Princess Charlene's Fashion and Style Part 7: November 2012 - March 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The coat is nice though the hat is awful.

the Hat is bad but it could be much worse...nice coat though.

I finally figured out why this hat does not compliment Charlene or her outfit.
She is a tall woman with broad shoulders and she has a long angular face with a high forehead. Her coat-dress looks very good on her body-type. It cinches in and flatterers her small waistline and flairs out in attractive pleats. Her broad shoulders do not dominate the outfit. This hat visually cuts off the top half of her head. So we see a smaller version of her face, just the bottom half. With another hat her outfit would have been perfect. It is really elegant and stylish minus the hat. Is this coat-dress Arkris?

What has struck me about both Charlene's outfits today is how both have striking similarities to what Grace wore.

Agreed. Is it just my imagination, or does Charlene look uncomfortable here? Perhaps she realized that she got it "wrong." I do like her top, but she needs evening trousers or a skirt to wear with it rather than these tight skinnies.

Well... Charlene looks great in a fierce 'fashion mag editorial' way in this clinging pantsuit and with her dramatic vamp make up, but this means at the same time that she looks quite wrong for the function and role she's supposed to have.

Charlene in white/creme at the opera as part of the National Day celebrations this evening - nice!

** Full view with coat ** Dress ** Back view **
Quite a disappointment... The dress looks unfinished, like a sample from the pattern cutter before the real work on a gown starts; without any detailing, it's not understated and elegant, but unimaginative and bland.
In all White and Red from her hair to her Snow White make up to her feet, it's also a bit like she's a guest on her way to a posh costume party who decided to come dressed as The Flag of Monaco.
Any detail of interest, particularly jewelry, might have helped, but this is just nondescript. Even the jacket in cream provides no appeal when worn over white - there's neither a contrast nor a match.
Looks like Charlene is wearing the wrong sash of the Order, too - the men's wide version instead of the ladies' narrow one.

Quite a disappointment... The dress looks unfinished, like a sample from the pattern cutter before the real work on a gown starts; without any detailing, it's not understated and elegant, but unimaginative and bland.
In all White and Red from her hair to her Snow White make up to her feet, it's also a bit like she's a guest on her way to a posh costume party who decided to come dressed as The Flag of Monaco.
Any detail of interest, particularly jewelry, might have helped, but this is just nondescript. Even the jacket in cream provides no appeal when worn over white - there's neither a contrast nor a match.
Looks like Charlene is wearing the wrong sash of the Order, too - the men's wide version instead of the ladies' narrow one.

I noticed the sash too, it's clearly too big it's not the female version but why would pa give her the wrong one?

is this an Arkris design again? The lacy coat overwhelms.

I like the dress - simple sophistication. But it needs dressing and a statement necklace would have nailed it. I would have worn a multicoloured semiprecious stone "cascade" but I'm not a princess. It needs a but of zing!

I had no idea about the wearing of the wrong sash so a thank you to the experts but she does have a look about her that says something has gone wrong.

The makeup in some pix (I've been looking at a ll the pix on Getty) emphasises the terror of having made a mistake. too pale and a slash a dark red on the lips.

She is lovely but something is just not gelling. But it is getting better and I do appreciate the risks she is now taking

The navy coat-dress is nice, but the hat just doesn't go with it. I think that particular style would be better for trousers. As for the white dress, it's OK; definitely better than the evening gowns she has chosen recently, but nothing to write home about.

White evening look is absolutely stunning, imo. Love the hair and makeup too. Agree that a multicolor or colored jewled necklace would have been perfection.
The baggy gloves bother me.

The navy coat dress was wonderful, agree with all that the hat was simply awful.

I think Charlene looked great. I think Charlene likes the wider sash and that's what she got. Obviously if they gave her the wrong sash, they would've corrected the error and would have given her the more female verson of the Order.

Charlene and Caroline both looked wonderfully regal in the evening.

But whoever advised Charlene to wear that hat at Mass today is not a friend. Just like the pale pink one yesterday, the navy cap today made her look like a pinhead.

Her shoulders are simply too large and her hair too short and her head too small in relation for her to successfully pull it off.

The white dress is very elegant and sophisticated, however I hate the jacket.

I really like the style of the evening outfit, suits Charlene very well.

Charlene and Caroline both looked wonderfully regal in the evening.

But whoever advised Charlene to wear that hat at Mass today is not a friend. Just like the pale pink one yesterday, the navy cap today made her look like a pinhead.

Her shoulders are simply too large and her hair too short and her head too small in relation for her to successfully pull it off.

Well said about the hat.

However I didn't think Charlene looks anything regal in the evening. The coat is ugly and reminds me of a potato sack. IMO it looks like she is trying to imitate one of Grace's looks, but she lacks the charisma completely.

The white dress is very elegant and sophisticated, however I hate the jacket.
Must be Akris! :eek:

I like the blue coat dress, when I ignore the head. Very nice fabric, the cut suits her well, the length is good. Her posture could be better.

The hat is awful with that dress. It makes her neck short and head small. She looks like one of those mannequin without a head. The one with just the neckstump.

Last edited by a moderator:
Must be Akris! :eek:
Seems the whole evening outfit is Akris, unfortunately.
The dress has odd slits in the top part which hardly show on Charlene because the dress wasn't fitted correctly on her and is a tad too large.
Her gloves, which are baggy as well, seem to be of leather - very odd choice.
The bland gown on the runway:
http://s8.postimage.org/4zg4wnxyt/Bild_76.png

The coat dress looked good on her, but I agree with most posters about the hat, it was ridiculous.

However I didn't think Charlene looks anything regal in the evening. The coat is ugly and reminds me of a potato sack.

Couldn't agree more! The coat looks like a fly screen and the dress is just hanging on her. Don't like the make-up.

I find many people fashionable (so to speak) or dressed nice / appropriate. Charlene is not one of them. She had some nice clothes but, sadly, she has been going down in her fashion choices lately. I don't like what Charlene is wearing lately and I do not find most of her outfits appropriate for occasions she wears them for.

Those are also my feelings. IMO she has some rare highlights in her appearance but most of the time her style is boring, frumpy or inappropriate.

I think she looked really beautiful in the evening, with or without the coat.
Beautiful hair and make-up as well.
The female version of the sash would have been more elegant though IMO.

I also liked her daytime coatdress but I agree with others that the hat was not so good on her. She has a head for hats with wider brims.

... The female version of the sash would have been more elegant though IMO. ...

I wonder what made the male version right for her, width of shoulders, height? You are right, she looks like a lollipop with that huge sash.

The white is okay on her the gloves are a bit of mess they don't even fit properly... but the dress is not sharp on her it's just and average white dress and IMO she should look better than average. The blue look it was nice but she has great trouble with hats and this one is exception it is too far forward it looks odd and derails the outfit .. maybe a wider brim wound be more glam on her with such short hair.
I actually agree with Cinderella comments totally.
She is disappointing and given her resources it is puzzling.

Besides the hair and lipstick, I think she looked good in the white outfit. I do wish she would have kept the gloves on. The hairstyle was a very bad choice, one of the downsides of having such short hair.
I also am not understanding why she insists on that red red lipstick, I know she is a swimmer from Africa and lives in the Mediterranean, but it doesn't go with her complexion.

iceflower said:

Princess Charlene wearing a very elegant dress for this year's National Day in Monaco, November 19, 2012. I would have chosen another hat, but nevertheless she looked lovely:

** Full view ** Upper part ** Upper part 2 **

Woooo! Now that is a fierce look. Great color, great texture, great accessories to heighten the effect of the dress. Only negative is the hat and makeup.

Last edited by a moderator:
This dress is very elegant indeed and the style is very complimentary on Princess Charlene. Not certain about wearing black gloves with a navy dress though. The hat also does not work with this particular look. Overall she does look very lovely.

The red gown is in a good style for her, but then it's totally unimaginative to just use a style which can be found in so many of her day dresses and simply add a mermaid skirt at the bottom to turn it into an evening dress... the fact that once again, she doesn't wear a single accessory to upgrade the look to gala level doesn't help the matter.

During the day in Singapore, she looked perfectly horrid - ugly top, make up gone very wrong, and a hairstyle that makes her appear like Brigitte Nielsen as a Punk Band groupie. This being Monaco or not, IMHO no wife of a reigning monarch should allow herself to be photographed like this.
Upper part:
http://s8.postimage.org/ynjuey939/Screenshot_1.jpg

The red gown is lovely, I like this style on Charlene.

The second pic is horrid indeed, Brigitte Nielson cameo hat her worst!

She's Absolutely looks pretty elegant ,,,, the color very nice & regal ,,, like the dress fish cut style ,,, so good .

Princess Charlene looking great in red at a gala for the Prince Albert Foundation in Singapur on November 29, 2012.

** Full view ** Full view 2 ** Side view **

A very nice gown on Charlene. The color and style work for her. A little jewelry would not have hurt the look, however.

Just plain awful. If one were to look at her wardrobe choices alone, one would wonder if she is aware of her position and the proper attire that is expected for public appearances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom