The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 10:17 AM
Heir Apparent

I like the pants, but she should hem them by half an inch or so. I like the coat as well. I guess there was some debate about if she should've worn tartan or not on this visit? I'm not sure why, but I thought it was a good style even though I personally prefer belted coats.

I will say, it's brave to pair a loose fitting coat like this with wide legged pants though. I thought she did well,

Old 02-13-2018, 10:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

I agree with many of you. The coat is nice but Meghan is drowning in it, if it were tailored better it might work. Also, the pants are too long. I am a fan of wide legged trousers but these are too long and too big, and personally I like a more fitted top when wearing them. The bag is a little distracting but not too bad and her hair and make up are just okay. I suppose the whole outfit is a little "pedestrian" for me.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:21 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
How about she has to shake hands and meet with all the people that have lined up for hours to see them and it makes it easier to have her hands free?
Maybe, but I think it is not common for the royal ladies to wear crossbody bag unless it's a casual/sporty event?
Old 02-13-2018, 10:31 AM
Majesty

The bag sold out within minutes too. I like the navy color of it also.

LaRae
Old 02-13-2018, 10:43 AM
Majesty

To me Meghan always looks like she’s drowning in her coats. They never seem to fit. Trousers are too long.

She still hasn’t sorted her hair though. I’ve seen a couple of pictures where it’s in her face and she is pushing it back.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:20 AM
Courtier

She reminds me of Carrie in
" SATC " attending the funeral of that woman who fell off the tower block.
Maybe someone can post a Photo?
Old 02-13-2018, 11:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Y.CII View Post
Maybe, but I think it is not common for the royal ladies to wear crossbody bag unless it's a casual/sporty event?
But if she feels it's easier, what's the problem? I'm not seeing an issue if it's what she prefers, especially since I would agree it's the easiest and most convenient when doing a walk about.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:27 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
But if she feels it's easier, what's the problem?
Exactly. I always wear my bags this way. It's the only way it does not slip off my shoulders all the time. Very practical.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:36 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I like the pants, but she should hem them by half an inch or so. I like the coat as well. I guess there was some debate about if she should've worn tartan or not on this visit? I'm not sure why, but I thought it was a good style even though I personally prefer belted coats.

I will say, it's brave to pair a loose fitting coat like this with wide legged pants though. I thought she did well,
I haven't seen any debate about it?

The wide legged pants bring back the whole bell bottom thing which I'm not a fan of personally. I think some women look okay in them but usually they just end up looking like they are just wearing pants that are too big or it makes them look heavier than they are (not suited to all body sizes).

Meghan looks okay in them...but I agree they are too long. Not sure why they weren't hemmed. Maybe she doesn't mind...

I love her coat but it might of looked better belted...and I'm still wondering why no hat/coat/gloves/scarf...it was freaking cold there.

LaRae
Old 02-13-2018, 12:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
The wide legged pants bring back the whole bell bottom thing which I'm not a fan of personally. I think some women look okay in them but usually they just end up looking like they are just wearing pants that are too big or it makes them look heavier than they are (not suited to all body sizes).

Meghan looks okay in them...but I agree they are too long. Not sure why they weren't hemmed. Maybe she doesn't mind...

I love her coat but it might of looked better belted...and I'm still wondering why no hat/coat/gloves/scarf...it was freaking cold there.

LaRae
I think the wide legged pants is different enough from bell bottom. I personally love my wide legged pants, especially how flowy they are when they move. But I wouldn't touch a bell bottom with a ten foot pole. But definitely agreed that they aren't for all sizes, skinny definitely has an advantage with wide legged pants.

I'm not sure why she didn't get them hemmed either. Maybe she just got them? But yea, that' one odd thing given Meghan's understanding of tailoring.

As for the coat, I don't know if this will actually look good belted. It's a style. I like it. Again, skinny has the advantage with this style.

As for the hat/glove/scarf, I'm not understanding either. Ok, I understand no hat, but sans scarf and gloves? They are both brave. I do like that Meghan tend to go for trousers in the winter. I always wonder how the royal ladies of Europe do it with just tights in dead winter. It's got to be freezing.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:08 PM
Nobility

I think she looks pretty awesome. The pants are half an inch too long, and I would have liked a bit more color somewhere. I happen to like the semi-oversized appeareance of many of her coats, makes it look like she could wrap up cozily in them. Did have to laugh at the crossbody bag - I wear mine like that because I worry about my purse being snatched (it happened to me once and hopefully never again), but Meghan shouldn't worry about that at all! :)
Old 02-13-2018, 12:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Another miss for me I think she looks terrible everything too big
I guess this and the hair flick is going to be her look
Old 02-13-2018, 12:35 PM
Courtier

Love the tartan coat!
Old 02-13-2018, 01:11 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Coat too big, pants too long, fiddling with hair ... Meghan has a lot to learn and I am sure she will.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess gertrude View Post
I agree with many of you. The coat is nice but Meghan is drowning in it, if it were tailored better it might work. Also, the pants are too long. I am a fan of wide legged trousers but these are too long and too big, and personally I like a more fitted top when wearing them. The bag is a little distracting but not too bad and her hair and make up are just okay. I suppose the whole outfit is a little "pedestrian" for me.

Nice sum up.

I want to like the coat, but it’s too big. At least there is color though. Pants are awful. Too long and a bit too wide.

I can tell I’m going to get tired of the monochrome pants and top in a hurry.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:26 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
Nice sum up.

I want to like the coat, but it’s too big. At least there is color though. Pants are awful. Too long and a bit too wide.

I can tell I’m going to get tired of the monochrome pants and top in a hurry.
I agree Erin9 but she just might like what seems to be oversized coats.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:27 PM
Majesty

I can deal with it if she gives 'me' some color (coat/purse/scarf etc) I just don't like the total dark blah look. A nice necklace with that black turtleneck could of helped too.

LaRae
Old 02-13-2018, 01:37 PM
Courtier

I’m not a fan of the blah either. Knowing she must plan outfits ahead etc., it looks like ‘no planning’’, as if she just threw something on.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:38 PM
Courtier

I like the idea of the outfit a LOT. Love the coat, love the bag and LOOOOOVE the pants and top she wore.

The pearl detail on the pants *kisses fingers* and the green bag (d@mn it sold out!) was gorgeous with that coat. LOVE it.

My only issue was execution. I loved the pants, but I think they aren't meant for extreme cold - I think the other wide leg pants she wore would have been better. The pants here look almost like crepe rather than a thicker wool. For the look she had a thicker wool with a crease would have been soooo sharp. The pants also needed to be hemmed - they were half an inch to an inch too long. And her coat was a bit oversized and could have been nipped a bit in the waist. But I think Meghan prefers oversized coats. More on the coat later.

But having said that - I still LOVE this look. That coat - whew - gorgeous. The shape of the pants - perfect. The heels... perfect. And loved the top. I wish that bag hadn't sold out - I so would have bought that.

About the coat being oversized... I actually prefer it being an oversized coat. Too much tailoring to make it fit perfectly to her frame would have KILLED the style of the coat and actually shot it back to the 80s in terms of style in a bad way. You cannot take a traditional tartan print like this and tailor it to death without forcing it to revert to the kitschy 80s and grandma twee style back then. Basically, you'd eliminate the freshness of re-inventing the tartan for modern wear and revert it to a PTA mom in the 80s trying to look prim and proper.

NO.

The sleeves are perfectly tailored to Meghan, which proves that being oversized is the actual cut of the coat by Burberry. It's on purpose because they know that cutting it too sharply reverts the style and actively kills it.

So I understand why she left it oversized.

We could debate on whether or not Meghan can wear oversized coats, but as oversized goes, this coat isn't really THAT oversized.

I'm perfectly fine with her in that coat. The only major thing was the hem of the pants and maybe the material.

Again - LOOOOOOVE this outfit.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missjersey View Post
I agree Erin9 but she just might like what seems to be oversized coats.

She probably does. She’s talked a lot about fashion in the past. I just don’t care for it. lol Not that my opinion matters. I like outfits that are more fitted.

I could take the monochrome look better with a necklace, scarf, colorful belt, shoes,or something to break things up a bit. An outdoor coat doesn’t count to me though.

Closed Thread