The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 12:08 AM
Nobility

That's is really good.

I like the parts about how the foreign spouses adopt the local culture but also keep embracing their origin (the dancing and singing Maxima ).

I saw many people said Meghan has to abandon her own style/origin and “dress like a royal” because she’s going to marry a prince and join the royal family, and seriously I don't know what does “dressing like a royal” mean, does it mean always wear colorful outfits like the Queen? or does it mean always wear dresses or coatdresses like Kate? No it's only their styles and preferences. To me “dressing like a royal” only means dressing appropriate for the event with your own style. I believe there may still be some rules (or suggestions), but it's 2018 and I don't think the court would still say “as a royal you must wear particular types of outfits otherwise you are not royal enough bla bla bla”.

Old 03-03-2018, 02:31 AM
Majesty

You have the right of it I believe. Nobody wants a Catherine or Sophie clone. The only rule is that you dress appropriately for the occasion and the only person you have to please is HM. I have a suspicion she may consider "dressed" as including stockings and I have to admit that I lean that way as well, especially as the dress code includes a hat.

However, while I might like a little more colour I'm talking from a country where the Italian Ambassador created a huge fuss when replying to a question about what he missed about home most. 'Beautiful women in pretty clothes' he said. Here the women in the city all wear black trousers, army boots and backpacks!

I thought he was a little harsh but not necessarily far off the mark. Fortunately, Doc Martins are no longer fashion forward but black still holds the professional line.

Old 03-03-2018, 02:06 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Y.CII View Post
I saw many people said Meghan has to abandon her own style/origin and “dress like a royal” because she’s going to marry a prince and join the royal family, and seriously I don't know what does “dressing like a royal” mean, does it mean always wear colorful outfits like the Queen? or does it mean always wear dresses or coatdresses like Kate? No it's only their styles and preferences. To me “dressing like a royal” only means dressing appropriate for the event with your own style. I believe there may still be some rules (or suggestions), but it's 2018 and I don't think the court would still say “as a royal you must wear particular types of outfits otherwise you are not royal enough bla bla bla”.
Thank you for this. It seems like some people confuse personal style with a royal dress code or protocol. The style range among BRF and royals in other countries appears varied enough that Meghan should fit in just fine.

Marg, Commonwealth Day will likely put an end to the stockings as protocol question once and for all. I think Meghan will wear a dress with heels and if she doesn't wear pantyhose in the Queen's presence it's not happening. I'm betting on no pantyhose.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:15 PM
Heir Apparent

I love her style. It seems more relaxed but still appropriate for the events that she's attended. I really love the pearl button pants she wore recently. Hope to see it again!
Old 03-03-2018, 10:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Suitor View Post
Thank you for this. It seems like some people confuse personal style with a royal dress code or protocol. The style range among BRF and royals in other countries appears varied enough that Meghan should fit in just fine.

Marg, Commonwealth Day will likely put an end to the stockings as protocol question once and for all. I think Meghan will wear a dress with heels and if she doesn't wear pantyhose in the Queen's presence it's not happening. I'm betting on no pantyhose.
Well, if you want to think of something that involves protocol that is outside Meghan's norm, this will be the first formal engagement with the best part of the whole BRF where the dress code is very formal so we will see Meghan's take on that. Not to forget we will also see a new Hat!

As to pantyhose ugh! Stockings or stay-ups are much more comfortable and feel wonderfully feminine to wear.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Stockings! The very best stockings are so thin that you cannot tell the wearer has them on. They are absurdly expensive. They are more easily ruined than any other item of women's clothing.
I know women that don't feel dressed unless they are wearing them. But I know more women (wealthy and not) who refuse to wear them.
They do have the advantage of adding warmth on cold days; concealing veins and adding support (if one does not mind wearing gauche thick hose).
Female Royals once routinely wore gloves and hats. Now - for many royals, those are an exception, rather than a rule.
The one truth about fashion is that it is always changing. Thank the heavens.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:56 AM
Heir Apparent

I always wonder how royals who wear stockings are never photographed with a run in them. My stockings are always ruined unless I wear thick ones.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 03-04-2018, 12:48 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Well, if you want to think of something that involves protocol that is outside Meghan's norm, this will be the first formal engagement with the best part of the whole BRF where the dress code is very formal so we will see Meghan's take on that.Not to forget we will also see a new Hat!
Definitely excited to see her take but also a bit worried. Sandringham was the one outfit that was a miss for me, particularly the hat. Meghan usually looks great in hats so I was surprised. I'm writing it off to the pressure of the occasion. Hoping that take 2 will be an improvement now that she has more engagements under her belt.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:39 PM
Majesty

Yes I would say the Christmas Day clothing was my least favorite so far (the hat...hopefully never repeated).

LaRae
Old 03-04-2018, 02:44 PM
Heir Apparent

I thought what she wore on Christmas was the only time the looked really put together; I liked the outfit despite hating the color brown, and her hair looked like it was brushed.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:52 PM
Courtier

My only problem with the Christmas Day outfit was the colour combination - brown, beige and tan!
If she had chosen differnt colours and a different hat.....she would have looked better.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:45 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I thought what she wore on Christmas was the only time the looked really put together; I liked the outfit despite hating the color brown, and her hair looked like it was brushed.
I loved her ensemble on Christmas day, even the dreaded hat that everyone seemed to hate. I loved the tone on tone of caramel and brown and I loved her little handbag.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:30 AM
Administrator

Posts about Queen Letizia have been deleted as off-topic. Further off-topic posts will be deleted without notice.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:24 PM
Courtier

(..)

Sorry, I can't resist pointing out that despite what any of us are thinking and feeling one way or the other about bare arms, we don't know the conditions in the building. But on the stage, they are under hot lights, which someone already mentioned earlier. No matter what the weather was outside, I'm sure Meghan was quite comfortable and not freezing on stage with bare arms. Meghan understands about filming under hot stage lights, and she's wearing exactly what she's comfortable wearing. Her dress in November at the engagement announcement was also sleeveless (and outdoors she wore a lightweight white coat to match theme of Diana's white garden).

(..)
Old 03-05-2018, 11:05 PM
Courtier

I don't recall anyone discussing how the original designer dress does not have the sailor style buttoned over-strap feature on the shoulder tops. I think that added design feature looks really lovely on Meghan. I wonder if Meghan's stylist suggested that addition to add a distinctive 'sparkle', or whether it was a design option offered by Wu for his clientele when he made the original design.

Jason Wu Belted Satin Wrap Dress original designer dress

Meghan Markle Joins the “Fab Four” at the First Annual Royal Foundation Forum See close-up of the over-strap as Meghan chats with foundation participants at the gathering; it's a wide strap secured by what looks like a silver button perhaps sewn into the strap and the shoulder top (or maybe it's buttoned and removable).
Old 03-06-2018, 04:01 PM
Majesty

You are right, I certainly didn't notice it wasn't part of the original design. Seems it will be worth checking any new items of clothing to see if it has a Meghan whimsical twist.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:48 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
You are right, I certainly didn't notice it wasn't part of the original design. Seems it will be worth checking any new items of clothing to see if it has a Meghan whimsical twist.
It was part of the original runway version of the dress:
https://whatmeghanwore.net/wp-conten...-2018-Show.jpg

https://whatmeghanwore.net/2018/02/2...and-aquazzura/
Old 03-06-2018, 06:55 PM
Courtier

Seeing how that dress looks full length.....I really don’t like anything about it but the color.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:15 PM
Heir Apparent

I think the dress looks great on the model, makes it look like she has hips and it's a unique design. I can't comment on it with Meghan because I never got a chance to see her with full view.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:39 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
Seeing how that dress looks full length.....I really don’t like anything about it but the color.
I don't particularly care for the way the dress looks on the model. I think it looked quite nice on Meghan. I didn't notice the straps on the runway model. It must be a removable or optional design feature. It didn't appear on the Wu dress posted on Meghan's Mirror fashion blog site.

@XeniaCasaraghi, earlier in this thread I posted a link to the RFF video and suggested scrolling to the end where we see Meghan stand up and you get a full view of how she looks in the dress. You can pause the video at that point for a good look. Here's another link to one of the videos. In this one at about 21:04 we see Meghan stand up and you can get a full view of the dress:

Closed Thread