The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 12:59 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't know about the Royal 'uniform' and in the BRF all the females have their own style. However, Spring is there in Britain and warmer weather is on its way. I doubt very much that we'll see Meghan in a lot of bright colours but don't think it will be black pants at the height of summer either. Looking forward to white, to prints and to splashes of colour and some nice dresses.

Old 04-08-2018, 01:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part One: November 2017 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I don't know about the Royal 'uniform' and in the BRF all the females have their own style. However, Spring is there in Britain and warmer weather is on its way. I doubt very much that we'll see Meghan in a lot of bright colours but don't think it will be black pants at the height of summer either. Looking forward to white, to prints and to splashes of colour and some nice dresses.

I mean uniform as in color so it stands out so we can spot them. Suitable dress that doesn’t blow up in the wind ( this took Kate ages to figure out ) etc. I still think she would be better off with a different stylist
All I know is I and everyone else would never have been able to see the Queen that day if she wasn’t in a bright outfit.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:55 AM
Courtier

I was very surprised to come here and see all of this 'commotion' for an outfit worn to a sporting event.

I saw her outfit on twitter and thought - oh, it's for Invictus, it's casual, not much to see here. A polo and jeans... cool.

(..)
I love fashion. I love discussing fashion - the history of it - shape, silhouette, etc... But the trench coat is being pilloried like she showed up in a garbage bag, lol.
(..)

I thought it was just a sporting event.

Vogue seemed fine with it: https://www.vogue.com/article/meghan...ty-royal-style

I'll go with Anna on this one.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:02 PM
Courtier

(..)
This is a fashion thread, if we all had the same taste and style we'd all be dressed the same and the world would be a boring place. Some here seem to take any criticism of Meghan as a challenge and a call to arms. We are all entitled to our opinions.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:15 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy- View Post
THIS
This is a fashion thread, if we all had the same taste and style we'd all be dressed the same and the world would be a boring place. Some here seem to take any criticism of Meghan as a challenge and a call to arms. We are all entitled to our opinions.
As I said - I have no issue with criticism. What startled me was the harshness of it given we were discussing such a casual outfit.

I hadn't seen Meghan in the trench yet. I saw a tweet of her in just the jeans and tee shirt and shoes. I thought okay - it's just casual - moving on and waiting for the next outfit.

Then I came here and saw the criticism - and honestly - criticism is mild for the tone, tenor and kind of comments I saw. It was like a twitter dragging - way beyond criticism.

I thought - wow - maybe I missed something and the coat is a hot mess. So I looked at the trench.

Nope - no issue there either. I might have chosen a traditional color trench, but olive and black are fine, so ... ???

But the comments just seemed so ... ratcheted up for such a casual outfit.

I think that's where my disconnect is coming from. Like I said - I don't mind criticism. I'm just calling out how harsh the tone was relative to the occasion and outfit.

I just didn't expect folks to drag her so hard for an olive trench coat and heels. (..)
Old 04-08-2018, 02:23 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionMaven View Post
As I said - I have no issue with criticism. What startled me was the harshness of it given we were discussing such a casual outfit.

I hadn't seen Meghan in the trench yet. I saw a tweet of her in just the jeans and tee shirt and shoes. I thought okay - it's just casual - moving on and waiting for the next outfit.

Then I came here and saw the criticism - and honestly - criticism is mild for the tone, tenor and kind of comments I saw. It was like a twitter dragging - way beyond criticism.

I thought - wow - maybe I missed something and the coat is a hot mess. So I looked at the trench.

Nope - no issue there either. I might have chosen a traditional color trench, but olive and black are fine, so ... ???

I think that's where my disconnect is coming from. Like I said - I don't mind criticism. I'm just calling out how harsh the tone was relative to the occasion and outfit.

I just didn't expect folks to drag her so hard for an olive trench coat and heels. (..)

Did you read all the posts? Early on there were very specific reasons folks had as to why or what they didn't like about her outfit. It isn't just about an olive trench coat and heels. It's the venue and event they were worn to that is causing the head scratching.

LaRae
Old 04-08-2018, 02:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Did you read all the posts? Early on there were very specific reasons folks had as to why or what they didn't like about her outfit. It isn't just about an olive trench coat and heels. It's the venue and event they were worn to that is causing the head scratching.

LaRae
I got that folks are mad she wore a trench coat to a stadium - and heels. I guess since I've seen folks do both I still think the reaction was overwrought.

Some folks don't really do "sporty".

I also think she's re-wearing clothes (which is great), so she couldn't wear flats with the jeans, or sneakers because they'd be too long, so she wore the boots. And she wasn't sinking into the grass, so...

Like I said though - it was a distinct shift in tone that I noticed and then kind of a piling on that startled me. Especially for such a casual outfit.

But we're just repeating ourselves at this point.

I'm fine to drop it if you are, I've said what I meant to say.
Old 04-08-2018, 03:15 PM
Courtier

(..)

I just want to see Meghan be herself in this space and make that work for her. In terms of her speeches so far and what she's said, she's hitting it out of the park. Her wardrobe has mixed reviews - but that's to be expected (though maybe not the tone, but we've been through that, lol).

My hope is that she'll settle in eventually - though based on the response to heels and a trench, she clearly won't please some. Best to please herself and her (future) husband - at least if she gets excoriated, she'll believe in what she was doing/wearing/presenting herself as.

And who knows - maybe she'll look back and go "I could have put a different polish on that outfit"... but hell, we all do that.

I wish folks would give her the benefit of the doubt more often.
Old 04-08-2018, 03:24 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:

I just didn't expect folks to drag her so hard for an olive trench coat and heels. I mean - WTF.

Maybe it's a cumulative effect and folks are just venting out weeks of frustration that Meghan isn't dressing how they'd like and the full force of it vomited all over the thread after this outfit.
Quote:
I think you're both right. And Pranter I did follow the posts from the beginning. What started out as valid critiques of that day's outfit quickly became a dogpile. I think Xenia even commented that she almost didn't post for that reason. Hard for me to believe that people were that heated about an outfit for a sports event so I made my comment and stepped out of the fray. I took it as venting cumulative frustration or just people having a bad Friday but it did make for a pretty joyless thread. Maybe that was par for the course on all the TRF fashion boards. If so...Yikes! Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-08-2018, 03:38 PM
Majesty

Quote:
(..)

I just want to see Meghan be herself in this space and make that work for her. In terms of her speeches so far and what she's said, she's hitting it out of the park. Her wardrobe has mixed reviews - but that's to be expected (though maybe not the tone, but we've been through that, lol).

My hope is that she'll settle in eventually - though based on the response to heels and a trench, she clearly won't please some. Best to please herself and her (future) husband - at least if she gets excoriated, she'll believe in what she was doing/wearing/presenting herself as.

And who knows - maybe she'll look back and go "I could have put a different polish on that outfit"... but hell, we all do that.

I wish folks would give her the benefit of the doubt more often.

There are times one has to change how they dress for their job or position in life. IMO Meghan has a new job. Some of her fashion choices need to be integrated together with the expectations of the role she's stepping into. Which is basically what I said yesterday at one point.

If I were at a sporting event I would think it fairly odd for a woman to be walking around in heels and a trench coat. It's not that her outfit was inappropriate or shocking...it just wasn't really in sync for the event she was at...and as I pointed out yesterday perhaps she was unaware of what folks normally wear to outside sport events since she herself wasn't really a sporty person.

I have already mentioned she should consider getting input from a local stylist with the idea of helping to interject more local fashion/style into her wardrobe. I loved her outfit for Ireland (the coat I'm ignoring). I am hoping we see more of that light color palate now that the weather has started to change.

LaRae
Old 04-08-2018, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Once again a number of posts and comments had to be removed as off-topic. As said before: Please stay on topic of this thread, thank you!
Old 04-08-2018, 04:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
There are times one has to change how they dress for their job or position in life. IMO Meghan has a new job. Some of her fashion choices need to be integrated together with the expectations of the role she's stepping into. Which is basically what I said yesterday at one point.

If I were at a sporting event I would think it fairly odd for a woman to be walking around in heels and a trench coat. It's not that her outfit was inappropriate or shocking...it just wasn't really in sync for the event she was at...and as I pointed out yesterday perhaps she was unaware of what folks normally wear to outside sport events since she herself wasn't really a sporty person.

I have already mentioned she should consider getting input from a local stylist with the idea of helping to interject more local fashion/style into her wardrobe. I loved her outfit for Ireland (the coat I'm ignoring). I am hoping we see more of that light color palate now that the weather has started to change.

LaRae
Sporty or not, people know what people wear to sporting events. However, she’s not there to participate or be a spectator. She’s there on official business. Her outfit is casual, but not overly so that she’ll be scorched for that. Let’s face it, if she did, people would get on her for being too casual as well.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:12 PM
Majesty

I don't think so..we see other royals dressing 'sporty casual' at sport events..folks don't complain, it's expected for that venue.

LaRae
Old 04-08-2018, 04:25 PM
Heir Apparent

I think its cute she wore heels to a sporting event.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 04-08-2018, 07:19 PM
Majesty

I'm picking that her general wardrobe is taking second place to all those wedding details. I don't think she had much of a choice with the heeled boots as her jeans were certainly not ankle length.

I don't believe that she has that many "casual" ensembles and I believe she is letting herself learn just what she is going to need to buy and the casual to formal ratio and remember, we haven't even got to the eveningwear cocktail dresses and gala gowns!

I think we all need to take a big breath and remember that she isn't even gotten married yet and is instead heading for the wedding of the year while trying to learn the finer points of a whole new culture. British and Royal.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:

I didn't see anyone dragging her, I know I certainly wasn't. The strongest comment I made was the trench reminded me of Pride and Prejudice and she should have worn flat shoes or trainers for the kind of event it was. I said the logo polo was appropriate and the jeans were fine and that she was improving.

Maybe I'm missing it, do you have an example of ratcheted up comments?
Old 04-11-2018, 08:23 AM
Gentry

What Missy said.
No one was putting her down, I think we’re all bewildered by the odd choice of stiletto boots at a sports event. Honestly even the most unsporty person knows you wear sneakers.

If the length of the pants were the issue - meaning they can’t be worn with sneakers she should have used a different set, I find it hard to believe the woman whos half of her wardrobe is literally made of black items doesn’t have more than one black jeans or long cargo pants, maybe a 7/8 pair.
Or if she was eager to wear this pair she could have rolled them up a bit, hack that would create a fashion buzz.

Her wardrobe choices are just odd and do not flatter her body shape, as well as do not fit her new job. For someone who used to give fashion advice in her blog (if I remember reading correctly, I never actually read the blog) she really is very clueless about fashion.
Jobs have uniform, as a chef I wore what is called chef whites- that was my uniform. I honestly think she should have, until the wedding, Used whomever is dressing Catherine as her stylist, have them create and build her outfits, make them look 100% what is expected of a royal, and once the wedding passed she should have slowly started adding her own personal touches.
I currently work at a job where I wear a black and white suit. During my first two weeks I wore zero jewelry, then I started adding my own touch and taste experimenting with different items and waited to see if any of my managers would say anything against certain items. But I first rolled back my personal taste because dressing the part and understanding company policy was more important.
But that’s just how I do things.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:44 AM
Gentry

Oh I love the hack you suggested re rolling the jeans up a bit.

My biggest quibble with Meghan right now is getting flowing locks to work for her instead of against her. Her face is lovely and the hair needs to be pulled back and controlled on blustery days so it can be photographed consistently.

The stilletto boots to an athletic event? Completely different issue---footwear that photographs well with the jeans but doesn't work in the field. I so want a stylist in Meghan's corner that understands that for the most part all her appearances are LIVE events, no do-overs, no mulligans, no second takes to adjust lighting and angles.

Evolving Doors----ditto to everything you said above. Just wanted to add the bit about Meghan's lovely smile.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:03 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingdoors View Post
Jobs have uniform, as a chef I wore what is called chef whites- that was my uniform. I honestly think she should have, until the wedding, Used whomever is dressing Catherine as her stylist, have them create and build her outfits, make them look 100% what is expected of a royal, and once the wedding passed she should have slowly started adding her own personal touches.
PLEASE GOD NO!!! Will be adding this to my nightly prayers as well as praying that Erdem is not part of the bridal fashion in any way. I have no interest in seeing Meghan dress as a Kate clone. Two different women, two different styles and that is OK. I'm sorry but if we ever see Meghan in a pastel coat dress, I'll know it is a cry for help and she is in the sunken place.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:09 AM
Gentry

for the Erdem reference

Erdem---singlehandedly responsible for more head-scratching moments from Kate and Victoria than any other designer, 2017-2018

Closed Thread