Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish they would all remove Erdem from their rotation of clothing. Rarely does it work for any of them IMO.

I don't think Meghan needs to use Kate's stylist or dress like Kate. She can have her own look, just integrate some of the style from that new environment. She doesn't have to only use a English stylist but at last get some input from one. Jessica M. has had her day, it's time for Meghan to move on to a new look...or an integrated look. I like some of Meghan's style I just think she needs to get more of an understanding of what is going to work better in her new role.

LaRae

Like a member pointed out , Most surprising of all is the fact that Meghan had a blog where she would advice and give fashion tips ! Plus she was an actress who has worn different kind of clothes , shoes etc and has an access to many stylists if needed . And yet Meghan turns up at events in lacklustre outfits !

Her fashion choices are quite bad to say the least ! Barring 2 looks I didn’t like any of the others ! And messy hair ? Total no no ! Why not a neat ponytail instead ?
I mean look at it this way besides the world media , people will be waiting behind barricades just to have a look at you and talk and Meghan isn’t even putting an effort into looking good ! Ill fitted coats , too long pants , bad messy hair , dull bland colours etc etc etc !
Honestly , my hopes on the wedding dress have come down a lot .

I know it’s horrible to compare but fashion wise I love Kate’s style much better ! So appropriately turned up ( most of the times anyway )

PS - I am still a fan of Meghans ideologies but if this fashion disaster continues than I doubt very much if the press will be interested in her in the long run . It’s the bitter truth .

:eek::bang: PLEASE GOD NO!!! Will be adding this to my nightly prayers as well as praying that Erdem is not part of the bridal fashion in any way. I have no interest in seeing Meghan dress as a Kate clone. Two different women, two different styles and that is OK. I'm sorry but if we ever see Meghan in a pastel coat dress, I'll know it is a cry for help and she is in the sunken place.

The sunken place, lol!

Seriously, though, I really hope we don't see Meghan dressing like Kate. (..)

I really enjoy Meghan's breezier style and like her different take on dressing for royal occasions. That last outfit didn't come together, I don't feel like she's figured out the right approach to her hairstyles yet, but all in all she's looked really, really good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like a member pointed out , Most surprising of all is the fact that Meghan had a blog where she would advice and give fashion tips ! Plus she was an actress who has worn different kind of clothes , shoes etc and has an access to many stylists if needed . And yet Meghan turns up at events in lacklustre outfits !

Her fashion choices are quite bad to say the least ! Barring 2 looks I didn’t like any of the others ! And messy hair ? Total no no ! Why not a neat ponytail instead ?
I mean look at it this way besides the world media , people will be waiting behind barricades just to have a look at you and talk and Meghan isn’t even putting an effort into looking good ! Ill fitted coats , too long pants , bad messy hair , dull bland colours etc etc etc !
Honestly , my hopes on the wedding dress have come down a lot .

I know it’s horrible to compare but fashion wise I love Kate’s style much better ! So appropriately turned up ( most of the times anyway )

PS - I am still a fan of Meghans ideologies but if this fashion disaster continues than I doubt very much if the press will be interested in her in the long run . It’s the bitter truth .

Excellent post

What Missy said.
I honestly think she should have, until the wedding, Used whomever is dressing Catherine as her stylist, have them create and build her outfits, make them look 100% what is expected of a royal, and once the wedding passed she should have slowly started adding her own personal touches.

Yeah - NO. A big huge, fat, emphatic NO to this.

All this does is confirm my earlier comments that people ragging and dragging Meghan and implying that she's not taking her role seriously (because of some boots and a trench coat - OMG the horror :ermm:) seem to be working from some pre-defined idea of what a "royal" must wear.

When Meghan steps outside of that "uniform" in any way - she gets dragged and her commitment to the monarchy is questioned. The fashion stuff has become a proxy.

When she wore a tux outfit with fitted pants to that very casual awards event, she was dragged even though the outfit was gorgeous. When she wore the black pants, they were too loose. When she wore the loose sweater with slim fitted pants, the pants were inappropriate. But now for the "sporty event", she should have worn skinny pants? Hmmm...

It's fair to not like neutrals and want color - but a neutral wardrobe isn't "un-stylish". Loose coats aren't "un-stylish", especially given that she's gotten her sleeves more fitted as the year has gone on. It's just a style aesthetic that some people (but clearly not the fashion set at Vogue, WWD, T&C, Glamour, Cosmo, Who What Wear, The Cut, InStyle and countless others).

Personally I think the "uniform" people are pushing is dated. And not all royals "follow" it. I also don't quite understand where this "uniform" was ratified. Was there a vote?

I think we need a recount.

I didn't see anyone dragging her, I know I certainly wasn't. The strongest comment I made was the trench reminded me of Pride and Prejudice and she should have worn flat shoes or trainers for the kind of event it was. I said the logo polo was appropriate and the jeans were fine and that she was improving.

Maybe I'm missing it, do you have an example of ratcheted up comments?

The "ratcheting up" was more about people making conclusions about her commitment to her new role - based on how she dressed for a very casual event. It was startling. Here are a few samples (the thread has been edited so some of the harsher comments are now gone):

"Her job is going to be representing the Crown, if she can't learn how to do it correctly then she needs to seek advise."

"Seems like Meghan doesn’t really bother how she turns out at events."

(..)

Again - a lot of comments seem to hinge upon the existence of this mysterious "royal uniform" and when Meghan doesn't adhere to it she gets dragged. Like she's not "in her place" and "how dare she" not adhere to this "rule", "who does she think she is that she can break the 'rule'?"

Sometimes I wonder if it's a "Well, Kate had to wear the "uniform", so how dare Meghan not wear it too." --> when the only reference to this "uniform" seems to be from folks on this thread.

I think Meghan is deliberately rejecting this "uniform" and I couldn't be happier. It may lead to a couple of misses in the interim (she hasn't had many) but in the end, her style will likely endure longer than 80s princess coats and dresses.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the Queen goes around issuing a list of allowed clothing but I do think her expectations and/or preferences are made known.

They have quite a bit of freedom within any parameters given IMO.

LaRae

I don't think the Queen goes around issuing a list of allowed clothing but I do think her expectations and/or preferences are made known.

They have quite a bit of freedom within any parameters given IMO.

LaRae

Well if she's made her expectations and preferences are known then Meghan is adhering to them - thus if Meghan is dressing the way that she is, then she is doing so with the Queen's blessing.

Pretty sure she won't be wearing a whole new wardrobe after she gets married. It'd be a waste otherwise - plus she's been working so hard to let her clothing represent the areas that she visits on tour with Harry.

It’s not about the “uniform” and it’s definately not about turning into Kate 2.0.

To give an example Queen Leticia and princess Sofia wear ALL types of styles but it’s about the colours and the fact that they are tailor made for them , meghans sadly comes out the opposite ! And the hair ? It’s obvious she doesn’t have an hairstylist and the messy hair looks unkempt and like she didn’t bother at all !

I reiterate that It’s NOT only about this recent appearance but discussion is based on all of her appearances . I admire Meghan too and I want her to shine in her role and for that she needs good styling . And she isn’t a young girl who is finding her feet , she is a mature 36 year old woman !!
That is also the reason why it’s shocking that she is yet to come out with a va va voom appearance !

Well if she's made her expectations and preferences are known then Meghan is adhering to them - thus if Meghan is dressing the way that she is, then she is doing so with the Queen's blessing.

Pretty sure she won't be wearing a whole new wardrobe after she gets married. It'd be a waste otherwise - plus she's been working so hard to let her clothing represent the areas that she visits on tour with Harry.

I've never said she was inappropriately dressed.

I do think she will incorporate new items into her existing wardrobe. That pretty much happens with all of the women who have married into the BRF.

Myself I love it when she wears the brands of the region, which is a tradition of the BRF ladies as well.

LaRae

When Meghan steps outside of that "uniform" in any way - she gets dragged and her commitment to the monarchy is questioned. The fashion stuff has become a proxy.

I'll tell you what was dragged, the hems of her pants in the wet and muddy streets of Edinburgh. You know, the pants she wore with the horse blanket coat. She's been a drab, sloppy mess so far.

Last edited:
Ah, the wonders of uniform. Isn't it great when work provides the work clothes and all you have to worry about is evening wear, Sunday best or casual? I lived that life for over 20 years and sometimes it was a pain because there was a wardrobe gap I didn't know I had until I needed it.

It took me the best part of a year to "round out" my wardrobe gaps when I stopped wearing that uniform because the lines were not as cut and dried as I thought. Now Meghan is in the same position but different. Her "uniform" was provided by the Wardrobe department on set and I wouldn't mind betting she drove to work in yoga gear, sweats or shorts.

If nothing else, her official introduction as Harry's girlfriend proved that what was fashionable and on-trend was not good enough to cut it for that occasion although I have to admit I thought it was perfect. I loved the 'Husband Shirt', my nieces wear the same kind of jeans, and the ballet flats.

So Meghan is going to be having lots of not so fun times upping her game while keeping her own style. I have to be honest, I didn't see any problem with her last ensemble because while I am living on the cusp of Autumn/Winter, most of you are Spring/Summer. Either way, the weather is unpredictable and temperatures change.

Meghan's coat (t didn't look very trench- to me) looked like something she tossed on to keep the chill off and the main look was the shirt. But the howls of outrage and the nasty comments about not doing "her job" well enough. Worse, accusations that she didn't care and was therefore unfit to be Harry's wife stunned me.

Meghan is not even married yet and we have had the pleasure of seeing Harry showing her around. Nothing madly official, just a Church Service which, sartorially, I think she aced, but it was supposed to be a brief show. Yet Meghan's clothes choices seem to be graded on a pass/fail curve that goes to her nature, her personality and ultimately her fitness to marry Harry.

I don't remember this happening to any other soon-to-be royals and I wish it would stop because it keeps making this thread toxic.

I'll tell you what was dragged, the hems of her pants in the wet and muddy streets of Edinburgh. You know, the pants she wore with the horse blanket coat. (..)

Ain't it a b!tch that she knew exactly what to wear to those wet and muddy streets of Edinburgh? Along with the wet and the muddy, there might have also been "refuse" from those ponies in the mix. I also think that many Scottish people would seriously take offense at a tartan plaid being called a "horse blanket". ;)

She was dressed appropriately for not only the weather but for the people she was meeting.

Oh this is one example where I'm happily proven wrong and it actually *is* a horse blanket as the mascot of the Royal Regiment of Scotland wore it. It'll be a long time before I forget that endearing Shetland pony with a personality called Cruachan IV. :D

:previous:

Well, the colours and the look is one of the Scottish Clans...... it is like their "House Order". I really liked it, that she has worn the same colours as the horse, it was a nice gesture towards Scotland.
BYe Bine

If I remember right, the Royal Regiment of Scotland is also who greets HM, The Queen when she arrives in Scotland for her summer break. Our Cruachan IV, who actually is LCpl Cruachen IV, is notorious for adding personality to greeting his Queen.

I don't think Meghan wearing the tartan was offensive to anyone. There have been times that Kate has worn the Strathearn plaid. Meghan just got a jump on it before the wedding and I'm sure if it would have been deemed offensive, it would have been pointed out and she wouldn't have worn it.

Now... if she had worn the Balmoral tartan, that might have set some eyebrows raising.

I don't think Meghan wearing the tartan was offensive to anyone.
It wasn't offensive, the Black Watch is one of generic tartans which can be worn by anyone. But it looked silly. There are a lot of other generic tartans.

IMHO If you don't have any connection with the regiment it is better to avoid to wear their tartan when this regiment is involved.

I respect that opinion. Sometimes looking into things deeper you get better understandings of the ins and outs of stuff. All I really know about tartans is that the Balmoral tartan was created by Queen Victoria's husband, Prince Albert and no one outside of the royal family is allowed to wear it. :D

Also that there was a period of Scottish history where no one was allowed to wear the tartan or a kilt at all with the Dress Act of 1746. (Thanks to the Outlander series of books).

I just wish that people would give Meghan a bit of slack, be a bit tolerant of a woman who has barely been six months in England, gave up her career and way of life for love, and is just finding her way.

I find it notable actually that the only time some posters here gave her a bit of credit for her clothes was when she wore a version of Royal 'uniform' at the Commonwealth Day church ceremony. Don't ever try anything new or different, Meghan, or you'll get blasted. It just makes me miserable on her behalf, really.

:eek::bang: PLEASE GOD NO!!! Will be adding this to my nightly prayers as well as praying that Erdem is not part of the bridal fashion in any way. I have no interest in seeing Meghan dress as a Kate clone. Two different women, two different styles and that is OK. I'm sorry but if we ever see Meghan in a pastel coat dress, I'll know it is a cry for help and she is in the sunken place.

I have no idea who Erdem is, but all I know is when I look at most of Catherine royal engagement outfits I find it suitable and appropriate for the job and status she holds. And I actually find many of her outfits pleasing and well constructed.
Meghan on the other hand...

Also no one said she needs to become a Catherine clone. But using a stylist who understands what is suitable to wear as a working royal [to be] would truly help Meghan to look and become the part- so to speak.

Which brings me back to heels to a sports event. You know, I would have been happy and fine if she wore a low block heel boots, with “low heel” being the main focus here.

Last edited:
You are better off not seeing Erdem....but if you must, look at her clothing (some of it) from the Nordic trip.

LaRae

I have no idea who Erdem is, but all I know is when I look at most of Catherine royal engagement outfits I find it suitable and appropriate for the job and status she holds. And I actually find many of her outfits pleasing and well constructed. Meghan on the other hand...

Also no one said she needs to become a Catherine clone. But using a stylist who understands what is suitable to wear as a working royal [to be] would truly help Meghan to look and become the part- so to speak.

Which brings me back to heels to a sports event. You know, I would have been happy with a low block heel boots.

And maybe that's the difference. I've found Meghan's outfits to be suitable and appropriate for the job and status she holds as well. To me that's the only requirement for royal fashion in order to look the part. Now subjectively, I don't find all of Kate's outfits pleasing, inspired or particularly stylish, but that's my own personal taste and has nothing to do with her ability to do her job. Just because we don't share the same taste, I would never accuse Kate of not having a sense of style. She has a very clearly defined fashion sense. I just don't always like it. [shrugs] I would hope people would judge Meghan's style by the same measure.

Yes my only comment (and I posted it at the time) re: Bath was I wish she hadn't worn a jean cut that required heels. I don't think a low block heel or flat boot would've worked with the jeans length. At the same time, I wasn't personally affronted by the choice because I knew she wasn't going to break into a sprint around the track.

Last edited:
Some might not like her clothes, but to say Meghan's clothing is unsuitable is going too far. Nothing has been inappropriate or unsuitable. Some people really needs to understand what they LIKE or expects the royals to wear is different than what is appropriate or suitable.

Last edited:
Some might not like her clothes, but to say Meghan's clothing is unsuitable is going too far. Nothing has been inappropriate or unsuitable. Some people really needs to understand what they LIKE or expects the royals to wear is different than what is appropriate or suitable.

Unsuitable for the job, not in general.
Royal engagement are now her job, I expect her to dress suitably for the job and type of engagement.
Just like I would expect a ceo to wear a suit or as close to that and not a pair of jeans and t-shirt or (heaven help me) sweatsuit.
Just as I would expect a chef to wear chef whites, and actor/ess to dress to the role or a red carpet event.

So yes, I expect her to dress for the job of working royal [to be], and be aware of the type of engagements she’s attending and dress accordingly (ie: no stiletto to a laid back sporting event)

In general I expected her to have a stronger grasp of this, seeing as she comes from the entertainment industry, was giving fashion advice, and as I read and understood was friends with people who understood fashion and dressing the part.
She’s coming in into a new job in a new country, the smart thing to do would have been to set aside her most of her personal likings and preferences and let someone else, someone who understands the job and the outfits right for it build her engagements outfits. Teach her what is suitable for her new position. Hack I know big shot managers and ceo’s who do that when they change jobs, let alone jobs to a new country.

I have friends who grew in a culture where jeans is accepted to a wedding and even the office, then they moved to the USA and learned that office fashion is very different in the US than back home. So they adjusted and adapted to what was suitable in their new job (the smart ones did their homework ahead of time).
Meghan’s office is now royal engagements.

You say the royal women have no uniform, but they kinda do. It varies slightly, but the jist of it is the same.
And honestly? If non working royals like autumn and Zara can pull it off on the rare occasion they attend a royal event so can Meghan Markle who is about to be a working royal (officially).

And test I am very critical because she is not a naive 20 or even 25 year old with zero experience in dressing appropriate to the office. She’s 36 years old coming from an industry where fashion is of major importance.

Again this is all just my personal opinion and perspective.

Last edited:
Unsuitable for the job, not in general.
Royal engagement are now her job, I expect her to dress suitably for the job and type of engagement.
Just like I would expect a ceo to wear a suit or as close to that and not a pair of jeans and t-shirt or (heaven help me) sweatsuit.
Just as I would expect a chef to wear chef whites, and actor/ess to dress to the role or a red carpet event.

So yes, I expect her to dress for the job of working royal [to be], and be aware of the type of engagements she’s attending and dress accordingly (ie: no stiletto to a laid back sporting event)

In general I expected her to have a stronger grasp of this, seeing as she comes from the entertainment industry, was giving fashion advice, and as I read and understood was friends with people who understood fashion and dressing the part.
She’s coming in into a new job in a new country, the smart thing to do would have been to set aside her most of her personal likings and preferences and let someone else, someone who understands the job and the outfits right for it build her engagements outfits. Teach her what is suitable for her new position. Hack I know big shot managers and ceo’s who do that when they change jobs, let alone jobs to a new country.

I have friends who grew in a culture where jeans is accepted to a wedding and even the office, then they moved to the USA and learned that office fashion is very different in the US than back home. So they adjusted and adapted to what was suitable in their new job (the smart ones did their homework ahead of time).
Meghan’s office is now royal engagements.

You say the royal women have no uniform, but they kinda do. It varies slightly, but the jist of it is the same.
And honestly? If non working royals like autumn and Zara can pull it off on the rare occasion they attend a royal event so can Meghan Markle who is about to be a working royal (officially).

And test I am very critical because she is not a naive 20 or even 25 year old with zero experience in dressing appropriate to the office. She’s 36 years old coming from an industry where fashion is of major importance.

Again this is all just my personal opinion and perspective.

Except, she has not dressed wrong in how formal/informal it should be. She's not dressing in jeans when the event calls for a day dress and hat. There has been other royals that didn't wear sneakers to sporting events. She's hardly the first one. Hell, there has been heels and skirt/dress while participating in sport events. So in that sense, no Meghan absolutely didn't break what's considered appropriate for "royal uniform" at a sporting event. She was expected to make an appearance and chat with the athletes, not compete. As long as she feels like she can walk in it, it's appropriate.

It's very interesting that you talk about how you are very critical because she should know better about what to wear, yet you say she needs to put aside her personal liking because she doesn't know better. Which is it? Either she should know better or she shouldn't. Again, it might not be to your liking or what you think she should wear, but that hardly makes it inappropriate or unsuitable.

I can't believe people are still freaking out over this after pages and pages.

Last edited:
And maybe that's the difference. I've found Meghan's outfits to be suitable and appropriate for the job and status she holds as well. To me that's the only requirement for royal fashion in order to look the part. Now subjectively, I don't find all of Kate's outfits pleasing, inspired or particularly stylish, but that's my own personal taste and has nothing to do with her ability to do her job. Just because we don't share the same taste, I would never accuse Kate of not having a sense of style. She has a very clearly defined fashion sense. I just don't always like it. [shrugs] I would hope people would judge Meghan's style by the same measure.

Exactly so. :flowers: I wish this nuance was more actively held as it becomes tiresome to hear a poster's displeasure with royal's pants (for example) for the thousand time, or the hair being pulled back too tight or too loose or whatever. These negatives get repeated endlessly when it is clear this is a style issue and the royal in question is not going to change their style.

I for one have no trouble with what Meghan has been wearing. I think she has occasionally been caught out with what she encounters weather-wise, or environmentally (cobblestones), but she is on a learning curve and she is likely taking notes. ;) It's clear Harry is no help. ?

Yes my only comment (and I posted it at the time) re: Bath was I wish she hadn't worn a jean cut that required heels. I don't think a low block heel or flat boot would've worked with the jeans length. At the same time, I wasn't personally affronted by the choice because I knew she wasn't going to break into a sprint around the track.

She is also figuring it all out. :flowers: I'm sure if we could read her diary she's making resolutions.

In a nutshell. :flowers: Well said.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom