Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like everything from head to toe. The curl on the beret is to make it distinct.

She looks great. Appropriate and fitting for her first appearance with the family :flowers:

I love the coat. Yes its big, but its a wrap coat and meant to be. Lovely color and style on her. And I love the boots as well ?

Not always a fan of velvet but I am in love with the color of the dress under. :flowers:

Happy she is wearing an actual hat and not a fascinator. Not my favorite hat though, but it is her first try. But not a fan of the thing on the side of it.

I find it a blah outfit.

I guess it is appropriate, but I don't think it flattering.

I guess lol. I've seen a few pics with her arm straight and the length isn't an issue...maybe the width.

I think it’s the combination of the coat and the hat and the boots. If she had chosen one that’s...less heavy material, then it’d have a lighter feel overall, but then she might get cold.

The hat is terrible. I like the coat but she isn't tall enough to pull it off with the boots.

The colors look good on her, but I hope we see her in more jewel tones in the future.

I like the beige and brown combination,the coat is fine but looks big on her the hat is terrible,i think her overall look is fine however i still think she played too safe nothing wooooow and dazzling in her clothes choices not what i expect from Hollywood star.

I love the coat, I could do without the hat or the boots. Suede boots should never be brown.

I don’t think the coat is ill-fitted for this style. But perhaps a military coat would’ve worked better with the hat/beret. I like the collar, but it could’ve worked better here with less collar. I think if she took off the hat, it would’ve worked a lot better. It still ends up being problem with the hat. :lol:

Last edited:
She's not really a Hollywood Star though. She had a role on a cable show. She didn't grow up famous and the only reason she's become so known now is because she's been dating/marrying Harry.

She lived a pretty ordinary/normal life before Harry. She never had to deal with paps and security prior to.

LaRae

I think it’s the combination of the coat and the hat and the boots. If she had chosen one that’s...less heavy material, then it’d have a lighter feel overall, but then she might get cold.

Hmmm...I don't know. I've seen a few videos now and I like the look even more in motion. Doesn't look too heavy or big. I've even come around a bit on the hat. It's a cute, stylish look overall, I think.

I do think she played things relatively safe. She's not yet a royal and likely didn't want to take away from them. As it is, most pictures with them in a group seem focused on her.

I'm not mad at her for the outfit - I really like it but I love caramel tones. Plus she also put on a clinic on how to do minimalist tone on tone style today. Love it for that part alone.

Wish I could see the dress though.

I like the beige and brown combination,the coat is fine but looks big on her the hat is terrible,i think her overall look is fine however i still think she played too safe nothing wooooow and dazzling in her clothes choices not what i expect from Hollywood star.
Maybe that's the point. She has left the Hollywood/TV star behind and now is transitioning to being a member of the BRF. She is also not an official member of the family as yet.
I could well imagine the reaction if she has dressed like a Hollywood star and overshadowed everyone else! Some people got the vapours over the gown from the official engagement photos....They would have had heart attacks if she had turned up dressed too Hollywood! :whistling:

I do think she played things relatively safe. She's not yet a royal and likely didn't want to take away from them. As it is, most pictures with them in a group seem focused on her.

I'm not mad at her for the outfit - I really like it but I love caramel tones. Plus she also put on a clinic on how to do minimalist tone on tone style today. Love it for that part alone.

Wish I could see the dress though.

Relatively safe in the colors she chose? I can see that. But when it comes to her actual fashion, she's always gone for chic yet simple, even in her red carpet looks. That's one of the reasons I was surprised by her dress choice in the engagement photos. It was more daring than what she normally goes for.

Hmmm...I don't know. I've seen a few videos now and I like the look even more in motion. Doesn't look too heavy or big. I've even come around a bit on the hat. It's a cute, stylish look overall, I think.

I thought about it again, and decided that had she gone with a thinner hat or smaller collar, that would’ve solved her problem. I agree that she looked great in motion. I’m beginning to see that it’s just the close ups that seems a bit heavy. She probably thought it looked fine when she looked in a full length mirror at home, but photographers like to take close ups and use only those. That might have been the issue here.

Relatively safe in the colors she chose? I can see that. But when it comes to her actual fashion, she's always gone for chic yet simple, even in her red carpet looks. That's one of the reasons I was surprised by her dress choice in the engagement photos. It was more daring than what she normally goes for.

I think FashionMaven is talking about just today.

I don’t think the engagement photos were that daring for her style from past, but definitely more daring if you look at previous BRF engagement photos even though her dress was lined as opposed to the original runway version. I chuckled at it when I first saw it because I knew there will be freak outs over it. But I thoroughly enjoyed what she chose for those photos.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yep - I was.

I also think she was being safe a bit in her choice of hat. It was a simple hat and silhouette with just a small frill for interest - but it was modern in style and not fussy (a la Beatrice and Eugenie).

But overall I think it fit with her modern minimalist aesthetic - tone on tone is always a win with that aesthetic and I think she chose a hat that one chooses when not trying to overpower the look with a hat and also want something tone on tone that stands out a bit but doesn't scream out.

I don’t think the engagement photos were that daring for her style from past, but definitely more daring if you look at previous BRF engagement photos even though her dress was lined as opposed to the original runway version. I chuckled at it when I first saw it because I knew there will be freak outs over it. But I thoroughly enjoyed what she chose for those photos.

I didn't think the engagement photos were a departure from her past style - I thought it was probably her finally getting to indulge her style aesthetic that's been there all along. If you look at her past style choices, she's also a fan of contrast - lace with leather, sleek with a peek of a restrained frill. It's just that she hasn't been able to wear that caliber of gown in her career as much, so when she could ... she did.

Maybe I see my style as similar - so I could see the easy progression from what we've seen of her as a lesser known celeb - even at premieres - to that engagement gown.

The gown seemed like it was utterly created for HER to wear - she wore it so well. Her hair and coloring with that gown was perfection.

I think the one thing Meghan gets right every time is that she picks colors that work perfectly with her complexion. I'm a few shades darker than Meghan (more of a true caramel - although I'm more like a light butterscotch in winter), but caramel and camel tones and sheer warm blacks look great on me. As does burgundy.

I'm really looking forward to her style evolution over the years.

Oh, I just meant daring, in that, she went for a more elaborate look, which is a departure from her more simple, minimalist style. The "sheer" top wasn't really daring to me, as it was obvious that it was lined. I was baffled to see some people deem it inappropriate.

Last edited:
I think the hat would've been better if it didn't have the side thing. It's always a little awkward to see people who don't usually wear hats wear hats at first. So I'm not going to hate on her for that. :lol:

I agree. I would hate to see what I would wear if I had to start wearing hats! Probably I would look like Minnie Pearl, with the price tag hanging down in front of my face! LOL!:lol:

I don't like her hat. This brown is bad color for her. The coat is nice but hats require more fitted coats.

Meghan's coat is fantastic on her. The hat is ghastly. It's too big on her; it makes her head look like a mushroom.

I hope she tries more color in the future. She may be wanting to fit in, rather than stand out to begin with. Plus, don't forget the brouhaha over the engagement photo dress.

I like the boots, but I am partial to Stuart Weitzman and own several pairs of their boots. She might want to get them tailored so that they don't bunch up so much.

Hmm, in motion, the outfit looks much better than in pics.

I hope she tries more color in the future. She may be wanting to fit in, rather than stand out to begin with. Plus, don't forget the brouhaha over the engagement photo dress.

I like the boots, but I am partial to Stuart Weitzman and own several pairs of their boots. She might want to get them tailored so that they don't bunch up so much.

Can you get boots tailored? I’ve never heard of it. Her calves are toned, but they are incredibly thin. I thought she should just stick to structured boots as they don’t need to cling to her to stay up, but they may leave open space in the circumference and not keep her as warm.

Hmm, in motion, the outfit looks much better than in pics.

It really does, doesn't it? Maybe she should do what Cher Horowitz in Clueless did, and take Polaroids of her outfits before wearing them.

Okay, well I couldn't get that to work. You can find tutorials of taking in boots on Youtube.

Boots tend to flap around on my calves unless I get the kind with a stretchy material.

Can you get boots tailored? I’ve never heard of it. Her calves are toned, but they are incredibly thin. I thought she should just stick to structured boots as they don’t need to cling to her to stay up, but they may leave open space in the circumference and not keep her as warm.

I'm quite sure you can get boots custom made to your leg/foot.

LaRae

She looks great. The coat is very beautiful and elegant. I don't like the hat though.

She looks fine but as she has such a small frame, these belted coats swamp her. She looks lovely in fitted coats such as the navy blue one.

I really don't like the hat - it looks out of proportion.

And I'd love to see some more colour - the palette since the engagement is very neutral.

She stands out in the neutral tones, given what the other ladies are wearing. I love her in that coat, especially the way the belt is tied --- almost a Japanese simplicity to the knot. The bag is cute if a bit quirky and the hat is not so great, even though she looks wonderful. Thumbs up on the boots and that smile. ?

It really does, doesn't it? Maybe she should do what Cher Horowitz in Clueless did, and take Polaroids of her outfits before wearing them.

That’d be pretty cool. She would have a vast collection after a few years and maybe it’ll see the light of day one day.

(..)

Thought Meghan looked nicely and appropriately dressed.

Loved the coat, hat and boots. Not too fond of the handbag.

I love her style...it's very polished. And it seems she's been helping our her fiancè too, in the fashion stakes. Maybe she can give her future brother-in-law a few tips ;)

I love everything about this look from head to toe (including the handbag). Love the colour choice. I am so going to enjoy following her on the fashion front - what a welcome ejection of elegance to the British Royal family.

I second that!!

Thank for that pic. I was wondering what she wore underneath the coat. It looks like a burgundy dress. Is that the same dress she wore to the Invictus Opening Ceremony?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom