Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not understand this look today. She's at a sporting event, a sporty coat and trainers would have been acceptable. She looks completely out of touch in heels and a billowing, ill fitting trench coat.

Read all the comments about today's event and Meghan's clothes........she looked great IMHO. I so love that trench coat, the color is fabulous and the style. Most trench coats that I have seen and have one are ugly tan, this one stands out on it's own. So she wears small rings, hair flies, heels on the pavement and grass, she will learn here ladies...just give her time!

She may not be sporty but there are videos of her working out with a trainer from her Suits days. It may have been a company funded trainer so when she left she lost him/her.

I don’t wear rings, but even I would never dream of wearing an engagement ring that loose. Not while knowing my fiancée took part in designing it and two of the stones in it used to be belong to his late mother. So there’s even more sentimentality value added to it behyond being an engagement ring. That’s just not a very responsible thing to do. Also that ring had to have cost a great sum of money...

As for the “giving her time” sure when it comes to overall engagements, but dressing properly for a sport event? That’a Just common sense. I don’t care about the rings (even if I do find thumb rings ummm, actually best not to say), but no stilleto, hair up... common fashion sense.

Last edited:
It should have been easy to dress for today she shouldn’t need help. I cant believe she wore heels

She's shown very little innate sense of style or fashion so far, so she'd better be using a stylist, and that stylist should be fired stat! She's either worn boring things in boring colors, over-priced and not attractive dresses, sloppily fitting clothing and shoes, and 'theme' dressing to match the pony on one engagement and the Irish Nationalist flag colors on a trip to NI. :eek: Her hair is always a mess, etc. etc.

Regarding giving her a chance, I think she's had lots of chances and so far she shows no inkling that she's not impressing. Her job is going to be representing the Crown, if she can't learn how to do it correctly then she needs to seek advise. And if the advise she is getting is not working, she needs to keep looking. Really, it's not rocket science!

I remember when Harry and Meghan were dating. One of the so called advantages Meghan had from other royal brides is her experience as a celebrity.

We were told that being an actress and walking red carpets would be a plus.

So far I haven’t seen it.

Last edited:
Nothing has been inappropriate or shocking....she just needs to consult other fashion stylists to incorporate some new things into her current way of dressing.

LaRae

She also should try different types of colors, other than neutrals or dark all the time, plus changing her really long coats

With you on the meh. It's only 14C/58F degrees there, so I get why she needs a jacket, but one that went with the jeans and polo would be much better. The trench doesn't, and so she doesn't look styled, just like she grabbed something on the way out the door to deal with the weather.

Why must she looked 'styled'? :huh: I don't get it.

I think its fine if she grabs something that looks good on her way out the door (though I do think she puts thought into anything she wears, just like we all do before we step outside). The only time she needs to look 'styled' is for an event calling for dress-up or bling. Otherwise, why not be just a regular person? :ermm:

I am revising my opinion. Thumbs up. She dressed for the participants, not for the press (and royal watchers). Puts the focus on the event and the athletes. Most appropriate for this appearance.

I see it the same way. :flowers: She's never going to be a look-at-me kind of person (as we have had with previous royals). I think that's what we're seeing. She's not about upstaging anyone. Rather she is fitting in (though in her way).

I liked her outfit. :flowers: Looked fine to me.

She's shown very little innate sense of style or fashion so far, so she'd better be using a stylist, and that stylist should be fired stat! She's either worn boring things in boring colors, over-priced and not attractive dresses, sloppily fitting clothing and shoes, and 'theme' dressing to match the pony on one engagement and the Irish Nationalist flag colors on a trip to NI. :eek: Her hair is always a mess, etc. etc.

Regarding giving her a chance, I think she's had lots of chances and so far she shows no inkling that she's not impressing. Her job is going to be representing the Crown, if she can't learn how to do it correctly then she needs to seek advise. And if the advise she is getting is not working, she needs to keep looking. Really, it's not rocket science!

(...)

What would any of us do in Meghan's shoes, try walking in those shoes, heels if they are, and then judge with a bit of kindness instead of being so negative about everything she wears or does.

And just how long has she been doing this....a few months at the most.....not like years now.....some of us just do not know rockets for we are not scientists in that field....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back to the boring clothing..and.while i don't mind the rest the coat is out of.place in my opinion

OK. I went back and forth in this thread. Seeing the pix I thought she looked boring and was ready to give up on her ever wearing an appealing outfit. But then I got into the thread with people stating she should have worn different shoes, put her hair up, she looks "out of touch" and it made me not want to contribute in the dog pile. (..)
While she was dating Harry the dressed much better than she does now; I for one don't mind she wore heels and I think it sets her a part.
(..)

Whoa, seems there is a lot of jealousy and anger directed to Meghan and some really have it out for Meghan it seems, so please tell me why aren't some here with all their knowledge of fashion work for her as a stylist?

What would any of us do in Meghan's shoes, try walking in those shoes, heels if they are, and then judge with a bit of kindness instead of being so negative about everything she wears or does.

And just how long has she been doing this....a few months at the most.....not like years now.....some of us just do not know rockets for we are not scientists in that field....

(..)

What would I do in Meghan's shoes? Realize I have a lot to learn in a short time frame and get some good advise from a non-friend, preferably someone who is familiar with the history and people of the UK. Level-headed and wise advisers, such as Catherine Quinn, are worth their weight in gold. Find one! (..) Don't think you know everything or can get by with flying by the seat of your pants, it will not be well received! I could continue, but that's enough.

(..)

I googled Meghan and her summer wardrobe definitely has colour. There are a lot of dresses in block colours but there are also the odd patterns and prints. Unfortunate, they would all be too big for her.

I really like Meghan, but since she started doing engagements with Harry and fashion style leaves a lot to be desired. Her style is not horrible, far from it, but it's a bit loose, without control, like she is not serious when choosing her clothes. Just grabs something and that's it, without effort and this is the result we get (too dark, big jackets, no color, unfitted clothes, messy hair...). But...at the same time it looks like it's made on purpose, it looks like she chooses to be this way to be discreet, to be simple and more approachable. I really don't know which way it is...We shall see if her style changes or not when she marries...

Last edited:
Btw I forgot to state that Meghan looks good but the jacket is horrible and her hair like always looks bad. I think the looks would be passable if it wasn't for that jacket.

(..)

Glad to hear we may have color coming! Interested to see what she wears to CHOGM (or whatever that acronym is).

LaRae

I really had to do a double take when I saw the heels at the stadium! Another oversized, too big, too long coat and hair flying and touching it. How about the same jacket as Harry, sneakers or shoes akin to what Harry is wearing. And hair under control. If nobody is advising her, then she should copy Harry as much as possible.

IT seems to me that what has happened is that some people think that the person in Suits and the person on the red carpet and giving interviews was the Real Meghan.

That was Meghan the Actress - at work.

In the same way that some think that Catherine likes wearing hats and matching clothes - that's work. She prefers jeans, sneakers and casual clothes.

What we are seeing is the Real Meghan - and that is good. What she hasn't done yet is sort out her "work clothes" as a royal. And that is ok because she isn't a royal yet. She is finding her way.

I do agree that she needs guidance. But H's team (and H himself) may not consider this important.

Give the girl a break. Time enough when she has been doing the job a while - officially.

This is just a thought

What would I do in Meghan's shoes? Realize I have a lot to learn in a short time frame and get some good advise from a non-friend, preferably someone who is familiar with the history and people of the UK. Level-headed and wise advisers, such as Catherine Quinn, are worth their weight in gold. Find one! (..) Don't think you know everything or can get by with flying by the seat of your pants, it will not be well received! I could continue, but that's enough.

Meghan is not yet a member of the BRF. She has done less than couple of handfuls of engagements, in a new country and in the face of constant criticism about her demeanour, fashion and comments at the Heads Together conference, mostly from people online on Twitter/Tumblr and forums.

I get it that you don't like Meghan much (it's not just her style is it) but considering it took nearly seven years for Catherine Quinn to be appointed and get improvements for Kate, how about a bit of slack for Meghan for a year or so?

She's supposed, because she was an actress to be well dressed for each occasion (a bit like those cut out dolls that little girls used to dress in books) and know exactly when to hold back, use restraint, comment/not comment as if she's a robotic seasoned Royal and has been doing this for years. And yes, imo she probably should have worn runners and a short jacket to Bath.

However, I actually think she engaged with these vets at Bath, laughed and talked with them, and she and Harry had great interaction with all the people she met. Meghan has a very easy conversational style, and people who've met her on her engagements have complimented her on it.

I doubt that any of the people she talked with today went home complaining that she wore stilettos at a track, just that she was bright, bubbly and easy to chat with.

Never did I think anyone would recommend copying Harry (or William's) fashion. Just thinking about all the complaining about the ubiquitous blue suits--it just struck me as humorous.

I think a blockier heel might have been better at a track, and the wind affected her hair and coat, but nothing was actually inappropriate. The jeans and polo were perfect.

Her engagement ring may be fine. Mine used to slide around on my finger but couldn't slip over my knuckle.

I think people who think Meghan will give them high fashion may be disappointed.

Last edited:
Meghan is not yet a member of the BRF. She has done less than couple of handfuls of engagements, in a new country and in the face of constant criticism about her demeanour, fashion and comments at the Heads Together conference, mostly from people online on Twitter/Tumblr and forums.

I get it that you don't like Meghan much (it's not just her style is it) but considering it took nearly seven years for Catherine Quinn to be appointed and get improvements for Kate, how about a bit of slack for Meghan for a year or so?

She's supposed, because she was an actress to be well dressed for each occasion (a bit like those cut out dolls that little girls used to dress in books) and know exactly when to hold back, use restraint, comment/not comment as if she's a robotic seasoned Royal and has been doing this for years. And yes, imo she probably should have worn runners and a short jacket to Bath.

However, I actually think she engaged with these vets at Bath, laughed and talked with them, and she and Harry had great interaction with all the people she met. Meghan has a very easy conversational style, and people who've met her on her engagements have complimented her on it.

I doubt that any of the people she talked with today went home complaining that she wore stilettos at a track, just that she was bright, bubbly and easy to chat with.

But this is the "Meghan Markle Fashion" thread, are we not allowed to talk about her clothes? :confused: :unsure:

Well, actually I don't think that remarks about Meghan thinking she knows it all, or 'flying by the seat of her pants' has anything to do with her fashion sense, not really. And I am just asking that she be given some slack, in fashion and other areas, at least until she actually marries into the BRF.

I never said Meghan thinks she knows it all, not once. I know you don't like my opinions, but you don't get to edit them, sorry.

Tell me please what is the *Big Deal* about Meghan wearing heels, a long trench coat, rings and wearing her hair today*.......goodness sake are some going to crucify each time she leaves the house, well Meghan stay home then and be a robot for goodness sake. It is okay to have an opinion here or elsewhere but this constant bad mouthing her at ever turn gets silly and stupid and dumb.

Her hair was down, flying something, so Meghan fix the wind, her heels were on grass, so Meghan walk elsewhere, her coat was long, so Meghan wear a shorter coat, she did not dress like Harry, so Meghan become Barbie.....nothing this girl does will please *everyone*, so she should please just herself and Harry and the h*ell with everyone else I say. I see lots of negative and jealous in comments about her since day 1.........wonder how anyone would like that said about them all the time? So we sit behind a computer and she never sees this ........wanta bet on that? Maybe not her.....yet ............

(..)

I would have preferred trainers on her. But then again I would prefer Kate wear trainers and not her wedges. At least Meghan wasn't playing sports.

I love the trench. Its fashionable, and is casual. Don't need a 'sport coat' to look casual :flowers:

I think people will just have to get accustomed to a modern duchess who dresses like a modern 30 something year old woman. How she dresses is actually on trend, why she wont fire her stylist.

I find it refreshing. It would be boring if we had two 1950's housewives.

But please Meghan, please, learn from Kate's mistakes, and tie your hair back in windy events. :sad:

Missy, you wrote as 'advice' to Meghan 'Don't think you know everything...' Which isn't usually addressed to people you don't think are behaving that way, in my experience.

I would have preferred trainers on her. But then again I would prefer Kate wear trainers and not her wedges. At least Meghan wasn't playing sports.

I love the trench. Its fashionable, and is casual. Don't need a 'sport coat' to look casual :flowers:

I think people will just have to get accustomed to a modern duchess who dresses like a modern 30 something year old woman. How she dresses is actually on trend, why she wont fire her stylist.

I find it refreshing. It would be boring if we had two 1950's housewives.

But please Meghan, please, learn from Kate's mistakes, and tie your hair back in windy events. :sad:

But that is exactly the point--I don't think either woman has been wrong in what they have chosen to wear, it is personal preference by posters that Meghan or Kate wear something else to an event.

Tell me please what is the *Big Deal* about Meghan wearing heels, a long trench coat, rings and wearing her hair today*.......goodness sake are some going to crucify each time she leaves the house, well Meghan stay home then and be a robot for goodness sake. It is okay to have an opinion here or elsewhere but this constant bad mouthing her at ever turn gets silly and stupid and dumb.

Her hair was down, flying something, so Meghan fix the wind, her heels were on grass, so Meghan walk elsewhere, her coat was long, so Meghan wear a shorter coat, she did not dress like Harry, so Meghan become Barbie.....nothing this girl does will please *everyone*, so she should please just herself and Harry and the h*ell with everyone else I say. I see lots of negative and jealous in comments about her since day 1.........wonder how anyone would like that said about them all the time? So we sit behind a computer and she never sees this ........wanta bet on that? Maybe not her.....yet ............

Thanks for this; although I highly doubt Ms Markle is reading this forum, I do think that the critics among those who do read this thread should take into account that ms Markle is a highly professional person that is on a very steep learning curve. If one compares what she wore to the Invictus games in Toronto with what she wore at the Invictus event in Bath, this tells me that she is testing the British waters to see what dress works and what doesn't. As a Canadian who has visited Britain on numerous occasions, I am always having to keep my jaw from falling on the ground when I see how British people dress. The hats! The fascinators! The shoes! The uniforms! How can people walk around in such outfits with any hope of being taken seriously. My heart goes out to Ms Markle and I do wish her all the best in trying to make sense of a very confusing dress code. Fellow posters on this forum, do please understand that Ms Markle will make many appearances wearing dress that you might find odd, but just think how she must find your dressing standards:bang::lol::flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom