Princess Letizia's Daytime Fashion Part 18: February 2011 - April 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Her hair is very flat, the Mango sweater is too casual, perhaps she thought she was meeting the university students in blue jeans. It's always easy for Felipe, all he did was wearing the same style taylored suits again and again, even his Daddy was more stylish than him sometimes.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/02QEcVdbFhakI/x610.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0fts3KJ9Cn7iF/610x.jpg

It shouldn't be that difficult for her to find out who she is meeting with? Everyone else in attendance seemed to know what the dress code would be.

Her hair is very flat, the Mango sweater is too casual, perhaps she thought she was meeting the university students in blue jeans. It's always easy for Felipe, all he did was wearing the same style taylored suits again and again, even his Daddy was more stylish than him sometimes.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/02QEcVdbFhakI/x610.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0fts3KJ9Cn7iF/610x.jpg

what's that?Every time I watch her outfits here I believe I see the same stuff over and over again?:ROFLMAO: recycling precious couture is one thing but such a lousy cardigan?

It shouldn't be that difficult for her to find out who she is meeting with? Everyone else in attendance seemed to know what the dress code would be.

I was joking that she thought she was meeting teeangers in jeans, of course she knew whom she was going to meet, normally they did the background check on the people they were going to meet. I don't know why she dressed so badly today, normally she dressed much better meeting foregin guests.

I think it's time she starts mixing some outfits when recycling. She couldve easily matched those lovely pants with a different top & a jacket or a different cardigan which does not look like it belongs to one of her daughters.
It gets very boring when she recycles the same, make me think she does not have an imagination of mixing looks when recycling.

Too casual when the men are wearing nice suits and the women are dressed up for a day ceremony. It's really looking insulting when Letizia doesn't take the time to dress for the ceremony.

Even if the sweater looks too small I like that she added some color to the outfit.

It gets very boring when she recycles the same, make me think she does not have an imagination of mixing looks when recycling.

I don't think it has anything to do with the imagination or not, since she hadn't even tried mostly. Clothes are more like uniforms for her (IMO) except for a few big events, for example, the PoA awards. This attitude can change a bit, dressing well is actually a positive thing whether you are interested at the clothes or not.

I know its unfair to compare Letizia fashion sense to either of her sister in laws,but I cannot imagine either Elena or Cristina turning up for an audience at the Palace looking so casual.

Both Elena & Cristina are far more stylish in my opinion,even the Infanta Pilar makes an effort when they bring her out!

I know its unfair to compare Letizia fashion sense to either of her sister in laws,but I cannot imagine either Elena or Cristina turning up for an audience at the Palace looking so casual.

Both Elena & Cristina are far more stylish in my opinion,even the Infanta Pilar makes an effort when they bring her out!

Cristina was seldom stylish, usually wore her dull grey/black suits, Elena has been much more stylish than her sister, but she is less now with Jaime gone.
Letizia should stop wearing clothes from Zara or Mango, let alone recyled them a dozen times, since she really didn't know how to pick the right pieces from those cheap brands.

Cristina was seldom stylish, usually wore her dull grey/black suits, Elena has been much more stylish than her sister, but she is less now with Jaime gone.
Letizia should stop wearing clothes from Zara or Mango, let alone recyled them a dozen times, since she really didn't know how to pick the right pieces from those cheap brands.

Dull as Cristina's suits may have been they were far more appropriate for audiences at the Palace or Official engagements .

On the contrary I think Elena looks far more elegant & stylish post Jamie!

Letizia can get it right sometimes.

Cristina was seldom stylish, usually wore her dull grey/black suits,

at least she doesnt turn up with fringy hair, looking ungroomed in a sloppy outfit what is highly disrespectful to the audience who was overall dressed much more appropriate.

at least she doesnt turn up with fringy hair, looking ungroomed in a sloppy outfit what is highly disrespectful to the audience who was overall dressed much more appropriate.

I often wonder what The King & Queen think when they see what the Princess wore,or perhaps it doesn't bother them.

You know, when Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother was criticized for wearing her best (and pearls) during the bombing of London during WWII (she and the King would go to the bombs sites and meet the people), she rightly stated that (and I am paraphrasing here) that if people were coming to visit her, they would wear their best so she was doing the same thing. It should be noted that she was never (in my opinion at least) over the top with what she wore. It was always a nice suit (or dress), a hat, gloves and pearls. I realize that times are a different and people don't wear gloves and hats all the time unless it is a special occassion, but you get the point.

In some instances, Letizia would be wise to follow the same sentiment. This isn't casual Friday's at the job...if her husband and other people can put in a little effort to dress a little more professional, so can she.

People are much more casual today than they were during WWII.

I think you are missing the point.

Yes, people are much more casual now than WWII. The point is that Letizia on some occassions puts no effort into her clothes. The look she she wore is something that one would wear on Casual Fridays at work where you can pretty much wear anything except jeans and shorts to work.

She is a Princess this is her job. I don't expect her to wear a hat, gloves, an evening dress and/or tiara. But a nice business suit, or a nice dress.

My point with the Queen Elizabeth reference is people are getting dressed up (putting on their best) to see her (and Felipe, and others)....surely its not out of character her to put a little effort into her clothes. Instead of looking like she just rolled out of bed, and pulled clothes off the floor, put them on and walked out the door.

People get dressed up to come see HER can she do the same?

Last edited:
Yes, Lallyvee, people are more casual today, but Letitzia pushes the envelope. And I think that Zonk's sentiments are right on point: it's a matter of having a sense of place and proportion. Royalty works at the will of the people, and everything a crown princess does will be seen in the light of whether she respects her job and her people. In this world, nothing can be taken for granted.

I don't think the average Spanish person pays all that much attention to what royalty wears. She's not wearing holey blue jeans.

She can have her own crown princess style. She doesn't have to dress like the others.

Again, I think you are missing the general point, and I am not sure how I can make it any clearer.

Letizia has a job, she is the Princess of Austrias and its her job to represent Spain at home and abroad. She should dress like she is working.

Would you respect a business person who came to your place of business to sell their product, if they came dressed casually...in a pair of slacks, a top and a sweater? Would you hire someone for a job if they did the same (unless its a place with a casual atompshere like Facebook or an internet start up).

You might, but I wouldn't and I let tell you why. Because they didn't think my business or my time was important enough that they didn't dress appropriately in business attire. They could have delivered the best presentation, their company could have the best product, etc. but it would make me question their professionalism, etc.

All this that the people in Spain dont' care what their royal family wears is probably true. But as Susanna Wynne said...its all about perception especially at a time when governments are teetering on the brink. If royalty acts and dresses just like you and me...why do we need them?

That's all I am going to say on the matter. I am not a Letizia basher, if you look at my posts I don't just come here to spill dislike on Letizia or what she wears. I would say the same thing in any forum...its objectivity. Yes, there is the problem when royals become the clothes horse but there is a happy balance. And Letizia in her casual clothes at royal engagements is not it.

Again, I think you are missing the general point, and I am not sure how I can make it any clearer.

Letizia has a job, she is the Princess of Austrias and its her job to represent Spain at home and abroad. She should dress like she is working.

Would you respect a business person who came to your place of business to sell their product, if they came dressed casually...in a pair of slacks, a top and a sweater? Would you hire someone for a job if they did the same (unless its a place with a casual atompshere like Facebook or an internet start up).

You might, but I wouldn't and I let tell you why. Because they didn't think my business or my time was important enough that they didn't dress appropriately in business attire. They could have delivered the best presentation, their company could have the best product, etc. but it would make me question their professionalism, etc.

All this that the people in Spain dont' care what their royal family wears is probably true. But as Susanna Wynne said...its all about perception especially at a time when governments are teetering on the brink. If royalty acts and dresses just like you and me...why do we need them?

That's all I am going to say on the matter. I am not a Letizia basher, if you look at my posts I don't just come here to spill dislike on Letizia or what she wears. I would say the same thing in any forum...its objectivity. Yes, there is the problem when royals become the clothes horse but there is a happy balance. And Letizia in her casual clothes at royal engagements is not it.

I agree with you,Letizia is represnting the Spanish Crown & thus should wear more appropriate clothing

I quite like Letizia,I just don't don't like her unregal dress code .She can get it right sometimes,but sadly of late she hasn't .Attending official audiences looking like she threw on the nearest outfit she could find is not good in my opinion.

Again its all down to personal opinions,some like her understated look & others don't,I respect everyones opinion.

I don't think it looks thrown together or inappropriate.

I don't think it looks thrown together or inappropriate.
I'm as usual in the minority but agree with you. She doesn't look that bad. Besides, clothes do not make the man, but that's not the thread to make statements like this.

Thank you.

i agree with ZOnk.

Princess Letizia dresses too casually when all around her people have made more of an effort. And she can look stunning when she is more 'professionally' dressed. That dress she wore to meet the French president and his wife comes to mind. She looked fantastic.

as someone pointed out, if she dresses and acts like one of us, why do we need princesses? She doesn't need to turn up in hats and gloves, just a more professional look; her husband always does.

What she said...ITA except I don't have a problem if they become clothes horses. IMO it's apart of their job to put their best foot foward and advertise that royalyt is something special and different from regular life.

Last edited:

I don't think Cristina was too well groomed either. Although she didn't wear casual sweaters, her suit outfits were often frumpy, hair stingy, bad makeup, her weed eyebrows never plucked. But this was another topic, I was replying whether the infantas were stylish or not, the answer is definitely 'NO'. Somehow I thought Letizia got sloppy (she was always perfectly groomed when she was a news anchor, more so than most of her colleagues) because the Borbon women (minus Sofia) were sloppy, although they might be sloppy in different ways.

Dull as Cristina's suits may have been they On the contrary I think Elena looks far more elegant & stylish post Jamie!

Letizia can get it right sometimes.

I thought mostly Elena was back to square one in terms of fashoin post Jaime, of course she still got many old nice outfits to wear, occasionally bought a few nice new pieces (then who doesn't do that ?). Look at her last couple of outfits, I don't think Jaime would let her walk out of the door with a pair of hideous red pants or an odd sweater over a turtleneck, plus a pink belt :cool:.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well said Zonk. I think Letizia is trying to be the down to earth girl when dressing up for events which she simply is not. I wonder what happened to her very well tailored suits and outfits at the beginning of her marriage, im sure they can be recycled.

Well said Zonk. I think Letizia is trying to be the down to earth girl when dressing up for events which she simply is not. I wonder what happened to her very well tailored suits and outfits at the beginning of her marriage, im sure they can be recycled.

Well said both of you!

The Princess had a very impressive wardrobe back then,I wonder where she's hiding them.

Maybe she no longer wants to be a fashion icon ;)

I thought mostly Elena was back to square one in terms of fashoin post Jaime, of course she still got many old nice outfits to wear, occasionally bought a few nice new pieces (then who doesn't do that ?). Look at her last couple of outfits, I don't think Jaime would let her walk out of the door with a pair of hideous red pants or an odd sweater over a turtleneck, plus a pink belt :cool:.

I didn't see anything wrong with any of her recent outfits,I agree the red trousers were hideous & I hope she burnt them :D

Again thats my opinion,I rank Elena above Letizia in terms of appropriate dress sense.

I'm wondering about it too. She has got nice style in the past, very professional, with nice suits and dresses. Now CP Letizia often looks inappropriate for the events, wearing short dresses, ugly platforms and the same clothes all the times, like she doesn't care.

Somehow I thought Letizia got sloppy (she was always perfectly groomed when she was a news anchor, more so than most of her colleagues) because the Borbon women (minus Sofia) were sloppy, although they might be sloppy in different ways.

Sorry but I cant follow you. Yes, Letizia was perfectly groomed as a news anchor and lets say about 3-4 years into her marriage.

So after years of marriage she all of a sudden became sloppy because the Borbon women were sloppy? Who? Elena? Cristina? Both might have a bad day as everybody has but not to Letizia's extent who has been standing out - especially notable when representing with the whole family - with the wrong outfits and lack of hairdo even at top events for months.

As a royal, you simply dont forget to wash or comb your hair or put absolutely no effort into your appearance, wear inappropriate clothes because the whole point of being there is showing respect towards the audience, representing the institution. And at least to me, Letizia still has issues with this role and the way it is limited by casareal, it clashes with her character what must be very exhausting what reflects in her overall appearance.

Duke, Letizia had 5 events last week, she didn't comb her hair nicely for one event on Friday, dressed too casually, could you also consider it just a bad day since Cristina or Elena only had 20+ events each the whole last year.
On the other hand, I agree that Elena and Cristina (especially) made more effort at the family events, Letizia didn't, but maybe there were other reasons behind it. But if you look at Cristina's own events, she normally looked quite frumpy and dull, plenty of days with bad hair over the years.

I'm wondering about it too. She has got nice style in the past, very professional, with nice suits and dresses. Now CP Letizia often looks inappropriate for the events, wearing short dresses, ugly platforms and the same clothes all the times, like she doesn't care.

I agree with dazzling. I saw many older famous women (for example politicians) in their 50s or 60s still wore short skirts, platforms, ankle boots.
Maybe there is some culture difference between a royal and a normal woman, so Letizia wants to be more like a normal woman, especially under the current economic crisis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom