Princess Charlene's Fashion and Style Part 8: March 2013 - July 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She wore this dress in red a couple of weeks ago. I like the red dress best.

The red outfit reminds me of those polyester suits that were so fashionable in the 70s. She looks nice in this particular shade, but it's a bit too much of one color in this instance.

Daria, they may have been popular, but they were never fashionable! I'm trying to recall if I ever wore something similar, but I am mercifully unable to remember. (Although I'm now having a vague memory of something in a piercing shade of lime green.)

I love beige, but this is just too much. Would it kill her to put on some earrings and lipstick?

Edited to add: After a second look, it appears she might be wearing stud earrings, but they are so small and insignificant that it's hard to tell. The lady next to her looks so vibrant, with her red hair, red lips, and colorful earrings. Charlene, indeed, looks like a bowl of oatmeal. Sigh.

Last edited:

Yep.

OATMEAL!

:lol::ROFLMAO:

I love beige, but this is just too much. Would it kill her to put on some earrings and lipstick?

Edited to add: After a second look, it appears she might be wearing stud earrings, but they are so small and insignificant that it's hard to tell. The lady next to her looks so vibrant, with her red hair, red lips, and colorful earrings. Charlene, indeed, looks like a bowl of oatmeal. Sigh.

QC . . .

I dunno . . .

To me, t's almost like Charlene's going around TRYING to impress the world with how "normal" and "regular" she is, far as the "no jewelry" look goes.

Even though she's now Princess of Monaco.

If I'm anywhere at all in the ballpark and that just MIGHT be what's on her mind, it's had the exact OPPOSITE effect on me, because I, for one, am NOT impressed.

Nobody's expecting her to go around blinging like a Christmas tree, 24/7/365 (Even though if she wanted to, she COULD actually DO that; my GOD, so far, at least, her hubby has splashed out for killer wedding/engagement rings, two tiaras, etc., starting from when they got engaged, for heaven's sake! They're NOT hurting for ducats!).

And based on all the pics I've seen of that part of what I'm sure must be a VERY nice, healthy treasure trove by now, Al didn't get ANY of it out of a Cracker Jack box.

But facts are facts . . .

Since she said "I do!", "normal" and "regular" went flying out the window, far as she's concerned!

Nice studs (NOT a pair that you'd need a magnifying glass to see, and preferably diamonds, of course!), her wedding and/or engagement ring(s), one of her tiaras when appropriate, PERHAPS a tasteful necklace, every now and again . . .

WHAT IN THE WORLD COULD ANY OF THAT HURT???

Sheesh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bang:

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous:THIS

I totally agree. Charlene seems to be projecting an image of "I don't care what people think. I am Her Serene Highness and I can do what I want,"

How about looking like a princess once in awhile and representing your principality with pride? She makes me cringe in embarrassment for her lately. :bang:

I, agree, with most. Beige is becoming really dull. And the lack of jewelry making it uninteresting. She is stunning and needs little embellishment, but I would think, it bores her, too.

Dull boring too odd ... she is really presenting alot of questions about her personal style IMO

She keeps wearing beige and neutrals... Doesn't she notice that those shades of color washes her out? Those doesn't suit women with fair skin and blonde hair.

Isnt the beige dress similar or same to the red dress she wore to the grand prix?
The color doesn't do her any good.

I think its a great dress, but when worn with her skin I agree you have to do something to accent. Pearls, Jade, something to set it off IMO.

Isnt the beige dress similar or same to the red dress she wore to the grand prix?
The color doesn't do her any good.

Yes the beige dress is the same one. It suits her physique well.

Beige is a non-color and paired with her non-jewelry stance creates a minimalist look that juxtaposed to Monaco's opulence and other princesses style is contrary to what fashion critics are expecting.

It is almost like a fashion rebellion. Her look sometimes reminds me of the Calvin Klein androgynous look a few years ago. I'm not saying that Charlene is androgynous, far from it. But I'm trying to put my finger on her look and fashnion minimalism is what I'm comming up with.

Last edited:
Fashion minimalism is a good description, agogo! She needs to step it up a notch,imho.

Beige is a non-color and paired with her non-jewelry stance creates a minimalist look that juxtaposed to Monaco's opulence and other princesses style is contrary to what fashion critics are expecting.

Sounds like a good thing to me. Much better to have your own style than to be a clone in designer gowns and dripping in diamonds just because some self appointed experts expect it.

It's fine to have a unique fashion style and to trod a different path from other princesses, but when you're married to a sovereign prince yet trying to blend in with the wallpaper it does make one wonder what's going on. It's difficult for Charlene, due to her beauty and physical presence, to fade in among the crowd, and lately I've been wondering if she's trying to do just that with her drab, dressed-down look. This in itself is defeating the purpose since she stands out all the more. And when she puts forth a washed-out appearance with a tepid non-color, sans makeup and jewels, as well as previously attending the Swedish royal wedding where a tiara was de rigeuer and she chose not to wear one nor any other jewel, you have to wonder what message she might be trying to convey with the choices she's been making lately.

Last edited:
I, agree, with you, completely. It has become a bore, which is her right, but too beautiful to let this go by, AND, she pays professionals, who should have some input.

Charlene, ma chere, a plain dress, while flattering and timeless shouts to be a show case for jewels, Think of the oyster and the pearl.

Sounds like a good thing to me. Much better to have your own style than to be a clone in designer gowns and dripping in diamonds just because some self appointed experts expect it.

Antique tiaras and grandmother's jewels present fashion pitfalls for a modern-day princess. One or two pieces with a beautiful gown can work. Too many pieces of vintage royal jewels and a princess risks looking over-jeweled. It is better to wear fewer rather than too many pieces of jewelry.

Monaco does not have a major collection of tiaras and such. Princess Grace seemed to have had a reserved taste in jewelry. I suppose if Princess Charlene wore any of Princess Grace's jewels critics would make a huge fuss.

Last edited:
Monaco does not have a major collection of tiaras and such. Princess Grace seemed to have had a reserved taste in jewelry. I suppose if Princess Charlene wore any of Princess Grace's jewels critics would make a huge fuss.

This is not an issue AFAIK, P.Albert has a substantial amount of money and could buy P.Charlene any kind of jewel she would like (incl. new modern bling).
It's apparently her choice not to wear anything and this in itself is a statement (so it's not a way to blend in with the crowd...because of not wearing any jewelry she deliberately stands out..)

Yes Lee-Z, you hit on an interesting paradox. I think Charlene is tussling with knowing which path to walk. I have never really believed that either she is allergic or has a dislike for jewellery - mainly because I think this would have emerged much earlier, and as others have said, she regularly wore jewellery before her marriage. Her appearance at the Swedish wedding prompted an official comment which isn't good because it drew the very attention she is apparently trying to avoid. Some of the strongest feelings I've read suggest she insulted her position by deliberately bucking the convention of wearing a tiara or official order. I don't think for one minute Charlene intended to generate this reaction. IMO she is still on a pretty steep learning curve.

Yes Lee-Z, you hit on an interesting paradox. I think Charlene is tussling with knowing which path to walk. I have never really believed that either she is allergic or has a dislike for jewellery - mainly because I think this would have emerged much earlier, and as others have said, she regularly wore jewellery before her marriage. Her appearance at the Swedish wedding prompted an official comment which isn't good because it drew the very attention she is apparently trying to avoid. Some of the strongest feelings I've read suggest she insulted her position by deliberately bucking the convention of wearing a tiara or official order. I don't think for one minute Charlene intended to generate this reaction. IMO she is still on a pretty steep learning curve.

I find Charlene's decision to not wear jewellery intriguing. If she wore it before she was married, why has she decided now to not wear it, especially to events such as the Swedish wedding where she bucked the convention? It's one thing to adopt the minimalist approach and stick to wearing a few uncomplicated but striking pieces - eg simple diamond earrings and a matching brooch or simple necklace - which I think would enhance her sleek lines in hair and clothing style, and quite another to change from wearing jewellery before her marriage to not wearing it at all, even at occasions where it is expressly invited and indeed expected. There has to be a reason and I want to know what it is.

It's fine to have a unique fashion style and to trod a different path from other princesses, but when you're married to a sovereign prince yet trying to blend in with the wallpaper it does make one wonder what's going on. It's difficult for Charlene, due to her beauty and physical presence, to fade in among the crowd, and lately I've been wondering if she's trying to do just that with her drab, dressed-down look. This in itself is defeating the purpose since she stands out all the more. And when she puts forth a washed-out appearance with a tepid non-color, sans makeup and jewels, as well as previously attending the Swedish royal wedding where a tiara was de rigeuer and she chose not to wear one nor any other jewel, you have to wonder what message she might be trying to convey with the choices she's been making lately.

She may be trying to deflect attention, but her approach is doing just the opposite; it's bringing attention (and negative attention at that) right to her door. I don't wear a lot of jewelry, and don't like big, gaudy pieces, but, at certain occasions, I'll pull out some of the contents of my non-existant jewelry box, and grin and bear it. She could do the same, because let's face it, it's just one day (or more like a couple of hours).

I find Charlene's decision to not wear jewellery intriguing. If she wore it before she was married, why has she decided now to not wear it, especially to events such as the Swedish wedding where she bucked the convention? It's one thing to adopt the minimalist approach and stick to wearing a few uncomplicated but striking pieces - eg simple diamond earrings and a matching brooch or simple necklace - which I think would enhance her sleek lines in hair and clothing style, and quite another to change from wearing jewellery before her marriage to not wearing it at all, even at occasions where it is expressly invited and indeed expected. There has to be a reason and I want to know what it is.

I'm curious too. It's as if she's trying to hide, and maybe feels that not wearing anything too fancy will help her stay hidden. Too bad it has just the opposite effect.

It may have the opposite effect on these boards but I doubt if these boards have much effect on her day to day life and the people she interacts with.

Yes, this thread obviously doesn't bear any weight in Charlene's vast world nor would we presume it would, but we observe and state our opinions which is what a fashion thread is for. Charlene's choices of late do have members understandably buzzing about them.

Last edited:
I find Charlene's decision to not wear jewellery intriguing. ... There has to be a reason and I want to know what it is.

This.:previous:

Last edited by a moderator:
She may be trying to deflect attention, but her approach is doing just the opposite; it's bringing attention (and negative attention at that) right to her door. I don't wear a lot of jewelry, and don't like big, gaudy pieces, but, at certain occasions, I'll pull out some of the contents of my non-existant jewelry box, and grin and bear it. She could do the same, because let's face it, it's just one day (or more like a couple of hours).

I'm curious too. It's as if she's trying to hide, and maybe feels that not wearing anything too fancy will help her stay hidden. Too bad it has just the opposite effect.

Yes, funny how that strategy did not have the desired effect. Wearing the only tiara that she has, the Ocean Tiara would have attracted so much attention because Monaco watchers are waiting to see it worn at a tiara, not a necklace. If she borrowed a tiara worn by Princess Grace, that would have attracted attention too. Going without a tiara made a kerfuffle in the press. She can't win.

Let's not forget that diamond spray tiara also commissioned at the time of Charlene's wedding. If she wore that to Madeleine's wedding, that would have certainly been suitable and a nod to the occasion since Charlene wore it at her own wedding reception. It's delicate and not OTT, yet sparkly enough to have certainly fit the event.

And as a Princess Consort of Monaco, what would be the problem in wearing one of the tiaras worn by Grace; it is her right, isn't it? I think there are several of them that are small enough to suit Charlene's modest tastes if she can ever be persuaded to don one.

Last edited:
Has Princess Charléne not her own jewellery thread?

This is IMO for fashion!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom