summer vacation in Mallorca than the clothes she wore lately.
I'm not sure if Letizia has been aware of it or not, that's why I asked An Ard Ri to write a letter to Zarzuela :).

Last edited:
Just came from visiting the posts at the Hola website and the good majority seems to be OK with her choice of dress, only a handful not. This last dress (red) being discussed does not seem to be appropriate for the function, nor the style, or color and don't even want to talk about the length which does not even look good on her. I wonder if she gets any feedback from the higher ups, there has to be a protocol after all. Well, then it seems she has not been told to do anything different. I am quite surprised. If we see it, how is it that others don't. I hope she gets to enjoy her vacation in Mallorca, and perhaps she'll come back saturated of the Summer styles and return to being her old self.

Can some of you add a photo of Princess Letizia's wedding shoes (I know that someone added it,but I can't r open it).I would be very thankful.

Article in El Mundo with critical comments on Letizia's dress style when attending military event, apparently not everybody involved likes her style what doesnt come to any surprise, even on TRF hardly anyone has been fond of Letizia's appearances lately.
La princesa y los militares

Letizia appears to have 'toned down' her style, for what reason, I don't know. She sometimes looks like she is popping out for coffee with the girls, when it would be more appropriate to dress up a bit. Others seem to make the effort. IMO:)

I really like this dress and it suits the occasion. Letizia dresses much better for non-official events. She as fantastic casual style. Plus I love that she matches her daughters's tops...so cute. Also, I love the sandals.

I really like this dress and it suits the occasion. Letizia dresses much better for non-official events. She as fantastic casual style. Plus I love that she matches her daughters's tops...so cute. Also, I love the sandals.

I do too. It looks like it would be so cool to wear in the summer heat.

She has indeed, monic! She looks happy and just lovely in all of her pics. AND... for an added bonus, a Real kiss!!! There is hope.. :)

I like this dress and Letizia looks so relaxed and happy, as if the weight of the world has been taken off her shoulders. A lot of times when she's on this summer holiday, she has wore some really great ensembles even if they're casual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom