Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For me personally, they look brown and I assume this was Meghan choosing a shoe to tie in her brown bag and not compete with the skirt, but obviously I'm not her stylist.

As for the colour combinations. After perusing all the getty pics, to me it looks like a green and off white combo, with matching tan brown bag and shoes. I am not seeing the orange tbh.

I agree, I thought she was going for shoes that went with her handbag-reddish or orangey brown.
In a couple later posts, the color was described as chestnut or copper. It might also be described as saddle brown.

Last edited:
Regarding the outfit, I loved the skirt and the shoes....the top not so much.

Regarding Meghan's hair...when she does these messy buns I am thinking she is doing them herself with no stylist. Maybe on the way to the event in the car? Like the initial plan was to wear it out and straight and because of the wind and rain she put her hair up?

Evolving door...when you mention chemicals..I assume you are referring to constant hair drying and/or hot curling irons. I don't think Meghan perms her hair. But yes I can imagine that the constant washing, drying and heat on her hair could have damaged it while working on Suits. That why a lot of women of color who are in the entertainment industry were weaves, wigs, and hair pieces. Think Beyonce, Viola Davis, Queen Latifah, etc.

Like Meghan...its going to take a while for her hair to adjust. I know it sounds silly but my fellow women (of all races but specifically woman such as myself who are African American)...it is possible for your hair to have a mind of is own when it comes to different temperatures. I am originally from the DC area and would wear my hair out 9 to 12 months of the year. During the hot summer months, it was back in a bun with a lot of gel. I now live in SE Alaska (Juneau to be exact) and we get more rain than Seattle! And now I wear a bun with a lot of gel six months out of the year.

I think once Meghan gets into her groove with her engagements, her styled and her hair will make the necessary adjustments. I imagine her hair had a big adjustment from California to Toronto and now to England.

No, not blowdryers or hair strightners. Meghan hair is naturally kinky (or very curly), unless she uses a strightner everyday or other day, she most likely - for many years now I would assume as she seems to keep during holidays too according to pics- does a long term straightening (there’s many names to it, Japanese, Brazilian, Keratin, so forth).

in order to cause the hair to pretty much “die”(mainly because hair is already dead) and lose all natural volume and shape a chemical (whose name in English escapes me) is used.
It pretty much demadges the hair, hence why you have to take extra special care and love to your hair.

I have seen horror stories about this being done wrongly, you can literally lose batches of hair, falling off, leaving parts of your head with bald patches. Not pleasant or pretty.

The good part about it is that you don’t have to use blowdryers and heat straighteners because the hair is always straight.
Bad part: you killed your hair.

When done over a long period of time, like when oxidizing your hair to turn it blond, it could and often does ruin your natural curls. So even if she’s stopped using those chemicals her roots may be far too demadged, so any new sections will not look as her original hair did. She’s may end up with a far less curly hair. It to mention it can take months if not years for her roots to repair any damage done to them- if at all.

When done over a long period of time, like when oxidizing your hair to turn it blond, it could and often does ruin your natural curls. So even if she’s stopped using those chemicals her roots may be far too demadged, so any new sections will not look as her original hair did. She’s may end up with a far less curly hair. It to mention it can take months if not years for her roots to repair any damage done to them- if at all.

Is this only the case if one uses Brazillians or Keratin treatments?

Because I had a relaxer for 20+ years and then I cut off a lot of hair and went natural and though it took a few months for my actual curl pattern to show up in my new growth, it finally did and it looks just like my baby pics. No root damage from what I can see.

And chemical relaxers are more harsh than Brazillian/Keratin treatments.

I suspect that if Meghan decided to go natural, her curl pattern would return eventually in her new growth.

Last edited:
I hope Meghan is able to keep part of herself in her royal style - hair and all.

Loved yesterday’s outfit. I liked the Commonwealth outfit okay - I wasn’t a fan of the “princessy” coat except in color. Loved the dress and heels though and adored the beret.

The way some reacted to her Commonwealth outfit with praise did make me realize that some have a notion of what royals are “supposed” to wear and are happiest when Meghan toes that line. Whereas I’m happiest when she sticks to her style but elevated it so it works in royal settings, which I think Meghan has done well.

Maybe this latest outfit is evidence of her bridging that gap between her style and royal style.

Exactly this FashionMaven! You and I are on the same page. There appears to be an accepted royal "uniform" of brightly colored dresses, matching fitted coats, and moderately high heels. I prefer Meghan's style of mixing separates in a more neutral color palette. To me, it's more contemporary and I'm excited to see her take on royal style. I really liked the Belfast outfit though I thought the VB sweater was the weak link. It didn't add much to the outfit. The overall look was still consistent with Meghan's style with a bit more color. Maybe that's the happy medium.

Exactly this FashionMaven! You and I are on the same page. There appears to be an accepted royal "uniform" of brightly colored dresses, matching fitted coats, and moderately high heels.

I completely agree. It didn't click for me until the Commonwealth outfit that this was what was happening. I suspected it based on some of the trends I saw here and on other threads but that confirmed it.

At the very least, knowing this helps put some of the criticism we've seen for Meghan's outfits in the past - when they don't line up to the "royal uniform" handed down from I-have-no-idea-lol.

I prefer Meghan's style of mixing separates in a more neutral color palette. To me, it's more contemporary and I'm excited to see her take on royal style. I really liked the Belfast outfit though I thought the VB sweater was the weak link. It didn't add much to the outfit. The overall look was still consistent with Meghan's style with a bit more color. Maybe that's the happy medium.

We totally agree! I do think her take on royal fashion is much more contemporary. I really hope she doesn't start wearing the "uniform" - I'd like to see what HER style means as a royal. Not a royal style that hasn't evolved past the 1990s.

Besides the too long pants in too thin material, the other things have quickly become iconic - the brown hat (which I loved once I realized it was a beret style and I LOVE berets and a hard rigid beret is super cute - she's done it twice now - I love how she's plumbing that aspect of hat style because we don't see it much and it's SO chic), the coats (even though over sized - but that's a particular style aesthetic - you either get it or you don't), and her tone on tone dressing with neutrals.

I also didn't think the sweater was quite right either - but just in color - I was okay with the shape of it, etc.. It would have been super nice to see her do some modern color blocking instead of using ivory - like even in camel... or an actual colorblocked sweater that had camel cream and that same green... that would have been awesome if she could find it and still within her aesthetic.

But honestly with those GORGEOUS shoes I can easily forgive the sweater.

I don't think it's that folks don't 'get it'...they just don't care for that particular style of oversize or bathrobe style coat. There's only been 2 I didn't care for, the white engagement coat and the one from Ireland.

I thought her outfit in Ireland was a nice mix of her usual monochromatic neutral and more interesting color/style. Shoe and skirt added the, IMO, needed touch to elevate her look. Sorry but the monochromatic neutral gets boring regardless if it's considered contemporary.

I am hoping we see a repeat of both shoe/skirt.

LaRae

I don't think it's that folks don't 'get it'...they just don't care for that particular style of oversize or bathrobe style coat. There's only been 2 I didn't care for, the white engagement coat and the one from Ireland.

I thought her outfit in Ireland was a nice mix of her usual monochromatic neutral and more interesting color/style. Shoe and skirt added the, IMO, needed touch to elevate her look. Sorry but the monochromatic neutral gets boring regardless if it's considered contemporary.

I am hoping we see a repeat of both shoe/skirt.

LaRae

When I said "get it" I meant - you either respect it as an architectural style aesthetic or you don't (meaning you don't even realize it's a style aesthetic that's being presented with a pretty extensive history in fashion and instead think she bought a coat that was several sizes too big when that's kinda the point :lol:).

We've seen both in this thread - I'm speaking more about the latter.

And awwwww - I loved the white coat from the engagement!

When I said "get it" I meant - you either respect it as an architectural style aesthetic or you don't (meaning you don't even realize it's a style aesthetic that's being presented with a pretty extensive history in fashion and instead think she bought a coat that was several sizes too big when that's kinda the point :lol:).

Ah gotcha! I realize it's a style...it's just I reject it as a architectural style ...it's like anti-architectural! :D

I like the color and the detail on the white engagement coat but that hang off of you looking a couple sizes too big is sloppy to me. Harry needs new pants too! His were all kinds of baggy in Ireland!! :lol:

LaRae

Lol. I think we can all agree that Harry's wardrobe still needs work. The Belfast pants felt like a regression. :ohmy: Frankly, I think Meghan's more relaxed style is part preference and part necessity to match Harry.

I like the white engagement coat because the color and link to Diana and the white garden felt spot on for the occasion. Just really crisp and iconic, but the cut wasn't my favorite. I don't think it was intentionally oversized, just a bit bulky in the waist. My faves were the blue Mackage in Nottingham and Stella McCartney in Wales.

:previous: The bulkiness around the waist was not really the coat’s fault and there really wasn’t a way to get around it. The coat was a belted coat, and it should’ve accentuated the waist but for the dress underneath. She wore a dress with a bow on the side in the front. And in that case, any coat is going show bulkiness at the waist unless she went out there without a coat, which wasn’t going to happen in London in November.

That’s what I’ve been trying to say, but you’ve just said it so much better! It’s kind of tiring after awhile to see people saying her coat is too big. It’s not. It’s the style. I’m not saying anyone has to like it, that’s an opinion. But to say it’s too big just because it’s not super tailored is simply factually inaccurate.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: I think that Meghan's daywear style is very different to that of Catherine, Sophie and Camilla, just as they are different from each other.

HM wears a coat over a dress 99% of the time and when outdoor crowds are part of the engagement, her colours are stronger and deeper, her earrings are mainly the pearl and diamond buttons and she invariable wears pearls and a brooch. Camilla's style is much different and her daywear is usually navy or neutral collors, wears the same pearl drops and various pearl chokers.

Sophie hit forty and I defy anyone to define her style except to say she usually looks fabulous. Catherine sticks with coatdresses or coats over dresses in mainly pale or pastel colours, hair down and unpredictable earrings. Megan, hmm, she seems to go for separates and distinctive coats and handbags, sometimes wearing earrings sometimes not, and of course, she like both Catherine and Sophie are more likely to wear 105mm stilettoes of their preferred shoe brands (or 85mm if they're feeling tired).

Now could someone please tell me how they are observing the Official Uniform Dress Code and if so, what is it? For formal occasions add a hat and stockings and that is the only thing different for Meghan at the Commonwealth Service. But I just don't see a uniform.

:previous:I don't follow Camilla or Sophie's fashion so I can't speak to it or the reaction from royal watchers. For the Commonwealth Service, Meghan wore a dress (not separates), a fitted coat (not a wrap/bathrobe style), and wasn't in exclusively dark colors. That style seemed to meet with broad approval though some balked at the popped collar. Sounds like HM and Kate's style from your description. Whether from prevalence in the media or position in the hierarchy, that appears to be the blueprint for the Official Royal Uniform.

What Meghan wore to the Commonwealth Services did not remind me of Kate. Not in style.

She wore cream and blue but that was because evidently all the ladies agreed to do so, since all of them (except the Queen) work blue or blue and cream.

LaRae

Whether from prevalence in the media or position in the hierarchy, that appears to be the blueprint for the Official Royal Uniform.

I would recommend reading fashion threads for other royal ladies before making such sweeping generalizations. Most posters here follow different royal houses and fashion of many different royal women (Mary, Letizia, Maxima, Victoria, Sofia, Mathilde, Sophie, etc. ), not just Kate and Meghan:ermm:.

Thanks for the suggestion but I'll stick to following the people I'm interested in as I'm sure you do as well. For me, that includes more than just Kate and Meghan, but in a conversation about the fashion of the ladies of the BRF I felt it fair to acknowledge that I don't follow two of the women Marg used as examples.

What Meghan wore to the Commonwealth Services did not remind me of Kate. Not in style.

She wore cream and blue but that was because evidently all the ladies agreed to do so, since all of them (except the Queen) work blue or blue and cream.

LaRae

My favorite part of the Commonwealth Service fashion was actually seeing how each of the women brought their own take on the navy/cream dress code. They differed in style but the underlying pieces/framework was very similar. I wore a school uniform for 12 years and we all learned how to express our individual styles within those parameters but that didn't make it any less of a uniform.

I loved that element too...it lets me know too there's a connection between all of them, being what they are, perhaps even friendship among them (even with Anne!). It also looks nice to the eye.

LaRae

Is that typical that there'd be an agreed upon color scheme or was this something unique for the Commonwealth service? Just wondering if we'll see something similar at other events. It did communicate a nice sense of family unity and also elevated HM's outfit too. Any chance HM's team was part of the color coordination scheme?

:previous:There really hasn't been so much family participation at the Commonwealth Service in previous years so it is hard to compare to this year when most of the family attended.

A number of off-topic posts has been removed - please stay on topic of this thread- thank you!

https://madaboutmeghan.blogspot.com/2018/04/first-look-harry-and-meghan-arrive-for.html

Meghan today at the Invictus trials.

Meh. Does she need to wear a trench coat to a sporting event? Perhaps a short jacket would of been better in the conditions?

LaRae

With you on the meh. It's only 14C/58F degrees there, so I get why she needs a jacket, but one that went with the jeans and polo would be much better. The trench doesn't, and so she doesn't look styled, just like she grabbed something on the way out the door to deal with the weather.

Yeah there are lots of options for jackets/coats for an outside event that would go better with her jeans and IG shirt. The constant flying coat from all the wind is distracting too. She should of looked at what Harry's wearing...and how about a pair of flats or something for a sport event instead of heels?

LaRae

Last edited:
Yes, I definitely think runners for observing a sporting event. I'd also like to have seen more slimline jeans and a short jacket. I've never seen Meghan with a pony tail but if her hair was tied back it wouldn't be flying around all over the place.

Yeah there are lots of options for jackets/coats for an outside event that would go better with her jeans and IG shirt. The constant flying coat from all the wind is distracting too. She should of looked at what Harry's wearing...and how about a pair of flats or something for a sport event instead of heels?

LaRae

That's what I was thinking too!
But perhaps without the heels, those black pants (again!) would be sweeping the ground. (I'm not certain that they aren't). :ermm:

Well yeah the change of shoe might require a different jean..but I'm sure she has more than one pair...and if she didn't have a suitable pair for a flat heel/sneaker she could buy them. The hair bugs me too flying around and of all days it would be good to wear it in a 'messy bun' or pony tail, this would be the day. Not sure what her thought process was...maybe she didn't think it thru very well.

LaRae

https://madaboutmeghan.blogspot.com/2018/04/first-look-harry-and-meghan-arrive-for.html

Meghan today at the Invictus trials.

Meh. Does she need to wear a trench coat to a sporting event? Perhaps a short jacket would of been better in the conditions?

LaRae

How about the heels...? And, the rings, those silly thumb, index rings...

Well yeah the change of shoe might require a different jean..but I'm sure she has more than one pair...and if she didn't have a suitable pair for a flat heel/sneaker she could buy them. The hair bugs me too flying around and of all days it would be good to wear it in a 'messy bun' or pony tail, this would be the day. Not sure what her thought process was...maybe she didn't think it thru very well.

LaRae

Yes, yes, and yes. Why doesn't she put her hair in a ponytail??

That's what I was thinking too!
But perhaps without the heels, those black pants (again!) would be sweeping the ground. (I'm not certain that they aren't). :ermm:

Even a thicker, block heel would have been better. Still silly and inappropriate for a track field, but hey, better than stilettos.

(..)

Even a thicker, block heel would have been better. Still silly and inappropriate for a track field, but hey, better than stilettos.

Yeah...perhaps next time she's out for something 'sporty' she'll make the adjustments.

LaRae

Blergh. This is not at all inappropriate or horrid IMO. But it is also blergh.

To be fair, she is wearing IG gear.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom