Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unsuitable for the job, not in general.
Royal engagement are now her job, I expect her to dress suitably for the job and type of engagement.
Just like I would expect a ceo to wear a suit or as close to that and not a pair of jeans and t-shirt or (heaven help me) sweatsuit.
Just as I would expect a chef to wear chef whites, and actor/ess to dress to the role or a red carpet event.

So yes, I expect her to dress for the job of working royal [to be], and be aware of the type of engagements she’s attending and dress accordingly (ie: no stiletto to a laid back sporting event).

Again, I don't find her outfits unsuitable for her job as a member of the BRF so we'll just have to agree to disagree. So be it.

You say the royal women have no uniform, but they kinda do. It varies slightly, but the jist of it is the same.

I argued earlier in this thread that their was a perceived "royal uniform" and much of the critique of Meghan was for not following that uniform. Others said that wasn't the issue since other royal women (e.g. Letizia, Mary) don't follow that style. Thanks for proving my point.

Last edited:
I don't know what is wrong with some of you. The basic tenet of fairness seems to have become as rare as a unicorn.

Comparisons have been made between Meghan and Catherine's dress and style. Needless to say, Meghan is coming up short. But Catherine and William first met in 2001 and later dated for six odd years before they got engaged and married seven years ago.

People are comparing Meghan's style on half a dozen or so casual engagements to that of a woman who has been a member of the BRF for over 7 years and in the case of Princess Mary, a member of the Danish Royal Family for 14 years. Needless to say, that is not a level playing field. In fact, it makes no pretence of being a fair comparison so my question is, why?

Not surprisingly, Meghan is not generally as polished as other women of the BRF and their European counterparts and her style is different. Personally, I am going to enjoy seeing her gaining polish but would neither expect or want her to change her personal sense of style because it is different, unique to her and, most important to me, it appeals to me.

I look forward to seeing her at some of the CHOGAM events and privately lament that I won't see her at the banquet in an evening gown and jewelled clasps in her hair, but hey, the wedding is next month.

Last edited:
I like the way she dresses. She's never been inappropriate. As much as I love Catherine's style, sometimes it's boring and too mumsy. It's just an opinion.

It’s not about the “uniform” and it’s definately not about turning into Kate 2.0.

To give an example Queen Leticia and princess Sofia wear ALL types of styles but it’s about the colours and the fact that they are tailor made for them , meghans sadly comes out the opposite ! And the hair ? It’s obvious she doesn’t have an hairstylist and the messy hair looks unkempt and like she didn’t bother at all !

I reiterate that It’s NOT only about this recent appearance but discussion is based on all of her appearances . I admire Meghan too and I want her to shine in her role and for that she needs good styling . And she isn’t a young girl who is finding her feet , she is a mature 36 year old woman !!
That is also the reason why it’s shocking that she is yet to come out with a va va voom appearance!

If Meghan came out with a 'va va voom appearance,' (whatever that is supposed to be :ermm:) you and others would still find something to criticize. :lol:

The level and amount of petty critiques directed at Meghan for a 'casual dress' appearance at a sporting event is rather OTT, and exceedingly pretentious. H&M's appearance at this event does not warrant such heavy criticism. They both looked fine and quite comfortable. More power to Meghan for wanting to wear heels. It might not have been my choice, but I see no need to become apoplectic about it. Since she's a bit shorter than Harry, Meghan may prefer to wear heels for most of their public appearances. She wore flats for their first official appearance at the Invictus Games last September.

IMO, no one is perfect all the time. But what I admire about Meghan sartorially is her laid-back, yet fresh, appealing, and up-to-date sense of style and her spot-on feel for what works for her body and her aesthetic, as well as for each occasion. Even despite my wanting to see something different in terms of color palette on some occasions, Meghan has carried off every appearance with aplomb and confidence.

I personally feel that Meghan's casual, yet elegantly appealing sense of personal style is rubbing off on some of the other royal ladies (in terms of certain accessories, styling selection, silhouette choices and pulling together looks that are comfortable but also complimentary to the occasion, and not giving off an attention-seeking vibe). All eyes are already on Meghan. She doesn't need 'va va voom' fireworks in what she chooses to wear.

In particular, I have enjoyed Meghan's Sandringham outfit, the unexpected engagement picture outfits, the Endeavour Fund tux, the Commonwealth service white coat, navy dress and heels, the boatneck plaid blazer and fitted trousers she wore in Wales, and the styling at the waist of the black pants she wore in Scotland, and especially the lovely green skirt, cream coat and burnt orange heels she wore in Ireland. I also thought the stylish beige maxi skirt and black turtleneck Meghan wore in Birmingham worked beautifully. There are some critiques I have for some of Meghan's accessories, styling and the absence of more color at times, but that's a bit of nitpicking and personal preference on my part.

ETA: I also love the burgundy pleated dress and leather jacket Meghan wore to the Invictus Games opening ceremonies, the Erdem maxi dress she wore to the Inskips' wedding, and the gorgeous Antonio Berardi sleeveless navy dress she wore to Prince Harry's polo match last May.

It's fine and normal for everyone to have critical preferences, but the dire, OTT nature of some critiques here re Meghan's styling choices are a bit much.

Last edited:
It's all a matter of personal taste, I can't personally think of one outfit she's worn that I liked. And for the life of me I can't see a 'style', all I see is a mishmash of pieces that are shapeless and colorless. Oh, with a nice handbag. (..)

Last edited by a moderator:
(..)
IMO her best look so far has been Ireland. I'm not a big fan of the much repeated black or monochrome.

LaRae

She's way ahead of where Sarah was at this point....I don't expect her to be anything like Sarah when it comes to clothing.

IMO her best look so far has been Ireland. I'm not a big fan of the much repeated black or monochrome.

LaRae

(..) I think Meghan's got it in her to look fabulous once she grows into her role. (..)

She looked okay in NI (still shapeless and drab), except the color scheme she went with wasn't a good choice for someone in her position as the green and orange are political colors that are still controversial. And the pony blanket in Edinburgh, and the trousers dragging in the mud, the ill-fitting and scuffed up shoes...I mean it's getting to be quite the laundry list for how few engagements she's had so far.

Yes, I'll give her a break because she's learning. But I hope she ramps it up soon, because she's really boring to watch as far as fashion goes right now.

(..) She needs to get some items altered and fitted.

Some of her clothing is made to wear big (and I am not a fan of some of the coats) as is the style. I prefer a more fitted look.

LaRae

(..) Many of the Meghan OTT critiques seem to be caught up with some kind of negativity directed toward her personally IMO. I certainly do not get the 'mishmash, shapeless, colorless' critique. Meghan has a casual, laid-back California style with a pulled together sophistication that apparently goes over some people's heads.

In any case, for now Meghan seems to be purposely not wanting her appearances to be all about her clothes. She always looks comfortable, confident and able to pull off every outfit. Whatever some commenters are seeing to be so overly negative about is questionable, but to each their own need to nitpick and tear down. If it's to that scale of dislike and negativity, there's nothing you'll ever be pleased by when it comes to Meghan.

The absence of brighter colors does not equate to colorless. Meghan has worn colors, but more in a particular color palette, with lots of black, white, navy, and some cream, beige, green, plaid, the burnt orange shoes, etc. And before the engagement, the burgundy pleated dress was lovely. Here are some of Meghan's best looks pre and post her relationship with Prince Harry. Scroll down to the gallery:

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebrity/latest/a19829698/meghan-markle-gym-workout-class/

In the final weeks leading up to the wedding, Meghan likely has a lot on her mind, and surely some pre-wedding jitters, and last minute dress fittings. Most brides do tend to lose a bit of weight due to stress. In any case, Meghan has never seemed to be overweight.

I happen to like the clothing Meghan wears, and I love those coats of hers. belted and unfitted is okay for sometimes we wear sweaters under coats for an extra layer of clothing on freezing cold days.

One thing about royal ladies and their clothes, they can NOT please everyone all the time....we are all different in our opinions of clothing. Some more negative then others...:lol:

MiaMia there's no need to be snide. Because someone doesn't like her 'casual' style doesn't mean it's over their head.

LaRae

Well Pranter, frankly I see some of the critiques of Meghan's choices here as rather 'snide' and OTT. The unnecessary negativity I happen to find questionable. It is my opinion that those harping on not seeing Meghan as having a style (..)

Fashion watching is a lighthearted pursuit with everyone having personal preferences. And of course, to each their own in that respect. I think it's possible to have fun and enjoyable conversations without all the OTT dismissiveness, seen in such comments suggesting Meghan has no style and that she's worn nothing whatsoever to like. There's really no basis for some of the completely negative comments that are then sugarcoated and backtracked by claims of admiration.

(..)

WE all here have very different views on what looks good and what looks wrong.....and I don't mind heels at a sports event for Meghan was not playing sports. I have worn heels to baseball games, no big deal, my feet hurt, then my fault. :flowers:

I view Meghan's style akin to what Princess Charlene wears. :flowers: Meghan is very unique among royals imo yet is presenting a very accessible fashion sense that is particularly photogenic. The way Maxima uniquely wows with her patterns, Meghan is doing the same with her 'architectural' style, which I see as having a certain timeless quality.

I very much hope Meghan does not change her style preferences. :flowers: There is nothing predictable about her and I am looking forward to watching her. :cool:

Last edited:
(...) Fashion will always be in the eye of the beholder.

I for one look forward to years of a princess who I wont have to guess what color coat dress she will wear :flowers:

:previous: I look forward to changes in Meghan's style as she adapts to her new life. Actually, I am more interested in her twist on fashion. She is hoping to have children and we all know that can screw up the fashion but I'll still be interested to see.

For anyone who wonders about royals and fashion, you can't go past Sophie to see the fashion curve neatly turned into a bow! She hit 40 and discovered her very own groove and hasn't looked back since.

We all have our own personal tastes and prefences.

I really dont get why we end up having posters fighting amongst themselves. Thought the fashion trends are the fun ones but clearly I was wrong.

We always do this, you can go to any royal lady's fashion trend and there are always different views.

I may not like some of Meghans choices but at the end of the day they are her choices. Sometimes we project what we think someones style should be or we want them to dress more like a particular royal lady. What works for someone might not work for someone else.

She is exciting for me because we dont know her "working style" as yet. We are getting to discover it with her and we may not like everything she wears.
I know this is not a popular opinion but I also dont mind the royals that have found their "uniform". It must be difficult to dress for a role where you are "representing". So you find what works and you stick to it. We all have your "uniforms" in our closets . You might think you dont but if you do.

So Meghan will find her own thing and we will learn to just deal with it (like we have learnt to accept & understand the other royal ladies styles".
We have already started to accept that she is not a big colour person. Thats fine.

Last edited:

The thread has once again been cleaned up. Personal, insulting comments towards other members, posts discussing weight as well as off-topic posts have been removed according to the TRF rules. This is not a thread about the Duchess of Cambridge or Sarah, the Duchess of York, please confine yourself to the given subject. Instead of bickering, simply accept differing opinions. We don't need a fundamental debate on criticism each time Meghan Markle comes up with a new outfit, instead please share your opinions and respect the ones your fellow members share and that in a civil, open-minded manner. Thank you.

Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part One: November 2017 -

Not liking the jacket ( not sure if it’s a jacket ) and hair. Dress seems good from what I can see Harry looks great
I’m always amazed how anyone can wear heels so high I have never managed it

Last edited:
I'm a fan of the whole outfit. Shoe and purse game is strong! I do wish she'd kept the blazer on. The cut didn't look right draped over her shoulders but the dress feels a little too casual relative to the other attendees without it.

I like the whole look. The shoes are cute. I think we should come to expect that Meghan will not come to an event in stockings, plain pumps and skirt suit. She will only go to stockings if the queen is present. Which one of the items she's wearing today will sell out in 24 hours?

I'm a fan of the whole outfit. Shoe and purse game is strong! I do wish she'd kept the blazer on. The cut didn't look right draped over her shoulders but the dress feels a little too casual relative to the other attendees without it.

She takes it off once inside. So it might’ve been a little chilly go without it outside. I don’t like the crossbody on after she took off the jacket inside though. I feel like both the jacket and the bag should’ve been handed off to you the assistant once inside. That dress deserve to be photographed on its own. :lol:

I'm seeing pics now of her inside greeting folks with the blazer on too.

LaRae

Although a very nice sundress, it looks too summery and casual to me. It would be great for an outdoor summer engagement.

She started out with it on in the meet/greet line then it came off. Might of just been in the way. It does look more finished on. Still I really like the dress.

LaRae

Shoes are amazing. Hair looks decent. Is her dress supposed to be more "dressy"?
It's not a home-run bit it's an improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom