Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still surprised to see her in white with all the other BRF Ladies in darker colors.

ETA: Just saw Anne...who is in cream/blue.

LaRae

Except for the Queen I did see what I think was a navy and white/cream theme going on. And Meghan had a navy dress on under the coat. I thought she looked fine. She's getting there, and she's not even married yet!

Lovely outfit today. Probably her best look yet. I’m one of the few that like berets and fascinators, so her headgear gets a thumbs up from me.

:previous: I’m not sure where the comment regarding others being disappointed in her outfit since engagement came from either. Honestly, I’ve only seen some gasping at the fact that she dared to break protocol by wearing black (long broken by royal ladies before her) or pants (again, long before her) and the price tag of the engagement dress. Other than that, they might not be labeling her a fashion icon at the moment, but no one has been disappointed at her except for here. In fact, some of the pieces have been received positively by some of the more reputable fashion places like Vogue, Harper’s Bizaar and such. Most I’ve seen LOVED her McQueen suit and some other pieces. And honestly, is she supposed to dazzle with her wardrobe at everyday royal engagements? I mean it’s high time the work should take longer than the wardrobe choices. When she attended the Royal Foundation forum, I thought she looked lovely, but I’m really happy that the substance of what she had to say took more attention than her outfit. And I’m willing to bet that if she did dazzle with every outfit to every event, the same people would be criticizing her for taking attention away from others with her wardrobe and not know her place.

Her outfits have been completely appropriate for the events she attended and certainly acceptable attire for business women, so I’m a bit baffled by the insinuation that she’s somehow disrespecting HMQ by her clothing choices.

As for the not removing the packing stitch on her coat. Oh well, **** happens. Now that it’s been in multiple headlines, I’m sure we won’t see that happen again.

I’ve seen criticism of her outfits in other places, so it’s not just here that people have been disappointed in her clothing choices. But even if this were the only place where people didn’t like what she wore, what would that matter? It wouldn’t make the opinions wrong. Fashion is subjective and people like what they like. Some will love what Meghan wears and others won’t.

Of course Meghan doesn’t have to dazzle with her outfits, but she is a public figure so people are going to notice and comment on her clothes (especially in a fashion forum). Heck not even the Queen can escape comments about what she wears.

Now this is a coat that I can get into. The cream color is lovely on Meghan and the cut is very nice. The mixture of navy and cream is a good one for her. Not a huge fan of the hat though, but if that is all then I call this outfit a winner.

If she had a better hat, the look (for me) would of been almost perfect.

LaRae

I apologize if this has already been discussed or is in the wrong place, I didn't read through page after page before posting. BUT, what on earth is going on with Meghan's clothing? Don't get me wrong, I'm far from a Meghan-hater but the fact remains that she is a very, very petite woman and the clothes she's been pictured in lately appear to be about four sizes too big. I realize that this time of year calls for coats and that definitely adds bulk but I can't help but shake my head at the multiple wrap coats and the green/blue plaid coat that are obviously too big and then those pants that she wore with the green/blue coat....oh my. I know that current fashions often include clothing that is "flowy" or "oversized" and I even own a few pieces like that myself but when you can't see your shoes because your pants are so long and wide and the hems are dragging on the ground and being stepped on....

I really hate to appear critical and snarky because that really isn't my intention and I suppose "body language experts" would probably chalk it up to hiding in her clothes because she feels scrutinized, etc. But really, I can't be the only one noticing the far too large clothing, right?

I'm with those who would prefer something other than the beret style hat-especially for an event like this one. I'd be okay with a fascinator, the kind that verge into semi-hat territory. But other than wishing for a different style hat, I like the rest of her ensemble. That's an elegant coat. She looks nice and fits into the traditional look of the rest of the family.

Not sure about the beret (I think that beret may be too flat?), but the coat is beautiful even though personally I don't like coat with stand up collar.

I am still waiting Meghan to wear a hat with brim (team brimmed hat here, no berets no cocktails no fascinators:lol:).

Agree completely, you read my mind!

okay with a fascinator, the kind that verge into semi-hat territory.

I'm glad that fascinators with their associated frivolity were ABSENT Today.. NOBODY went OTT in the hat dept...

Meghan's hats

Hello everyone,
let's face it, we probably will never see MM in the terror which PB had a la " the toilet seat".:eek:
On the other hand I don't think we'll see her is an ostrich feather huge brims that Camilla favors.

Nor will she be wearing any "flying saucers" :D like Sophie.

Her style is the driver here. She is just a very 21st century. Very minimalist. Very direct, very classic.

On days she needs wear a hat, bet we are going to see simple "on the head", co-ordinated to complement a basic neutral palate.

My bet is no brims, feathers, ribbons, jewels.
More textured fabrics.
More "cap style", maybe faux fur,
The fun part will be watching it evolve over the years.

Love reading all your thoughts

I wish someone would direct her away from the beret look though..get a proper hat.

LaRae

Having now seen a pic of the open coat with the navy dress I like the over all look better than with it closed up...nice navy/white contrast. Still not loving the beret <G>

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
dgtns..
Please explain A] 'PB'
B] How 'very 21st Century' can possibly be 'very classic' ?

It looks better than most of the things I've seen her wear, but the hat doesn't seem to go with the coat, or something.
The flat hat and stand-up collar makes her look squished down into the coat.

(Also, how do women keep from getting makeup on collars like that? I have a coat with such a collar and rarely wear it due to the makeup problem).

I apologize if this has already been discussed or is in the wrong place, I didn't read through page after page before posting. BUT, what on earth is going on with Meghan's clothing? Don't get me wrong, I'm far from a Meghan-hater but the fact remains that she is a very, very petite woman and the clothes she's been pictured in lately appear to be about four sizes too big. I realize that this time of year calls for coats and that definitely adds bulk but I can't help but shake my head at the multiple wrap coats and the green/blue plaid coat that are obviously too big and then those pants that she wore with the green/blue coat....oh my. I know that current fashions often include clothing that is "flowy" or "oversized" and I even own a few pieces like that myself but when you can't see your shoes because your pants are so long and wide and the hems are dragging on the ground and being stepped on....

I really hate to appear critical and snarky because that really isn't my intention and I suppose "body language experts" would probably chalk it up to hiding in her clothes because she feels scrutinized, etc. But really, I can't be the only one noticing the far too large clothing, right?
No ma'am you are not the only one. You are correct, she is a petite woman and her clothing does not need to "engulf" her, but enhance the body she has, not hide it.

It looks better than most of the things I've seen her wear, but the hat doesn't seem to go with the coat, or something.
The flat hat and stand-up collar makes her look squished down into the coat.

(Also, how do women keep from getting makeup on collars like that? I have a coat with such a collar and rarely wear it due to the makeup problem).
I don't have a clue, which is why I do not own a cream or off white jacket. We're in the same boat! When you find out, please let me know. HA!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a cream or white jacket either so can't help! I have noticed though that Meghan seems to have lost some weight in the past few weeks. She's now extra petite. It might be pre wedding nerves. However I do think Meghan may have gone down a size in her clothing, some of which may have been ordered weeks before.

No ma'am you are not the only one. You are correct, she is a petite woman and her clothing does not need to "engulf" her, but enhance the body she has, not hide it.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one! Now, in all fairness and to balance things out, I LOVE the skinny pants with stilettos that she's been wearing and I thought she looked lovely in the black/white check off the shoulder top she wore when she met the children and visited the radio station. But we really, really need to see more of those moments and less of the voluminous pants, giant wrap coats, beret-style hats, etc.

And while I'm on a roll here....I understand that neutrals have been her go-to color palate. However, with her skin tone and hair she would look fabulous in colors. Jewel tones would be stunning but in the right combination even pastels would be beautiful. Fingers crossed that she decides to branch out and try some new things. I'm already a little bit tired of the white, cream, tan, nude, black, and navy. :ermm:

Just a bit of an exaggeration to say 4 sizes too big. I do think most of her coats fit well. There's been a couple looser but I think some of that is the style of coat too.

I've not gotten the idea from her that she is trying to hide.

Most of us here are bored with the neutrals. Today was a nice change.

LaRae

It's been a long and very cold winter. I'm sure we will be seeing lots of different new designs and colours in dresses, shoes and hats as summer draws near.

Last edited:
I’m actually tearing up from joy over her outfit.
THIS! Is euro chic.

The coat is amazing! It fits her. And the color works for her.
The hat, I don’t mind. As in- it looks good.
The shoes- well I don’t do stilettos but it works with the outfit.
The dress... a shade that doesn’t swallow her whole. If she’s has to wear dark let it be dark blue, it fits her better than black.

*my friend in fashion just texted me she’s actually crying from joy over Meghan outfit.

Now, if we can just make her see that color is not the enemy.

Last edited:
It's been a long and very cold winter. I'm sure we be seeing lots of different new designs and colours in dresses, shoes and hats.

It must be cold, since she's wearing hose for the first time.

Yeah those hose are not going to keep her legs warm...they are worn merely for formality's sake.

LaRae

Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part One: November 2017 -

Love the coat...not sure what I think about the hat. Surprised she's in cream/white.

LaRae

This is the first coat she’s worn that I really like.

White/cream doesn’t surprise me at all. It’s neutral.

Last edited:
dgtns..
Please explain A] 'PB'
Princess Beatrice.....famous 2011 wedding hat!

B] How 'very 21st Century' can possibly be 'very classic' ?

when I look at current things, I see classics with a twist.
Sometimes an irregular cut to create interest.
Or a classic with an oversized feature.
That's why the beret that is "a little different" is picked. Looks like a bit more shaped than slouchy. Ditto for the christmas hat, some times that very round hat would have a center "stem" back in the day, here is Meg with the stem unwinding and off center.

My opinion.
In case you think I just love her so much that I'm going to roll with everything she presents.
Actually, I'm not a 100% on Meghan, I believe she is a work in progress. She has aptitude and a lot of public image experience. But like I said she is a work in progress. I think Dss. C has grown a lot since 2011.

What do you think?

Meghan looked superb today. Stand out of the royal ladies next to Sophie. Her and Harry have so much charisma together.

I love this white coat. It could be better fitted though. Her hair was amazing as well.

One of my favorite combos is navy and white so glad to see this on Meghan.

I for one like everything about this look, she really shines when she is at formal events and seems to make an effort to make sure things fit. I love her hat and think it works well with her face and how she wears her hair.
I did once say that Meghan 's fashion has been unimpressive since the announcement but I made an error; what she wore. to church for Xmas was a good look as was the official engagement photo dress. This is another look that works for her.

I was again bored with todays outfit, navy and blue with a silly little beret on flowing hair. This is quite a big event and I just think her outfit was a washout. I'm glad she didn't wear trousers, but unfortunately that's as good as it gets.

I do hope we see her at Ascot.

What an improvement! The first non-bathrobe coat that fits. Too bad she messed with the collar and the lapels. The beret is perfect for her, she is petite and it suits her.
The navy and white seems to be the memo for all royal ladies today. Love her navy dress length, however, the heels are way too high.

And Marg if you're out there, I'm pretty sure I saw the glimmer of stockings. :D I'm going to say it's out of respect for HM and the church setting. If it was rigid protocol, she'd wear them for the more informal engagements too.
I'm here and you sure did! It gives the legs an elegantly smooth colour and finish. (I wish you could've seen me doing a little happy dance around the lounge. :D)
I wish someone would direct her away from the beret look though..get a proper hat.

LaRae

Having now seen a pic of the open coat with the navy dress I like the over all look better than with it closed up...nice navy/white contrast. Still not loving the beret <G>

LaRae
If you are not a "hat" person you can feel very conspicuous in a hat and many, like Sophie and Catherine, started out wearing little wisps of fascinators. I'll take this saucy beret any day over that. You have to work up to Sophie, Anne and Camilla "real" hats.

But, all things being equal, I feel she aced this first serious engagement. Her beret suited her hairstyle perfectly and her navy dress and cream top coat looked fantastic and to go for the turned up style of collar was a perfect little Meghan tweak. I am beginning to think that her fashion precursor was Princess Anne. They have the same no-nonsense approach to clothes.

Last edited:
Meghan looks lovely, and I'm happy to see her wearing something other than all dark colors for a nice change. It looks like Kate and Meghan are wearing the same navy Manolo Blahnik pumps with stiletto heels. Both Kate and Meghan look gorgeous. Meghan's outfit is by two of Diana PofW's favorite designers, Amanda Wakeley (coat and dress), and milliner Stephen Jones, who designed a number of berets and hats for Diana.

Meghan looks good, but I'm not that in love with the beret. It is rather flat. I will look forward to seeing Meghan wear something different in a hat. I like the hat she wore to Sandringham celebrations on Christmas Day. But I think as a new formal hat wearer perhaps she's easing into becoming more comfortable with hats.

Meghan Markle Attends Commonwealth Day Services
Mad About Meghan
https://twitter.com/meghanmaven?lang=en
Meghan Markle Maven | The Life and Style of Meghan Markle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom