The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lallyvee View Post
I don't think it looks thrown together or inappropriate.
That's your opinion,mine differs & that's fine.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:05 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lallyvee View Post
I don't think it looks thrown together or inappropriate.
I'm as usual in the minority but agree with you. She doesn't look that bad. Besides, clothes do not make the man, but that's not the thread to make statements like this.

Thank you.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:15 PM
Nobility

i agree with ZOnk.

Princess Letizia dresses too casually when all around her people have made more of an effort. And she can look stunning when she is more 'professionally' dressed. That dress she wore to meet the French president and his wife comes to mind. She looked fantastic.

as someone pointed out, if she dresses and acts like one of us, why do we need princesses? She doesn't need to turn up in hats and gloves, just a more professional look; her husband always does.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Again, I think you are missing the general point, and I am not sure how I can make it any clearer.

Letizia has a job, she is the Princess of Austrias and its her job to represent Spain at home and abroad. She should dress like she is working.

Would you respect a business person who came to your place of business to sell their product, if they came dressed casually...in a pair of slacks, a top and a sweater? Would you hire someone for a job if they did the same (unless its a place with a casual atompshere like Facebook or an internet start up).

You might, but I wouldn't and I let tell you why. Because they didn't think my business or my time was important enough that they didn't dress appropriately in business attire. They could have delivered the best presentation, their company could have the best product, etc. but it would make me question their professionalism, etc.

All this that the people in Spain dont' care what their royal family wears is probably true. But as Susanna Wynne said...its all about perception especially at a time when governments are teetering on the brink. If royalty acts and dresses just like you and me...why do we need them?

That's all I am going to say on the matter. I am not a Letizia basher, if you look at my posts I don't just come here to spill dislike on Letizia or what she wears. I would say the same thing in any forum...its objectivity. Yes, there is the problem when royals become the clothes horse but there is a happy balance. And Letizia in her casual clothes at royal engagements is not it.

What she said...ITA except I don't have a problem if they become clothes horses. IMO it's apart of their job to put their best foot foward and advertise that royalyt is something special and different from regular life.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
at least she doesnt turn up with fringy hair, looking ungroomed in a sloppy outfit what is highly disrespectful to the audience who was overall dressed much more appropriate.
I don't think Cristina was too well groomed either. Although she didn't wear casual sweaters, her suit outfits were often frumpy, hair stingy, bad makeup, her weed eyebrows never plucked. But this was another topic, I was replying whether the infantas were stylish or not, the answer is definitely 'NO'. Somehow I thought Letizia got sloppy (she was always perfectly groomed when she was a news anchor, more so than most of her colleagues) because the Borbon women (minus Sofia) were sloppy, although they might be sloppy in different ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Dull as Cristina's suits may have been they On the contrary I think Elena looks far more elegant & stylish post Jamie!

Letizia can get it right sometimes.
I thought mostly Elena was back to square one in terms of fashoin post Jaime, of course she still got many old nice outfits to wear, occasionally bought a few nice new pieces (then who doesn't do that ?). Look at her last couple of outfits, I don't think Jaime would let her walk out of the door with a pair of hideous red pants or an odd sweater over a turtleneck, plus a pink belt .
Old 03-14-2011, 05:15 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Well said Zonk. I think Letizia is trying to be the down to earth girl when dressing up for events which she simply is not. I wonder what happened to her very well tailored suits and outfits at the beginning of her marriage, im sure they can be recycled.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
Well said Zonk. I think Letizia is trying to be the down to earth girl when dressing up for events which she simply is not. I wonder what happened to her very well tailored suits and outfits at the beginning of her marriage, im sure they can be recycled.
Well said both of you!

The Princess had a very impressive wardrobe back then,I wonder where she's hiding them.

Maybe she no longer wants to be a fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaK View Post

I thought mostly Elena was back to square one in terms of fashoin post Jaime, of course she still got many old nice outfits to wear, occasionally bought a few nice new pieces (then who doesn't do that ?). Look at her last couple of outfits, I don't think Jaime would let her walk out of the door with a pair of hideous red pants or an odd sweater over a turtleneck, plus a pink belt .
I didn't see anything wrong with any of her recent outfits,I agree the red trousers were hideous & I hope she burnt them

Again thats my opinion,I rank Elena above Letizia in terms of appropriate dress sense.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:44 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I'm wondering about it too. She has got nice style in the past, very professional, with nice suits and dresses. Now CP Letizia often looks inappropriate for the events, wearing short dresses, ugly platforms and the same clothes all the times, like she doesn't care.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:33 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Somehow I thought Letizia got sloppy (she was always perfectly groomed when she was a news anchor, more so than most of her colleagues) because the Borbon women (minus Sofia) were sloppy, although they might be sloppy in different ways.
Sorry but I cant follow you. Yes, Letizia was perfectly groomed as a news anchor and lets say about 3-4 years into her marriage.

So after years of marriage she all of a sudden became sloppy because the Borbon women were sloppy? Who? Elena? Cristina? Both might have a bad day as everybody has but not to Letizia's extent who has been standing out - especially notable when representing with the whole family - with the wrong outfits and lack of hairdo even at top events for months.

As a royal, you simply dont forget to wash or comb your hair or put absolutely no effort into your appearance, wear inappropriate clothes because the whole point of being there is showing respect towards the audience, representing the institution. And at least to me, Letizia still has issues with this role and the way it is limited by casareal, it clashes with her character what must be very exhausting what reflects in her overall appearance.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Duke, Letizia had 5 events last week, she didn't comb her hair nicely for one event on Friday, dressed too casually, could you also consider it just a bad day since Cristina or Elena only had 20+ events each the whole last year.
On the other hand, I agree that Elena and Cristina (especially) made more effort at the family events, Letizia didn't, but maybe there were other reasons behind it. But if you look at Cristina's own events, she normally looked quite frumpy and dull, plenty of days with bad hair over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agami.pearl View Post
I'm wondering about it too. She has got nice style in the past, very professional, with nice suits and dresses. Now CP Letizia often looks inappropriate for the events, wearing short dresses, ugly platforms and the same clothes all the times, like she doesn't care.
I agree with dazzling. I saw many older famous women (for example politicians) in their 50s or 60s still wore short skirts, platforms, ankle boots.
Maybe there is some culture difference between a royal and a normal woman, so Letizia wants to be more like a normal woman, especially under the current economic crisis.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:40 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Duke, Letizia had 5 events last week, she didn't comb her hair nicely for one event on Friday, dressed too casually, could you also consider it just a bad day since Cristina or Elena only had 20+ events each the whole last year.
Wow, she had 5 events last week, one of them being an audience = showing up for 1 hour or so. Professional business women work 5 or 6 days a week, 8, 10 hours or more, combing their hair and dressing nicely out of respect for their job and the company they work for, day in day out, goes without saying.

Everybody has bad days, thats not the issue, but Letizia has had a lot of them in recent months while at the same time having access to hairdressers etc. but simply not bothering.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Wow, she had 5 events last week, one of them being an audience = showing up for 1 hour or so. Professional business women work 5 or 6 days a week, 8, 10 hours or more, combing their hair and dressing nicely out of respect for their job and the company they work for, day in day out, goes without saying.

Everybody has bad days, thats not the issue, but Letizia has had a lot of them in recent months while at the same time having access to hairdressers etc. but simply not bothering.
And thats exactly what it looks like (well to me anyhow) that Letizia can't be bothered.

Surely she could wear a blazer or a smarter looking jacket instead of one of those dreadful cardigans that look like they shrunk in the Palace washing machine.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

Duke, that's not the point, the point was that if the infantas had 20+ events each year, could have bad hair days (probably less now than the old days when they did 70+ events each year), why not Letizia have 1 out of 5 ?
Now the corporate dressing style has become much more relaxed than before, many professional women have bad hair days, also including a casual day on Friday .

We don't know if she had access to the hairdresseres all the time or not. From what I read, she did her hair mostly on her own (I think she did a pretty good job overall). If the hairdresser comes free from Zarzuela, why not bothering using them ?
Old 03-14-2011, 06:06 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Duke, that's not the point, the point was that if the infantas had 20+ events each year, could have bad hair days (probably less now than the old days when they did 70+ events each year), why not Letizia have 1 out of 5 ?
Now the corporate dressing style has become much more relaxed than before, many professional women have bad hair days, also including a casual day on Friday .

We don't know if she had access to the hairdresseres all the time or not. From what I read, she did her hair mostly on her own (I think she did a pretty good job overall). If the hairdresser comes free from Zarzuela, why not bothering using them ?
I guess we should agree to disagree
Old 03-14-2011, 08:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
She probably read the comments from forum members on how boring her well tailored suits were.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:36 PM
Administrator

I liked the suits but that is just me. If its not Letizia that is fine. I personally like her dresses and platform shoes but I realize that not everyone does and that they are not the perfect fit for every occassion.

My issue is that when they are not the fit her other alternative looks like something she just picked off the floor and put on and walked out the door.

Here's a question (and you don't need to answer because it might throw the thread off track). If you were someone who was honored with an award and an important official (the Governor, Mayor, President, Senator or whatever) was going to be there to see you get the award. Heck they might even hand it to you, so there would be pictures. What would you do? I bet you would get dressed up for such as occassion? What if they showed up looking kind of sloppy..what would you think?

That you weren't important or the award was? You might even think...why did I bother to get dressed up or show up?

That's what I think about some of Letitiza's casual clothes. She doesn't have to look like a clothes horse, or dress like Mathilde (who always looks right about 75% of the time). She can certainly show her personality and be edgy. Just look like you cared about your position, who you were representing, etc. And sometimes she just doesn't.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:32 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuchu View Post
She probably read the comments from forum members on how boring her well tailored suits were.
If that is the case I would be disappointed as she does not take advice anymore when the press states how awful her outfit is (remember the long shorts & the matching jacket) the press were all over that. At least when some thought they were boring they were elegant & professional at least IMO
Old 03-15-2011, 07:19 AM
Commoner

i actually dont think the press has been 'all over that'. i am wondering if anyone in spain actually writes about her fashion the way we do.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:42 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Maybe she no longer wants to be a fashion icon
I think there's a more glamorous fashion female icon among the contemporary royals so we shouldn't care too much about Letizia's part in this field. It's up to Spanish royals & Philipe if they will all put up with Letizia's "hideous" appearances or not.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by monic View Post
I think there's a more glamorous fashion female icon among the contemporary royals so we shouldn't care too much about Letizia's part in this field. It's up to Spanish royals & Philipe if they will all put up with Letizia's "hideous" appearances or not.
If I don't like what the Princess wears & deem it unsuitable or shabby I will continue to post so

We are all entitled to voice our opinions in a constructive manner

Closed Thread