The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 04:32 AM
Courtier

Oh for goodness sake, I do not think she looked tacky at all. It was a lovely designer gown. Furthermore we are women. Of course we must show off a bit of cleavage once in a while. That is why we have it. As long it is done in a tasteful way and in a tasteful and classic gown. In any case, I am certain Albert would not have allowed Charlene to wear this gown if it was offensive. The only criticism I do have is that she wore no jewellry to compliment the gown.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisiesforever View Post
Oh for goodness sake, I do not think she looked tacky at all. It was a lovely designer gown. Furthermore we are women. Of course we must show off a bit of cleavage once in a while. That is why we have it. As long it is done in a tasteful way and in a tasteful and classic gown. In any case, I am certain Albert would not have allowed Charlene to wear this gown if it was offensive. The only criticism I do have is that she wore no jewellry to compliment the gown.
That gown revealing quite a bit was not done in a tasteful way IMO.
As a Princess or wife of a head of state/country you name it, I personally think there are things you should not wear and that dress was one of them.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:53 AM
Serene Highness

i want that title

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I oh my call the Princess police. .
that would be a fun job...im here to watch what you say how you dress and your manner and watch out!!! if you mess up cause i have my handle ruler and smack smack on the hand if you mess up..
what is the opinion of what is to much cleavage -to the nips? imo if you are large breasted you cant wear what a small breasted women can wear.
also all of us dress for our mates but we do that in private why show the world what you have and what your hubby sees in private? imo its done for attention not good attention but just plan attention imo i think there is a rival btwn two camps..one for charlene dress and kate style of dress-am i wrong in this view? i also think one has a title of best dress where as both were put on that list but one ahead of the other by a number of people but imo princess mary, clare, and a lot of others should have been on this list before a certain person...am i wrong in this view? i also think that a certain person would have like to be on the top of that list and not close to the bottom of that list-am i wrong?
of course my view is just that but i would like to hear other opinions
Old 08-19-2011, 10:25 AM
Aristocracy

In regards to French history....I have also read that at the French Court it was the trend to wear gowns that exposed the breasts with a sheer cover over them so you could see any piercings done to the nipples (to show off the jeweled rings).

The French Court was notorious for being scandalous for various reasons.

MM
Old 08-19-2011, 10:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smush View Post
I got the feeling that Charlene loves to wear tops and dresses without a bra.
Am I mistaken?!

I found this dress uggly and non appropriate, I start to fear that Stephanie is advising her in her fashion choices
Old 08-19-2011, 01:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphoenyx View Post
I have been an avid reader of anything concerning past fashions and clothes, and I never heard of something like that... I know that there was a lot of cleavage exposure some times, but they didn't go as far as to show the breasts themselves!
Oh, I believe they did! Search out a copy of R.E. Pritchard’s book Shakespeare's England.

As late as the 1960s, designers were turning out topless dresses...that's where the term "topless" arose.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:31 PM
Serene Highness

Just my opinion, but I think vulgarity is often in the eye of the beholder. Let's be honest, in some countries women wear their faces covered in modesty and in some other cultures they go stark nekkid except for a few leaves. For her age, size and where she resides Charlene does not look vulgar. I think it's a mistake to tack a cultural bias on something as small as this. When her "girls" are literally falling out of her dress I will speak my mind about it, but that hasn't happened. I have seen pictures of both Diana (young) and the Duchess of Cornwell (much older) showing very much more cleavage than Charlene did in that dress.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:41 PM
Nobility

This dress was much more revealing than any low cut dress other
royals might have worn.

I was totally embrassed even looking at the photos, felt very
bad for her.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:56 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlottestreasures View Post
This dress was much more revealing than any low cut dress other
royals might have worn.

I was totally embrassed even looking at the photos, felt very
bad for her.
You shouldn´t feel bad. Charlene has no sense of style, even with the help of Armani or KL. Maybe in several years she knows better.

To be a legend, you've either got to be dead or excessively old!
Christopher Lee
Old 08-19-2011, 02:55 PM
Courtier

She likes it and obviously Prince Albert likes it!
Just like other dresses we argue about.
WE certainly won't change their minds about fashion.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't recall Diana wearing any cleavage baring dress except for the first black Emmanuel's dress in 1981. But I have seen Camilla showing off her cleavage and she looked surprisingly good doing it. She was definitely showing more than Charlene who is baring showing any boobage. I swear some people think that just because she is married to Albert she has to wear buttoned up shirts to her chin, and long skirts to her ankles. She is much less tacky than her sisters in law and her husband who dresses boring but acts like a frat boy.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 08-19-2011, 10:51 PM
Serene Highness

and why the questions into french clothing are you looking to excuse her cleavage display? because there really isnt a good reason for it and i dont pity her because she has princess caroline to help her in the dress and grooming area..imo
Old 08-19-2011, 11:45 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I don't recall Diana wearing any cleavage baring dress except for the first black Emmanuel's dress in 1981. But I have seen Camilla showing off her cleavage and she looked surprisingly good doing it. She was definitely showing more than Charlene who is baring showing any boobage. I swear some people think that just because she is married to Albert she has to wear buttoned up shirts to her chin, and long skirts to her ankles. She is much less tacky than her sisters in law and her husband who dresses boring but acts like a frat boy.
When I made my post to that effect I was referring Diana's first dress, although I happened to think she looked lovely but a bit naive ....and she was young. Camilla OTOH has worn some truly low cut boobage baring gowns, which especially for her age are just not appropriate. Charlene really easn't exhibiting that much just because there was a deep V in the dressing she was not falling out of it in any way. Another can't win situation, either boring or not boring enough.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

there are photos of princess Charlene attending with the prince Albert the festivities of the nautic center, yerterday evening, they are on the purepeople site,
You can begin an another comments series.
Charlene looks very well, I like her dress, i notice you that the weather is very hot at the south of France and we must be very well in our clothes
Old 08-20-2011, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Here you are: Princess Charlene attending the anniversary of the Stade Nautique Rainier III on August 19,
wearing a white dress with pearls on the top part, a kind of a greek style, a bit too shoulder-accentuating,
but I find it nice nevertheless.

** Full view **
Old 08-20-2011, 01:16 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Some more
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-sr3rKTlVS3...25281%2529.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-qLrXNcjFtk...on-637x0-3.jpg

A pretty dress (? - or are these wide legged pants) although not liking the cut of the neckline. Much improved look on Charlene incl hair.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:41 PM
Majesty

I like the dress,nothing special.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
When I made my post to that effect I was referring Diana's first dress, although I happened to think she looked lovely but a bit naive ....and she was young. Camilla OTOH has worn some truly low cut boobage baring gowns, which especially for her age are just not appropriate. Charlene really easn't exhibiting that much just because there was a deep V in the dressing she was not falling out of it in any way. Another can't win situation, either boring or not boring enough.
The black strapless gown Diana wore just appeared to big imo and that is the only problem I had with it. If that shot of her getting out of the car hadn't been taken I don't think many people would have had such an reaction. In all honesty a shot like that could have occurred with any dress that didn't start at the neck. She had a shawl I believe, and I always wish that she had had the forethought to wrap it around her chest/shoulders before getting out of the car. But I highly doubt she at 19 would have even thought of that.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 08-20-2011, 10:21 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fürstin Taxis View Post
You shouldn´t feel bad. Charlene has no sense of style, even with the help of Armani or KL. Maybe in several years she [will] know(s) better.
That is rather mean-spirited.. Charlene is open about the fact that fashion isn't something that comes naturally too her. And, yes, she is still working on it, but at least she is trying: and working on having a style of her uniquely hers, rather than being lazy like many Hollywood stars and society people, who let stylists do all the work.

Personally, I believe that if Grace Kelly weren't her mother-in-law, and Caroline her sister-in-law, Charlene wouldn't be so beat up in this topic. Many royals are frumpy, unfashionable, and don't care about looking nice. Yet, Charlene can never win: she's too conversative, too glamourous, too safe, too tacky, too something always.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:21 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade
Some more
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-sr3rKTlVS3...25281%2529.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-qLrXNcjFtk...on-637x0-3.jpg

A pretty dress (? - or are these wide legged pants) although not liking the cut of the neckline. Much improved look on Charlene incl hair.
Hmmmm I think they're pants , as a dress it's ok but as pants ugh! .....but overall better then the black thing

Closed Thread