Princess Charlene's Fashion and Style Part 9: July 2013 - October 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like it either, but i don't find it horrible.

The fact she wore the national costume was very appreciat by the people of Monaco said the national newspapers of Monaco with many persons who said in the newspapers they were happy to see at least a princess of monaco wearing the national costume.
Yeah, i agree with you. The most important thing is that she wore the national Monaco's costume :flowers:

If some people didn't find it nice the way she wore it, well no one is perfect for all the eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:
apparent lack of interest in fashion does not equate to a lack of interest in actual events. That is a leap too far, IMO.

with the exception of the black jump suit thingy, she wears appropriate clothing IMO. I look at the clothes of the people she meets and there is a similar style of clothing.

She generally likes simple lines and plain colours but then she will try something completely different. I like that a lot and I think she is still learning. some of the tolerance shown to HGD Stephanie would come in handy on this thread.

apparent lack of interest in fashion does not equate to a lack of interest in actual events. That is a leap too far, IMO.

with the exception of the black jump suit thingy, she wears appropriate clothing IMO. I look at the clothes of the people she meets and there is a similar style of clothing.

She generally likes simple lines and plain colours but then she will try something completely different. I like that a lot and I think she is still learning. some of the tolerance shown to HGD Stephanie would come in handy on this thread.

There's no joy in her outfits.

Perfectly stated, Argie, and I agree for the most part. She was soo beautiful on her wedding day... I expected her to maintain that look. So elegant and regal... I guess she wasn't comfortable with that style.

There's no joy in her outfits.

I love Charlene, I really do, but you have nailed it in your comment. She seems joyless, her clothing choices reflect that (NOT all the time) and that is sad.

I just find some of her outfits odd for someone who declared her interest in bringing fashion to Monaco. Whatever that means. And I agree that the outfit she wore to greet the Obamas was inappropriate. I honestly can't believe that Albert, for all that he seems perfectly content with her as she is (understandable in a husband!), thought that outfit was ok and didn't day anything.

https://twitter.com/autismspeaks/status/383220457433886720/photo/1

She xas very elegant at that event , she was very elegant at all the receptions during this event. It is her style some people do not like, some people like it.

The dress she wore at the lunch with Michelle O Bama was the the same that Queen mathilde wore this week and the same that princess Claire of Luxembourg wore during her civil ceremoni of her weeding.

The latest outfit is fine for the event and seems to be in line with what others are wearing. However, it does look a little tight in places, as well as creased around the bottom of the skirt. But, it isn't easy to judge because it isn't the best photo.

I just can't get over what she wore with the President and First Lady of the United States. Even a husband would notice such an outfit is inappropriate. I really have revised my opinion of her.

......for some reason, she seems to be immunized against sound advice from stylists. In 90% of all events she turns up poorly styled or dressed completely wrong, inappropriate in terms of style, bling, behaviour, anything else :bang:

I must say people do tend to over react to clothes. As far as I could see nothing inappropriate was being shown to the President or Mrs Obama. Now I may not have liked that particular outfit the other clothes worn in NYC all seemed perfectly appropriate for the events she was attending and in keeping with what other ladies were wearing at the same event so I cannot get so worked up about one pantsuit. The overreaction reminds me of Sonja McMahon and Margaret Trudeau's debuts at the White House when their apparel scandalized Washington society. Now no one would bat an eye at a first lady wearing a gown with a high slit up the side or appearing in a dress above the knee. Much ado about nothing.

I must say people do tend to over react to clothes. As far as I could see nothing inappropriate was being shown to the President or Mrs Obama. Now I may not have liked that particular outfit the other clothes worn in NYC all seemed perfectly appropriate for the events she was attending and in keeping with what other ladies were wearing at the same event so I cannot get so worked up about one pantsuit. The overreaction reminds me of Sonja McMahon and Margaret Trudeau's debuts at the White House when their apparel scandalized Washington society. Now no one would bat an eye at a first lady wearing a gown with a high slit up the side or appearing in a dress above the knee. Much ado about nothing.

Sorry to disagree, but her pantsuit is more appropriate for a fashion show than a diplomatic dinner/event. Charlene is different from a lot of other royals in that her husband is the head of government. She needs to dress accordingly.

I just can't get over what she wore with the President and First Lady of the United States. Even a husband would notice such an outfit is inappropriate. I really have revised my opinion of her.

Perhaps her husband didn't think it was inappropriate?

Sorry to disagree, but her pantsuit is more appropriate for a fashion show than a diplomatic dinner/event. Charlene is different from a lot of other royals in that her husband is the head of government. She needs to dress accordingly.

I agree. I am no fashion model, but there is protocol when it comes to meeting heads of state. While pants may be comfortable and preferred, Charlene just looked totally out of it with the President and First Lady. And the type of pants and blouse she wore was very inappropriate for this function.

I agree. I am no fashion model, but there is protocol when it comes to meeting heads of state. While pants may be comfortable and preferred, Charlene just looked totally out of it with the President and First Lady. And the type of pants and blouse she wore was very inappropriate for this function.

Can you show me the protocol book that says women may not wear pants when meeting a head os state for I have certainly never seen such a book.

I expect the President and First Lady are far more relaxed about dress code that some of the posters on here.

I expect the President and First Lady are far more relaxed about dress code that some of the posters on here.

Me too!!! LOL.
People fail to recognize the difference between not personally liking someone's outfit and declaring the outfit to be a violation of international protocol.

I don't think the President or the First Lady care about those things. It is a silly argument. Charlene looked very nice.

Gosh I'm sorry, I was under the impression that I was free to voice my opinion without people getting snarky with me. I must have either been wrong or on the wrong site. I said she looked nice, just that pants were not the best choice. Other royal females visiting heads of state usually wear a dress, that is all I meant and no, I don't have a book to back anything up, I was voicing MY OPINION. Jeez.

Charlene can wear whatever, I don't care. She looked great, great, great, terrific. There.

Last edited:
I don't think that stating that an outfit wasn't the most appropriate for an event is an over reaction or indeed, silly. Particularly in the fashion thread. And no, she wasn't showing anything she shouldn't have been. And yes, it was quite a nice outfit (for a cocktail party). And no, the Obamas probably couldn't give a monkey's what she was wearing. And there most probably isn't a protocol book about what to wear. But then most people don't seem to need one.

Oh, please, she was here, in the US, not somewhere with "white gloves" that that have gone out of fashion 50 years ago. The hysteria is ridiculous and no one cared a whit. There are very serious problems in this world, what one wears at this or that is not one of them. And who is the doyenne of International Protocol. Some reps from some nations look off the rack from Wal-Mart. Should we make a fuss. No they are where they are supposed to be and nice people, hopefully.

I think pants were fine for the event, but the sheer top part was a bit too much (as were the shoes). She should have gone with a top that was a little more appropriate for the event.

I didn't care for the dress she wore to the Autism event, I thought the color and fit were off. But I did like the white outfit she wore to the luncheon. I thought she looked really elegant and it was her best outfit from this trip.

Last edited:
Dressing like that shows a lack of respect to your hosts, your setting and the occasion and a real lack of judgment.

Me too!!! LOL.
People fail to recognize the difference between not personally liking someone's outfit and declaring the outfit to be a violation of international protocol.

Really?! If it was anyone else (like Michelle Obama or Samantha Cameron), Charlene would have been wrung through the press like a rag in the laundry. Look, either Charlene is going to be a serious princess consort or she isn't. Looking the part is part of the deal.

That being said, Charlene looked lovely at the other events, so I'm hoping this will be a one-time blip.

I'm afraid Charlene's wardrobe faux pas make me think of deeper problems she might have. What makes it worse, we are used to always see the Monaco royals dressed to kill at official events. If only by comparison with Caroline, Charlene loses many points. But time will tell whether she will finally adjust to her role and adapt her style accordingly or not.

To be honest.... This is the Monegasque princely family not the Windsors we are talking out; They are vary ,uh,liberal about so many things. Maybe appropriate diplomatic attire is one of them ;) not an excuse but maybe an explanation.

To be honest.... This is the Monegasque princely family not the Windsors we are talking out; They are vary ,uh,liberal about so many things. Maybe appropriate diplomatic attire is one of them ;) not an excuse but maybe an explanation.

Hahaha!!!! Thank you for making me laugh:ROFLMAO:

So I finally got interested enough to go four pages back to see what was so dreadful that it's giving everyone the vapors, and really... that? It's a basic black outfit. It's not my favorite, but it's hardly a violation of decency and protocol.

Quit clutching the pearls.

I'm afraid Charlene's wardrobe faux pas make me think of deeper problems she might have. What makes it worse, we are used to always see the Monaco royals dressed to kill at official events. If only by comparison with Caroline, Charlene loses many points. But time will tell whether she will finally adjust to her role and adapt her style accordingly or not.
I think you would be well served to check the wedding thread of Albert and Charlene. The Monaco royals have a dreadful sense of occasion and I believe you will find that Charlene is as good or as bad as the rest!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom