The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 04:28 PM
Heir Apparent

FashionMaven! I think this picture captures the outfit perfectly!

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-j0s06W-Cl...3-meghan05.png

Old 02-15-2018, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mademoiselle Lilo View Post
She looks Unkempt: the coat is too long and looks big for her frame the pants are sloppy and dragging dirt and the hair is a miss.
her previous outfits Imo are maybe plain but were at least well fitted this one is a total miss.
I totally agree with all of this. I really dislike the length of the pants and the fact that they're dragging on the ground.

I've liked a few pieces she's worn, but as a whole I'm not impressed with her current style. Her coats always seem too big and I'm beyond bored with all of the black/dark colors. I really wish she would add some color to her wardrobe.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:05 PM
Aristocracy

All fair critiques. Her style isn't for everyone so be it. But even if you don't like this outfit to call her "unkempt" feels like a big stretch.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:12 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
FashionMaven! I think this picture captures the outfit perfectly!

OMG thank you! I knew it would look smashing with the coat open!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Suitor View Post
All fair critiques. Her style isn't for everyone so be it. But even if you don't like this outfit to call her "unkempt" feels like a big stretch.
I'm wondering if it's the hair that's throwing some people off? I think it makes her look more approachable... It did get a bit misty from the rain/mist so it got a little fuller, lol, with a tiny bit of frizz - but not much really... I don't think it made her look unkempt?

I do think Meghan is trying to find a way to marry her style with her new position and it will take a little time to find her way.

I've liked most of what she's done (some way more than others) - the wales blazer and jeans wasn't my fave outfit, but it was okay... I wished she'd found a more interesting blazer though I was happy to see the boatneck on her since some of are hoping she might do a similar neckline for her wedding gown...

The one thing I do really like about her choices so far is her commitment to paying homage to the areas she's visiting... I'm sure it's providing a nice boost to the small businesses in the areas she's visiting. That's really a nice touch and took some forethought.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:49 AM
Majesty

I think the paying homage, they all usually do that by wearing a brand/item from the area they are visiting.

LaRae
Old 02-16-2018, 07:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
I totally agree with all of this. I really dislike the length of the pants and the fact that they're dragging on the ground.

I've liked a few pieces she's worn, but as a whole I'm not impressed with her current style. Her coats always seem too big and I'm beyond bored with all of the black/dark colors. I really wish she would add some color to her wardrobe.
You've expressed my own view.
So far- not impressed.

But I'll wait until after the wedding and see if her choices evolve.
Perhaps once she has her go-to designers (like Kate has McQueen) things will be different.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

I think after the wedding it will be interesting to see whether Meghan's fashion choices will develop - I imagine they will as time goes on. In the meantime, I do agree that she is a little 'heavy-handed" on the use of black - it's not so bad when combined with a light-shade of coat as it provides a nice contrast.

I really don't mind deeper/natural/tonal colours on her at all because the style is usually quite interesting - such as a tied belt on her coats or interesting collar etc.

I understand that Meghan is not too keen on patterns, but I would love to see her wearing a fitted suit in that dark tartan design for instance or something with a simple pattern. If she sticks to plain, muted colours then interest will hopefully be found in the design.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:15 PM
Heir Apparent

DM is joining in the coverage on the black pants. Interestingly, Lyst, a global fashion search platform, chimed in with statistics on searches for black pants subsequent to Meghan's outfits.

Meghan Markle sends searches for black trousers soaring | Daily Mail Online
Old 02-18-2018, 01:21 PM
Heir Apparent

I really love the outfit, esp the pants. I love Meghan's style more than Kate's. Nothings wrong with Kate's but Meghan's is more relaxed.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:35 AM
Courtier

Yes, they are both fashionable with a different aesthetic though, and unique unto themselves. I am finding that Kate actually seems a bit more relaxed recently and she is seemingly making less conservative, matronly choices (which she tended to do on occasion). Remember when she cut her hair and was looking so fresh and casual yet smart at Wimbledon last July. Over the past couple of months, Kate has been looking very elegant, glamorous and lovely. We see her and barely notice her pregnancy. I sense some indirect Meghan style influence simply by the fact of Kate now having a sister-in-law her age to share this outsize royal life with behind-the-scenes. Even the Queen seems to be taking a more relaxed public approach, speaking in a filmed broadcast to a journalist about her coronation day, and appearing with Anna Wintour at London Fashion Week!

Here's an article with a picture gallery compilation of Meghan's go-to beauty product preferences:
Shop Meghan Markle Favorite Beauty Products

Meghan seems to purposely be sticking with darker colors. Her coat at the Brixton visit was light-colored, and for the first engagement in Nottingham, her skirt was beige, but everything else has been dark (aside from the white blouse) worn with black suit for the Endeavor Awards. Someone here said they are bored with Meghan's fashion choices. After thinking about that declaration, I figure perhaps Meghan is fine about some observers being bored. It seems she wants the focus to be more on the people, causes and communities she and Harry are visiting and championing.

After the unnecessary uproar and brouhaha over the engagement photo dress (which Meghan may have already owned and previously purchased at a discount, or it was loaned), I wonder why people are now complaining about her keeping her sartorial choices very low-key and simple, with casual elegance.

Honestly, I too have been slightly disappointed by all the dark colors. But hey, it's winter and Meghan apparently likes a neutral palette with lots of black, navy, etc. We can actually look back at so many past photos and see that Meghan has worn a variety of brighter colors and on occasion prints and geometric designs; she's also worn floral prints, as well as evening wear and dresses in turquoise, gold, silver, and a red & blue tie-dye evening gown. That's when she was living the lifestyle of an actor making red carpet appearances at premieres and fund raising events. Meghan also wore a lot of mini dresses. She had a lot more freedom. In her personal life, she always rocked a very casual style with ripped jeans and shorts. She even wore two different dress-up shorts outfits with matching jackets for separate Today show visits (one was light blue denim, and the other blue and white stripes). She's also worn red on occasion, and lots of white. I love her sexy white dress with flared skirt and embellished Michael Jackson-style biker jacket:
https://us.hellomagazine.com/imagene...r-jacket-a.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/d...TkL15EvEs4.jpg Denim suit shorts

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/fa/56...4cdbdcd7ee.jpg striped suit shorts

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/7f/c9/fb/7...ness-dress.jpg On the set of Suits

http://www2.pictures.stylebistro.com...GAgCW1wU-x.jpg On the red carpet

http://cdn.evoke.ie/wp-content/uploa...han-markle.jpg red dress visiting Today Show

https://images.hellogiggles.com/uplo...hanMarkle2.jpg Tie-dye evening gown

Her life is now moving into a very different phase, and it seems to me (from all evidence) that she is purposely remaining low-key. All eyes are on her, so she has no need to bring attention to herself. I think right now Meghan appears to want to be appropriate for the occasion, well-groomed, and comfortable, while at the same time take the opportunity to promote British designers and good causes with her fashion choices. She doesn't seem to want there to be too much focus on her clothes, so she's wearing what she as Meghan would wear for now. There's plenty of time for her to segue into being Duchess Meghan. She's not married yet. Maybe Meghan is also consciously making a statement that she's going to do things her own way (somewhat similar to Michelle Obama's personal style statements when she became First Lady. Mrs. Obama did not follow established Washington D.C. trends, she rocked her own style).

Far from Meghan not knowing what she's doing, she and her stylist, Jessica Mulroney, likely have a plan. Meghan seemingly will not satisfy our bright color fashion wishes until the wedding and maybe, hopefully at Royal Ascot. In October after Invictus, Meghan and Harry are said to be planning an extended royal tour of Australia and New Zealand. So that may be when we will begin to see how Meghan's style as a Duchess and a royal Princess bride will have evolved.

On a couple of occasions now, Meghan has worn wide-legged pants. It's certainly true that those black pants in Scotland were touching the ground. But well, she doesn't have to do her own laundry. That wide-legged pants look with the slightly oversize tartan plaid coat has a certain insouciance to it. I liked the tartan, but I felt it could have been brighter. In some pictures the tartan plaid was barely visible. But in the picture already posted above, PH and MM look absolutely fabulous and just so cool and comfortable together:

Prince Harry must wake up every day feeling like he's in heaven. In his wildest imagination a few years ago, Harry likely never figured he'd ever find the right someone to take on the royal burden, much less fall in love with a special lady who possesses such fashionable style, elegance, smarts, graciousness, sexy femininity, sweetness and a true desire to give back to others. Meghan seems to take an easy, casual, laid-back approach to what she wears, thanks to her California upbringing. But with that I think she's also always in control of her intention, and she's fully aware of who she is. The only slight giveaway of any nervousness is her constant tucking back her hair mannerism which hopefully she will eventually lose.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:47 PM
Courtier

New photos released from an old (2012) Meghan Markle fashion photo shoot for Regard magazine; pictures and video; Meghan was also promoting Suits' second season:

Meghan Markle Modeled Chic Looks in 2012 Fashion Photo Shoot | E! News

The below article was posted in Meghan's background thread. I'm linking it here for the photos, which give more insight into her style aesthetic as a working actor and entrepreneur:
http://darlingmagazine.org/meghan-markle-career/

More on Meghan's tartan coat:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/lif...-tartan-quest/
Old 02-28-2018, 06:15 AM
Administrator

Meghan in a sleeveless blue dress at the first annual Royal Foundation Forum in London today, February 28 - it's a Jason Wu dress:

** Full view ** Upper part ** Upper part 2 **
Old 02-28-2018, 06:46 AM
Courtier

KJason Wu has made dresses and gowns for former FLOTUS Michelle Obama including her gown for Obama's first inauguration in 2009. Wu may be in the running for Meghan's wedding gown. It would be a surprise.

I like the dress. Meghan has no stockings on, and the shoes are strappy. A clear signal she is not going to copy Kate.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Very beautiful as always and shoes to die for !
Old 02-28-2018, 07:00 AM
Heir Apparent

I was sort of half expecting pants again so strappy shoes and a Jason Wu dress was a nice surprise. I like the material of the dress and it looked great, very flattering. I also liked the shoes. The only caveat I have to that, and it's a sight one, is that the weather is freezing and I don't know that February is the right month to show bare arms and legs! However, I do think she looked lovely. Her makeup was perfect.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Something seems off about it.

I think it's a nice dress, but it doesn't seem right for the type of event.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

Sleeveless in -5 outside temperatures, in Snowy London, just looks FREEZING, no matter that the venue might be toasty...
Old 02-28-2018, 07:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Sleeveless in -5 outside temperatures, in Snowy London, just looks FREEZING, no matter that the venue might be toasty...
Can’t you say that for ANY dress then? Is legs not covered by trousers just as cold?

Honestly, given modern day amenities, I really don’t see the point of talking about if they are cold or warm in doors. I’m sure she had a coat on (would LOVE to see it by the way).
Old 02-28-2018, 07:41 AM
Majesty

I quite like her dress and I like that it's got a bit of color to it!

LaRae
Old 02-28-2018, 07:45 AM
Nobility

If it is indoor whether it is sleeveless or not doesn't matter. (Oh I forget she can't be right in some people's eyes. )

Something is off to me, maybe too loose? I hope to see a better full view.

Closed Thread