Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love to see her wear her natural hair.
Now this I don't get. Meghan is wearing her hair styled the way she has throughout her adult life and okay, the messy bun didn't do it for me but perhaps if she'd left it in a ponytail I would have been happier. On the plus side, you can see her face and every emotion that passes over her and she is a joy to watch. I love her curls and waves and am glad she's never been seen to be in the flat ironed brigade.

However, if by "natural" you mean more stereotypical of her biracial roots, then if she did it would merely be a remarked as a PC move as she has never styled her hair that way before.

Last edited by a moderator:
When short and/or stockier women wear wide pant legs it can make them look boxy/heavier. Meghan is tall enough and svelte enough to work the wide leg.

LaRae
I have to admit I like her style. It's not like Catherine's, Sophies, or Zara's. It's like a really relaxed Autumn. I love her pants and hope to see her wear them as often as she normally would wear them. They weren't jeans or jeggings and there was nothing remotely "sporty" about them.

I notice with interest that she seems a fan of long coats and, having spent the last seven years in Canada it makes sense. Double the layers with either pants or a skirt and boots. The monochrome look is a very uncluttered line to look at and she seems to suit both the style and the colour.

I really am really looking forward to her "hairstyle" evolution although if she had to wear a messy bun, that was the place to wear it!

Now this I don't get. Meghan is wearing her hair styled the way she has throughout her adult life and okay, the messy bun didn't do it for me but perhaps if she'd left it in a ponytail I would have been happier. On the plus side, you can see her face and every emotion that passes over her and she is a joy to watch. I love her curls and waves and am glad she's never been seen to be in the flat ironed brigade.

However, if by "natural" you mean more stereotypical of her biracial roots, then if she did it would merely be a remarked as a PC move as she has never styled her hair that way before.

Her natural hair is a mass of loose corkscrews, very thick and buoyant. There's nothing wrong with straightened hair, I just think it would be nice if she wore her natural curls.

Her natural hair is a mass of loose corkscrews, very thick and buoyant. There's nothing wrong with straightened hair, I just think it would be nice if she wore her natural curls.

This? http://ugc.reveliststatic.com/gen/full/2017/11/28/13/vs/oz/phjmd9x1ws2qbwe.jpg

This one might help you out (from LashawnaRose Twitter):
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DTHmX20WAAAuvK8.jpg:large

I have to admit I like her style. It's not like Catherine's, Sophies, or Zara's. It's like a really relaxed Autumn. I love her pants and hope to see her wear them as often as she normally would wear them. They weren't jeans or jeggings and there was nothing remotely "sporty" about them.

I notice with interest that she seems a fan of long coats and, having spent the last seven years in Canada it makes sense. Double the layers with either pants or a skirt and boots. The monochrome look is a very uncluttered line to look at and she seems to suit both the style and the colour.

I really am really looking forward to her "hairstyle" evolution although if she had to wear a messy bun, that was the place to wear it!

Seems like she's had that coat she wore today for awhile (saw a couple pics of other times she's been out in it) so she's going to be a recycler too!

She has a very specific taste (so far..will be interesting to see what she wears to a formal or tiara event)...I am not sure how to classify it. Chic? That's not quite right but something...anyway so far I have liked most everything (except that white engagement coat!) and her hair today.

Wanting to know more about the delicate bracelet she had on today, plus the earrings and the 3 rings on her right hand...pre Harry or ?

LaRae

That style doesn't seem to suit her persona at all. I hope she stays with the straight hair...probably because I lived thru the era of very curly permed hair and hope it stays in the past.

LaRae

I must say that I am a big fan of Meghan's wide pants! Not many people can get away with them, imho.

I love what Meghan wore, and find it completely appropriate to the event. I even like the messy bun. Would have liked a bit more of a statement earring. But good grief I wish I could drape a scarf the way she does.

And from time to time I'd love to see color...jewel tones might look amazing with her coloring.

She was as well dressed as always.... pity there wasn't a beautiful bag this time !

I loved her outfit and messy bun. And nice to see she's helping out Prince Harry with his style too ;)

So glad to see a (soon to be) member of the British Royal Family wearing trousers that aren't skinny jeans/leggings to an engagement. She looks great and so comfortable. The scarf is a lovely accessory too.

I totally agree; have never been a fan of Catherine's version of trousers. Meghan's style has some similarities to Stephanie of Luxembourg's choices.

I found the outfit overall fitting the occasion, I tried to see how much the pants cost but they are sold - out.
But I am not a fan of her choice of monochrome colors- I personally love color (hence why the queen outfits are my favorite. The all black, really? Sure it’s very European chic, but... I think I would have liked it if the sweater would have been at the very least a vibrant blue or white or very light gray or green (may similar shade to the interview dress)

For someone who ran a fashion and lifestyle website and had a clothing line, I find her fashion choices since the first outing very very conservative and on the safe side. After the engagement announcement outfit (white coat, dark green dress: perfection!) I was like: ohh this will be fun, yey. Umm, Nope.

The outfits are wonderfully assembled, very chic (minus that hideous velvet dress on Christmas, that is crime against fashion and that dress needs to be thrown than burned), but she has such lovely skin color and tone for colors.

And yes to more outfits with pants.

Last edited:
I'm probably on my own on this one. She looked ok - sort of thing I'd wear going shopping.

It didn't look like she'd made any particular effort at all which surprised me. And I don't like the "messy bun"

But on the other hand, she is just starting out and early days must be nerve-wracking. Agree with many posters on wanting to see even just a pop of colour.

Look forward to seeing how she progresses.

Those trousers had most excellent movement. If you are wearing a wide leg, pick a oomphy fabric like this so that the leg fabric moves with you but does not cling. And they were the perfect length. Bringing me to my next question.

Did anyone figure out if the shoes were a simple pump - or something more stylish? I will be sad if she gets co-opted in the Valley of Royals who wear court shoes almost all the time. It's a really big shoe world out there and I like royals that explore that just a bit. :flowers:

I really liked Meghan's look today. She looked very much like herself, much more so than she did on Christmas. Very chic.

The messy bun didn't bother me, my adult daughter wears her hair like that a lot.

Those trousers had most excellent movement. If you are wearing a wide leg, pick a oomphy fabric like this so that the leg fabric moves with you but does not cling. And they were the perfect length. Bringing me to my next question.

Did anyone figure out if the shoes were a simple pump - or something more stylish? I will be sad if she gets co-opted in the Valley of Royals who wear court shoes almost all the time. It's a really big shoe world out there and I like royals that explore that just a bit. :flowers:
The shoes have been identified as Sarah Flint pumps.

Meghan's Fashion - What Meghan Markle Wore

I'm probably on my own on this one. She looked ok - sort of thing I'd wear going shopping.

It didn't look like she'd made any particular effort at all which surprised me. And I don't like the "messy bun"

But on the other hand, she is just starting out and early days must be nerve-wracking. Agree with many posters on wanting to see even just a pop of colour.

Look forward to seeing how she progresses.

Right now it seems like she's re-cycling (the 2 events she's had so far) what she already owns and has worn before. Perhaps after they marry she will bring in some new things like what we saw her do at Sandringham.

LaRae

I love the coat, hate the wide trousers and all black. Messy bun was a nice try, but unsuccessful, imo. A ponytail would have been just as casual, but more controlled.

And yeah, I’m one of those people who dislikes all neutrals all the time. I’m hoping that this is Meghan the fiancée phase and that Meghan the duchess will be more colorful.

I loved everything about Meghan's look today, including the messy bun and "out of place" strands. She just look so effortlessly chic, right down to the minimal makeup. She has such a naturally beautiful face.

Love the coat and trousers and especially those heels!

For perspective, as an actress she would have been more 'amenable' to a wider range of parts with straightened hair. Fact. :cool: Whether she 'prefers' curly or straight may still not be an issue because at this juncture she is also pleasing her man, what he likes.

If she likes it that way, and longs to get back to her natural hair. Interesting possibility. Personally I don't think she will do short hair until after the babies are born, but we'll see. :flowers: She could surprise us. She's had the long straight hair for a long time. It's often hard to change, and especially if one's husband has a preference. Such does matter.

Ah, but we don't know that he hasn't seen her hair curly. ?

I do have a bias for curly, since my children and I all have the biracial corkscrews. I do know it can be a bitch to maintain, but can be quite beautiful. Whenever I go out with my daughter and her hair is down and loose, she always gets comments. People will often come up to her and try to touch her curly hair.

That style doesn't seem to suit her persona at all. I hope she stays with the straight hair...probably because I lived thru the era of very curly permed hair and hope it stays in the past.

LaRae

Maybe I read this wrong, but Meghan's natural hair as it grows out of her head is curly - like the picture posted. It's not naturally straight. She either relaxes it straight or she has it blown out. It's not a perm - I don't understand why you brought that up - unless you're implying that if Meghan goes back to her naturally kinky-curly roots, that women all over the world (white women) would turn to curly perms in order to mimic her hair?

Yeah - I don't see that happening.

I wore my hair relaxed straight until I was in my mid-late 30s - so for a lot of people, it didn't fit my "persona" either - but I need to stress that this "persona" was me assimilating to a society that shames black women for their natural hair texture. In some cases, wearing my natural hair would jeopardize my ability to get the job I wanted.

I have the exact same natural hair texture that Meghan does. And Meghan has made comments about her own struggle with her natural hair texture - she grew up in an environment that made her feel "less than" for having it - there was an interview somewhere where she talked about how her mother tried to help her not fret over what people thought of her hair so much - as that drove her to want it to be as straight as possible.

It'd be nice to see her overcome those reservations (about what a society that likes to see people assimilate) and wear her natural hair - but I suspect that she relaxes her hair, which means it's chemically straightened and she can't wear her natural hair unless she does the big chop and grows it out.

I thought she looked lovely today. I love her minimalist wardrobe and makeup looks. That sweater/trouser combo is one of my own favorite looks to rock so seeing it on her was awesome. I almost bought a similar sweater a month or so ago - I wish I had now! LOL. I love that she wore trousers. She always looks so chic. Love her style - I'm definitely going to have a style crush and muse in her... very excited. I hope she always manages to keep some of "herself" in her royal style.

I admit I was thrown off a bit by her bun - but as far as messy buns go it was still cute. I kinda agree with what someone else said - she's going to have to find a more restrained hair style that she can wear without having to adjust her hair all the time - it'll get old quick. I just hope she finds something that still is HER though.

I love the videos where the crowd gets so loud that Harry motions to them and tells Meghan she'll have to wave at them because they're so loud and then Meghan waves at them and they go absolutely BONKERS. Even Meghan looked surprised at how much the crowd loved her.

I'm so happy.

I read she gets Brazilian blowouts, which can be expensive. I usually style my daughter's hair in braids, since she's involved in sports. Back in my misbegotten youth, when I had time to fiddle with my hair everyday, I wore the curly bush.

I think Meghan's hair looks like it is well maintained, and not overprocessed.

I read she gets Brazilian blowouts, which can be expensive. I usually style my daughter's hair in braids, since she's involved in sports. Back in my misbegotten youth, when I had time to fiddle with my hair everyday, I wore the curly bush.

I think Meghan's hair looks like it is well maintained, and not overprocessed.

I still have the curly bush! It's just in a ponytail right now.

The only reason I think it's relaxed is because when she was swimming with PH at that wedding, there was no evidence of reversion... blowouts don't usually hold up that well and her hair was clearly wet in parts.

I'd love it though if she could still surprise us one day with her natural curls poppin all over the place.

But I get why she wears it straight - been there, done that. If I hadn't moved to CA with it's horrid dry weather (which damaged my hair), I probably never would have gone natural myself. I'd still be addicted to the creamy crack.

I'm pretty sure Meghan doesn't use a relaxer on her hair. I believe she gets blowouts or perhaps keratin treatments (temporary straightener). Anyway, I believe she has said or suggested that her hair isn't as curly as it used to be, likely because it's been "heat trained" so she would probably have to grow it out again to get it as curly as it used to be.

As for her adjusting her hair, I believe it's just a habit of hers. Remember she was doing it in the engagement interview and the Larry King interview as well. Since I don't see her going too restrained with her hair, she'll probably have to make a conscious effort to stop doing it. Or maybe she just won't care if it bothers others. lol

Last edited:
If Kate went out in public with that hair style this forum would have gone into meltdown, same with wide pants. Let’s be fair

I wore my hair relaxed straight until I was in my mid-late 30s - so for a lot of people, it didn't fit my "persona" either - but I need to stress that this "persona" was me assimilating to a society that shames black women for their natural hair texture. In some cases, wearing my natural hair would jeopardize my ability to get the job I wanted.

Exactly my point, and especially for an actress. :ermm: Meghan would have been going up for parts where a real bias is operating.

I have the exact same natural hair texture that Meghan does. And Meghan has made comments about her own struggle with her natural hair texture - she grew up in an environment that made her feel "less than" for having it - there was an interview somewhere where she talked about how her mother tried to help her not fret over what people thought of her hair so much - as that drove her to want it to be as straight as possible.

This is why I think once the babies come along, who may have curly hair, Meghan may opt for her hair's natural state for the sake of her children. Just a hunch. :flowers:

It'd be nice to see her overcome those reservations (about what a society that likes to see people assimilate) and wear her natural hair - but I suspect that she relaxes her hair, which means it's chemically straightened and she can't wear her natural hair unless she does the big chop and grows it out.

I believe she does not go the chemical route, but does a blow-out. The 'big chop' may happen with pregnancy. Maybe. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom