The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 06:53 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
The make up difference is obvious but nice eye make up.

A I posted before once, I bet they were on skiing holidays - then you look like this - face dark, rest light. She uses to look like this only in winters, mostly after new year - so they go skiing during christmas vacation too - probably in Switzerland or Austria where they are not bothered by the press.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Where are the double standards? I could see double standards if Letizia wore designer and was heavily critizised for it but that is not the case.

I cant recall one single occasion when Letizia was critizised for using TOO EXPENSIVE clothing. Her engagement outfit was critizised for other reasons such as not being spanish or her overall appearance being too bossy (wearing the pants), but not because it was too expensive or a high end designer.

While the rest of the family obviously continues to dress between high end fashion and international designer and is NOT being critizised for it, only Letizia doesnt follow suit but choses to dress low end fashion that could look nice in the right combination but doesnt in her case.

If its true that choice of clothes reflect personality then Letizia must be very, very bored, if not worse.
Letizia was being criticized for wearing Armani pantsuits (everyone knows Armani is more expensive than the Spanish designers in general) at the engagement, Cristina wore very similar white Armani pantsuits at her engagement and nobody said anything, if these are not double standards, what are they ? In Feb last year, the tabloids made a big deal on Letizia spending 20,000 Euro per month on her clothes and accessories, starting on the day of her new Varela dress she wore at the foreign ambassadors reception, in fact most of the items of the month were recycled, the prices quoted were exaggerated prices that I doubt anyone would pay for. Why didn't they do one for her MIL ? They could start counting her MIL's expense when she had a new Valentino couture (at the Swedish wedding), the exaggerated price for a Valentino couture is about 30,000. If these are not the double standards, what are called the double standards ?

She had tried to dress very boring at the beginning of her marriage, always wore Varela suits in a similar style, different colors, she was hoping to be like her in-laws, not to be the target of the tabloids. Of course, it didn't work. I think she dressed less boring now. The style of her clothes is much more updated, although the quality is not too good (you can't expect too much from Mango or Zara). My only complain is that the skirt should be longer. Some dresses would look so much better if the skirts were longer, although short skirts are very much the trend right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuchu View Post
Today she was wearing a classic suit. There were no complaints about short or trendy outfits - just a boring, gray outfit.
Exactly. All the pieces are recycled. On the other hand, I wish she were the one wearing the red coat instead.

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/107...208403F6E5B0BA

grey suit is OK but boring.
http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/107...0FA7589DE30446

Old 01-13-2011, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

January 13, 2011 - Letizia at a lunch for President of Hungary & his wife in a mini dress with almost the same color tights. Lets not even mention the shoes

I find this very inappropriate to wear for such an event. Its too casual, too short and nothing expected for a crown princess to be in. A nice skirt/printed skirt would be nice with a jacket or a nicer more formal dress.

Full View ** Close up
Old 01-13-2011, 11:56 AM
Aristocracy

I agree that it's to short! Looking at the other women's skirts they are longer and more appropriate.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:01 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
January 13, 2011 - Letizia at a lunch for President of Hungary & his wife in a mini dress with almost the same color tights. Lets not even mention the shoes

I find this very inappropriate to wear for such an event. Its too casual, too short and nothing expected for a crown princess to be in. A nice skirt/printed skirt would be nice with a jacket or a nicer more formal dress.

Full View ** Close up
Too short and too tight. Reminds me of a dress I would wear to go shopping or for a lunch with friends, but not to work.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:55 PM
Heir Apparent

I like the dress, it's quite pretty but I'd rather see it on a younger woman while shopping or out at a cafe with her female friends or something...
Old 01-13-2011, 01:11 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoorMeansLight View Post
I like the dress, it's quite pretty but I'd rather see it on a younger woman while shopping or out at a cafe with her female friends or something...
I agree with you. She looks like the King's granddaughter here instead of his dil.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:02 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Always when I see her in such outfits I think that those short dresses, the pantyhose and the shoes together look quite childish. It is an inappropriate outfit for a crown princess who's almost 40 and it's really a pity when I think of what a great style she once had and how gorgeous she could look like...
Old 01-13-2011, 02:55 PM
Royal Highness

The dress itself is pretty, but too short and bad accessories make this look too informal for this kind of event.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:17 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – The Netherlands

Quote:

Full View ** Close up
Once again I agree with you dazzling
The dress is good but is inappropriate for the event. This time the hair are not too bad
Old 01-13-2011, 03:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Ugggh Letizia and her shades of grey yet again. I like the color grey but I think the woman is depressed or something.

myroyal's: SPA
Old 01-13-2011, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

That dress is definitely too short for this particular event. I'm also not fond of the color.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn67 View Post
Ugggh Letizia and her shades of grey yet again. I like the color grey but I think the woman is depressed or something.

myroyal's: SPA
It´s BROWN
Old 01-13-2011, 04:17 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
It´s BROWN
Lol Lula, you're right, it's clearly a tan/brown color.
I like it, it's short but with the dark tights it doesn't look improper and it fits her very well. It's a very simple dress that looks wonderful on her
I also like the belt very much, it's a great color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaK View Post
Letizia was being criticized for wearing Armani pantsuits (everyone knows Armani is more expensive than the Spanish designers in general) at the engagement, Cristina wore very similar white Armani pantsuits at her engagement and nobody said anything, if these are not double standards, what are they ? In Feb last year, the tabloids made a big deal on Letizia spending 20,000 Euro per month on her clothes and accessories, starting on the day of her new Varela dress she wore at the foreign ambassadors reception, in fact most of the items of the month were recycled, the prices quoted were exaggerated prices that I doubt anyone would pay for. Why didn't they do one for her MIL ? They could start counting her MIL's expense when she had a new Valentino couture (at the Swedish wedding), the exaggerated price for a Valentino couture is about 30,000. If these are not the double standards, what are called the double standards ?

She had tried to dress very boring at the beginning of her marriage, always wore Varela suits in a similar style, different colors, she was hoping to be like her in-laws, not to be the target of the tabloids. Of course, it didn't work. I think she dressed less boring now. The style of her clothes is much more updated, although the quality is not too good (you can't expect too much from Mango or Zara). My only complain is that the skirt should be longer. Some dresses would look so much better if the skirts were longer, although short skirts are very much the trend right now.

Exactly. All the pieces are recycled. On the other hand, I wish she were the one wearing the red coat instead.

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/107...208403F6E5B0BA

grey suit is OK but boring.
http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/107...0FA7589DE30446
I couldn't have said it better dKaren. I completely agree with you on the double standars. Nobody in the royal family is critisized half of what Letizia endures. If she started wearing expensive foreign brands constantly as the other women of the family do, the press would eat her alive.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:25 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

Full View ** Close up
With all the respect to Letizia, the dress is nice but to be worn informally or at home. I like Letizia for her beauty and wisdom but can't make head nor tail of why she keeps copying the same outfits over and over!
Old 01-13-2011, 04:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yes Ana, I also think that it is a normal and appropriate clothes. Probably it is that for the Spanish women it is very normal because we see it in the street, in shops, magazine sor the tv every day.

For example, Esperanza Aguirre, President of Madrid, she is a conservative policy,she is 59 years old... she dress skirts above the knee, dark stockings, platforms or leather skirt ... and there is no problem.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:55 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
Yes Ana, I also think that it is a normal and appropriate clothes. Probably it is that for the Spanish women it is very normal because we see it in the street, in shops, magazine sor the tv every day.

For example, Esperanza Aguirre, President of Madrid, she is a conservative policy,she is 59 years old... she dress skirts above the knee, dark stockings, platforms or leather skirt ... and there is no problem.
Yes, I understand what you say about Esperanza Aguirre lula. She's not only a conservative politician practically in her 60s, she's also a countess and a Grandee of Spain and she wears short skirts, platform heels...and I haven't heard of anyone having a problem with it here in Spain.

Sometimes when she is with Letizia we can see similarities in their outfits. The same happens with female ministers, we can see some of the in platform heels etc...
Old 01-13-2011, 05:01 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaC View Post
I couldn't have said it better dKaren. I completely agree with you on the double standars. Nobody in the royal family is critisized half of what Letizia endures. If she started wearing expensive foreign brands constantly as the other women of the family do, the press would eat her alive.
Thats an assumption from your side, nothing more. While I agree that Letizia has been critizised over the years for all sort of things, it has hardly been because of the cost of her clothing and that includes the Armani pantsuit at her engagement. It was critizised for not being Spanish and not being a skirt (the same critizism didnt apply to Infanta Cristina, that is true, but it was never about the suit being expensive).

If Letizia wore the same level of clothing as her inlaws and would be critizised for it while the others wouldnt, I'd agree on double standards, but thats not the case and has never been. The professional clothing of the first years of marriage wasnt expensive designer but did the job beautifully.

And by the way, we dont know what connections Sofia, Cristina and Elena make use of when managing their professional wardrobe (same would apply to Letizia), I highly doubt they will pay tens of thousands of Euros to any designer but will instead get massive discounts, loans that will be returned at some point or even freebies.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:25 PM
Nobility

I would love to write again that I loved her dress but I mustn't lie
But I can say it looks okay, though.

Can you imagine a time when the truth ran free
The birth of a song
the death of a dream
Old 01-13-2011, 06:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

The dress is too short indeed, but that isn´t the problem (for me, a woman can wear short dresses if she wants, to the event she wants, and when she wants, not matter her age, as long as she looks good in them)
The problem with this particular dress for me, it´s that is quite ugly, shapeless, dull colour, and above all, cheap-looking, and that´s what makes Letizia´s outfit inappropriate most of the time, not the lengt, IMO of course.

Proud admirer and supporter of the Princess of Asturias, Viana and Gerona (2005 - ) :)
Closed Thread