The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 12:27 PM
Majesty

You are better off not seeing Erdem....but if you must, look at her clothing (some of it) from the Nordic trip.

LaRae

Old 04-12-2018, 01:44 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingdoors View Post
I have no idea who Erdem is, but all I know is when I look at most of Catherine royal engagement outfits I find it suitable and appropriate for the job and status she holds. And I actually find many of her outfits pleasing and well constructed. Meghan on the other hand...

Also no one said she needs to become a Catherine clone. But using a stylist who understands what is suitable to wear as a working royal [to be] would truly help Meghan to look and become the part- so to speak.

Which brings me back to heels to a sports event. You know, I would have been happy with a low block heel boots.
And maybe that's the difference. I've found Meghan's outfits to be suitable and appropriate for the job and status she holds as well. To me that's the only requirement for royal fashion in order to look the part. Now subjectively, I don't find all of Kate's outfits pleasing, inspired or particularly stylish, but that's my own personal taste and has nothing to do with her ability to do her job. Just because we don't share the same taste, I would never accuse Kate of not having a sense of style. She has a very clearly defined fashion sense. I just don't always like it. [shrugs] I would hope people would judge Meghan's style by the same measure.

Yes my only comment (and I posted it at the time) re: Bath was I wish she hadn't worn a jean cut that required heels. I don't think a low block heel or flat boot would've worked with the jeans length. At the same time, I wasn't personally affronted by the choice because I knew she wasn't going to break into a sprint around the track.

Old 04-12-2018, 01:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Some might not like her clothes, but to say Meghan's clothing is unsuitable is going too far. Nothing has been inappropriate or unsuitable. Some people really needs to understand what they LIKE or expects the royals to wear is different than what is appropriate or suitable.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:12 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Some might not like her clothes, but to say Meghan's clothing is unsuitable is going too far. Nothing has been inappropriate or unsuitable. Some people really needs to understand what they LIKE or expects the royals to wear is different than what is appropriate or suitable.
Unsuitable for the job, not in general.
Royal engagement are now her job, I expect her to dress suitably for the job and type of engagement.
Just like I would expect a ceo to wear a suit or as close to that and not a pair of jeans and t-shirt or (heaven help me) sweatsuit.
Just as I would expect a chef to wear chef whites, and actor/ess to dress to the role or a red carpet event.

So yes, I expect her to dress for the job of working royal [to be], and be aware of the type of engagements she’s attending and dress accordingly (ie: no stiletto to a laid back sporting event)

In general I expected her to have a stronger grasp of this, seeing as she comes from the entertainment industry, was giving fashion advice, and as I read and understood was friends with people who understood fashion and dressing the part.
She’s coming in into a new job in a new country, the smart thing to do would have been to set aside her most of her personal likings and preferences and let someone else, someone who understands the job and the outfits right for it build her engagements outfits. Teach her what is suitable for her new position. Hack I know big shot managers and ceo’s who do that when they change jobs, let alone jobs to a new country.

I have friends who grew in a culture where jeans is accepted to a wedding and even the office, then they moved to the USA and learned that office fashion is very different in the US than back home. So they adjusted and adapted to what was suitable in their new job (the smart ones did their homework ahead of time).
Meghan’s office is now royal engagements.

You say the royal women have no uniform, but they kinda do. It varies slightly, but the jist of it is the same.
And honestly? If non working royals like autumn and Zara can pull it off on the rare occasion they attend a royal event so can Meghan Markle who is about to be a working royal (officially).

And test I am very critical because she is not a naive 20 or even 25 year old with zero experience in dressing appropriate to the office. She’s 36 years old coming from an industry where fashion is of major importance.

Again this is all just my personal opinion and perspective.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Royal engagement are now her job, I expect her to dress suitably for the job and type of engagement.
Just like I would expect a ceo to wear a suit or as close to that and not a pair of jeans and t-shirt or (heaven help me) sweatsuit.
Just as I would expect a chef to wear chef whites, and actor/ess to dress to the role or a red carpet event.

So yes, I expect her to dress for the job of working royal [to be], and be aware of the type of engagements she’s attending and dress accordingly (ie: no stiletto to a laid back sporting event)

In general I expected her to have a stronger grasp of this, seeing as she comes from the entertainment industry, was giving fashion advice, and as I read and understood was friends with people who understood fashion and dressing the part.
She’s coming in into a new job in a new country, the smart thing to do would have been to set aside her most of her personal likings and preferences and let someone else, someone who understands the job and the outfits right for it build her engagements outfits. Teach her what is suitable for her new position. Hack I know big shot managers and ceo’s who do that when they change jobs, let alone jobs to a new country.

I have friends who grew in a culture where jeans is accepted to a wedding and even the office, then they moved to the USA and learned that office fashion is very different in the US than back home. So they adjusted and adapted to what was suitable in their new job (the smart ones did their homework ahead of time).
Meghan’s office is now royal engagements.

You say the royal women have no uniform, but they kinda do. It varies slightly, but the jist of it is the same.
And honestly? If non working royals like autumn and Zara can pull it off on the rare occasion they attend a royal event so can Meghan Markle who is about to be a working royal (officially).

And test I am very critical because she is not a naive 20 or even 25 year old with zero experience in dressing appropriate to the office. She’s 36 years old coming from an industry where fashion is of major importance.

Again this is all just my personal opinion and perspective.
Except, she has not dressed wrong in how formal/informal it should be. She's not dressing in jeans when the event calls for a day dress and hat. There has been other royals that didn't wear sneakers to sporting events. She's hardly the first one. Hell, there has been heels and skirt/dress while participating in sport events. So in that sense, no Meghan absolutely didn't break what's considered appropriate for "royal uniform" at a sporting event. She was expected to make an appearance and chat with the athletes, not compete. As long as she feels like she can walk in it, it's appropriate.

It's very interesting that you talk about how you are very critical because she should know better about what to wear, yet you say she needs to put aside her personal liking because she doesn't know better. Which is it? Either she should know better or she shouldn't. Again, it might not be to your liking or what you think she should wear, but that hardly makes it inappropriate or unsuitable.

I can't believe people are still freaking out over this after pages and pages.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:24 PM
Royal Highness

Meghan - black pants, stilletto boots
https://whatmeghanwore.net/wp-conten...Via-RBL-Tw.jpg

Crown princess Mary - black pants, stilletto boots
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DalfqPUXcAckOpl.jpg
Old 04-12-2018, 04:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
Meghan - black pants, stilletto boots
https://whatmeghanwore.net/wp-conten...Via-RBL-Tw.jpg

Crown princess Mary - black pants, stilletto boots
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DalfqPUXcAckOpl.jpg
One is in more formal wear while one is in a more relaxed outfit for a more laid back event. How about you use that picture of Meghan and Harry walking through the doorway at Edinburgh for a more apples to apples comparison.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:36 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
One is in more formal wear while one is in a more relaxed outfit for a more laid back event. How about you use that picture of Meghan and Harry walking through the doorway at Edinburgh for a more apples to apples comparison.
I think it's better to add this picture:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-iRSM7zopCM...ss-Mary-10.jpg
Old 04-12-2018, 04:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Suitor View Post
And maybe that's the difference. I've found Meghan's outfits to be suitable and appropriate for the job and status she holds as well. To me that's the only requirement for royal fashion in order to look the part. Now subjectively, I don't find all of Kate's outfits pleasing, inspired or particularly stylish, but that's my own personal taste and has nothing to do with her ability to do her job. Just because we don't share the same taste, I would never accuse Kate of not having a sense of style. She has a very clearly defined fashion sense. I just don't always like it. [shrugs] I would hope people would judge Meghan's style by the same measure.
Exactly so. I wish this nuance was more actively held as it becomes tiresome to hear a poster's displeasure with royal's pants (for example) for the thousand time, or the hair being pulled back too tight or too loose or whatever. These negatives get repeated endlessly when it is clear this is a style issue and the royal in question is not going to change their style.

I for one have no trouble with what Meghan has been wearing. I think she has occasionally been caught out with what she encounters weather-wise, or environmentally (cobblestones), but she is on a learning curve and she is likely taking notes. It's clear Harry is no help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Suitor View Post
Yes my only comment (and I posted it at the time) re: Bath was I wish she hadn't worn a jean cut that required heels. I don't think a low block heel or flat boot would've worked with the jeans length. At the same time, I wasn't personally affronted by the choice because I knew she wasn't going to break into a sprint around the track.
She is also figuring it all out. I'm sure if we could read her diary she's making resolutions.

Quote:
In a nutshell. Well said.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
I think it's better to add this picture:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-iRSM7zopCM...ss-Mary-10.jpg
I'm really not seeing how she looks better or more royal here than Meghan. It might be what some considered "appropriate" because she wore sneakers, but like I said Meghan is not the first royal/quasi royal, nor will she be the last, to wear heels to sporting event where everyone else is in sneakers.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:42 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:

So yes, I expect her to dress for the job of working royal [to be], and be aware of the type of engagements she’s attending and dress accordingly (ie: no stiletto to a laid back sporting event).
Again, I don't find her outfits unsuitable for her job as a member of the BRF so we'll just have to agree to disagree. So be it.

Quote:
I argued earlier in this thread that their was a perceived "royal uniform" and much of the critique of Meghan was for not following that uniform. Others said that wasn't the issue since other royal women (e.g. Letizia, Mary) don't follow that style. Thanks for proving my point.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:30 AM
Majesty

I don't know what is wrong with some of you. The basic tenet of fairness seems to have become as rare as a unicorn.

Comparisons have been made between Meghan and Catherine's dress and style. Needless to say, Meghan is coming up short. But Catherine and William first met in 2001 and later dated for six odd years before they got engaged and married seven years ago.

People are comparing Meghan's style on half a dozen or so casual engagements to that of a woman who has been a member of the BRF for over 7 years and in the case of Princess Mary, a member of the Danish Royal Family for 14 years. Needless to say, that is not a level playing field. In fact, it makes no pretence of being a fair comparison so my question is, why?

Not surprisingly, Meghan is not generally as polished as other women of the BRF and their European counterparts and her style is different. Personally, I am going to enjoy seeing her gaining polish but would neither expect or want her to change her personal sense of style because it is different, unique to her and, most important to me, it appeals to me.

I look forward to seeing her at some of the CHOGAM events and privately lament that I won't see her at the banquet in an evening gown and jewelled clasps in her hair, but hey, the wedding is next month.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:07 PM
Heir Apparent

I like the way she dresses. She's never been inappropriate. As much as I love Catherine's style, sometimes it's boring and too mumsy. It's just an opinion.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhea6 View Post
It’s not about the “uniform” and it’s definately not about turning into Kate 2.0.

To give an example Queen Leticia and princess Sofia wear ALL types of styles but it’s about the colours and the fact that they are tailor made for them , meghans sadly comes out the opposite ! And the hair ? It’s obvious she doesn’t have an hairstylist and the messy hair looks unkempt and like she didn’t bother at all !

I reiterate that It’s NOT only about this recent appearance but discussion is based on all of her appearances . I admire Meghan too and I want her to shine in her role and for that she needs good styling . And she isn’t a young girl who is finding her feet , she is a mature 36 year old woman !!
That is also the reason why it’s shocking that she is yet to come out with a va va voom appearance!
If Meghan came out with a 'va va voom appearance,' (whatever that is supposed to be ) you and others would still find something to criticize.

The level and amount of petty critiques directed at Meghan for a 'casual dress' appearance at a sporting event is rather OTT, and exceedingly pretentious. H&M's appearance at this event does not warrant such heavy criticism. They both looked fine and quite comfortable. More power to Meghan for wanting to wear heels. It might not have been my choice, but I see no need to become apoplectic about it. Since she's a bit shorter than Harry, Meghan may prefer to wear heels for most of their public appearances. She wore flats for their first official appearance at the Invictus Games last September.

IMO, no one is perfect all the time. But what I admire about Meghan sartorially is her laid-back, yet fresh, appealing, and up-to-date sense of style and her spot-on feel for what works for her body and her aesthetic, as well as for each occasion. Even despite my wanting to see something different in terms of color palette on some occasions, Meghan has carried off every appearance with aplomb and confidence.

I personally feel that Meghan's casual, yet elegantly appealing sense of personal style is rubbing off on some of the other royal ladies (in terms of certain accessories, styling selection, silhouette choices and pulling together looks that are comfortable but also complimentary to the occasion, and not giving off an attention-seeking vibe). All eyes are already on Meghan. She doesn't need 'va va voom' fireworks in what she chooses to wear.

In particular, I have enjoyed Meghan's Sandringham outfit, the unexpected engagement picture outfits, the Endeavour Fund tux, the Commonwealth service white coat, navy dress and heels, the boatneck plaid blazer and fitted trousers she wore in Wales, and the styling at the waist of the black pants she wore in Scotland, and especially the lovely green skirt, cream coat and burnt orange heels she wore in Ireland. I also thought the stylish beige maxi skirt and black turtleneck Meghan wore in Birmingham worked beautifully. There are some critiques I have for some of Meghan's accessories, styling and the absence of more color at times, but that's a bit of nitpicking and personal preference on my part.

ETA: I also love the burgundy pleated dress and leather jacket Meghan wore to the Invictus Games opening ceremonies, the Erdem maxi dress she wore to the Inskips' wedding, and the gorgeous Antonio Berardi sleeveless navy dress she wore to Prince Harry's polo match last May.

It's fine and normal for everyone to have critical preferences, but the dire, OTT nature of some critiques here re Meghan's styling choices are a bit much.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:41 PM
Courtier

It's all a matter of personal taste, I can't personally think of one outfit she's worn that I liked. And for the life of me I can't see a 'style', all I see is a mishmash of pieces that are shapeless and colorless. Oh, with a nice handbag. (..)
Old 04-16-2018, 07:46 PM
Majesty

(..)
IMO her best look so far has been Ireland. I'm not a big fan of the much repeated black or monochrome.

LaRae
Old 04-16-2018, 07:59 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
She's way ahead of where Sarah was at this point....I don't expect her to be anything like Sarah when it comes to clothing.

IMO her best look so far has been Ireland. I'm not a big fan of the much repeated black or monochrome.

LaRae
(..) I think Meghan's got it in her to look fabulous once she grows into her role. (..)

She looked okay in NI (still shapeless and drab), except the color scheme she went with wasn't a good choice for someone in her position as the green and orange are political colors that are still controversial. And the pony blanket in Edinburgh, and the trousers dragging in the mud, the ill-fitting and scuffed up shoes...I mean it's getting to be quite the laundry list for how few engagements she's had so far.

Yes, I'll give her a break because she's learning. But I hope she ramps it up soon, because she's really boring to watch as far as fashion goes right now.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:03 PM
Majesty

(..) She needs to get some items altered and fitted.

Some of her clothing is made to wear big (and I am not a fan of some of the coats) as is the style. I prefer a more fitted look.

LaRae
Old 04-16-2018, 08:16 PM
Courtier

(..) Many of the Meghan OTT critiques seem to be caught up with some kind of negativity directed toward her personally IMO. I certainly do not get the 'mishmash, shapeless, colorless' critique. Meghan has a casual, laid-back California style with a pulled together sophistication that apparently goes over some people's heads.

In any case, for now Meghan seems to be purposely not wanting her appearances to be all about her clothes. She always looks comfortable, confident and able to pull off every outfit. Whatever some commenters are seeing to be so overly negative about is questionable, but to each their own need to nitpick and tear down. If it's to that scale of dislike and negativity, there's nothing you'll ever be pleased by when it comes to Meghan.

The absence of brighter colors does not equate to colorless. Meghan has worn colors, but more in a particular color palette, with lots of black, white, navy, and some cream, beige, green, plaid, the burnt orange shoes, etc. And before the engagement, the burgundy pleated dress was lovely. Here are some of Meghan's best looks pre and post her relationship with Prince Harry. Scroll down to the gallery:

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebr...workout-class/

In the final weeks leading up to the wedding, Meghan likely has a lot on her mind, and surely some pre-wedding jitters, and last minute dress fittings. Most brides do tend to lose a bit of weight due to stress. In any case, Meghan has never seemed to be overweight.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:20 PM
Serene Highness

I happen to like the clothing Meghan wears, and I love those coats of hers. belted and unfitted is okay for sometimes we wear sweaters under coats for an extra layer of clothing on freezing cold days.

One thing about royal ladies and their clothes, they can NOT please everyone all the time....we are all different in our opinions of clothing. Some more negative then others...

Closed Thread