Princess Caroline's Fashion & Style, Part 2: July 2010 - May 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks An. I think Caroline has always had this head carriage, problably due to her intensive ballet training as a girl and maybe her mother's insisting that a princess should always be taller than everybody else, which is why Princess Grace wore weird turbans and hats, big, high chignons, especially when she felt other stars might steal the show from her. (cf. Jackie Kennedy) (Just relating what I read).

Jaya, Renata, I see that we are all thinking along the same lines by quoting Matisse. (see my 8/8 post in Red Cross thread). Caroline seems to go back to her Mediterranean roots by making strong graphic and colorful style statements and her predilection for contemporary artists is well-known.

Thank you, iloveroyals. I see your point, it makes perfect sense. Very interesting piece of information about Princess Grace.

Not to get too off-topic, but Princess Grace's choices of gowns in her later life did partly reflect the fashions of the time (boho, hippie, flowy and loose). (Even Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis sucked at wearing boho chic. And Jackie was good at finding figure flattering fashion all her life.) Plus, she is documented as being on the very conservative side of fashion (per "Grace Kelly: Style Icon").

But I do agree Grace's fashion styles didn't do her any favors. Caroline might might mistakes, but she still dresses quite appropriately for her age.

I don't know how old many of the posters are here on this thread but I would have to say, that for her time Grace Kelly was considered VERY chic and fashion forward and always in excellent taste. I think we need to be careful and not place present day preferences on fashions of 50+ years ago.

:previous: They are not talking about 50+ years ago. They are talking about 30 years ago, early 1980's, before Princess Grace died at 53 yo in 1982.

Thank you, iloveroyals. I see your point, it makes perfect sense. Very interesting piece of information about Princess Grace.

I think your question requires a more in-depth explanation, which I cannot give by myself. I wonder about how much training Caroline got as a young princess (apart from ballet) to look way up and flash a smile, until it became second nature. Much of it is innate, if you look at childhood pictures. It is also true that even though she is shorter than Charlene, she appears taller, just because of her head position (it makes others look like turtles). I wonder how much of it is due to illusion. When photographed one way, her neck makes that triangular shape I talked about, but when facing the photographer, she has a long neck. Does she, like many actresses, know what her best side is? She is a marvel for fashion and style photographers (like the late Helmut Newton), more so than her sister who posed for her bathing suit company and the publicity pictures when she was a singer and almost always seems uncomfortable and stiff.

This does not mean Caroline is unique or really special or anything like that. As far as smiles go among royalty, Princess Mathilde's smile makes me melt everytime. (But like many people apparently, and princesses in particular, especially the tall ones, she has bad posture, which detracts from her allure). I also think that some crown princesses (Victoria among others) have great style, notwithstanding the occasional miss that happens to anybody, especially when you have to have such an abundant wardrobe.

Thank you for picking my brain!

I think your question requires a more in-depth explanation, which I cannot give by myself. I wonder about how much training Caroline got as a young princess (apart from ballet) to look way up and flash a smile, until it became second nature. Much of it is innate, if you look at childhood pictures. It is also true that even though she is shorter than Charlene, she appears taller, just because of her head position (it makes others look like turtles). I wonder how much of it is due to illusion. When photographed one way, her neck makes that triangular shape I talked about, but when facing the photographer, she has a long neck. Does she, like many actresses, know what her best side is? She is a marvel for fashion and style photographers (like the late Helmut Newton), more so than her sister who posed for her bathing suit company and the publicity pictures when she was a singer and almost always seems uncomfortable and stiff.

This does not mean Caroline is unique or really special or anything like that. As far as smiles go among royalty, Princess Mathilde's smile makes me melt everytime. (But like many people apparently, and princesses in particular, especially the tall ones, she has bad posture, which detracts from her allure). I also think that some crown princesses (Victoria among others) have great style, notwithstanding the occasional miss that happens to anybody, especially when you have to have such an abundant wardrobe.

Caro is the the true aristocrat and she appears taller than Charlene because of aspects of what she wears and her physical appearance expressing a "theoretical" height and grandeur about them.Caro is never static... in what she wears. It is always exciting different and impressively chic even if classic.

Somehow, I always end up in the minority, so here goes anyway.
I looked at The FashionSpot, Caroline de Monaco thread, p 13, post 185 by KKrardi, you click and get big pictures. I was once again blown away by Caroline's gown. How about we say, Caroline could wrap herself in drapes (or a tablecloth) and she'd still look gorgeous. (Think Scarlett O'Hara in Gone with the Wind, when she takes down the curtains to make herself a dress. Wouldn't Caroline have made a beautiful Scarlett? ) Anyway, the business about wrapping anything around her and coming out a winner is nonsense and perhaps, color-deprived as I am where I live, I'll fly to colors like a moth to the light. But the large pictures from TFS showed (to me) how queenly Caroline can be. Have you noticed how long her neck is (by way of looking way up, partly), and how the bolero gives her that Cruella look in The 101 Dalmatians? (Structure around the neck is a way of marking authority, which is why until fairly recently, men's shirts' collars had to be starched to emphasize the head, and the starch forced them to carry themselves in the grand manner). I love the little frill around the bolero, I love how it's yet another pattern from the rest. That gold and blue reminds me of the Madonnas in Renaissance paintings, or is even reminiscent of ecclesiastical clothing, which I think the bolero emphasizes too. And the fabric has to be silk, so smooth, so soft, almost snake-like. You can feel the texture in the pictures, (Charlene's gown's fabric seems harsh by comparison), it just begs to be touched. But Caroline had a shizophrenic idea about what she wanted to convey: both the power that's left to her, and an amused look on the group they form, or the state of Monaco as it is now. Hence the polka dot side (which she did wear at a circus festival, do you remember?), a wry way of saying, not "life is a dream" but "life is a circus, my sister was right, and I am joining the bandwagon".

Thank you iloveroyals for this excellent post. It was the most sentitive insight of P. Caroline's dress i've read so far. I confess, i didn't get to like the dress any better, but i can't resist the originality of your analysis. It's a totally different approach and it gives us a rather profound reading of the dress. I loved it!!! Unfortunately i can't say the same about the dress itself. But i adored your post! :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:

My pleasure, iloveroyals. And another great post of yours! :flowers:
Considering that Caroline has been photographed since she was born - literally -, I do believe she has certainly learned how to look her best when posing: right angles, better position, good lightening and so on. Add to this her training as princess, the ballet and the fact that the 'camera loves her' - using jargon of photographers to refer to a photogenic person- et... voilá!
As for appearing taller than Charlene, I wouldn't credit it just to her head position, but also to her good posture while being photographed. Charlene has a bad posture, she puts her shoulders forward and down, if you know what I mean.
I fully understand your point that Caroline is not unique or really special or anything like that. Yes, she is just like any of us. But in some way she is special. Otherwise, we wouldn´t be here, would we? :) As for her style, I used to love it: pure glamour, beauty, suitability, etc. But for some time now, oh, well.... It is not like it used to be. I would say more miss than hit, unfortunately...

By the way, as I said before, Caroline's dress at last Red Cross Ball was beautiful. But I really would prefer her to wear somehing more glamourous, attractive... As before...
Oh, Lord!... I'm afraid I'm getting nostalgic...

Last edited by a moderator:
She does have a looong neck and I too noticed she always holds her head high. A sign of self confidence I think.

For me personally I happen to think that Caro is the most elegant and sophisticated of many Princesses.True she appeared at this ball not as was usually anticipated but looking quite tribal. However she is one of the few that can carry such a thing off.. and do it well...Caro was chic.. I liked her gown.

:previous: They are not talking about 50+ years ago. They are talking about 30 years ago, early 1980's, before Princess Grace died at 53 yo in 1982.

Sorry, I guess I didn't realize that she had lost her style and become frumpy after her marriage. I did recall that she gained a good bit of weight but then, when she was first in films she was considered very very thin, especially compared to the very voluptuous stars of that time.

Africa and its culture is the theme of the dance of the Red Cross 2011.caroline with her dress has inspired it
and also the choice of the designer Duro Olowu.

Yes I agree MRSJ totally ugly the Obama smock is well ...frightening ....I would not race out and look at Duro designs.

He hasn't got a Wikipedia article - only a red link - so he can't be much good :))

Africa and its culture is the theme of the dance of the Red Cross 2011.caroline with her dress has inspired it
and also the choice of the designer Duro Olowu.

I didn't realize Africa was the theme of the ball. That wa a nice nod to Charlene's heritage. I guess it makes sense for Caroline to wear a dress like that then.

Caro is the the true aristocrat and she appears taller than Charlene because of aspects of what she wears and her physical appearance expressing a "theoretical" height and grandeur about them.Caro is never static... in what she wears. It is always exciting different and impressively chic even if classic.

I'd agree with you except for the "always". Nobody is 'always" and "Never say "never". Can we allow her to make mistakes once in a while or is that a crime of "lese-majeste"?

Thank you iloveroyals for this excellent post. It was the most sentitive insight of P. Caroline's dress i've read so far. I confess, i didn't get to like the dress any better, but i can't resist the originality of your analysis. It's a totally different approach and it gives us a rather profound reading of the dress. I loved it!!! Unfortunately i can't say the same about the dress itself. But i adored your post! :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:

Thanks, I got carried away. I write so fast I use words which with a little thinking could be changed into better words. "Shizophrenic" is one of them. I didn't mean that Caroline was not in control, quite the reverse. I think she wanted to express a mood that was deliberately dual, (or triple?) and meant to convey different things, with a nod here and a nod there. And for all I know, how can we know all the nods and winks? They might be the equivalent of insider jokes. Certainly, she didn't want to compete with Charlene on her level, and I admire that. I know my reaction is very personal in its intensity and has nothing to do with "Caroline will always surprise us", "Caroline is never static", "Caroline has her classic style and her fantasy style", "Caroline is the only one who can pull it off". Her gown to me feels like water running through a river of gold in an enchanted garden, not necessarily wild, but filled with cultural references. It's like a puzzle to take apart and reconstruct.
This being said, it says nothing about appropriateness, being well-cut, well-styled, etc. Do you remember the designers of the Surrealist period, like Elsa Shapirelli (sp?). They're both awful and awesome to me. Fascinating and "nothing I'd want to wear, thank you very much!"

My pleasure, iloveroyals. And another great post of yours! :flowers:
Considering that Caroline has been photographed since she was born - literally -, I do believe she has certainly learned how to look her best when posing: right angles, better position, good lightening and so on. Add to this her training as princess, the ballet and the fact that the 'camera loves her' - using jargon of photographers to refer to a photogenic person- et... voilá!
As for appearing taller than Charlene, I wouldn't credit it just to her head position, but also to her good posture while being photographed. Charlene has a bad posture, she puts her shoulders forward and down, if you know what I mean.
I fully understand your point that Caroline is not unique or really special or anything like that. Yes, she is just like any of us. But in some way she is special. Otherwise, we wouldn´t be here, would we? :) As for her style, I used to love it: pure glamour, beauty, suitability, etc. But for some time now, oh, well.... It is not like it used to be. I would say more miss than hit, unfortunately...

By the way, as I said before, Caroline's dress at last Red Cross Ball was beautiful. But I really would prefer her to wear somehing more glamourous, attractive... As before...
Oh, Lord!... I'm afraid I'm getting nostalgic...

Right on, an. I am very nostalgic too. We can look at the old threads of the balls to wallow in well-deserved nostalgia, with Prince Rainier and Princess Grace so proud of her, always. From her age 15 to about age 30 when I lost track of her for some years, I thought Caroline was God's gift to women (style-wise at least). I didn't even care for Princess Diana. Caroline was Modern Princess incarnate. Then something happened. I didn't like her interviews, I thought she showed poor judgment while being very judgmental, self-righteous, angry, prissy, and I won't mention half of it. I even started admiring Diana's style, in the five years before she died. Were I one generation or two younger, I'd have other favorites. I adore Princess Mathilde, I am very fond of Victoria. I used to like Rania a lot, but not anymore. My taste has not remained static, but yes, I am here on the Monaco Forums for a reason, you got that right, and I try to balance my negative reactions with the positive.

:previous: iloveroyals, I could say that you took the words right out of my mouth about Princess Caroline - nowadays and in the past -, but it wouldn´t be exact. First, you express yourself way better than me and 2 I am not as knowledgeable about her as you seem to be. If you ever feel like sharing your knowledge with us, it would be great!

:previous: iloveroyals, I could say that you took the words right out of my mouth about Princess Caroline - nowadays and in the past -, but it wouldn´t be exact. First, you express yourself way better than me and 2 I am not as knowledgeable about her as you seem to be. If you ever feel like sharing your knowledge with us, it would be great!

an, you do me too much honor. I certainly don't write as well as I'd want to and am always afraid I can across as overbearing and making sweeping pronouncements the way I feel some members do, detracting from the content of their posts. For example, I hope my like or dislike of a style of Caroline's does not convey the message that you're an idiot if you disagree or one has to be really provincial not to understand Her Highness's always creative side. There are posters who have been around for years and have never, never uttered one criticism, either of Caroline or Charlotte or both. You know who you are, and I am too old for this kind of idolatry.

As far as being knowledgeable, I admit I started following the Princess very closely from the time she was 12 and I collected photos and clippings, etc, and I had things pretty much memorized. That's in my history somewhere on some thread. She was a great source of inspiration and a trigger for my imagination. If TRF ever creates a library or anything like that, there may come a time when I'd gladly donate all my materials for future researchers, people who want to write a biography and what not. I move my albums and boxes from closets to garage to attic to storage units, and I am proud to say I've never lost anything of the Monaco family in several decades of moving. (from the U.S to France and back, several times.)

I've been with TRF a long time now and cannot begin to tell how I have enjoyed the experience, so I'd like to do something in return. I wish TRF a really long life, too! I am not dying or anything, you just bring back sweet memories of a girl's crush on the Princess by the Sea, la Demoiselle du Rocher as Point de Vue used to call her: what a splendid title that would make for a book!

Oh, an, there are a lot of brilliant writers on the forums, especially in historical threads where the standards seem very high (thank you Warren),and I try to learn from them; they're concise, intelligent, witty, imaginative. Friends and their writings are what makes visiting TRF so worthwhile.

you just bring back sweet memories of a girl's crush on the Princess by the Sea, la Demoiselle du Rocher as Point de Vue used to call her: what a splendid title that would make for a book!
I have never come across this reference to Caroline - it's a wonderful representation of her (particularly in French.) As I read your post I was thinking great title for Caroline's biography & you took the words out of my mouth:)

I have never come across this reference to Caroline - it's a wonderful representation of her (particularly in French.) As I read your post I was thinking great title for Caroline's biography & you took the words out of my mouth:)

It was used in the plural to refer to Caroline and Stephanie, hence, "Les Demoiselles du Rocher". (I am sure as a reference to the very popular Demy movie, "Les Demoiselles de Rochefort", director of the equally successful "Les Parapluies de Cherbourg", both with Deneuve and her sister Francoise Dorleac).
I agree that such an expression gives an air of far-away land and mystery, sort of "The mists of Avalon" with the island...I think a lot of us are hoping a biography will come out one day...

an, you do me too much honor. I certainly don't write as well as I'd want to and am always afraid I can across as overbearing and making sweeping pronouncements the way I feel some members do, detracting from the content of their posts. For example, I hope my like or dislike of a style of Caroline's does not convey the message that you're an idiot if you disagree or one has to be really provincial not to understand Her Highness's always creative side. There are posters who have been around for years and have never, never uttered one criticism, either of Caroline or Charlotte or both. You know who you are, and I am too old for this kind of idolatry.

As far as being knowledgeable, I admit I started following the Princess very closely from the time she was 12 and I collected photos and clippings, etc, and I had things pretty much memorized. That's in my history somewhere on some thread. She was a great source of inspiration and a trigger for my imagination. If TRF ever creates a library or anything like that, there may come a time when I'd gladly donate all my materials for future researchers, people who want to write a biography and what not. I move my albums and boxes from closets to garage to attic to storage units, and I am proud to say I've never lost anything of the Monaco family in several decades of moving. (from the U.S to France and back, several times.)

I've been with TRF a long time now and cannot begin to tell how I have enjoyed the experience, so I'd like to do something in return. I wish TRF a really long life, too! I am not dying or anything, you just bring back sweet memories of a girl's crush on the Princess by the Sea, la Demoiselle du Rocher as Point de Vue used to call her: what a splendid title that would make for a book!

Oh, an, there are a lot of brilliant writers on the forums, especially in historical threads where the standards seem very high (thank you Warren),and I try to learn from them; they're concise, intelligent, witty, imaginative. Friends and their writings are what makes visiting TRF so worthwhile.

Very well deserved honor: You write really well, you are knowledgeable and your posts are insightful, clever, realistic. I do enjoy reading them. Criticism is important, the 'bad guy and good guy' cliché is too - uhh - narrow, tacky, IMO. And yes, same here: 'I am too old for this kind of idolatry'. Oh, well... Getting nostalgic again, I'm afraid...

As for your materials: amazing! And I do hope they come out to light some day soon! Have you ever considered writing 'La Demoiselle du Rocher'? You should, I bet it would be great!

Very well deserved honor: You write really well, you are knowledgeable and your posts are insightful, clever, realistic. I do enjoy reading them. Criticism is important, the 'bad guy and good guy' cliché is too - uhh - narrow, tacky, IMO. And yes, same here: 'I am too old for this kind of idolatry'. Oh, well... Getting nostalgic again, I'm afraid...

As for your materials: amazing! And I do hope they come out to light some day soon! Have you ever considered writing 'La Demoiselle du Rocher'? You should, I bet it would be great!

Thank you again. As far as an author for the biography of Princess Caroline (sorry to be off topic), I picture someone who is well-acquainted with the family, non-partisan, if that's imaginable, and a professional writer. None of which I am. The early versions of her biography seemed well-researched and well-written, if not brilliantly so.

Princess Caroline at a photo exhibition in Monaco on 6 September, 2011,
I think we've seen the dress before, but can't remember when, I like the
look altogether!

** Full view ** Upper part ** Shoes ** Bag **

Princess Caroline at a photo exhibition in Monaco on 6 September, 2011,
I think we've seen the dress before, but can't remember when, I like the
look altogether!

** Full view ** Upper part ** Shoes ** Bag **

I don't remember having seen that dress before, she looks nice in it. The whole ensemble it's quite colourful and makes her look cheerful.
:flowers: :flowers: :flowers:

Altough i'm note sure about the cut / shape of the dress... But, voilà, againanother shade of blue!!! :photo: :photo: :photo:

Princess Caroline attended the Montblanc 'Collection Princesse Grace de Monaco' World
Premiere presentation on September 8, 2011 in Monaco, wearing an evening gown in
white and silver.

I like the upper part better than the rest, the earrings and hairstyle are great.

** Full view ** Upper part ** Close up **

Are those the very same earrings she wore in NYC in November 2011 at the Princess grace gala?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom