The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 07:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M.
I doubt it. Princess Laurentien is, tja... Princess Laurentien, you know.

The Queen knows her as long as she is alive (Princess Laurentien's mother is a private friend of the Queen and was one of the her house-mates during her study at Leyden University. Princess Laurentien's father was until recently vice-premier minister). Princess Laurentien is the Queen's first daughter-in-law and they seem extremely close. From all what you hear and read it seems that Princess Laurentien is the spider in the web of the Queen's family. She seems more influential than Princess Máxima and Princess Mabel. The Queen is too fond of her to fall over some choices in her garderobe.

Princess Laurentien's style might be godawful so now and then, but as long as it is appropriate, the Queen is the last person to block someone's own choices, character, taste or personality.
I agree Henri M. that the Queen is a much bigger person than to fault or be utterly embarassed by someone for their choice in attire. For some Laurentien's wardrobe may not be perfect or princess-worthy, but it would be far worst if Laurentien's behaviour in public were embarassing -- which it certainly is not. By all accounts, the few public engagements Laurentien does make on behalf of the royal house connected to literacy, Queensday, etc., Laurentien is very engaged and interacts well with adults and children alike. She doesn't do anything at these engagements or in her private life to embarass the Queen or the royal court and that is far more important. (Wouldn't it be worst to have someone who dressed according to our tastes but was a terribly embarassing princess? Who misspoke often or did embarassing things?)

Laurentien's wardrobe may not be one that any of us would choose to raid, but I think it speaks to her personality and as someone married to one of the Queen's younger sons and who lives in Belgium, she has the freedom to dress a little bit more "wildly" than Maxima might.

I think on the whole people are too hard on Laurentien. Her style isn't for everyone but she is a good person at heart and does right by her family, the Queen and the royal house.

Old 09-25-2006, 01:39 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M.
But Princess Laurentien was not wearing orange glasses at all ! She was handed a pair of such by an enthusiast kid in the crowd and it spoke volumes for her goodnatured personality that she placed these plastic glasses on her head and kept it on for the rest of the program. The kid who gave the glasses must have glowed with pride.
She is not wearing the glasses on top of her head? I would call that wearing them, maybe you don't and that's okay. And if the kid glowed with pride then good for her! I just happen to not like the whole outfit.

Old 10-14-2006, 10:26 AM
Nobility

This dress Laurentien is wearing is from Zara Basics, when I was shopping this morning I though it looked familair for me. Then I recognised it, as Laurentien was wearing it. It was 109,- euro. source ppe
Old 10-14-2006, 11:02 AM
Serene Highness

Are you sure? If that's true, that definitely would be hilarious.
*Runs to the closest Zara shop to get herself a Laurentien dress*
Old 10-14-2006, 03:53 PM
Nobility

Yess i'm really sure . It was exactly the same... it was in the Zara in Arnhem..
Old 10-16-2006, 09:21 PM
Serene Highness

You know, I can appreciate that she's adventerous with her closes and accessories. She does not seem overly cautious with any of that. She just wears what she likes and actually it's kind of refreshing. Everybody is not meant to be the same.

Laurentien keeps it fun and interesting and lively! Life is too short not to enjoy what one wears, right?
Old 10-16-2006, 10:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think her dress is as bad as it may seem. It is her husband's dark suit arm that makes it look as if her bosom is of some questionable shape. As for her "Zara" dress. Some stores are experts in knock-offs. Unless you actually see the dress up close it may be a situation where Laurentien is wearing an "original" and Zara's had a copy.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:45 PM
Aristocracy

I had never had a chance to really look at Laurentien's dresses. Some are pretty bad but I guess she likes to experiment, so you have to give her credit for taking a risk sometimes.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:48 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillia
You know, I can appreciate that she's adventerous with her closes and accessories. She does not seem overly cautious with any of that. She just wears what she likes and actually it's kind of refreshing. Everybody is not meant to be the same.

Laurentien keeps it fun and interesting and lively! Life is too short not to enjoy what one wears, right?
I agree. I don't love everything she wears but I admire her spirit in trying different things.Her style is offbeat and unique I enjoy seeing what she wears-she is never boring and you can't say that about many royals!
Old 11-12-2006, 10:48 PM
Nobility

I think it's wonderful that she is so daring, but I feel for her poor hubbie...he must be an extraordinarily understanding fellow!
Old 08-22-2007, 03:04 PM
Commoner

It is unbelieveble to see how much HATE some people feel towards this princess. Some of her outfits are not my taste either but i've seen her in many beautiful outfits. It looks like some make it a sport to find the least outfits and even the nice outfits are critiziced even more than terrible outfits of other princesses who wear AT LEAST the same amount of questionable outfits. I've seen many princesses in terrible outfits and many in not very good outfits but they are not made fun of in this hatefull way.
I've read the Letzia versus Mary remarks of people but even that is without all this hate. Maybe some just don't like the woman for wathever reason and therefore it must be difficult to say a positif thing about her dresses, keep searching for something negatif.. maybe it is the wind that makes the dress looks less perfect, put that picture on the site and say it is horrific. I am seriously amazed. But ok, keep on telling us (and yourself) you are realy objective when you pour out the hateful comments so eventualy you will believe it yourself :-D
Old 08-22-2007, 04:22 PM
Aristocracy

I don´t find other words, Laurentein´s Fashion and Style are horrible.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

03-10-2007 Scheveningen Princess Laurentien attended the government congress for illiteracy (ppe)

I dont know if this is a nice look. All the layerin is in and the long sleeve under a shorter sleeve jacket but i think too much is going on. the pants, the coat is too long and sleeves are too short for the longer sleeves underneth
Picture

18-09-2007 Prinsjesdag

I loved the outfit. For once she at prinsjesdag she doesnt look like a mess. The color is lovely maybe a bit dark for daytime but im loving it. Nice hat too..
Full length shot (ppe)
Close up (ppe)

12-09-2007
I like this dress as well as the print. Like how she has matched it with a cropped sweater. Looks like a Marni dress.
PPE pictures
Full length shot
close up
Old 10-03-2007, 09:41 PM
Serene Highness

She does elegance with a twist!
Old 10-20-2007, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

at Princess Ariane baptism Saturday Oct 20, 2007

I like the dress & the coat, put together i dont like. I also think that hat is too much for the outfit, what was she trying to go for

Picture 1
picture 2
(ppe)
Old 10-20-2007, 08:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Much as I love Laurentien and her family, I must say this outfit is not very elegant
Old 10-20-2007, 08:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

I, too, think she is a wonderful woman. With that being said, I don't think she has a mirror.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:57 PM
Courtier

The outfit today was colorful that is for sure! I am like you someone should tell her to check the mirror. This one was a little over the top. She can look so lovely at times, then she wears some things that just seem to be totally over the top.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

At the christening she just had too much happening. I really want to like this Princess but her fashion choices are so questionable they are toecurlling..... it is embarassing this outfit as an example. It appears to me that she still sees herself at a younger age and thinks she can carry this off someone TELL HER SHE LOOKS STUPID is that an awful thing to say? I don't mean it to be as I think she is probably nice as one can get in that circle of women.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:14 PM
Nobility

To me if the dress had been long she would like Dr. Quinn of Medicine Woman!

Tags
fashion, princess laurentien, style