Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My only problem with the Christmas Day outfit was the colour combination - brown, beige and tan!
If she had chosen differnt colours and a different hat.....she would have looked better.

I thought what she wore on Christmas was the only time the looked really put together; I liked the outfit despite hating the color brown, and her hair looked like it was brushed.
I loved her ensemble on Christmas day, even the dreaded hat that everyone seemed to hate. I loved the tone on tone of caramel and brown and I loved her little handbag.

Posts about Queen Letizia have been deleted as off-topic. Further off-topic posts will be deleted without notice.

(..)

Sorry, I can't resist pointing out that despite what any of us are thinking and feeling one way or the other about bare arms, we don't know the conditions in the building. But on the stage, they are under hot lights, which someone already mentioned earlier. No matter what the weather was outside, I'm sure Meghan was quite comfortable and not freezing on stage with bare arms. :lol: Meghan understands about filming under hot stage lights, and she's wearing exactly what she's comfortable wearing. Her dress in November at the engagement announcement was also sleeveless (and outdoors she wore a lightweight white coat to match theme of Diana's white garden).

(..)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't recall anyone discussing how the original designer dress does not have the sailor style buttoned over-strap feature on the shoulder tops. I think that added design feature looks really lovely on Meghan. I wonder if Meghan's stylist suggested that addition to add a distinctive 'sparkle', or whether it was a design option offered by Wu for his clientele when he made the original design.

Jason Wu Belted Satin Wrap Dress original designer dress

Meghan Markle Joins the “Fab Four” at the First Annual Royal Foundation Forum See close-up of the over-strap as Meghan chats with foundation participants at the gathering; it's a wide strap secured by what looks like a silver button perhaps sewn into the strap and the shoulder top (or maybe it's buttoned and removable).

Last edited:
:previous: You are right, I certainly didn't notice it wasn't part of the original design. Seems it will be worth checking any new items of clothing to see if it has a Meghan whimsical twist.

Seeing how that dress looks full length.....I really don’t like anything about it but the color.

I think the dress looks great on the model, makes it look like she has hips and it's a unique design. I can't comment on it with Meghan because I never got a chance to see her with full view.

Seeing how that dress looks full length.....I really don’t like anything about it but the color.

I don't particularly care for the way the dress looks on the model. I think it looked quite nice on Meghan. I didn't notice the straps on the runway model. It must be a removable or optional design feature. It didn't appear on the Wu dress posted on Meghan's Mirror fashion blog site.

@XeniaCasaraghi, earlier in this thread I posted a link to the RFF video and suggested scrolling to the end where we see Meghan stand up and you get a full view of how she looks in the dress. You can pause the video at that point for a good look. Here's another link to one of the videos. In this one at about 21:04 we see Meghan stand up and you can get a full view of the dress:

Looks like black long capri's and a white loose turtle neck shirt. Love the bag (navy). Not sure I'm a fan of the long capri and the high heel in this case.

For royal fashion fans, apparently Meghan is wearing trousers by @AlexanderWangNY and a jumper by @AllSaintsLive

The bag: https://www.barneys.com/product/alt...351&siteID=QFGLnEolOWg-s9cUwpZvQh6N9A1ELFm8yw

https://madaboutmeghan.blogspot.com/2018/03/first-look-harry-and-meghan-arrive-in.html The whole look.

https://rstyle.me/n/czbjens3v61

Meghan is wearing this coat today...and I like it!

LaRae

Last edited:
I don't really like the capris I'm afraid, luuuurve the bag, and don't mind the blue coat with white detailing, not all black!

Yep I feel about the same...maybe if she'd of worn a different shoe I might like the capri's better.

Glad to see a little color anyway.

LaRae

So far I like this coat the most (and the white one in their engagement photocall) and so far I don't like this bag the most, maybe because of its shape or its shade of navy (the color is a bit grey or dirty to me? I'm not sure).

I just want a colour! A purple or a burgundy please.

It looks okay but the coat looks big, and I wouldn’t wear black and navy together.

I would like her to reverse it ...wear a navy outfit with white/cream accessories.

I think the coat is shorter and that makes it boxier perhaps...not sure it's too big.

LaRae

The below Mirror article has some nice pictures of Harry and Meghan interacting with the crowd. Meghan's outfit looks good on her. The bag is cute. She always looks pulled together and stylishly comfortable. And right now, she still seems to be dressing very low key. I think it's on purpose, and I will be interested to see if she will ever truly push the envelope sartorially. Neither Harry nor William seem too interested in matters of sartorial style, even as much as their Dad is, and their great-great uncle they never knew was. The Duke of Windsor was well known for setting male fashion trends.

I hope the silly fuss over the Ralph & Russo gown has not put a damper on any of Meghan's choices -- probably it hasn't. She must be wanting to remain low key, comfortable and stylish without overtly seeming to steal anymore spotlight than is already on her. I wonder what Meghan wore to her baptism. We'll never know, but I can bet it was probably black.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/live-prince-harry-meghan-markle-12148653

I'm just about ready to see the white wedding dress, and I can't wait for Royal Ascot and Trooping the Colour in June to see what hats and outfits Meghan will wear. Surely she will be venturing into a somewhat more colorful palette that fits her aesthetic (including colors she's worn before, such as red, burgundy, cream, lavender, turquoise, light blues, gray, block colors or geometrics, flower prints, deep yellow accents maybe?)

Last edited:
I hope so, Maia. Meghan interacts well and certainly looks cheerful and happy in her own skin. I certainly don't blame her for wearing pants with the weather Britain has been having! However, although I appreciate that Meghan likes monochromes I love colour, and when the weather gets better, as Spring progresses and then summer I'm really hoping to see her in some splashes of colour such as you suggest.

It is cute when they wear mirroring colors at the same events. Still very touchy/feely...I find it charming.

I also like that you can see her freckles!

LaRae

Coat: J. Crew Tipped Topcoat
Trousers: Alexander Wang, TBD
Sweater: AllSaints “Ridley” sweater
Shoes: Manolo Blahnik BB pumps
Purse: Altuzarra “Ghianda” saddle bag

Birmingham outfit.

I'm just about ready to see the white wedding dress, and I can't wait for Royal Ascot and Remembrance Day in June to see what hats and outfits Meghan will wear.

Trooping the Colour NOT Remembrance Day. Remembrance Day is in November and the ladies wear black.

:previous: I agree with hoping she will add brighter colors, when she's ready. Meghan seems to be taking her time, so we'll see. As far as her hair, I have no complaints about the way she wears and styles her hair. She does have a habit of fiddling with it and pulling it back, but that's normal as long as she's aware of not making it too much of an affected mannerism. Still, I think Meghan is way overly scrutinized to a fault, and I include myself in that assessment. Some things are just our preferences and she doesn't need to adhere to what everyone wants. That's impossible. I like Meghan's coat styles. She really seems to love coats, especially wrap-style coats.

I see nothing wrong with Meghan's messy buns, nor with the way she wears her hair down falling around her face. She's always well-groomed and sparkling. This has to be a huge life adjustment, but she seems to be settling in with everything very well. I'm sure there's a lot of bubbling excitement building up inside her for the wedding day.

(..)

Thanks for the correction @ O-H Anglophile regarding the correct month and solemn attire for Remembrance Day services (which will be right up Meghan's aesthetic alley in terms of wearing black). :D So there's only Royal Ascot and Trooping of the Colour in June, and those celebrations should be fun to watch. Maybe Harry and William will take part in another charity polo match sometime in June this year, instead of May.

I just want a colour! A purple or a burgundy please.

It looks okay but the coat looks big, and I wouldn’t wear black and navy together.

Yeah. I don’t wear navy and black together.

The coat is better, but I guess I’m not a huge fan of wrap coats with ties. And she seems to love them. Lol

She looks good in the Capri pants and what I can see of the sweater is pretty. And it’s not straight black or a blend of neutrals.

I get it that many of you are not loving MM's choices, but I really am. Such a breath of fresh air. Such a grown woman look. More business than girlie, which is to my taste. And really well pulled together. Not at all cliche!

I get it that many of you are not loving MM's choices, but I really am. Such a breath of fresh air. Such a grown woman look. More business than girlie, which is to my taste. And really well pulled together. Not at all cliche!

I agree that Meghan's choices are appropriate and likely purposely low-key. And of course, there's no need to look over-dressed by wearing too much color.

Still, Meghan has worn a bit more color in the past. So it just makes me think her consistently dark color choices are intentional in order to not seem overly glam and because she and Harry want the focus on the peope and places they are visiting. The spotlight and scrutiny is going to be on Meghan anyway with all the anticipation of her marrying into royalty. But she probably does not want to draw any extra attention to what she wears, or to be accused of hogging the spotlight, spending too much money or being a clotheshorse in these early days before the wedding.

I'm sure that Meghan wants to be seen as serious about the charitable work and projects she intends to take on. It's all good, but I would have picked a bit brighter plaid coat for the Scotland trip. And perhaps different colors for at least the coat and maybe the pants for the visit to Wales.

Even though I'd like to see her in more color I'm okay with her overall 'work look'. If, however, she continues this monotone darker look for daytime in spring/summer (Ascot, the Trooping etc) then I will be disappointed.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom