Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dislike rusty browns, too, but I have to admit that it worked for her at Sandringham. I admire that she has managed to look like she's not trying too hard by going over the top with color/style (OK, the engagement dress notwithstanding price-wise)

Oh, I thought she looked adorable, but I instinctively shutter a little bit when I see that color. :lol:

Smythe is actually a Canadian clothing line. So far Maegan has worn coats from three different Canadian companies!!!!!

I always thought Smythe is English? But that's probably because I knew Samantha Cameron worked there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like the pants and sweater. The coat is good, but I prefer the Smythe coat she has worn previously. I'm not big on the bulky scarves, but I live in much warmer climate and will probably not survive in Canada or London during winter. :lol:

I think Canada is much colder during winter than London these days, although I could be wrong.
And indeed if you live in a much warmer climate then generally Northwest European winters could probably feel like the North Pole to you :D

They already do that, as mentioned above.

LaRae

Ah, okay. I would think a visit to a radio station would be more in the "informal" bucket, but what do I know.

Kate wore a Smythe blazer on her first visit to Canada.

I can find nothing wrong with her outfit today. The pants are very nice looking and the coat and scarf are lovely. The only thing I can say is that, I do like a messy bun when it is done intentionally, this does not look intentional, but last minute because her hair wouldn't cooperate. Other than that, she looks great for the outing.

Which one? Because you know there is that going on for every royal lady. :lol: It's just more annoying when there are posters going into posts about people you know they hate every time something happens and just to offer unsubstantiated and odd criticisms.

Although, I believe I was the first to comment on how much I hate brown when the Sandringham pictures came out. :lol:

I wish she would wear fewer neutrals. I don't think brown and beige do much for her coloring. Once I read Meghan's brown beret compared to a poop emoji, it was an image I could not unsee.

It is a little odd to pipe up only to offer consistent criticisms. Just curious--why do you dislike Meghan?

I have a feeling she is going to be seen in a lot of neutral colors...it seems to be her thing.

LaRae

I have a feeling she is going to be seen in a lot of neutral colors...it seems to be her thing.

LaRae

She's talked about liking monochromatic dressing before in an interview.

For those that like a lot of colors, I just don't think Meghan will be your fashion inspiration very often. :lol:

I've been critical of Kate in the past over hair going everywhere and so, to be absolutely fair I think next time Meghan tries an updo it would be good to have one where you don't have to keep brushing your hair away from your face.

I'm also a colour kind of gal and I'd love to see her on an engagement with a green or blue outfit. But, I like her and I think she's doing exceptionally well for a beginner at the Royal game, so...

For those that like a lot of colors, I just don't think Meghan will be your fashion inspiration very often. :lol:

Like me? :lol:

No I usually don't care for all the neutrals; I prefer color.
But there's nothing wrong with what she is wearing, it just doesn't appeal to me.

And, I think her hair looks awful!! :eek:

Like me? :lol:

No I usually don't care for all the neutrals; I prefer color.
But there's nothing wrong with what she is wearing, it just doesn't appeal to me.

And, I think her hair looks awful!! :eek:

I was talking in general. I know people have said in the past that they prefer the royal ladies to dress in a color that will pop out in the crowd from afar before.

But hey, you can always pair neutral with color. :lol:

She's talked about liking monochromatic dressing before in an interview.

I don't recall saying I don't like monochromatic colors?

LaRae

I don't recall saying I don't like monochromatic colors?

LaRae

I wasn't talking about you, hence moved it to a different line. But I know it's been mentioned before about her not wearing a color that pops out when she visited Nottingham.

I wasn't talking about you, hence moved it to a different line. But I know it's been mentioned before about her not wearing a color that pops out when she visited Nottingham.

Oh because you had replied directly to me (quoted) I thought you were talking to me.

LaRae

I like the coat and scarf. I also applaud the wearing of trousers on a bitterly cold day. And, all British brands, which is great!

Same here, it is 2018. I don't see why a woman ( no matter in a royal family of not) that they can't wear pants. The world won't stop spinning if they wear them. Good for her. I hope that she will continue to wear them Occasionally even after marriage. Not all the time but once in a while

Found! #MeghanMarkle wore @SarahFlint_nyc Tortoiseshell Heel Pumps today in Brixton. Great find by @whatmegwore

Sarah Flint Tortoiseshell Heel Pumps

Same here, it is 2018. I don't see why a woman ( no matter in a royal family of not) that they can't wear pants. The world won't stop spinning if they wear them. Good for her. I hope that she will continue to wear them Occasionally even after marriage. Not all the time but once in a while

They do wear pants (Kate's worn them several times)...to events that are outsdoorsy/sporty etc. Less formal types of settings.

It will be interesting to see if she wears them to events where dresses would be the norm/expected.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
The messy bun is cute.

So appealing! Not OCD about every little strand. Good for you, Meghan! :flowers: It's a style and totally okay, as are pants/trousers. I like that Meghan's clothing choices are not overwhelming. Her clothing frames her, sets her off.

Chanel would be proud! ;)

I think hair is going to be one of the biggest challenges for Meghan to adjust as she develops her "royal style." Her go to styles for a long time now have been either completely down or artfully messy. I do think those looks have worked well for her in her previous life, since she was only photographed when walking down the street or in controlled (indoor, etc.) conditions. But the logistics of royal engagements involve a lot of pausing on one place outdoors while the wind will often blow hair around or gravity (when leaning over to talk to people) will draw loose tendrils onto the face, etc. She'll need to do a certain amount of experimenting in the mirror to find a look that she feels comfortable as being "her" that also stays nice in those circumstances.

But isn't that true for a lot of new royals? It's very common to see a big evolution in the first year or so. Just look back at early photos of CP Mary when she was engaged; you'd hardly believe that was a woman who would develop into the highly polished princess!

That said, I do hope Meghan won't veer too far right away into a more highly tailored silhouette. I like that look on Kate and Mary, but I also really appreciate that Meghan has her own style. The fit of her coats, for example, is more relaxed but I think it's still quite elegant and refined in a contemporary way. I think a slightly "slouchy" style is a good fit for her body shape and proportions, too.

The neutrality and simplicity of this outfit really resonate with me. She makes it look chic and effortless. Also love that she wore proper trousers vs. skinny jeans. Harry has never looked better either!

Agree 100%. :flowers:

It's natural, not OCD. ;) The 'perfection' ('not a hair out of place') standard for royals on walk-abouts/working strikes me as unnecessarily punitive criticism. Very uncomfortable to endlessly read. JMO. Has nothing to do with anything. Hair does what it does in the course of a day. Nothing that should be fussed about. :cool:

Agree 100%. :flowers:

It's natural, not OCD. ;) The 'perfection' ('not a hair out of place') standard for royals on walk-abouts/working strikes me as unnecessarily punitive criticism. Very uncomfortable to endlessly read. JMO. Has nothing to do with anything. Hair does what it does in the course of a day. Nothing that should be fussed about. :cool:

Hair can be assisted though ;)

I didn't mind the bun at all. Only the loose hairlock. That I found a bit sloppy, especially since she swiped it out of her face. Although I suppose it was a playful approach to not appear too severe.

Hair can be assisted though ;)

I didn't mind the bun at all. Only the loose hairlock. That I found a bit sloppy, especially since she swiped it out of her face. Although I suppose it was a playful approach to not appear too severe.

I do think that was the case because if you look at the video footage, she was wiping them away, but not putting them behind her ear when she could've easily done that.

Was/Is it windy in Brixton today?

To me, I don't think she planned to wear her hair up. It looks like it was quick makeshift bun. it's what I do when its windy and/or rainy. But I always have a headband and rubber band (Goody not a regular hair band it will rip your hair) with me just in case.

This is her 4th time in the spotlight as the fiancee (engagement, 1st royal walkabout, Christmas and now this). She is still learning. Look she left behind the cumbersome bags (and now she will realize she needs something to do with her hands i.e. the clutch!).

Otherwise, good luck! It's Professional without being too out of place.

Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part One: November 2017 -

I did think her hair looked a bit sloppy. I like messy buns- when it looks like they were intentionally meant to look like that. But- this has more of a rushed look about it.

The rest of her outfit was fine. I’m not crazy about lots of monochrome and/or neutral outfits, but there’s nothing wrong with it.

The wide- legged trousers did make me smile just thinking that that can be an....unpopular style choice.

Last edited:
This is her 4th time in the spotlight as the fiancee (engagement, 1st royal walkabout, Christmas and now this). She is still learning. Look she left behind the cumbersome bags (and now she will realize she needs something to do with her hands i.e. the clutch!).

Would it really be easier with a clutch than bag though? A clutch is just going to take up a whole hand whereas she can at least hold something else in her hand as she grabs onto the handle. They'd both get in the way. I think she should just bring whatever, and then hand it off to an aide if there are impromptu walkabouts.

I think pants as long as it's not breaking any actual protocol (which is a different issue than whether it's typical). But, I read that all black does break it. Am I right? I know the coat is a different color, but once she took it off, were the black sweater and pants against protocol?

I think pants as long as it's not breaking any actual protocol (which is a different issue than whether it's typical). But, I read that all black does break it. Am I right? I know the coat is a different color, but once she took it off, were the black sweater and pants against protocol?

That's another one of those protocol versus typical. There isn't a specific protocol, it's just not done very often.

I did think her hair looked a bit sloppy. I like messy buns- when it looks like they were intentionally meant to look like that. But- this has more of a rushed look about it.

The rest of her outfit was fine. I’m not crazy about lots of monochrome and/or neutral outfits, but there’s nothing wrong with it.

The wide- legged trousers did make me smile just thinking that that can be an....unpopular style choice.

When short and/or stockier women wear wide pant legs it can make them look boxy/heavier. Meghan is tall enough and svelte enough to work the wide leg.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom