The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 08:39 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
At the end of the day it was just a dress, love it or hate it that's all it was. No one died. No gunboats were launched. Diplomatic relations were not severed. Trade sanctions were not imposed. It was just a selection of clothing that was apparently not successful. Big deal?!?! The world kept spinning forward.
Well of course not, no one said any of those things. It's a fashion thread.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andolini View Post
Well of course not, no one said any of those things. It's a fashion thread.
I know but the over reaction to a dress has been just as extreme.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I know but the over reaction to a dress has been just as extreme.
I guess it depends on your definition of overreaction. The reaction to the supposed "overreaction" has been just as fierce.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:27 AM
Gentry

Big deal?! Would Madam Obama or Laureen Harper wear such a dress, ever? Would it have caused diplomatic issues? No. It would still be discussed and people horrified about such poor judgement. Charlene is the wife of a head of state who is an absolute monarch. She designed and demanded the country's children wear uniforms. She actually has some power.

With power comes responsibility. A certain decorum is expected. She knew this long ago. She had been attending official events on Albert's arm for more than 8 years when they married. She dressed wonderfully then.

Instead of sacking the old palace guard and bragging on how stubborn she is, she should quickly rehire the staff that guided her before marriage.

Her advisers have some blame (along with web staff). The majority falls to Charlene. She has said in many interviews that she is in control and she will do it her way. She is the person ultimately responsible. She could have worn anything else. Akris' outfits are rarely appropriate for her station.

Where is her loving spouse to protect her reputation. He certainly knows better. Why does he not guide her?

As a former lurker, this white glove approach that some fans have for Charlene is strange. The same persons have no problem calling her sisters names or saying things about their children their lives and fashions. Yet no one must criticize her. Why go to lengths like comparing her to the host when it is not about them? Is being so improperly dressed a competition? If so, The host looks nun like. Had Charlene wore that no one would have blinked.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:29 AM
Courtier

Maybe royal fashion choices are influenced by where a princess lives. Spanish and British princesses are representing and promoting their country's fashion industry and designers. They may choose a designer or fashion house that normally they wouldn't consider.

Monaco does not have a fashion industry or Monegasque fashion houses. Do they? I don't think so. My point is that the jet-set-party-crowd have different aspirations, to see and be seen in Monaco wearing the latest in edgy cutting edge attire. This may be an influence upon Charlene. I mean that she is not surrounded by an older generation of royal relatives that still stick to old school protocol and dress like it too.

I do generally like how Princess Charlene's style is evolving. Her tastes are quite different from Princess Caroline's Chanel choices. Too bad about this dress......

Does anyone remember photos from Princess Grace's trip to Ireland? This was such a long time ago but I remember pictures from that trip and Grace so elegant. I know that this was a different era with hats and gloves and fox fur stoles. Grace did away with mandatory hats at the palace but continued to wear them herself. It seems as if the emphasis on royal fashion way back then was on elegance, proper attire and protocol.

Princess Charlene is still finding her way with haute couture. I hope that she evolves towards elegance and not so much edgy cutting edge choices.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:16 AM
Nobility

Wonder how the other royal ladies in Europe feel about her edgy, risqué choices. Probably the same as everyone here I bet.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:40 AM
Gentry

Charlene has a duty and responsibility to lead, not follow. The type of jet set person who wears a transparent dress is not the type of person Monaco wants to attract. It is also not the type of person the spouse of a head of state, who wants his country to be taken seriously, should aspire to. Charlene's duty is to promote Monaco, not make it into a peep show.

She has had quite a few years, TEN, to evolve her style. Charlene says she wants to bring fashion to Monaco and appears very interested in attending fashion shows. She has access to the best of all. It is time for maturity in her style.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:15 AM
Nobility

From my gathering it's inconsiderate of all these instances where you brand attraction as something not inclusive of the basic primal features we cherish, choose, chase and never prefer to forego, I believe. Why admonish and not concentrate on the possibility that the wealth of beauty is for the taking and perceiving, given that what shouldn't be hidden is part of everyone's right to partaking. Please don't tell me you can't find her attracting. Many have said that and it is hard to follow the rationing that appears unwarranted. Maybe I'm thinking how beautiful she has been and how unafraid she and Grace's son are as examples of what I can't get over... dancing in stars.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:44 AM
Nobility

If it were the first time Charlene had worn something controversial or questionably appropriate, we could regard it as a mistake and move on. The problem is that it is not. The more we see outfits that make us cringe or raise our eyebrows, the more we begin to really question her taste.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:35 AM
Aristocracy

On the site of Myroyals the photo in question doesn't show nearly as much as the larger one that appeared on the Palace Facebook. So, once again, poor lighting in combination with the folding of the fabric, makes for a very unfortunate photo that I think upset the Princess just as much as it did many posters here. To me, she doesn't come across as someone who would wear such an outfit in purpose. See e.g. How she covers up when she's in the pool and "allowed" to show her body.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:29 AM
Royal Highness

Well,if I was in her situation,representing a country at an official event, I would make sure to wear clothes that are not so risky and edgy-just to be on the safer side. At private events, parties, fashion shows etc. she can be cutting edge, but for a state visit it is better to rely on the classics, a well-tailored suit, skirt/blouse ensemble or an elegant dress is always appropriate and pretty.
People often complain about the criticism, but Charléne really has enough resources and time to chose a nice outfit, being presentable is something that is expected if your work in the public eye. As a private person you can wear whatever you like whenever you want, but a Princess or politician who represents his country is expected to be well-dressed at public functions.
I do feel sorry for Charléne and other royal ladies who are constantly judged and criticised for their looks and the clothes they wear,but it is part of the job,there ain´t no way to avoid it. Most actresses and singers are hiring a stylists for important public appearances like award shows or charity events-maybe Charléne should do so too to get better media feedback and avoiding more fashion fauxpas.
. Helen Keller
Old 10-07-2013, 01:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauerengel View Post
Well,if I was in her situation,representing a country at an official event, I would make sure to wear clothes that are not so risky and edgy-just to be on the safer side. At private events, parties, fashion shows etc. she can be cutting edge, but for a state visit it is better to rely on the classics, a well-tailored suit, skirt/blouse ensemble or an elegant dress is always appropriate and pretty.
People often complain about the criticism, but Charléne really has enough resources and time to chose a nice outfit, being presentable is something that is expected if your work in the public eye. As a private person you can wear whatever you like whenever you want, but a Princess or politician who represents his country is expected to be well-dressed at public functions.
I do feel sorry for Charléne and other royal ladies who are constantly judged and criticised for their looks and the clothes they wear,but it is part of the job,there ain´t no way to avoid it. Most actresses and singers are hiring a stylists for important public appearances like award shows or charity events-maybe Charléne should do so too to get better media feedback and avoiding more fashion fauxpas.
I really, really like Charlene - but I gave up trying to explain why I dislike SOME of her fashion choices here, all I get is grief. Over not liking clothes. Good Lord, some people here (not you) need to realize it is just clothing, not her personality, that I am criticizing.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:47 PM
Serene Highness

COUNTESS, I assume you were joking about the Russian woman standing next to Charlene, werent you? It was a bit harsh, dont you think? And a bit offensive. Im not Russian but... I think its o.k. to comment on Charlenes dress harshly since some of us agree that it is hideous but, I dont feel comfortable when comments are made stereotyping ethnicity. Just had to voice my opinion on the matter. Shall we continue...
Old 10-07-2013, 01:56 PM
Royal Highness

I found this photo on twitter

Instagram

Charlène wore already this dress for the Aktis party. We see that this dress has a white lining . It was not transparente.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by melina premiere View Post
I found this photo on twitter

Instagram

Charlène wore already this dress for the Aktis party. We see that this dress has a white lining . It was not transparente.
Maybe it is not transparent, but it is horrible anyway and inappropriate for an event at an official visit. The dress looks even more ugly at this photo.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:07 PM
Serene Highness

Um, still looks like you can see her breasts to me. Even if it does have a lining, the fact that it gives the illusion of being nude is inappropriate. Just my opinion of course but I just dont think a Princess should be wearing something that leaves very little to the imagination. Even if her dresser chose the outfit for her, she could have refused and changed it. I would hope she has a say as to what she wears for goodness sake.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:34 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
COUNTESS, I assume you were joking about the Russian woman standing next to Charlene, werent you? It was a bit harsh, dont you think? And a bit offensive. Im not Russian but... I think its o.k. to comment on Charlenes dress harshly since some of us agree that it is hideous but, I dont feel comfortable when comments are made stereotyping ethnicity. Just had to voice my opinion on the matter. Shall we continue...
Thanks, Lady Gabrielle. I thought the Russian lady was lovely- gorgeous skin, pretty hair, radiant smile, and she was certainly appropriately attired. Her dress looked quite nice, whether it was a designer frock or not, and I believe she would have a rather va-va-voom shape if she took off her furry jacket.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:13 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booing View Post
Harsh for saying that wearing a sheer dress on a state visit was inappropriate? No, it is honesty. A dose of it is due. Charlene has too many people saying yes. Being harsh would be calling her names. She wore the dress and knew beforehand. I see no words that hurt her here.

C4, how could she not know? The dress was worn in front of her. I put the link above. It was sheer then. She wore it straight away. It was sheer in low light, too. She has to take responsibility too. She should and could have said, non! This is not the first time.

She needs new advisors and a new fashion house. Only she can make that happen.
Excuse me, dresses are usually unlined on the runway then they get lined when they're sold, the same applies to Charlene's dress.
I actually happen to have a photo of the same dress available for sale and it's lined, I'll post it later. I just think that the lining wasn't thick enough to prevent the flash lights, but that's very hard for her to determine as she's used to lined dresses. And that for sure is the first time, but maybe you remember another event that you can remind me of?
Old 10-07-2013, 03:28 PM
Gentry

people would better judge her on her actions, what she has achieved, will achieve rather than on her outfits.

Moreover ,why all these unrelenting attacks against her ?? One should choose their words with care.

Princess Charlene must be on her knees at the present time, however I believe in her and in her will to show the rest of the world she can recover and forge ahead. (...)
Old 10-07-2013, 03:32 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by berber princess View Post
people would better judge her on her actions, what she has achieved, will achieve rather than on her outfits.

Moreover ,why all these unrelenting attacks against her ?? One should choose their words with care.

Princess Charlene must be on her knees at the present time, however I believe in her and in her will to show the rest of the world she can recover and forge ahead. (...)
Please look at the title of this thread: Charlene's FASHION AND STYLE. We are giving AN OPINION ON A DRESS, NOT HER. Who is attacking her? Many of us have said we adore her, at least I do. Of course we should look at what she achieves, but this thread is a fashion thread for the millionth time. I don't like her dress, people need to get a grip. I believe in her too, but people need to chill out about us not liking an article of clothing.

Tags
princess charlene, princess charlene daytime fashion, princess charlene eveningwear, princess charlene fashion, princess charlene outfits, princess charlenes style