Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The dress is lovely on Meghan and the jewels are nice. But that hair! Messy bun again with that great dress, UGH! Other than that, the shoes are a little "heavy" looking for my tastes, but still okay. Best look I've seen so far.

It's a Black Halo dress, I believe. I have the exact one but in navy. She looks great and I love the shoes!

Regarding Meghan's first CHOGM look with the Altuzarra pin-striped dress and the black blazer, I don't particularly care for that look on Meghan. LOL. I see that there are a variety of opinions on some of the Meghan fashion blogs and a number of people here appear to like the dress, and some who don't overall or in part. As usual, Meghan carries it off very well, but it just strikes me as a bit too casual in this instance, and I don't like the length and cut of the dress on Meghan.

Someone described the look as laid-back California style meets preppy. Meghan has previously worn some edgy preppy-inspired looks (as seen in some of the Meghan fashion galleries in articles on the Internet). But for me, the belt is too long (even though it seems purposely designed that way). Although I like the shoes, I don't think they are particularly suited to the dress.

I like a lot of the things Meghan has worn recently, but this is not a look I'm partial to. The blazer doesn't seem to match the dress that well the way it's thrown over her shoulders. The bodice and back of the dress looks interesting without the blazer, but still I don't like the look on Meghan. It seems a bit overly conservative in it's length and styling. Prince Harry looked better, and of course they were color-coordinated. Obviously, Meghan has had a good influence on the styling and cut of Harry's clothes. But Meghan's look on her first CHOGM outing is just a miss for me. I think all the royal ladies will not please everyone every time out. And Meghan is in the midst of a high profile transition, which is surely not easy.

The black Halo Jackie O dress yesterday was stunning. I love the length, the overall styling and silhouette and especially the neckline. I know the black shade is exceedingly elegant and stunning on Meghan (and we know she loves black), but since the dress is also available in red and blue as seen on this website (http://madaboutmeghan.blogspot.com/), it would have been nice to see Meghan in a different color. In fact, I'd buy the dress in all three colors! I wouldn't even have any objections to seeing Meghan in this black dress, if not for all the unrelenting black and dark colors she's tended to choose recently. But of course, I'm nitpicking.

At this point Meghan seems focused on making her appearances more about the events and the people she and Harry are meeting, while at the same time feeling comfortable and looking appropriately well-dressed. Perhaps that approach will remain the same for Meghan, as perhaps she does not wish all the talk to be about what she wears in an 'attention-seeking' kind of vibe. So I do think she is in transition, and as she's not married yet either, she and Harry are footing her clothing bills. I agree with MARG in looking forward that perhaps we shall see Meghan's style evolve over time, and there's a lot on the horizon. I just hope I won't grow to hate seeing her in black. :whistling:

Last edited:
Meghan's second Commonwealth look is great and I much prefer it to the first outfit (which I agree, does look a bit like a school pinafore). I agree with those who say that she's probably still finding her style; after all, she's not married to Harry yet so is not technically a member of the BRF. Perhaps once she is married she will hire a stylist who can help her discover a style. It just takes some people time to find their own style - I've only recently just found mine myself.

I thought it interesting they brought up the hosiery issue (Queen prefers them to wear hose not bare legs) etc. Interesting discussion. I figure she learned yesterday that draped on the shoulder jacket look won't work on engagements.

I was surprised that they harped on it for Eugenie despite the fact that per usual Meghan's legs were bare too (which I have no problem with). I think it's clear that Meghan will only wear hosiery in HMQ's presence out of respect and maybe for formal church events. I think we'll get the answer to the latter at Mon & Wed services. Agree that the draped jacket doesn't work for a "meet and greet" engagements with lots of hand shaking, but I imagine we'll still see her with that styling at other events. Think of last year's polo match and Invictus Games opening ceremony. It's not my thing but it is Meghan's.

Hmmm I have wondered, do you think she is trying to dress to match the group she's meeting with? Maybe this is why she's not looking the 'part' as some expect out of women in the BRF.

Yes I think she's been doing this from the beginning e.g. Brixton, Endeavor Awards. If the people she's meeting with are dressed relatively casually or if there's a wide range of style, she seems to dress accordingly so that they feel comfortable. I really like that about Meghan because it shows that those people are her focus. I know this goes against the notion of (paraphrasing here) they wear their best for me so I do the same but sometimes their best is khakis and a polo shirt and it's OK for the royals to meet people on that level.

Yes I think she's been doing this from the beginning e.g. Brixton, Endeavor Awards. If the people she's meeting with are dressed relatively casually or if there's a wide range of style, she seems to dress accordingly so that they feel comfortable. I really like that about Meghan because it shows that those people are her focus. I know this goes against the notion of (paraphrasing here) they wear their best for me so I do the same but sometimes their best is khakis and a polo shirt and it's OK for the royals to meet people on that level.

I agree with this - I think this is why she placed #1 on a poll about the most relatable royal. People don't see her as pretentious - they see her as relatable and I think her clothing choices are done deliberately to help her stay down to earth.

Glory be, some colour in honour of Spring! Lovely dress in a nice shade of green. I like it!

*Jumpy claps* !

Just great, and PERFECT for the weather...

Now, IF that jacket were a 'cardi' one would take her for an Englishwoman..

Very "spring" and lovely color!

Need a photo of the bag and the dress without her jacket.

edit: :previous: you're right the jacket has to stay, not a fans of the sleeves, but it doesn't stop me loving her look today.

Last edited:
Yes she is reading our comments!!! LOL

LOVE THIS! The style and color are just great on her...and it's so 'together' LOVE her shoe and this is how to wear a jacket! I can't make out the earrings yet

Blazer by McQueen Dress by Self Portrait Monolo B shoe R.M. Purse

She looks great in pleats ...gives her some volume.

LaRae

Last edited:
Finally some color!
That is a pretty dress.

Very pretty, lovely to see some color! Jacket definitely needs to stay on, but it's a beautiful dress anyway.

Two in a row, I hope she keeps it up! Gives me hope for some fun fashion watching! :flowers:

that's just plain depressing.

I disagree.. the Cardigan is a matchless gift bestowed to Women, in a climate as changeable and unpredictable as ours... equipped with one she has all she needs for an English day out...

I disagree.. the Cardigan is a matchless gift bestowed to Women, in a climate as changeable and unpredictable as ours... equipped with one she has all she needs for an English day out...

But wouldn't a cardigan completely bring down the look? I hear you on cardis being something an Englishwoman would wear (I guess?) but in this case, a cardi would take this look from lovely to "meh"?

I really like this look - the color of that dress is beautiful. And the jacket is very nice with it. And the bag - reminds me of an old Hermes bag (from the 60s). Swoon.

Gorgeous look.

I'd forgotten that she wears prints in dresses - she wore a flowy print dress to that wedding in the Bahamas (it was the Bahamas, right?).

I'm also happy to see Self Portrait branching out and doing more dresses that aren't lace - but still with their signature cut.

Last edited:
I love the green, the print is pretty and I like the pleated skirt of the dress. The black jacket coordinates well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom