Princess Clotilde of Savoy's Fashion and Style Part 1: December 2007 - March 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Comparing the inimitable Grace Kelly with Clotilde is like comparing platinum to gold. They are from different eras and different social mores. Clotilde is a modern woman and Grace is/was an icon. Very unfair comparison, IMO.

Mrs Courau ... gold?? Sincerely not for me. Steel, iron, charcoal? but not gold!!

Clotilde at the Francois Truffaut Exhibition Opening in Paris yesterday, October 6 - looks a bit like the result of the first own attempts at sewing ;)

** Full view 1 ** Full view ** Upper part **

Oh my. Horrid looking! This is taking things way too far, even for Clotilde.

I usually admire Clotilde's sartorial spunk. But that top is a hot mess. How can you look you have been ravaged and are being strangled by a garment at the same time?

I like the drop waist belt (or whatever you might call it) and the color/shape of the skirt.

But her facial expression is exquisite. She knew ahead of time we would not like it and she is amused in advance of comment. Just IMHO, of course. :p

Clotilde in a nice, elegant black dress at the opening ceremony of the 6th Festival Lumière in Lyon, France, on October 13:

** Full view ** Upper part **

Love the dress, but not the shoes. Is this a European trait...wearing shoes that don't "go" with the outfit? This is not a criticism, but am wondering if shoes are secondary or tertiary to the rest of the outfit.

Her impish face is what I like most!

Great dress - black or even a brightly coloured shoe would be better. She looks really relaxed - still wish she would stop with the hip thrust poses.

I'm with the other posters. Love the dress, but not the shoes! Agree that she needs another type of pose..

Clothilde never disappoints me! She's like Maxima - in that she will dress as she likes and I love to see her choices.

I have a new theory about how she does her hair. I think she flips it to her left and sprays it that way. Then she flips it to the right and locks it in on that side. It gives her that little hair bump on the top of her head at her part.

Clotilde at the 30th anniversary party of the private television channel Canal Plus in Paris on November 4, 2014, wearing a dress with two different leather parts.

** Full view ** Upper part ** Back view **

OK - I admire her spirit, but this just made me chuckle.

Great color though.

I think she looks a mess. Sorry.

I agree. Clotilde could use a makeover. Her hair is not at all attractive, no matter how she styles it. And she usually dresses and acts as she did when she was much younger (and cuter). Sometimes a middle-aged woman has to reassess the image she presents and then adjust it to reality. She would look much better if she dressed and groomed (and posed) in age-appropriate fashion.

Clotilde at the NRJ Music Awards in Cannes, France on December 13, 2014, wearing a black lace dress.

It could have been such a great look for her, if only the skirt part hadn't been that extremely transparent:

** Full view 1 ** Full view 2 ** Upper part **

The overall look suits her but I agree with iceflower, the transparent part spoils it. The dress would've been lovely if it weren't for the skirt part. However, she seems to prefer more adventurous outfits such as this. I guess that's because she's a non-reigning royal who mainly focuses on her acting career rather than her royal life. I haven't seen many photos of Clotilde attending royal events.

It will be interesting to see how her style will develop as she grows older. I wonder if she will be one of those trendy older women who still like to wear leggins, or if she will be an elegant older woman like former Queen Sofia, or just wear "normal" clothes that are worn by most older women.

Last edited:

Clotilde in black and white at a French TV show in Paris yesterday, December 17. I like the look although the neckline is marginal ;)

Clotilde at a charity dinner in Paris yesterday, December 18, wearing a black dress with white parts. The cut and belt look a bit strange to me:

I love the transparency of the black lace dress' skirt. It suits our Clo. Merry Christmas to Clotilde, Emanuele and the children!

I needed this little bit of Clothilde this morning. Thanks Iceflower.

I always wonder if you got Queen Max and Clothilde in a room would they talk about how they totally "get" the other's style or would they avoid the subject a la, "if you can't say something nice..."
Because they both have this (to me at least) raucous underlying approach to style. There is no putting either of them in a corner. And I find that admirable.

I love it that she still tries hard with high-end fashion and all, but no! This b&w outfit does nothing for her!

I totally agree with you, Noor! In the second pic of the upper part, she looks pregnant. Not one of her better looks. :(

I looked through this entire thread because I was curious. I have no clue who Princess Clotilde is but she is FABULOUS!! She is wearing the absolute latest fashion and she looks good in them. I don't get the criticism. Some people may not like what she wears but she certainly can't be call boring. She looks great and so unlike most of the princesses I've seen on this forum. She's young and dresses the way a young, rich woman should dress and she seems to be having a ball. I say good for her.

I looked through this entire thread because I was curious. I have no clue who Princess Clotilde is but she is FABULOUS!! She is wearing the absolute latest fashion and she looks good in them. I don't get the criticism. Some people may not like what she wears but she certainly can't be call boring. She looks great and so unlike most of the princesses I've seen on this forum. She's young and dresses the way a young, rich woman should dress and she seems to be having a ball. I say good for her.

She married into the family/royalty. She's an actress. People find her terribly common in that actress-y way. That's my opinion of the situation. I think she's a hoot and love a week with some Clotilde in it.

She is an actress and model. That explains everything. Clotilde, married to a Prince of the ancient and respected House of Savoy, does not behave like a royal lady but always and ever goes into "model mode" (head tilted, goldfish lips, shoulders a bit rotated, legs crossed strategically and looking into the camera, preferrably with seducing eyes). See the would-be Queen of Italy, and here and here and here. So maybe you can imagine how the Italian high and mighty, the Borgheses, the Borromeos, the Aldobrandinis, the Orsinis, etc. look to that couple. Another criticism is the absolute shallowness of the events Clotilde attends: anything which has no red carpet lined with shouting paperazzi seems not interesting for madame. Her husband, Emmanuele Filiberto, is even more shallow and superficial, contending in shows like "Dancing With The Stars" or reality shows. In contrary to other non-reigning royal houses like Romania, Portugal or France, the Savoys seem to have zero interest in their immense patrimonium, in preserving their heritage, in maintaining the high dignity and respect the House once had.

The "other side" Prince Aimone and Princess Olga di Savoia-Aosta (née of Greece) try to maintain a more traditional appearance. The Prince has served in the Italian Navy and is now in the board of Pirelli Russia/Scandinavia, mainly residing in Moscow. His spouse Princess Olga has given birth to two sons and a daughter. In due time (Emmanuele Filiberto and Clotilde have no sons) the headship of the House will go to Prince Aimone and then his eldest son Prince Umberto (painting by his mother Princess Olga). Here Prince Umberto with his brother Prince Amedeo.

:sad::ermm::ohmy::whistling:

How interesting! Thank you for clearing that up re Clotilde, Duc.

We can not blame Clotilde herself too much. It started with Marina Doria, her mother-in-law. She brought eh... how to describe it... vulgarity into the House of Italy, I am afraid to say.

Marina Doria 1

Marina Doria 2

Marina Doria 3

Marina Doria 4 (eye-popping jewels)

Marina Doria 5 (eye-popping jewels again)

With such an example, no wonder her son Emmanuele Filiberto di Savoia has chosen the same type of lady (wait until Clotilde is Marina's age, after all Marina has been young too...)

Wedding Vittorio Emmanuele and Maria Doria (from the very first steps in royal life being totally off the royal path)

:flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom