Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just want a colour! A purple or a burgundy please.

It looks okay but the coat looks big, and I wouldn’t wear black and navy together.

I think so too.
It's all right, but I am finding her style rather bland.

I get it that many of you are not loving MM's choices, but I really am. Such a breath of fresh air. Such a grown woman look. More business than girlie, which is to my taste. And really well pulled together. Not at all cliche!

I don’t think of Capri pants as business like. I like them, but it’s more casual than business dress imo. Especially the super tight ones. I don’t mind it, but it’s not really business attire to me.

Out of curiosity- what is a girlie/not grown woman look? Dresses? That’s more formal to me and always appropriate. Do you not like dresses and skirts?

Well... I guess she’s expanding to blue, so that’s something.

I personally am not a huge fan of the coat (maybe if it waan’t Wool). It looks nice from afar but I saw it up close online and.. no.
Yes to the Capri, and they’re not super tight so that an extra point! no to the damn black (there are more shades in the color palates Meghan).
I love the sweater, the shape and color. Not a cashmere fan myself, even though it’s a blend.

Taking away the coat and silly stiletto (I saw the pics she looked like she was about to fall and break her legs on them)(also those shoes come in other shades!) I like the pants and sweater combo, but! I’m taking away points for once again sticking to basic neutrals. That pants could and should have been a different color.

Once again, separately her stuff are awesome. Together? A monochrome mess.

I wasn’t expecting colour. That’s ship has said but the Capri pants and hair are awful as usual.

I like the sweater, but everything else (including the hair) are a miss for me. The coat, again, looks to big, the pants with the heals looks strange and the hair is falling in her face (which in turn makes her keep pushing it back). I'm all for a monochromatic look but this is not pushing any buttons for me. I would have loved to have seen this sweater with the beige skirt she worn or a nice pair of trousers (hemmed to the correct length).

I don't think there is anything wrong with her hair. It looks like its freshly washed. And really, since she has long hair, there is not much she can do with it unless she puts it up, brings out the headband or cuts it and does the bangs look. And I am thinking she doesn't want bangs.

Frankly, I am getting weary of the black as well. As this is from someone who has over 30 pairs of black pants! I don't get the capris either...didn't England just have a big snow storm (i.e. Emma?).

If its true that she wants people to focus on the event and not her wardrobe, that's all good but she will at some point have to improve her wardrobe a bit. As Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother said during World War II (and I am paraphrasing here) people put on their best to meet me and I am going to wear my best when I meet them. I would expect her to at least dress up on Royal Ascot and other such snazzy and dressy events. But I guess we will have to wait for that.

Right so this might sound really odd, but I'm just going to say it and it's meant with no offence.

I think Meghan dresses like Meghan would if she wasn't in her situation re - marrying a Prince. I want her to be comfy, and dress for herself but I always remember hearing that The Queen dresses in bright colours so she can be seen when the crowds are 4 deep. Does that make sense?

The shoes, IMO, too high for that event and style of outfit. She's got a 'working outfit' with a evening heel.

LaRae

I know Missjersey...I live in hope that when spring/summer arrive the wardrobe brightens.

LaRae

Oh Pranter I can’t even....I hope she put in as much time for the bridal gown as you and others have. I’ll say it, I’m disappointed

Right so this might sound really odd, but I'm just going to say it and it's meant with no offence.

I think Meghan dresses like Meghan would if she wasn't in her situation re - marrying a Prince. I want her to be comfy, and dress for herself but I always remember hearing that The Queen dresses in bright colours so she can be seen when the crowds are 4 deep. Does that make sense?

Very well said. There is a reason women of the royal family dress in a certain way.

I agree Lumu!

Maybe we should tweet that to Kensington Palace! But than again, if she started to wear bright colors she would be accused of being attention seeking! She can't win.

Either way...its barely been a year...and she is not even married yet.

It will take her a minute or so to find her royal fashion groove. It took Diana, Sophie and Camilla at least five years. So here's hoping it gets better!

again she looks unkempt to me
to start there is something wrong with way she wore her coats always looks big and unfitted..today coat is very pretty but Meghan totally ruins it first with the way she wore it second match it the Navy coat with black capri looks all wrong and fumpy Imo and then the heels away tooo hight for the event and the so called working outfit i won't add anything about the lack of color in her wardrobe i think posts above said much

How is Jessica Mulroney justifying her [doubtless substantial] retainer? Given she must have EVERY single purveyor of Black trousers and Wrap Coats across the Nation on speed-dial.

Her client is doubtless a VERY busy Woman, but her 'stylist' CANNOT be, given her uninspired and 'samey' choices..

How is Jessica Mulroney justifying her [doubtless substantial] retainer?

This is my biggest issue with these looks. How in the world does a professional stylist have so little imagination that she apparently isn’t capable of putting together a winter outfit without black trousers:argh:?

I do like this coat and top though, so I’m just looking at photos from waist up:ROFLMAO:.

I have been busy reading the posts about this latest engagement and I have to admit if I took the general tenor of many of you I would write Meghan off as a hot mess. However, I have noticed that there have been many children and young people at the events that Harry and Meghan have been attending and I think the way Meghan dresses for these engagements resonates with the people of all ages that they meet.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a "Meghan is perfection personified" fan, apart from anything else, it limits your ability to like enjoy both the H&M show and the fashion postmortem. So I will continue to like or loathe to my heart's content. So:

1. Hair - while I have never been a fan of royals with hair obscuring a woman's face, Meghan's hair is well cut and cared for and when a piece of hair flys across her face I am not going to throw my toys out of the cot. The thing that annoys me so much is hair that is styled in such a way that should a woman tip her head forward her hair becomes a solid curtain totally obscuring her face, her earrings, and tangling in necklaces, etc. Princess Madeline is, I believe, the queen of "loose hair" but somehow, although her hair is not up, we still see her face in profile, her earrings and jewellery. But that is the result of years of practice.

2. Shoes - Okay, so surprise, she like stiletto heeled shoes which just makes her an ordinary woman who likes shoes but the plus is she can afford really nice and pretty ones which just makes me yearn for yesteryear when all my shoes and bags either matched or were complimentary and the heels were high and I wore them every day.

3. Handbags - being a relatively short person, shoulder bags always slipped off because they were too long. Mid-sized bags are great and Meghan hasn't missed a beat in my personal handbag nirvana.

4. Coats - She has not worn one I didn't like but I wish for a bit more colour the same as many others here. So much so that the addition of white edging on a blue coat made me positively giddy.

5. General - She seems to be a hit with all the kids and young people even if I don't like her capri pants this time around.

Even though I'd like to see her in more color I'm okay with her overall 'work look'. If, however, she continues this monotone darker look for daytime in spring/summer (Ascot, the Trooping etc) then I will be disappointed.

LaRae
I'm with LaRae on this and am looking forward to seeing her ensemble for the Commonwealth Day Service, especially a formal hat. I am sure there will be a couple more engagements before the wedding and then I can OD on sugar with the rest of you. Then comes married life and with it, the joys of Ascot and The Trooping of the Colour etc. Hopefully, someone will tell her to save the black for Remembrance Day.

Well I know Monday for Commonwealth they will be in more sedate colors so that doesn't bother me...considering it's a Church event.

I would love to see her hair in a loose bun/twist or something up so it doesn't fall across her face or where she is fiddling with it (pushing it back etc). The messy bun..not so much that..something more sleek. Definately good idea about Maddie ...she has that figured out.

I have loved all her handbags, if I win the lottery I'm going to be a purse owning fool! I'd love to see her purse closet.

I've liked all her coats except the engagement day coat and the Christmas day coat.

Shoes..for me the stilettos are a mis match in style to the outfit ..and not a fan of those long capris with those type of heel.

Am hoping when they go to Ireland she wears something with color (dare I hope for green?)...

LaRae

How is Jessica Mulroney justifying her [doubtless substantial] retainer? Given she must have EVERY single purveyor of Black trousers and Wrap Coats across the Nation on speed-dial.

Her client is doubtless a VERY busy Woman, but her 'stylist' CANNOT be, given her uninspired and 'samey' choices..

If this is true she certainly needs a new stylist. Sometimes it's better to not do business with friends.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m really disappointed and I worry for the wedding now. I always think every bride looks lovely but now I’m beginning to wonder.
Her coats look like dressing gowns with the tie instead of buttons.
The hair covering half her face. I hope she has an amazing hair style for her wedding and a beautiful dress

Keeping my fingers crossed for spring events----and I agree with those that think she needs a new stylist. Entertainment world calls for grabbing the spotlight, but bending over backwards to avoid it does not work for royals, I think. I'm an American and I think she needs to get a Brit or European on board, and quickly.

Meghan looked fine. Meghan is an independent woman, who's held many jobs to support herself. She's developed her own mind and opinions, so she's going to wear what she likes. She doesn't care what others think and that's why I like her. Men don't have to play by these sexist rules, so why should women? What a wonderful message on a day as important as International Women's Day - BE YOURSELF! The people who met her didn't care whether she had on black pants; they were happy that she cared about them and their interests. Women are more than a wardrobe or hairstyle.

This is a thread about fashion, hence the fashion discussion...if you think it's sexist (and we do talk about what men wear...can't remember how many times folks have talked about what Harry/William are wearing..and there is a thread for men) or somehow makes women nothing more than their clothing and hairstyle to discuss what they wear then perhaps you should skip this thread.

LaRae

So I was at the Duchess of Cornwall's WOW reception today at Clarence House and then a panel at JP Morgan after that so I missed all of the Meghan photos until now! I have to go to bed though - we have a WOW panel I'm speaking on tomorrow!

I think Meghan looks amazing - heels with capri/ankle pants are the only way to wear them imo without looking stumpy - unless you're Audrey Hepburn. I love that Meghan is sticking to her style aesthetic and making it work for her.

More thoughts about her outfit choices later - I'm wiped out.

Last edited:
At the moment I'm enjoying the clear differential between Meghan's style and any other British Royal (yes, I realise technically she's not a Royal yet). It's so refreshing to see less formal wear and someone who favours trousers be they Capri or wider fitting styles. The more restricted colour palette is to my taste, but I am sure she will mix it up from time to time. The handbags are another plus -such a change from the clutch bags favoured by other Royals.

This is a thread about fashion, hence the fashion discussion...if you think it's sexist (and we do talk about what men wear...can't remember how many times folks have talked about what Harry/William are wearing..and there is a thread for men) or somehow makes women nothing more than their clothing and hairstyle to discuss what they wear then perhaps you should skip this thread.

LaRae
This IS my opinion on fashion! Are you a moderator? If not, don't moderate my opinion. I was just making the observation that men don't get this type of scrutiny. Also, I was saying how I love that Meghan is her own person when it comes to her style choices. (...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom