The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 05:32 PM
Majesty

I have been busy reading the posts about this latest engagement and I have to admit if I took the general tenor of many of you I would write Meghan off as a hot mess. However, I have noticed that there have been many children and young people at the events that Harry and Meghan have been attending and I think the way Meghan dresses for these engagements resonates with the people of all ages that they meet.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a "Meghan is perfection personified" fan, apart from anything else, it limits your ability to like enjoy both the H&M show and the fashion postmortem. So I will continue to like or loathe to my heart's content. So:

1. Hair - while I have never been a fan of royals with hair obscuring a woman's face, Meghan's hair is well cut and cared for and when a piece of hair flys across her face I am not going to throw my toys out of the cot. The thing that annoys me so much is hair that is styled in such a way that should a woman tip her head forward her hair becomes a solid curtain totally obscuring her face, her earrings, and tangling in necklaces, etc. Princess Madeline is, I believe, the queen of "loose hair" but somehow, although her hair is not up, we still see her face in profile, her earrings and jewellery. But that is the result of years of practice.

2. Shoes - Okay, so surprise, she like stiletto heeled shoes which just makes her an ordinary woman who likes shoes but the plus is she can afford really nice and pretty ones which just makes me yearn for yesteryear when all my shoes and bags either matched or were complimentary and the heels were high and I wore them every day.

3. Handbags - being a relatively short person, shoulder bags always slipped off because they were too long. Mid-sized bags are great and Meghan hasn't missed a beat in my personal handbag nirvana.

4. Coats - She has not worn one I didn't like but I wish for a bit more colour the same as many others here. So much so that the addition of white edging on a blue coat made me positively giddy.

5. General - She seems to be a hit with all the kids and young people even if I don't like her capri pants this time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Even though I'd like to see her in more color I'm okay with her overall 'work look'. If, however, she continues this monotone darker look for daytime in spring/summer (Ascot, the Trooping etc) then I will be disappointed.

LaRae
I'm with LaRae on this and am looking forward to seeing her ensemble for the Commonwealth Day Service, especially a formal hat. I am sure there will be a couple more engagements before the wedding and then I can OD on sugar with the rest of you. Then comes married life and with it, the joys of Ascot and The Trooping of the Colour etc. Hopefully, someone will tell her to save the black for Remembrance Day.

Old 03-08-2018, 05:48 PM
Majesty

Well I know Monday for Commonwealth they will be in more sedate colors so that doesn't bother me...considering it's a Church event.

I would love to see her hair in a loose bun/twist or something up so it doesn't fall across her face or where she is fiddling with it (pushing it back etc). The messy bun..not so much that..something more sleek. Definately good idea about Maddie ...she has that figured out.

I have loved all her handbags, if I win the lottery I'm going to be a purse owning fool! I'd love to see her purse closet.

I've liked all her coats except the engagement day coat and the Christmas day coat.

Shoes..for me the stilettos are a mis match in style to the outfit ..and not a fan of those long capris with those type of heel.

Am hoping when they go to Ireland she wears something with color (dare I hope for green?)...

LaRae

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
How is Jessica Mulroney justifying her [doubtless substantial] retainer? Given she must have EVERY single purveyor of Black trousers and Wrap Coats across the Nation on speed-dial.

Her client is doubtless a VERY busy Woman, but her 'stylist' CANNOT be, given her uninspired and 'samey' choices..
If this is true she certainly needs a new stylist. Sometimes it's better to not do business with friends.

LaRae

Old 03-08-2018, 06:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

I’m really disappointed and I worry for the wedding now. I always think every bride looks lovely but now I’m beginning to wonder.
Her coats look like dressing gowns with the tie instead of buttons.
The hair covering half her face. I hope she has an amazing hair style for her wedding and a beautiful dress
Old 03-08-2018, 06:31 PM
Courtier

No way should anyone be dangling their hair over people, like this:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/20...0510140322.jpg

Seriously.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:32 PM
Gentry

Keeping my fingers crossed for spring events----and I agree with those that think she needs a new stylist. Entertainment world calls for grabbing the spotlight, but bending over backwards to avoid it does not work for royals, I think. I'm an American and I think she needs to get a Brit or European on board, and quickly.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:46 PM
Gentry

Meghan looked fine. Meghan is an independent woman, who's held many jobs to support herself. She's developed her own mind and opinions, so she's going to wear what she likes. She doesn't care what others think and that's why I like her. Men don't have to play by these sexist rules, so why should women? What a wonderful message on a day as important as International Women's Day - BE YOURSELF! The people who met her didn't care whether she had on black pants; they were happy that she cared about them and their interests. Women are more than a wardrobe or hairstyle.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:08 PM
Majesty

This is a thread about fashion, hence the fashion discussion...if you think it's sexist (and we do talk about what men wear...can't remember how many times folks have talked about what Harry/William are wearing..and there is a thread for men) or somehow makes women nothing more than their clothing and hairstyle to discuss what they wear then perhaps you should skip this thread.

LaRae
Old 03-08-2018, 07:10 PM
Courtier

So I was at the Duchess of Cornwall's WOW reception today at Clarence House and then a panel at JP Morgan after that so I missed all of the Meghan photos until now! I have to go to bed though - we have a WOW panel I'm speaking on tomorrow!

I think Meghan looks amazing - heels with capri/ankle pants are the only way to wear them imo without looking stumpy - unless you're Audrey Hepburn. I love that Meghan is sticking to her style aesthetic and making it work for her.

More thoughts about her outfit choices later - I'm wiped out.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

At the moment I'm enjoying the clear differential between Meghan's style and any other British Royal (yes, I realise technically she's not a Royal yet). It's so refreshing to see less formal wear and someone who favours trousers be they Capri or wider fitting styles. The more restricted colour palette is to my taste, but I am sure she will mix it up from time to time. The handbags are another plus -such a change from the clutch bags favoured by other Royals.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:22 PM
Gentry

Quote:
This is a thread about fashion, hence the fashion discussion...if you think it's sexist (and we do talk about what men wear...can't remember how many times folks have talked about what Harry/William are wearing..and there is a thread for men) or somehow makes women nothing more than their clothing and hairstyle to discuss what they wear then perhaps you should skip this thread.

LaRae
This IS my opinion on fashion! Are you a moderator? If not, don't moderate my opinion. I was just making the observation that men don't get this type of scrutiny. Also, I was saying how I love that Meghan is her own person when it comes to her style choices. (...)
Old 03-08-2018, 07:44 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnsha View Post
This IS my opinion on fashion! Are you a moderator? If not, don't moderate my opinion. I was just making the observation that men don't get this type of scrutiny. Also, I was saying how I love that Meghan is her own person when it comes to her style choices. (..)
So because you think it is sexist to talk about women's fashions we must be subject to your negative comments about fashion discussions?

Gotcha.

LaRae
Old 03-08-2018, 07:55 PM
Heir Apparent

People please refresh the understanding of quoting a post.

Anyway I think the pants don't look good but her hair is amazing and beautiful it was a fantastic style and color and looked well put together. I admit I am exasperated by people acting like long hair is somehow a bad thing. There is no age limit in regards to hair length it's not like she is wearing pigtails.
As for Meghan's clothes I have not been impressed with anything she has worn; even her outfit to announce the engagement looked bad imo.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 03-08-2018, 08:08 PM
Gentry

Quote:
So because you think it is sexist to talk about women's fashions we must be subject to your negative comments about fashion discussions?

Gotcha.

LaRae
PLEASE! Men don't have to live up to this level of scrutiny. Yes, it's sexist. Where would you have me post my opinion on fashion? The fashion thread seemed most appropriate, so this is where I posted my statement. I will make sure to check with you before posting my OPINIONS in the future. I just couldn't live with myself if I continued to upset you.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:13 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
Her hair hangs down and covers her face. Needs to be off her face
Her hair looks dirty and unkempt, and I hate the way she keeps touching it and then shaking peoples' hands, gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
People please refresh the understanding of quoting a post.

Anyway I think the pants don't look good but her hair is amazing and beautiful it was a fantastic style and color and looked well put together. I admit I am exasperated by people acting like long hair is somehow a bad thing. There is no age limit in regards to hair length it's not like she is wearing pigtails.
As for Meghan's clothes I have not been impressed with anything she has worn; even her outfit to announce the engagement looked bad imo.

Her hair is the worst, dirty, unkempt, extensions are clearly visible, and she keeps touching it, she very ill-prepared, does not know what to do with her hands, maybe she needs to hold a clutch to keep her from touching her hair all the time
Old 03-08-2018, 08:17 PM
Majesty

Quote:
PLEASE! Men don't have to live up to this level of scrutiny. Yes, it's sexist. Where would you have me post my opinion on fashion? The fashion thread seemed most appropriate, so this is where I posted my statement. I will make sure to check with you before posting my OPINIONS in the future. I just couldn't live with myself if I continued to upset you.
LOL I'm not upset ... I just think it's the height of arrogance to lecture folks discussing fashion in a fashion thread. You aren't wanting to discuss fashion you want to discuss sexism.

LaRae
Old 03-08-2018, 08:32 PM
Majesty

Laughing hard. Trying to remember the answers Kate's fans give when she gets the 'she touches her hair too often, she needs to where her hair back, she wears the same style all the time'. Its amusing to see, even though two women have drastically different styles, they get the same complaints. From different people. Kate fashion fans seem to hurl the same complaints against Meghan, that they die heartedly defend Kate against. What ever happened to her....its her style. Its what she is comfortable in. You don't always have to wear your hair back when you have lovely hair. Its nerves (playing with it)

I love the coat. The white detail adds just a little extra. Great top under

Not a fan of the pants. To me they aren't capris. I guess maybe different concepts, but where I come from, capris usually fall just below the knee. They seem simply cropped pants. But what ever the term, seems odd choice for early March weather.

The purse is nice as well.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:34 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Meghan looked fine. Meghan is an independent woman, who's held many jobs to support herself. She's developed her own mind and opinions, so she's going to wear what she likes. She doesn't care what others think and that's why I like her. Men don't have to play by these sexist rules, so why should women? What a wonderful message on a day as important as International Women's Day - BE YOURSELF! The people who met her didn't care whether she had on black pants; they were happy that she cared about them and their interests. Women are more than a wardrobe or hairstyle.
Nothing wrong with being an independent person BUT she should care SHE IS REPRESENTIING Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth. It’s respectful. Differences of opinion on attire are allowed on this thread
Old 03-08-2018, 09:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie Rose View Post
No way should anyone be dangling their hair over people, like this:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/20...0510140322.jpg

Seriously.

Reminds me of “cousin it” from the Adam family
Old 03-08-2018, 09:16 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missjersey View Post
Nothing wrong with being an independent person BUT she should care SHE IS REPRESENTIING Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth. It’s respectful. Differences of opinion on attire are allowed on this thread
And I delivered mine.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Laughing hard. Trying to remember the answers Kate's fans give when she gets the 'she touches her hair too often, she needs to where her hair back, she wears the same style all the time'. Its amusing to see, even though two women have drastically different styles, they get the same complaints. From different people. Kate fashion fans seem to hurl the same complaints against Meghan, that they die heartedly defend Kate against. What ever happened to her....its her style. Its what she is comfortable in. You don't always have to wear your hair back when you have lovely hair. Its nerves (playing with it)

I love the coat. The white detail adds just a little extra. Great top under

Not a fan of the pants. To me they aren't capris. I guess maybe different concepts, but where I come from, capris usually fall just below the knee. They seem simply cropped pants. But what ever the term, seems odd choice for early March weather.

The purse is nice as well.
I agree the pants don't work imo, Capris to me also fall slightly below the knee. What Meghan wears look like pants that have shrunk in the dryer. I agree about the comments about her hair and how they were the same as with Kate. Both women have enviable hair and they show it off well. I prefer how she wore it in this recent event much better than her messy bun.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Closed Thread