The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmily View Post
Thanks for posting these pics of Letizia from the past. Those were the days! Everything about her was different. Obviously her face has changed, but her entire demeanor has as well! She looked so confident and had a spark about her. Don't know if she had help picking her clothes in the beginning, but she certainly needs some now. Yes, Spain's economy is suffering. But to use that as an excuse for how she appears at the majority of the events she attends doesn't make sense when she is the only member of the SRF dressed the way she is.
That was the Letizia that I use to follow,she was so confident,elegant & chic.

I agree with Emmily,thanks for posting those pictures

Old 07-17-2011, 03:05 PM
Commoner

Yes, I was shocked to see Letizia's 'outfit' at the Academy ceremony. It was far to informal and casual for a special occasion. I live in Los Angeles and don't get to see many pictures of her, but that pink ensamble she wore to Will and Kate's marriage was beautiful and elegant. As a new member of Royal Forums, I'll be able to keep up with my favorite Royals. I'm pleased to see that Germany's Fredreich is getting married. I'm looking forward to seeing pics of their wedding.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:24 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
That was the Letizia that I use to follow,she was so confident,elegant & chic.

I agree with Emmily,thanks for posting those pictures

Me too. I find her style choices very disappointing lately.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
I would disagree. Letizia is a working lady therefore a working person will know what is appropriate and what isn't especially if the have attended such event for the past few years. This is simply not a working outfit for someone in her position. Moreover, Letizia has dressed appropriate on many occasions as a newlywed and after that for a few years, therefore she does have a sense of what is right and not.

Nobody is saying that if she dresses in an appropriate outfit the press would be over it, nothing wrong with a suit, I don't care if its from mango or zara in this case but at least its a suit, simply what this event requires at least.

Letizia can simply recycle many of her lovely suits worn in the past years, even daytime dresses, those outfits were some of her best and I dont recall the press focusing on them except the Armani suit.

A few examples (only a few to the many great looks she has)
This suit ** this ** this ** this and this
Those are all indeed beautiful and elegant outfits dazzling, but frankly Letizia has lost a considerable amount of weight from when she was dressing so beautifully.

I don't think those clothes fit her any more...which is a shame because she looked wonderful and healthy in those photos.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn67 View Post
Yes, if her goal was to focus attention toward things more important than wardrobe then she's missed her goal. Her fashion choices obliterate other things because they're noticeable for they're inappropriateness.

I too think she works hard (but she ain't a doing hard physical labor or a single mother trying to support children on her own) and is very beautiful. I don't dislike her; there aren't any royals that I dislike. In fact, I root for her and the SRF in these difficult financial times. England's Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother was able to lift a weary peoples' spirits with her lightness and beautiful clothing. She gave them something positive rather than companion their suffering. Whether people want to accept it or not clothing and fashion do have an impact on mood and, again, are a reflection of what's going on internally. I do think that could be a temporary rut...I've certainly had them. But, again, it's not my job to appear in public all the time.
What works in one country might not work in another one. Spain and England are two different cultures (at least for royals) and can't be compared. If Letizia brought 30+ new outfits for a 9-day trip like kate, she would have been criticized endless even at good times.
So far no talk about her clothes in the media, perhaps her goal has been achieved. On the other hand, I definitely would like to see her dress better and throw away the suede jacket that has been worn a dozen times already.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

I have to agree..she looks horrible, swede jacket, swede shoes in the middle of the summer time...also they are not even elegant they look horrible indeed!
Old 07-18-2011, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by biboquinhas View Post
I have to agree..she looks horrible, swede jacket, swede shoes in the middle of the summer time...also they are not even elegant they look horrible indeed!
I wouldn't say horrible but she looks out of place & not very regal looking.

Is Letizia afraid to wear a skirt or attempt to try & look feminine?

Not a fan of this 'Butch Ortiz' look myself
Old 07-18-2011, 08:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaK View Post
What works in one country might not work in another one. Spain and England are two different cultures (at least for royals) and can't be compared. If Letizia brought 30+ new outfits for a 9-day trip like kate, she would have been criticized endless even at good times.
So far no talk about her clothes in the media, perhaps her goal has been achieved. On the other hand, I definitely would like to see her dress better and throw away the suede jacket that has been worn a dozen times already.
Who's talking about buying new clothes? She already has tons of clothes and judging by the post above (by Moonmaiden) of the outfits she's worn to military ceremonies in the past she does or did know how to dress appropriately for the occasion she was attending. So she's lost a little weight; clothes can be taken in. That would go even farther in showing her people that she conscious of the economic situation but still respects the position she's in as Princess of Asturias. But hey maybe she's just not feeling well, or maybe she's pregnant again and can't be bothered because of morning sickness or maybe she's in a rut or is disinterested in doing the same engagements year after year. Regardless, I really want her to come out of her fashion funk.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Who's talking about buying new clothes? She already has tons of clothes and judging by the post above (by Moonmaiden) of the outfits she's worn to military ceremonies in the past she does or did know how to dress appropriately for the occasion she was attending. So she's lost a little weight; clothes can be taken in. That would go even farther in showing her people that she conscious of the economic situation but still respects the position she's in as Princess of Asturias. But hey maybe she's just not feeling well, or maybe she's pregnant again and can't be bothered because of morning sickness or maybe she's in a rut or is disinterested in doing the same engagements year after year. Regardless, I really want her to come out of her fashion funk.
Hear, hear dbarn67!

I'm in the same boat as you.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:40 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaK View Post
Catherine is a new bride and a new member of England's royal family. Naturally she needs to purchase clothing. Can you imagine the outcry if Catherine started showing up to engagements with her husband dressed like Letizia does? Letizia isn't a newlywed, and she has a large wardrobe she could easily pull from. She chooses not to.

If her goal is to show that being a member of a royal family isn't any different than the regular woman on the street, then why have royal families? Being part of a family like that is going to set you apart from everyone else. She look she presents is one that says, "Out of place."
Old 07-18-2011, 12:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

There would be no outcries if any of the CP's or Catherine showed up at an event looking sloppy. I've yet to see or hear of protestors outside any of the palaces that the CP's live because of how sloppy they looked at an event. There would be more outcries if any of the CP's showed up at every event in brand new outfits (designer or not) as they would be seen as frivolous and out of touch.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Pam View Post
There would be no outcries if any of the CP's or Catherine showed up at an event looking sloppy. I've yet to see or hear of protestors outside any of the palaces that the CP's live because of how sloppy they looked at an event. There would be more outcries if any of the CP's showed up at every event in brand new outfits (designer or not) as they would be seen as frivolous and out of touch.
I don't know about outcries but there sure as heck would be comment if Catherine Cambridge showed looking sloppy over a period of time. And why does our discussion have to translate to "protesters outside...palaces"? The fact that we're discussing it means that more the 1 or 2 people notice a trend. The alternative isn't protests it's disinterest and that can be more of a problem than protests. Also and again, no one is saying anything about new clothing. She a many beautiful outfits in her closet; more than likely vast amounts of beautiful dresses and suits from past engagements. Even if she has lost weight, on a woman of her dimunitive frame that translates to not more than 5 or so pounds tops. What she has can be tailored to her smaller frame.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I don't know about outcries but there sure as heck would be comment if Catherine Cambridge showed looking sloppy over a period of time. And why does our discussion have to translate to "protesters outside...palaces"? That face that we're discussing it means that more the 1 or 2 people notice a trend. The alternative isn't protests it's disinterest and that can be more of a problem than protests. Also and again, no one is saying anything about new clothing. She a many beautiful outfits in her closet; more than likely vast amounts of beautiful dresses and suits from past engagements. Even if she has lost weight, on a woman of her dimunitive frame that translates to not more than 5 or so pounds tops. What she has can be tailored to her smaller frame.
Agree with you 100% dbarn67.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:34 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Pam View Post
Bad choice of words on my part, but I really didn't mean (or think I was saying) that there would be protests. No, there wouldn't be, but there would be a lot of attention and speculation.

No one is asking Letizia to go out and spend, spend, spend. How about making use of the nice clothing she has already?
Old 07-18-2011, 06:28 PM
Courtier

I find that purse so interesting because of its fastening, which is made of a large agate disc, tinted in pink.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:06 PM
Aristocracy

I second the theme of extremes. When Letizia's recent poor choice of outfits are criticized, it it WRONG to assume that message is that she should go buy designer gear. The message is "appropriate dress, that respects the occasion, the dignitaries" involved.

It is also not the question of "royalty". It is the question of DIGNITARY. Key test is if she was not royalty and plain "special dignitary" to the occasion - lets say a public official invited as a chief guest- how would she have dressed? Does she fit within this norm?

The obvious answer is NO. For example, the recent visit by President of Panama and his wife. She should have dressed at par with the other ladies, i.e. the queen and the first lady. By at par, I am not talking about designer label or the price. But the style of the dress. She was dressed horribly in those ridiculous pants. Even an attendant lowly official would have not dressed in this manner. It is equivalent to Prince Felipe showing up in jeans. (Letizia did not show up in jeans but you get my drift on "price" versus "dress code/style" with this example).

I am a huge Letizia fan. But she really needs to pay attention to her clothes such that they are occasion appropriate. No one wants her to be a clothes horse. But there is something called respecting one's position, the people who are hosting you, as well as you are hosting.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:16 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkg View Post
I second the theme of extremes. When Letizia's recent poor choice of outfits are criticized, it it WRONG to assume that message is that she should go buy designer gear. The message is "appropriate dress, that respects the occasion, the dignitaries" involved.

It is also not the question of "royalty". It is the question of DIGNITARY. Key test is if she was not royalty and plain "special dignitary" to the occasion - lets say a public official invited as a chief guest- how would she have dressed? Does she fit within this norm?

The obvious answer is NO. For example, the recent visit by President of Panama and his wife. She should have dressed at par with the other ladies, i.e. the queen and the first lady. By at par, I am not talking about designer label or the price. But the style of the dress. She was dressed horribly in those ridiculous pants. Even an attendant lowly official would have not dressed in this manner. It is equivalent to Prince Felipe showing up in jeans. (Letizia did not show up in jeans but you get my drift on "price" versus "dress code/style" with this example).

I am a huge Letizia fan. But she really needs to pay attention to her clothes such that they are occasion appropriate. No one wants her to be a clothes horse. But there is something called respecting one's position, the people who are hosting you, as well as you are hosting.
I could not agree more with your above statements.

Yes, Spain is going through very tough economic times, but most of Europe are too. We're not asking her to buy designer label clothing, but her dress at formal and important events is disgraceful. She was a professional woman in her past life; she knows how professional woman need to look. When the first lady of a country, who isn't particularly from a wealthy nation, dresses better than the host Crown Princess, this sends the wrong message to everyone.

Yes, she could be rebelling or "doesn't feel like dressing up anymore", but you know what? She signed up for this life of being a public person. She knew exactly what she was going to get herself into. If I were her husband, I'd be saying something to her, because at the end of the day, she is representing the Royal family, Spain and the Spanish fashion industry. Look at CP Mary, Princess Marie, CP Victoria. They all wear clothes designed from their respective country-person. Could you imagine them wearing hideous clothing, like what CP Letizia has been, day in and day out? I think not.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincessJava View Post

Yes, Spain is going through very tough economic times, but most of Europe are too. We're not asking her to buy designer label clothing, but her dress at formal and important events is disgraceful. She was a professional woman in her past life; she knows how professional woman need to look. When the first lady of a country, who isn't particularly from a wealthy nation, dresses better than the host Crown Princess, this sends the wrong message to everyone.

Yes, she could be rebelling or "doesn't feel like dressing up anymore", but you know what? She signed up for this life of being a public person. She knew exactly what she was going to get herself into. If I were her husband, I'd be saying something to her, because at the end of the day, she is representing the Royal family, Spain and the Spanish fashion industry. Look at CP Mary, Princess Marie, CP Victoria. They all wear clothes designed from their respective country-person. Could you imagine them wearing hideous clothing, like what CP Letizia has been, day in and day out? I think not.
Well said
Old 07-19-2011, 08:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincessJava View Post

Perfectly said! You expressed the whole matter!!
Sometime I hope that she/something from her cabinet, reads all these words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrianna View Post
I'm all for simplicity in fashion, but not simple to the point of casual. I'm old fashioned, but this outfit to a Naval graduation is too casual and out of place. It could be seen as being disrespectful to those being honored at the ceremony in that Letizia didn't feel it was important to dress accordingly for a semi-formal occasion. It's very disappointing.
YES, you are right. I do not understand what she is thinking!

Military parades are very serious event!. I noticed that in Spain, especially in the Pasqua Militar, they dress very very officially.
I remember also, when Letizia gave her first speech alone, in a military occasion, she was wearing black long dress and mantilla!!
And now, with her husband present and in full apparate, she dresses like going out having coffee with friends at the nearest mall!
I do not understand what in her mind! And do not tell me that is question of price! Zara (spanish brand!) has pleinty of adequate outfits.
And at least, she is the future Queen of Spain! We do not expect her to be dressed in rugs!
Old 07-19-2011, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
YES, you are right. I do not understand what she is thinking!

Military parades are very serious event!. I noticed that in Spain, especially in the Pasqua Militar, they dress very very officially.
I remember also, when Letizia gave her first speech alone, in a military occasion, she was wearing black long dress and mantilla!!
And now, with her husband present and in full apparate, she dresses like going out having coffee with friends at the nearest mall!
I do not understand what in her mind! And do not tell me that is question of price! Zara (spanish brand!) has pleinty of adequate outfits.
And at least, she is the future Queen of Spain! We do not expect her to be dressed in rugs!
I'm thinking either she's depressed or just can't be bothered anymore.